Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
http://deadstate.org/man-commits-suicide-after-court-ordered-christian-drug-treatment-program-tried-to-un-gay-him/

quote:

Recently the New York Times ran a series of articles highlighting the growing trend and dangers of arbitration over traditional litigation. In its final piece of the series it featured a story about Nicklaus Ellison. Ellison was in court facing charges of drunk driving after allegedly “breaking his probation …and crashing into four parked cars,” said Cheryl Spivey,his mother, to the NY Times. Facing jail time, the judge instead offered the young man a final option — enrolling in Teen Challenge, a drug-treatment program that encourages participants to become more “Christ-like.”

Ellison, an openly gay 20-year-old, was reported to have many had issues with complying with the program, and eventually left one afternoon and was tragically found the next morning dead from drugs and alcohol by a stranger he’d met the night before.

What troubled his family beyond his death was letter they found in his backpack to his sister saying that the program, in addition to curing his drug and alcohol problems had tried to make him “un-gay”

Suspicious and distraught by her son’s death and the letter found, his mother attempted to sue Teen Challenge looking for answers as to what could have happened to her son during his stay at the facility that was meant to treat his drug and alcohol addiction, not his sexuality. However, she was shut down by the organization and told a lawsuit was not possible because upon intake to the program, Ellison had signed an arbitration contract that agreed all matters and disputes pertaining to Teen Challenge must be settled through a Christian arbitration process that would be bound not by state or federal law, but by the Bible where “The Holy Scripture shall be the supreme authority”

Unable to legally take the organization to court, Ellison’s family had no recourse or way of ever knowing what happened to her son while in Teen Challenges care.

Today, there are a growing number of websites run by numerous Christian law firms that instruct Churches and Non-Profits how to utilize religious arbitration to “Keep their businesses out of courts” as one such site advertises:

Every year, thousands of lawsuits are filed in America against churches, schools, other non-profits, and related entities. These lawsuits range from injuries on church property to disagreements over employment, from accidents on youth group trips to cases of sexual abuse. Indeed, the recently publicized sexual abuse cases and multi-million dollar settlements within the Catholic Church should warn church leaders of the risk of such cases within their own churches.

The website then goes on to list the steps these organizations must take in order to avoid court interference and operate under their own moral codes.

“Our secular court system is darn good,” Bryce Thomas, former attorney turned Christian conciliator told the New York Times. “But it doesn’t get into deep moral issues like sin and reconciliation.”

Unfortunately for many within these religious communities and those being served by non-profits operating under contracts with arbitration agreements, they have no recourse for traditional litigation and it leaves them no access to their basic rights as citizens.

However, what the New York Times article glosses over is the fact that Ellison, an openly gay 20-year-old male, was sentenced by a secular court to Teen Challenge, an openly uber-Christian center for recovery. It was either that or jail. And it is this piece of Ellison’s story that should be of concern to those of us living in California with the largest prison population in the nation.

Unfortunately, in California there are currently only 161 free treatment centers operating, many of them funded by Christian and other religious charity organizations.

While of course most of the facilities are operating with good intentions from their various moral perspectives, the growing trend of faith-based arbitration creates the potential for many men and women in the judicial system to be handed down, with minimal oversight, from the justice system and into the quickly expanding superseding-wild-west dictates of a religious “tribunal” that potentially perceives religious indoctrination as important as recovery.

This may sound far fetched, but take for example the Salvation Army: for the last few decades as jails crowded in California, many drug offenders were released early and ordered upon parole to enroll in The Salvation Army’s 6- month in-patient rehabilitation program. The organization has operated for decades under a more militarized but nonetheless early model of Christian based arbitration.

The bottom line is that in a country where the concept of separation of church and state has gradually been reduced to a suggestion, religious arbitration grows in acceptance and holds up in cases reaching as far as the Supreme Court. Instead of being a nation founded on religious freedom, we are becoming a nation sentencing it’s citizens to religion.

I am a Christian and also a Lesbian but I know that lots of organizations that make a huge point of proclaiming their Christianity are not the kind that would tolerate me. My own church was talking about sin for instance and I know our church's stance on sin is not the list of 7 or 10 things you better not do or you'll go to hell kind of image that some traditions have. There is a wide wide wide gulf of thought on the issues of biblical authority and sin and reconciliation which in my understanding is not as true as of the law where there are behaviors that are clearly allowed and not allowed with only one common law tradition rather than churches where there are thousands of different theologies. As a Marxist, sin isn't just a personal thing but a corporate one, systemic, institutional racism is sin, magnified.

