Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah if they give you that test or whatever that should be more than enough. Unless you do bad then you're hosed :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
What are the websites that have the security clearance results and the courts martial results available? I'm blowing someone's mind right now that these are all publicly available off a home computer and want to give them a few laughs.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

oh yeah if they give you that test or whatever that should be more than enough. Unless you do bad then you're hosed :shrug:

Finally got that waiver letter, records of my initial diagnosis... college transcripts, high school transcripts, a 10-year-old receipt for an Adderall prescription fill...

If they ask for any more medical paperwork, I am gonna scream. I'd rather not get denied a security clearance or get discharged if MEPS finds out that I didn't mention having some surgery or being on some medication or another years ago (and I've heard horror stories about people getting pulled out of basic for not telling the medical officer that they were on antidepressants for a year in high school), but at this point I can't even remember the name of the GP I saw five years ago, much less how to get documentation for anything and everything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The key is to not be caught hiding something. This is one of the few areas within the military where common sense actually seems to apply. They actually care if the omission was an error or a lie.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Godholio posted:

The key is to not be caught hiding something. This is one of the few areas within the military where common sense actually seems to apply. They actually care if the omission was an error or a lie.

Yeah, I went ahead and laid out my medical history to the best of my ability while still making sure that I only answered the questions that I was asked. Judging from how often ADHD specifically came up in the initial recruitment form and the last medical form that the recruiter gave me, that seems to be a huge concern in the military compared to other conditions, so I don't expect a call on Monday asking if I can provide the paperwork for the two minor surgeries I had as a kid.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Oh Hell No posted:

Yeah, I went ahead and laid out my medical history to the best of my ability while still making sure that I only answered the questions that I was asked. Judging from how often ADHD specifically came up in the initial recruitment form and the last medical form that the recruiter gave me, that seems to be a huge concern in the military compared to other conditions, so I don't expect a call on Monday asking if I can provide the paperwork for the two minor surgeries I had as a kid.

If the surgeries were minor and the applicant was really young, I used to have the parents write a letter to the medical officer saying what happened and that it wouldn't be possible to get medical records because your family practitioner was dead/moved out of state/no longer practiced and the records were destroyed in a flood/fire/locust swarm etc.

Then I'd have them reiterate how there was no lasting impact and you were 100 percent capable.

It was easier to do that with dudes who couldn't take a hint and insisted on telling everyone about the time they got a crayon stuck in their nose when they were 2. That was if the docs did have questions I had the letter up front and it takes less time to have them write something while I am looking at them then to have to track people down.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Wow I click this thread for the first time in months and I can reply with something useful!

Cenen posted:

What are the websites that have the security clearance results and the courts martial results available? I'm blowing someone's mind right now that these are all publicly available off a home computer and want to give them a few laughs.

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

That being said, don't forget about synirc.net #gip

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
A friend of mine is a former Navy officer, but resigned his commission after he separated. Do any of you know of a way he can get it back without having to rejoin the Navy? I assume it'd be something like sending a letter to them. I mostly just want to see him in dress whites so he can reenlist me next year.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hamlet442 posted:

A friend of mine is a former Navy officer, but resigned his commission after he separated. Do any of you know of a way he can get it back without having to rejoin the Navy? I assume it'd be something like sending a letter to them. I mostly just want to see him in dress whites so he can reenlist me next year.

Yeah totes http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Violations/suspension_restoring.htm

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Well, after wanting to join for a number of years I finally spoke to an officer recruiter last Wednesday. I'm working to try and get a packet ready for an NFO/Pilot slot. I still have to schedule a MEPS appointment and take the ASTB (I've been studying for that for a couple months). Anyone here have any experience with that pipeline?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Well, after wanting to join for a number of years I finally spoke to an officer recruiter last Wednesday. I'm working to try and get a packet ready for an NFO/Pilot slot. I still have to schedule a MEPS appointment and take the ASTB (I've been studying for that for a couple months). Anyone here have any experience with that pipeline?

I spent about a year going for NFO. Took the ASTB (just use one of the study guides and actively work through it and you should be fine), did pretty well, and my recruiter said the boards kept getting postponed. Once I was about 7 or 8 months in, he asked me how old I was and then told me I was too old to go the NFO route.

Thanks, sir. Appreciate the heads up.

So my first tip would be to make sure you aren't too old. :v:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Aranan posted:

I spent about a year going for NFO. Took the ASTB (just use one of the study guides and actively work through it and you should be fine), did pretty well, and my recruiter said the boards kept getting postponed. Once I was about 7 or 8 months in, he asked me how old I was and then told me I was too old to go the NFO route.

Thanks, sir. Appreciate the heads up.

So my first tip would be to make sure you aren't too old. :v:

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I'm 23 right now and from what I understand the aviation cutoff is 27 by time of commission, so barring any major green weenie head-slaps I should be good on the age front.

Good the hear about the studying, I've been using a GRE math prep book and the Barron's ASTB study guide for my prep. So far I've done okay on the practice, but I gotta tone up my math!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I'm 23 right now and from what I understand the aviation cutoff is 27 by time of commission, so barring any major green weenie head-slaps I should be good on the age front.

Good the hear about the studying, I've been using a GRE math prep book and the Barron's ASTB study guide for my prep. So far I've done okay on the practice, but I gotta tone up my math!

Yeah, I turned 28 during the process. You should be fine. It was just the first in a series of many military dickings I received. I'm used to it now. :)

Just keep studying and taking practice tests. I didn't actally get further in the process than taking the ASTB and submitting a packet, so I can't offer any further advice. Good luck.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Aranan posted:

Yeah, I turned 28 during the process. You should be fine. It was just the first in a series of many military dickings I received. I'm used to it now. :)

Just keep studying and taking practice tests. I didn't actally get further in the process than taking the ASTB and submitting a packet, so I can't offer any further advice. Good luck.

