Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i enjoyed the tv show breaking bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone takes shots at the terrible OP, but he doesn't care at all:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

goon doesnt like thing that is popular and good

news at 11

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
how can I read a full review and still not know what the show was about?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any scene where we need Skyler in there. Or Marie. Wish they were both burned from the web with balefire

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Watching the show on a new TV where everything has that soap opera effect is loving awful. It's the ultimate first world problem but the cinematography is so loving good that it sucks to have it ruined.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Watching the show on a new TV where everything has that soap opera effect is loving awful. It's the ultimate first world problem but the cinematography is so loving good that it sucks to have it ruined.

Yeah it looks pretty bad, I think most TV's have a setting that you can change though don't they? I dunno, I don't even have a TV (:smug:)

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You realize you can turn that poo poo off, right?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rape Stink posted:

man, look at all that poo poo no one is going to read.

:yeah:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sheep-Goats posted:

Is there any scene where we need Skyler in there. Or Marie. Wish they were both burned from the web with balefire

Do you really need the significance Skyler played explained to you? You can hate her character but she plays a very critical role. Agreed that Marie is mostly pointless.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm rewatching it and yeah when you binge it straight through some of the bad parts are more noticeable.

Whatever though it's a good show still.

Sheep-Goats posted:

yeah tbh gently caress 'em. danny would have been just fine Skyler was just uptight as gently caress. Remember Skyler maybe has accounting experience but Saul has had illegal doings experience for a long time, too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Do you really need the significance Skyler played explained to you? You can hate her character but she plays a very critical role. Agreed that Marie is mostly pointless.

lol

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
I didn't like how in the end it turned out that crime didn't pay. just lol

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

starry skies above posted:

I didn't like how in the end it turned out that crime didn't pay. just lol

It only paid in money i spose

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

It only paid in money i spose

And personal satisfaction and the eventual respect of your son, unless of course his mind is as hosed as his legs are.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I liked seasons 1 and 2 but was never very enthusiastic about it. It was thrilling but I would never compare "Breaking Bad" to series such as "The Wire" or "The Sopranos". Then again I am raising the bar too high. Let me be more realistic: This series is not as as good as series such as "The Good Wife", for example. It is certainly more exciting than "The Good Wife" but it is not so well structured because it runs in circles, instead of moving forward. The original plot, as good as it was, proved to be limited. They don't really have much to go on after two seasons so they started to do variations of the same plot. Variations that contradict and weaken the original story.

Indeed I think that"Breaking Bad", after watching its third season, is a minor TV series.

The hand-held camera was just bearable in the first two seasons but it gets far worse in season 3. The wobbling is now constant and many times is abrupt, jerky. The close ups are especially irritating because you can't really look at the actors as the camera doesn't stop shaking. Of course, it is done on purpose because no cameraman working in a prime time TV series could be that bad.

It is done on purpose because of the short span of attention of whoever is the idiot behind the idea of shooting all episodes as if the series is actually happening in a ship on high seas.

Unfortunately, the story itself is also not solid. Season 3 has two new and ridiculous characters: Two assassins, carrying an axe around town, who could very well be in 'Saw XXII, the real last chapter' or any of those horror movies made for tedious teenagers.

Then, there is the absolutely not credible Jesse Pinkman who, despite being a loose canon, is still alive and well. Too well, actually. Faced with the possibility of making 1.5 million dollars in three months he decides that it would be better to open a divergent, dangerous and completely unnecessary "business" of selling drugs on his own to make a fraction of the money he could make in a far safer way. It insults the intelligence of the public.

The directors of the series already ran out of ideas and are creating very artificial situations just to keep the series going on, no matter its growing lack of logic and credibility. I just couldn't believe when, in one sequence, the big boss meets personally with two street drug dealers. He, who was always so careful to keep his facade of a conservative and responsible businessman, was exposing himself in a way that didn't match with him at all.

Even more senseless is to see mister White, who became a criminal in order to provide for his family, risking everything he achieved to save Jesse Pinkman. The core of this series is that Mr. White's family comes first, no matter what. Mr. White would do anything, even become a drug dealer as he did , to provide for his family. Then he risks loosing his own life and the millions he was going to make for his family in order to save Jesse Pinkman! Let's not forget that Mr. White killed people before and let an innocent young woman die in order to protect his "business".

The only logical explanation for the many times he saves Jess, especially the two last ones, is that his family doesn't come first. Season 4 comes first...

The creators of the series want hard Jesse Pinkman in the story because he is the one with whom young people, the main public of this series, could somehow identify with. Jesse Pinkman can do all kind of stupid things and get away with them because, as long as there is a new season coming, he is immortal.

Season 3 has now several flash backs to explain things that happened during seasons 1 and 2. One flash back, for example, explains how Jesse Pinkman got a RMV. The first problem with that flashback is that it shows Jesse and his friends partying the whole night. One of the friends who was in the party, if you check season 1's episodes, was actually in jail by that time...