But beyond that, I often hear fear mongering from conservatives about Sharia law, isn't this basically the same thing? The Sharia law issue came up when Canada supposedly was allowing Muslim arbitration that used Sharia law in divorce cases and conservatives lost their loving minds.

I am very skeptical of binding arbitration clauses. They aren't fair. This man signed a contract because the alternative was jail and the person making the contract has all the power. Its not this image of two private citizens engaging in a mutually benficial agreement within a perfect liberal meritocracy, there are power disparities between people. There are material conditions that contracts occur within. And the arbitration are biased and also are incredibly expensive for the party that is suing. Add on to this what is likely to be a fundamentalist theology and you have a recipe for giving this program license to do whatever it wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I still have absolutely no idea how signing away your rights is even remotely legal- especially if you're under court order to go to a program.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mandy Thompson posted:

But beyond that, I often hear fear mongering from conservatives about Sharia law, isn't this basically the same thing? The Sharia law issue came up when Canada supposedly was allowing Muslim arbitration that used Sharia law in divorce cases and conservatives lost their loving minds.

yep. conservatives are not worried about religious law. they are worried about other religions religious law.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yep. conservatives are not worried about religious law. they are worried about other religions religious law.

Indeed. Religious law isn't the problem that these loons have with sharia; rather, the problem is that it's from the wrong religion.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoft posted:

I still have absolutely no idea how signing away your rights is even remotely legal- especially if you're under court order to go to a program.

It can't be. The law is hosed up in a lot of ways but I can't imagine these organizations could have total carte Blanche on a person's life because they chose a different option for court ordered rehab

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Arbitration agreements are also being used by corporations to prevent class action lawsuits. It is very legal and very real. Turns out mandating arbitration when one party is much more powerful than the other is a really stupid idea, and I said as much during the sharia thread.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
Why should an agreement the guy signed have anything to do with whether his family can sue though? I assume they didn't sign any arbitration agreement.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoft posted:

This.

I guess the smart move is to now go out and become an arbitrator who rules in favor of people instead of corporations. Why? Well, typically in these agreements both parties actually have to agree to an affordable arbitrator, so just refuse the corporate one and offer up your "affordable candidate" and take them to real court when they don't agree to the one you choose.

I was under the assumption that the agreements often had a "voluntary" aspect to them, i.e. they're phrased in ways such as "an arbitrator that both parties agree to will be chosen" basically banking on the fact that no one would know enough about the system to try to challenge them. Is this at all true? Do both parties have to agree on the arbitrator and can I start a firm of arbitrators?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yawgmoft posted:

When I was in college I took a law class. The lawyer teaching the class basically said that no contract can go over a persons rights. I imagine its basically can the person afford a good enough lawyer to fight long enough for them that they can have recourse.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What's stopping us from forming our own, cut-rate arbitration firm that offers consumers a competitive alternative to arbitrators chosen by corporations?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

RaySmuckles posted:

What's stopping us from forming our own, cut-rate arbitration firm that offers consumers a competitive alternative to arbitrators chosen by corporations?

I assume that when corporations force you to agree to arbitration, they specify which arbitrating service will be used. They'd be crazy not to.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crigit posted:

I assume that when corporations force you to agree to arbitration, they specify which arbitrating service will be used. They'd be crazy not to.

Right, that's what I thought, but when I read the NYT article listed above there were no specific arbitrators or firms listed, just "one that both parties can agree to/afford." So if we started a consumer oriented arbitration firm why couldn't people request that those services be used and take them to court when the corporation disagrees with the choice?

If someone knows more about the specifics on this, please chime in. My last post pointed out the language that seemed to required voluntary compliance by both parties, so if you just jam up this part of the system it seems that arbitration has no leg to stand on. Like you can just not agree to the ones they have and keep recommending affordable alternatives and eventually you'll both be forced into the regular court system to figure this out.

I figured that was one of the ways arbitration was legal at all, is that there's some veneer of both parties voluntarily complying. Just give consumers a choice in arbitrators and the whole arbitration thing will disappear as quickly as it appeared.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
from here: https://www.workplacefairness.org/forced-arbitration-agreements

12. What is the standard for arbitrator bias?
An area of unconscionability which courts are very sensitive to in general is any biased method of selecting the arbitrator. For instance, if the employer maintains complete control over selection of the arbitrator, most courts have found the agreement unenforceable. Unfortunately, this is a situation that is still somewhat difficult to discover, as employers often use what appear to be neutral or independent agencies to supply arbitrators. However, in many situations, these agencies actually advertise their services exclusively to employers and emphasize that they are a means of controlling the cost of employee claims. Also, there are times when arbitrators do regular business with an employer and depend upon the income from that employer's business. All of these are factors that can influence a court in deciding whether an arbitration "agreement" is unenforceable because it does not protect the employee's right to a neutral party as an arbitrator.

