Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
For a long period of my life, about the ages 0-20, I was not a drunkard.

You see, when I was a young adolescent I embraced weed, hallucinogens, and stimulants. That trifecta of daily usage (well... with the hallucinogens maybe 3 times a week) led me to a pretty decent university studying physics.

It is there that I discovered drinking and boy howdy did I love it. I loved it to the point that I basically ruined every opportunity that was hamfisted into my retarded and unaccepting jaws, and for that I have pledged that from the end of this box of wine, I shall adhere to a very stringent policy of inebriation:

1) Marijuana -- I do not currently use the demon weed but I enjoy it from time to time. If it staves off alcohol, well then... I will smoke more of it.
2) LSD - I will have at least 3 trips a year, with real LSD, not some of those analogs that just.... really kind of suck.
3) MDMA - I will roll between 2-8 times a year, depending on if it feels right.
4) Ketamine - But only in amount that I can properly K-hole myself while listening to Underworld
5) Coke - If it's free, let's party

Other hallucinogens I will consider but they must be something along the lines of peyote or 2C-B.

Who else wants to quit alcohol with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
im trying to drink more, idiot

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750569

stop triggering me

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
AA sure has changed.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I have a similar experience except I drank from 15-19, then switched to weed and became a semi functional human for three years.

Then everything fell apart and I've been a low functioning alcoholic for another three years.

Idk :shrug:

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
I learned something from a pilot friend that I still follow to this day: 12 hour bottle to throttle.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Don't be a quitter, follow your dreams.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i'll quit* drinking if you share your coolguy drugs with me op

*no i wont

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
too many calories in drinks, i had to give most of it up in order to stay lean

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010

Jesus Christ posted:

You see, when I was a young adolescent I embraced weed, hallucinogens, and stimulants. That trifecta of daily usage (well... with the hallucinogens maybe 3 times a week) led me to a pretty decent university studying physics.

It is there that I discovered drinking and boy howdy did I love it. I loved it to the point that I basically ruined every opportunity that was hamfisted into my retarded and unaccepting jaws, and for that I have pledged that from the end of this box of wine, I shall adhere to a very stringent policy of inebriation:

1) Marijuana -- I do not currently use the demon weed but I enjoy it from time to time. If it staves off alcohol, well then... I will smoke more of it.
2) LSD - I will have at least 3 trips a year, with real LSD, not some of those analogs that just.... really kind of suck.
4) Ketamine - But only in amount that I can properly K-hole myself while listening to Underworld

Other hallucinogens I will consider but they must be something along the lines of peyote or 2C-B.

1) quit smoking weed to pass a drug test for a rad job. still don't really, but a hoot before I play D&D makes it more carefree and silly.

2) hallucinogens are dumb. bad trips suck.

3) you're a loving idiot.

4) ^^ same as 3

5) nice, but expensive and I do like sleeping before noon as I am an adult.

just drink you pussy. goddamn jesus christ don't be such a pussy about your own blood.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Zzulu posted:

too many calories in drinks, i had to give most of it up in order to stay lean

if u gently caress enough per day you can drink unlimited calories, it's hte james bond diet

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
drugs are loving great op

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I quit drinking Friday night OP. At least until my next night off of work when I will drink again.

shreks machine
May 24, 2015
didnt read the thread but how else will i manage my crippling mental illness huh smart guy

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
realistically, you can get away with drinking every day for like 30 years before the really bad stuff happens

do that, OP

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

VikingSkull posted:

realistically, you can get away with drinking every day for like 30 years before the really bad stuff happens

do that, OP

Beside losing a kidney or getting cirrhosis of the liver I've basically had all the bad things that can happen, happen, so I figure since those and dying in a gutter are the last things to check off my drinking bucket list I might as well just quit while I'm ahead (behind?)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You never had breast cancer. There is a plus in this, after all.