Thank you I'll keep studying hard!

You mentioned you got to submitting a packet. If I may ask, for your motivational statement, how long should it be? I keep seeing people on AirWarrior say about 400 words, but when I do that I still have a ton of room left for a statement on my APSR, so I wasn't sure if I should put more or not.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I don't have the slightest clue. I think I burned it all and blanked the memory and most of my brain out which explains why I enlisted in the army. :v:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I wrote about my story here a while back, and I thought I was boned in regards to options.

Today my phone rang, and a MSG that handled my last fuckup almost a half a year ago informed that he hasn't forgotten me, and that he felt bad always, and that has gotten me into airborne option, and that he has gotten me a 5000 dollar cash bonus, but I better get prepared since the bus leaves recruiting office on monday the 5th at noon.

So drat, someone actually gave a poo poo about my personal wants. I'll be damned, but here we go. Going to get my packing done.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wow.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I wonder if it is against the rules, but I'd like to give my long-term issued, un-returned Finnish helmet to this MSG for caring.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bend your knees when you land. If you forget everything else, fine, but bend your loving knees.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Quick question, do I get a parachute?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

Well I guess you could use some extra cushion for your knees.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah but it was packed by an e2 fresh out of ait. And the plane is flown by the air force. Godspeed.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
R.I.P. your back/knees/butthole.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

I wrote about my story here a while back, and I thought I was boned in regards to options.

Today my phone rang, and a MSG that handled my last fuckup almost a half a year ago informed that he hasn't forgotten me, and that he felt bad always, and that has gotten me into airborne option, and that he has gotten me a 5000 dollar cash bonus, but I better get prepared since the bus leaves recruiting office on monday the 5th at noon.

So drat, someone actually gave a poo poo about my personal wants. I'll be damned, but here we go. Going to get my packing done.

You are damned. To boredom. lovely haircuts. Peers straight from the trailer park. Getting screamed at. Picking up someone else's cigarette butts with your hands. Raking rocks. Trimming grass with scissors. Sitting in the barracks 24 hours straight to babysit the morons in your batallion. Getting up everyone morning in the dark and stumbling to a formation of assholes standing around acting like fucktards. You'll be stuck at Ft Bragg your entire miserable career and you won't know it's happening, but one day you'll look in the mirror and see yet another dipshit airborne try hard staring back at you and you'll cry into your raspberry beret. Then you'll plan on drinking every day of the last 1000 days you have committed to the Army and stop once you get a DUI and find yourself a private all over again.

Worst part is you might never go to war. You might leave the Army a slick sleeve bitch.

Luckily it's not the 5th yet so take the most important advice you'll ever get in your whole life and call that recruiter and tell him to gently caress off.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Perfect, can't wait.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
my bff from the army was a sniper in 82nd and will probably need replacement hips before he's 50 lol. He just turned 30.

edit: I should be clear I'm not talking poo poo, like its seriously on the table, its when, not if according to his medboard and doctors and stuff.

It was apparently fun and you fast track for promotion it seems though so enjoy being a retarded E7 in 8 years or something.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
'I want to be close to the action'

*enlists as a 68w, proceeds to be a part of the worst healthcare system on the planet and never leaves a doctors office*

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
My papers say I'll end up in an Airborne Unit, so I'd imagine it'll be as good as any chance to get into pew-pew if something happens.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Vahakyla posted:

My papers say I'll end up in an Airborne Unit, so I'd imagine it'll be as good as any chance to get into pew-pew if something happens.

my friend I am wishing you luck and I hope you have fun in the army, its a crazy experience.

edit: note to self post this screencap on 20170829

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Sure buddy. Every drat thing under the 82nd is Airborne. Hell, I think there's still an airborne corp. But I'm sure you know best, have fun accusing people of malingering and having to diagnose whatever is seeping out of Pvt. Johnsons johnson

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Also have fun tending to people who pass out during formations and during runs and having to haul water everywhere cause dehydration is going to be the biggest enemy of these United States you'll be fighting

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Good luck tomorrow, Vahakyla. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Thank you Sir.

Hotel night done, MEPS done, oath sworn, finnish stories briefly shared, goodbyes said.
I'm currently on the bus taking me to Columbia Airport for a flight to Oklahoma and Fort Sill.

I don't have a single doubt in my mind, which probably makes me an idiot.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Please try not to kill yourself when you realize that army has no concern with how well you can fight a war, only how you look and randomly yell words that basically have no meaning.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Try not to gently caress any dumb 18yrds or at least don't get caught.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

not caring here posted:

Please try not to kill yourself

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I wonder if the other basic training reception BNs are as lovely as 30th AG at Benning.

Definitely one of the worst weeks of my life

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mustang posted:

I wonder if the other basic training reception BNs are as lovely as 30th AG at Benning.

Definitely one of the worst weeks of my life

all i remember is getting stabbed with a billion needles and fools talking about getting 30th ag tattoos like being there was a badge of honor

edit: and learning how to sleep at parade rest

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Doing good. 13 days left. Doing a whole lot of "foreign service bonus pushups".

Basic is dumb, though. Haven't learned much of anything. Just suffering through. And they don't do even real suffering miserable FTXses here in america. We got tents, cots, and MREs and poo poo.

We ate lovely cold soup and slept in foxholes in Finland.

.ot my phone for like 20 minutes now, and that's it. I'll write more thoughts when I leave for AIT.

Later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Shine on, you idiot diamond