Boom, consumer friendly arbitration firm idea born. If you can get into a legal fight about how arbitrators are selected then you can kill arbitration. Provide a "neutral," incredibly cheap service, marketed to individuals forced into arbitration. When there is a fight over arbitrator selection then you take it to court and we find out if the Justice system is well and truly hosed.

I'm telling you guys, "voluntary compliance" is the key to this whole thing and its the pillar we must attack hardest. Once arbitration loses that credibility then it'll lose its legal standing too.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

RaySmuckles posted:

1. You are a goon

2. Go back to 1.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

1. You are a goon

2. Go back to 1.

There are no legal requirements for being an "arbitrator."

But hey, instead of discussing a topic, lets poo poo on it and then go back to complaining about the subject at hand.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RaySmuckles posted:

Will you rig arbitration in a corporation's favor? If not, what is their incentive to write you into their contracts?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

Will you rig arbitration in a corporation's favor? If not, what is their incentive to write you into their contracts?

Because companies don't write in a specific arbitrator, and even if they did, the terms of the contracts require you to agree to the person they choose. So, you just say, "I don't agree to this arbitrator and instead offer up this cheaper one. Good luck fighting that in court."

Voluntary compliance is the key to the issue. If you just don't agree to the ones they provide and instead offer a credible, affordable alternative what basis do corporations have for turning that one down and can either party go to court to find out exactly how an arbitrator is selected? Otherwise just continually decline the company suggestions and counter with offers of your own until a court is forced to rule on the issue.

There is no way courts will rule that "Companies get to pick the guy and you're stuck with it." So long as your alternative is equally credible and equally, if not more so, affordable, then I don't see a legal reason for a company to reject your offer.

Can anyone with experience in this talk about arbitrator selection?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I think arbitration has its place in certain religious situations. If a member of a church or mosque has a minor dispute with another member and that can be solved to the satisfaction of both parties, ok then. But something like the case in the OP, or a case I recall in Texas (I think) where a woman was told by a religious arbitrator from her church that she had to stay in an abusive relationship, that's definitely not ok. In the context of certain churches arbitration is sometimes used to defend spousal abusers and child molesters. I'm not a lawyer (obviously) but it seems to me that any situation involving a death. physical harm, or money over a certain amount should by default be handled by the court system and not a arbitratior.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nckdictator posted:

I think arbitration has its place in certain religious situations. If a member of a church or mosque has a minor dispute with another member and that can be solved to the satisfaction of both parties, ok then. But something like the case in the OP, or a case I recall in Texas (I think) where a woman was told by a religious arbitrator from her church that she had to stay in an abusive relationship, that's definitely not ok. In the context of certain churches arbitration is sometimes used to defend spousal abusers and child molesters. I'm not a lawyer (obviously) but it seems to me that any situation involving a death. physical harm, or money over a certain amount should by default be handled by the court system and not a arbitratior.

Seems to me like we have a justice system for a reason and forced arbitration should be illegal. "But then all arbitration would be illegal!" Yeah. So? :colbert:

Remember, most of the issues with the justice system come from being underfunded. Not enough attorneys and judges on staff to hear cases. If we just funded the loving thing, like most of our floundering civil institutions, it'd work better.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

RaySmuckles posted:

Because companies don't write in a specific arbitrator, and even if they did, the terms of the contracts require you to agree to the person they choose. So, you just say, "I don't agree to this arbitrator and instead offer up this cheaper one. Good luck fighting that in court."

Um, corporations are great at fighting things in court, and it isn't hard for corporate sponsored arbitration to compete on costs with "consumer friendly" arbitration since they stand to materially gain more from favorable outcomes. And all of that ignores if the justice system simply rules in favor of the corporations without much fight. The assumption that you simply do not have to agree and that you could find favorable arbitration does not seem to mesh with the horror stories I have been reading about arbitration, including the article in the OP.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

archangelwar posted:

Um, corporations are great at fighting things in court, and it isn't hard for corporate sponsored arbitration to compete on costs with "consumer friendly" arbitration since they stand to materially gain more from favorable outcomes. And all of that ignores if the justice system simply rules in favor of the corporations without much fight. The assumption that you simply do not have to agree and that you could find favorable arbitration does not seem to mesh with the horror stories I have been reading about arbitration, including the article in the OP.