It is most revealing about the weakness of season 3 that a whole episode is about the chasing of a fly. Yes, they wanted to show Mr. White's state of mind but a whole episode? Besides, Mr White, whilst chasing the fly in a laboratory, falls from a height of about 5 meters, hits a big machine and from there lands on a hard floor.

There is no way he wouldn't have, at least, broken a few bones but he was perfectly fine a few hours after the accident, the only memory of it being a band-aid on his head... And one of the most advertised qualities of this series is its credibility... I actually read that many people think this series is the best TV series ever. It is disheartening.

Season 3 ends with a big cliff hanger. I am pretty sure that it will be another cry wolf, like the so misleading cliff hanger from the last episode of season 2.

I can actually guess most of what is going to happen before it happens. Season 3 should have been the end of this series but, having in mind season 4, they over stretched the story. Many illogical things that happened in series 3 happened just to justify a fourth season.

I dread to think in being subjected to another season of mediocre wobbling camera-work, reason why I will not watch season 4. Besides, season 4 will have all kind of unconvincing situations just for the sake of a fifth season.

TL:DR - The show really puts the BAD in breaking bad.

i didnt read this but breaking bad is actually pretty good but not great by any stretch of the imagination like many people think imho

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
said something about sopranos being better
i loled

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

i didnt read this but breaking bad is actually pretty good but not great by any stretch of the imagination like many people think imho

The only great TV shows ever:
-Sagan's Cosmos
-The Wire (even the bad season)
-True Detective Season 1 (not season 2 lol)
-Twilight Zone
-Twin Peaks
-Wonder Showzen
-Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job
-British Office

The contenders:
-Breaking Bad
-Sopranos if you include the final episode, not listed if you don't
-Star Trek TNG
-Monty Python
-Curb Your Enthusiasm
-Beavis and Butthead
-Jackass and Wildboyz
-Buncha Other poo poo

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
What is this television show about? Tldr

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

-Sagan's Cosmos
-Twilight Zone
-Twin Peaks
-Wonder Showzen
-British Office

The contenders:
-Breaking Bad
-Star Trek TNG
-Monty Python
-Curb Your Enthusiasm
-Beavis and Butthead
-Jackass and Wildboyz
-Buncha Other poo poo

lol no mad men gtfo

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

ArmZ posted:

lol no mad men gtfo

Hes still typing it out should be posted in a few weeks (mad men is a slow show)

opazlevi
Nov 2, 2015
you know your opinion is literally wrong when the show you call bad holds a world record for the highest rated show of all time

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

opazlevi posted:

you know your opinion is literally wrong when the show you call bad holds a world record for the highest rated show of all time

actually bad is right in the title sorry for your 'tism

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'm still baffled by all the Skylar hate. She reacted just like any wife normally would have considering her husband's odd behaviour and secrecy. "I hosed Ted" is probably my favourite line from the show, and Skylar is one of my favourite characters.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Skylar reminds me of my mom when she called me for dinner while I was playing my videogame I HATE THAT!!!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ArmZ posted:

lol no mad men gtfo

It never grabbed me because at its heart it's just aimless TV drama unlike everything else I listed there which are all genre+ instead of just "well done genre."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If Skylar were a decent person and/or a good wife she would have seen that Walt was interested in this new thing because it was fulfilling to him and likely the last thing he'd ever do before he died and instead of dragging her feet and being a sour oval office about it she could have entered her new situation with enthusiasm and aplomb. She couldn't do that because people with the creative inputs didn't want to write an 18th century ideal wife due to misplaced dogma about that making her not a real person. The reason she is a more appealing character than Marie is that she meets Walt about an eighth of the way whereas Marie would have not budged an inch on her stupid prejudicial and backward way of approaching her marriage. Unfortunately her almost refusal to play ball puts in the same camp and role as a lot of other characters in the show and she becomes just another brick in a wall Walt has to climb over to make the show worth a gently caress.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

It never grabbed me because at its heart it's just aimless TV drama unlike everything else I listed there which are all genre+ instead of just "well done genre."

it's funny you posted this right before a bad analysis of breaking bad, a truly aimless drama

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
My brain couldnt process Hal not being Hal, thus i never got past episode 1.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yolomon Wayne posted:

My brain couldnt process Hal not being Hal, thus i never got past episode 1.

I think you'd enjoy the alternate ending, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD2Dvzadhvk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

-Sagan's Cosmos
-Twilight Zone
-Twin Peaks
-Wonder Showzen
-British Office

The contenders:
-Breaking Bad
-Star Trek TNG
-Monty Python
-Curb Your Enthusiasm
-Beavis and Butthead
-Jackass and Wildboyz
-Buncha Other poo poo

I mostly agree with your list except I would move Sopranos (including final episode... if you dont like the ending youre an idiot. if you dont think the final episode in its entirety is great you're dumb as gently caress.) into the Greats tier. I'd also add King of the Hill and Simpsons thru season 8 to greats. Never seen wonder showzen and Tim Eric whatever just isnt my type of humor for the most part although some of the clips I see from there have been funny.

• Locked thread