Hey, Jude, what are you waiting for?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Cutting back owns. I can buy a six pack and have it last 3 days. Though not always. I can go to a bar and have a lot of fun off of 20 bucks. I can wake up not feeling like dog poo poo. I can go weeks without even really wanting a drink and then when I do a couple is good enough. Also my liver is not slowly imploding. Sure I can't put it away like I used to and have to be careful of that fact when serious drinking is called for, but overall A +++ would tone it way the gently caress down again.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I will not be joining you on your idiot endeavour, op

Goddess bless

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
ya i cut out delicious beer so i can further my gains

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I've never been a heavy drinker and I probably never will be

:(

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
JC you were drunk last night and sent me a PSD of some album cover to fix in Photoshop and then never told me what you wanted me to do to it. So if you want me to do something you should probably stay sober enough to remember to tell me what to do.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
If and when cannabis becomes fully legal, i'll take that over the booze as my drug of choice

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jesus Christ posted:

didn't you turn a bunch of water into booze so others could get drunk you hypocrite

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

gently caress da Mods posted:

ya i cut out delicious beer so i can further my gains

Rye whiskey is low in calories, delicious, and good for your humors

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Marijuana is legal here, as is alcohol, so I consume as much of both as possible.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i think you should try the high that is sobriety, op

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
My genes were never meant to be passed on, so bring on the liquor.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

whatever is driving you to oliberate yourself, op, could be better investigated w a methodology that isn't brute force!!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

fun fact: 1p-lsd is essentially real lsd (not like those lovely 2c-x) and you can buy it legally on the clearnet

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

in recognition that the "self" is a continual synthesis, and that the curiosity of selves to undermine themselves and to investigate the activity on which they are founded is as ancient as the self, i applaud "your" striving to restructure "your" "self" through substance (ab)use;

nevertheless, i suspect that "your" "self" has actually latched onto this substance (ab)use as a kind of dead-man switch, threatening to detonate itself and everything it temporarily organizes, if the urges that constitute "you" continue to threaten to destabilize and destroy it from within;

what i mean is that what began as an investigation into the pliability of the self has become a set of defense mechanisms for that very same, no-longer-pliable self under seige

YOU NEED TO BE MORE FRIENDLY TO "YOUR" "SELF," or it will never relinquish its death-grip on the vital forces of which both "you" and "it" are constituted

try to make peace with yourself and convince it, in a spirit of friendship and love, that both of you can and should change, together

replacing one form of substance abuse for another is not going to fool your self; it's onto you, op; in some sense, it is you

you need to be honest with yourself if anything is going to change for the better: hence, i suggest sobriety as the newest and best high of your life

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

you are in a mexican standoff with yourself op; a scenario of mutually assured global destruction; the only way forward is radical disarmament!

you're going to have to put down your gun before your self puts its down, however

unfortunately, this means putting yourself in a position of absolute and mortal vulnerability

this will be the hardest moment

you have to stare your self in the eyes and know that it could destroy you, if it so chooses

at that point, you will have to be strong

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I stayed drunk from 18-28. Dropped out of a good college, then a lovely university, slowly down-grading my employment as well. Things eventually got pretty bad.
Now, I havent been drunk in a year, still smoke weed er'ry day, and things are improving.
Finally, being a quitter worked in my favor.

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

I quit drinking yesterday afternoon.
Until next Saturday, when I again feel the need to be an emotionally turbulent individual for a few hours.

Xile
Nov 25, 2005

On the Seventh Day he made the Whopper.
I was a drunkard from 21-33. A bad one too.

About two years ago I got my Medical Marijuana card and quit drinking completely.

I've lost 60lbs and finally feel like I can function as a responsible adult.

Your experience may vary.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Quitter.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

lol if you can't drink the sensible amount of drunks required to nullify the pain of life and instead go way overboard and get drunk as gently caress every day. just lol

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Hell Yeah posted:

lol if you can't drink the sensible amount of drunks required to nullify the pain of life and instead go way overboard and get drunk as gently caress every day. just lol

someone who is smart enough to understand The Truth needs to get drunk as gently caress everyday to nullify the pain. a sensible number of drinks won't cut the mustard.

that's why bad alcoholics are usually genius-level, whereas hard drinkers are frat boys and such.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

that (feeling of the) Truth is actually a (dys)function of your brain which you are trying to alter or correct by the introduction of otherwise unavailable chemicals

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

Rye whiskey is low in calories, delicious, and good for your humors

want some rye? course ya do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Told my boss I'm a high functioning alcoholic and a gambler, and he laughed and said he's a high functioning alcoholic but not a gambler though. Drinking has helped me climb the bureaucratic ladder.

• Locked thread