Hey, great points!

Its true that corporations are great at fighting things in court, I never said this was "1 weird trick," but it seems to me to be a chink in the armor. Worth exploring. And good point about competitive pricing. Its all stuff that needs to be looked into more.

The link I posted had something about courts ruling that contracts are the foundation of arbitration law in the first place. It said something about both participants being equally represented and I think there is a lot of room to explore and push on that front.

I think a lot of the worst abuses of arbitration are against people most ignorant about it, and just consulting a lawyer once or twice isn't going to give you any edge. Its just that if this is the system and its only legal because of voluntary compliance then there is an avenue to exploit. It won't be easy and it won't change the landscape, but I think there's a market and room for growth. The limits and rights of all parties needs to be tested.

edit: the fact that there's no discovery in arbitration just goes to show how skewed the system is. How can you demonstrate anything when the company can just legally hide poo poo?

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 8, 2015

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

RaySmuckles posted:

Seems to me like we have a justice system for a reason and forced arbitration should be illegal. "But then all arbitration would be illegal!" Yeah. So? :colbert:

Remember, most of the issues with the justice system come from being underfunded. Not enough attorneys and judges on staff to hear cases. If we just funded the loving thing, like most of our floundering civil institutions, it'd work better.

Oh, no doubt. Forced arbitration is ghastly and should be 100% illegal. I can't imagine any reason why a private company would need it besides wanting to screw people over. I was just talking about optional arbitration in minor, religious situations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Being able to possibly select the arbitrator does nothing to change the really damaging effect of these clauses, which is that they essentially remove the consumer's right to participate in a class-action lawsuit. This allows companies to get away with a lot of bullshit, because no one's going to go to arbitration over $50, but if they take $50 of of 100,000 customers (for example), they've made an extra $5mil.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Being able to possibly select the arbitrator does nothing to change the really damaging effect of these clauses, which is that they essentially remove the consumer's right to participate in a class-action lawsuit. This allows companies to get away with a lot of bullshit, because no one's going to go to arbitration over $50, but if they take $50 of of 100,000 customers (for example), they've made an extra $5mil.

This is also true. Totally right.

What we can do is try to lobby for the repeal of the 1925 Federal Arbitration Act which is the legal foundation for all of this. That or a new law altogether.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

Oh, no doubt. Forced arbitration is ghastly and should be 100% illegal. I can't imagine any reason why a private company would need it besides wanting to screw people over. I was just talking about optional arbitration in minor, religious situations.
You have a very limited imagination if you cannot think of a legitimate reason for private arbitration. It's a massive part of the American Justice System, allows disputes to be settled faster and for a lower cost than using the public courts system, and saves money.

In regards to the situation outlined in the OP; private arbitration bound by religious books is just a small hosed up part of the bigger problem. Why the gently caress are courts ordering people to enter religious rehab programs?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

NathanScottPhillips posted:

You have a very limited imagination if you cannot think of a legitimate reason for private arbitration. It's a massive part of the American Justice System, allows disputes to be settled faster and for a lower cost than using the public courts system, and saves money.

In regards to the situation outlined in the OP; private arbitration bound by religious books is just a small hosed up part of the bigger problem. Why the gently caress are courts ordering people to enter religious rehab programs?

That was the thing I was wondering myself. Did the judge state outright 'This is a christian group and therefore is the right choice' or did he say 'this group has volunteered to take you' or some stupid poo poo like that?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Haven't they been doing this for ages with AA, though? Granted, that isn't as explicitly religious, but it's still religious enough that the government shouldn't be able to compel people to attend.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Although the background and outcome of the case and the family being barred from suing is absolutely atrocious, this guy wasn't FORCED to go to this place. He was given the option as an alternative to jail time.

It's still hosed up to me that your only other option would be a religious group that can make you suit their doctrinal purposes in any way they want but let's not exaggerate what actually happened in a case that's already gross enough as is.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Although the background and outcome of the case and the family being barred from suing is absolutely atrocious, this guy wasn't FORCED to go to this place. He was given the option as an alternative to jail time.

This. People are given the "choice" but I think we can agree there's a touch of coercion sandwiched in there

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RaySmuckles posted:

This. People are given the "choice" but I think we can agree there's a touch of coercion sandwiched in there

Yeah definitely, absolutely no one is going to choose jail time over weird religious rehab even if it's fundamentally against your beliefs. And it's still a terrible thing but it's not something a court can directly sentence you to like a lot of people in this thread seem to think or be implying. It's a whole different type of problem altogether.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

These sort of arbitration agreements are an area of the law I know only a very little about but my first intuition is that the agreement in the OP is not remotely enforceable in this situation.

I wish one of our legal goons with knowledge in this area would chime in on this.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

I wish one of our legal goons with knowledge in this area would chime in on this.

And arbitrator selection, please? Plaintiff/defendant rights?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
So, given that corporations can have a religious affiliation, how long until they start mandating arbitration under religious law?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm not FORCING you to hand over your wallet, its just an option alternative to me murdering you.

This kind of contract was signed under textbook duress.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

I'm not FORCING you to hand over your wallet, its just an option alternative to me murdering you.

Would someone be able to argue that there's an implied threat of violence in being sent to prison, or is that just nonsense my non-lawerly brain came up with? I mean we all know that there is, but would that stand up in court (almost certainly not, I suppose)?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

LeJackal posted:

No it's not, congrats on finding the one part of this that isn't hosed up to bitch about.

Unlike getting murdered him going to jail was a correct legal outcome.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
I don't see why they couldn't have allowed him to transfer to a secular drug program that isn't run by evangelicals.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

I still have absolutely no idea how signing away your rights is even remotely legal- especially if you're under court order to use a program.

The basic idea of being able to sign away your right to use the normal court system by agreeing to arbitration is sound - there are legitimate uses for arbitration, the court system tends to approve of disputes being settled outside of the courtroom since the legal system is overloaded enough already, and arbitration would be useless if one party could unilaterally renege and take it to real court in hopes of a different decision.

The problems are that the court system has taken an overly generous and naive view toward organizations and companies forcing everyone they deal with to sign an arbitration agreement, that individual judges don't always pay very close attention to the details of the programs they're ordering people to sign up for (and sometimes that judge actually believes in that kind of program), and that the relative lack of good drug programs that aren't tied to religion or other stupidity often limits the options of even genuinely well-meaning judges who just want people to get treatment rather than prison.

RaySmuckles posted:

Since no corporation will ever agree to using your firm, you're not going to get any business; at best, you'll just be stalemating corporations into real court rather than their own arbitrators. If you're not getting any business, then you're not making any money, so you can't afford employees or marketing or office space, so your arbitration firm enters a death spiral that ends when no one has even heard of you, or when your operation is so pathetic that a court rules that you're not a real arbitration firm that qualifies as a credible option.

Mandy Thompson posted:

I don't see why they couldn't have allowed him to transfer to a secular drug program that isn't run by evangelicals.

The article only briefly touches on this, but there may not have been an affordable one nearby. Free drug treatment programs are essentially charity, so there aren't a lot of them, and the majority of them are religious-run.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

As a weirdo who reads EULA's and contracts before signing them, arbitration agreements generally have some clause in them where the company will pick 7 arbitrators and then you and them will take turns "Crossing Out" one name on the list until only one is left. This gives you enough "choice" to get around legal problems, as far as I can tell, but is still completely bullshit since you're not picking any of them to begin with.

Anyway the big deal with arbitration is that once an arbitrator decides against a company, that company will never, ever use them again. You, a person, will probably only need an arbitrator once or twice in your life, but a company could use one constantly. Arbitrators know where their money comes from, and since they generally don't have to make their results public there's really no reason why they shouldn't all just decide for the corp every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

RaySmuckles posted:

And arbitrator selection, please? Plaintiff/defendant rights?

My understanding is that the lawsuit should be directed at the State requiring the usage of programs that demand issues be resolved through religious arbitration.

Arbitration is a preferred means of conflict resolution because it alleviates strain on the court system. There is a hesitancy to overturn agreements to resolve issues via arbitration because, at least in theory, both parties agreed to utilize arbitration without being under duress. If you could just re-neg on your agreement to utilize arbitration then it would serve no purpose as a means of conflict resolution.

I have some reservations about the narrative provided in the story posted in the OP. Sweeping denials of liability like the one presented in the story are not enforceable, and it certainly would not be an open and shut decision as to whether or not the family had standing to sue Teen Challenge.

• Locked thread