Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Pesticide20 posted:

The "Skype" call is just a video chat with a psychiatrist/psychologist and other than the fact that you're in completely different places it is essentially just like any session you'd have discussing the relevant issues. If you treat it like that it should go fine. Answer the questions honestly but don't expect treatment, whoever you talk to is just trying to confirm/deny whether you have a valid claim.

Hmm yup, got done with that today. He said I have moderate to severe PTSD, and the audiogram confirmed mild hearing loss. Yay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm yup, got done with that today. He said I have moderate to severe PTSD, and the audiogram confirmed mild hearing loss. Yay?

The yays have it. Sad brains

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Beast Pussy posted:

I found out recently that I wasn't using my Retiree benefits to the fullest extent possible. I never received my blue retiree card after leaving on TDRL in 2013, then was moved to PDRL after two years. When I went to get it today, I was told that I wasn't eligible because I wasn't 100% disabled (I'm 70 according to the Army, and 90 according to the VA). I've been just getting the VA checks, and using my GI bill.
I was wondering if anyone could confirm that I am eligible (I looked on google and it seems like I am), and if anyone could clue me into any other benefits I'm not using? Is there a list or something somewhere? My buddy uses his retirement card to get space A flights, which is how this realization occurred.

Yeah, that guy is wrong. He was thinking of the brown DD 2765. You need the Blue DD Form 2 (Retired) ID card.

http://www.cac.mil/uniformed-services-id-card/

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Delizin posted:

Yeah, that guy is wrong. He was thinking of the brown DD 2765. You need the Blue DD Form 2 (Retired) ID card.

http://www.cac.mil/uniformed-services-id-card/

Yeah, what it actually was is he didn't want to do his job. When I went back today he sent me to another DEERS office so he wouldn't have to work. But, at the end of the day, I got my ID, and he got to not give it to me, so it was a success all around.
Thanks for the help.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Beast Pussy posted:

Yeah, what it actually was is he didn't want to do his job. When I went back today he sent me to another DEERS office so he wouldn't have to work. But, at the end of the day, I got my ID, and he got to not give it to me, so it was a success all around.
Thanks for the help.

Wait, DEERS people not knowing their jobs? Preposterous!

Next you'll tell me that DEERS tells survivors that they can't have an ID card because survivors don't get benefits after the deceased service member's ETS date.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The yays have it. Sad brains

Sad brains indeed... hard to be sad right now though, they just rated me at 70% from the PTSD, holy poo poo.

- How do I make sure I never lose these benefits? There's a law that says they can knock it down to 10% if I'm in jail for more than 60 days, for any reason. I guess I'll try to avoid that!

- I'm apparently entitled to VA healthcare now. I pay for Blue Cross at work, but apparently this is free and I satisfies the Obamacare "we'll fine you if you don't have insurance" clause. Should I drop my insurance for the VA? There's always horror stories in the news that you get what you pay for with the VA hospitals...

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

- I'm apparently entitled to VA healthcare now. I pay for Blue Cross at work, but apparently this is free and I satisfies the Obamacare "we'll fine you if you don't have insurance" clause. Should I drop my insurance for the VA? There's always horror stories in the news that you get what you pay for with the VA hospitals...

Have you ever had a dude try to sell you phone accessories out of a backpack at a normal hospital?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MancXVI posted:

Have you ever had a dude try to sell you phone accessories out of a backpack at a normal hospital?

I think I can handle that assuming the dude isn't also my primary physician...

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

I think I can handle that assuming the dude isn't also my primary physician...

Have we gone more than a page without a "The VA Actually tried to kill me" story again?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Question, I am thinking of going to the Northeast for college. All the schools I would like to go to are yellow ribbon, but I assume I should email them about fall admissions since it is already this late in the year, correct?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Considering it's already summer semester, yeah fall comes next. Get busy, you're already behind most of the applicants. They've been submitting paperwork for a couple of months already. Cutoff dates should be on the schools' websites.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ryand-Smith posted:

Question, I am thinking of going to the Northeast for college. All the schools I would like to go to are yellow ribbon, but I assume I should email them about fall admissions since it is already this late in the year, correct?

Yeah you'll be running up on some dates. I'd just look them up on school websites instead of waiting for email responses. If you're just getting started then community colleges usually have later reg dates and often have feeder programs for schools around them. Just a thought if you missed a date and don't want to spend a semester DIH

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I had my first appointment with a Vocational Rehab counselor yesterday and learned that VR&E education benefits have an upper limit of 48 months. I was then told I only have 22 months of VR&E, however, because I've used 26 months of my GI Bill. Basically, GI Bill benefits eat into possible VR&E benefit time.

I was also told that as of December 2015, the opposite is not true and VR&E benefits don't eat into GI Bill time. So if you used VR&E before GI Bill, your total potential benefits time would be 96 months (with GI Bill Yellow Ribbon), but if you use GI Bill first, your total time is just 48 months.

Over the course of the morning I sensed there is a stigma regarding veterans using VR&E only for school. At first I assumed it meant I would be in for a rough morning of accusational comments from the VR&E counselor, but as it turns out they just prefer you don't come across as being an education benefits seeker. Because, as they explained, the primary goal is to rehabilitate veterans for employment, and that doesn't automatically equate to a degree.

I sought out VR&E because I recently considered working as an artist and found all the reputable job listings included a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree as a mandatory prerequisite. Rather than going to school for another two or three years I'd like to start working and learning on the job. Truly, I'd just be thankful to be working as an artist because it would be an indoor environment with a predictable amount of physical exertion every day. My hope for VR&E was getting my foot in the door at an employer.

My rating is well above the 20% minimum and it is for Insomnia and general neurosis. So the connection between why not continuing in one of my military trades is clear.

With my employment disability established, my counselor made it clear that if I'd prefer, I can return to school to complete that BFA in order to be hired as an artist. After proving my credibility as an honest job seeker, and not someone just there for the good stuff (education bennies), I sensed that it was much easier for the counselor to take me through the education benefits process than the straight-to-job-hunting route. I have a follow-up appointment date and some information to gather about jobs that list a BFA as a requirement and schools with the corresponding BFA program that will take me this Fall.

Overall there is a lot of information and counseling available to veterans at a VR&E office, and I suggest you go if you're looking to work somewhere else or change your profession to something that is easier on you. And if that involves returning to school, I expect you will find the VR&E counselor will want to grant you the opportunity. Your motivation just has to be in the right place.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Deathy McDeath posted:

Still waiting to hear back from Voc Rehab to see if I'm approved or not. The orientation was about two weeks ago so it should be soon.

Anyway, I start an internship in DC in the fall, and I wonder if it's possible to get voc rehab to pay the housing allowance. I mean, it is working towards employment and everything. Does that happen? I've looked online and have t gotten conclusive answers.

Quoting myself from a few months back: the answer is YES. The program is called Non-Paid Work Experience (NPWE) program, and needs to be set up with the company/agency prior to starting the internship/training.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I forgot to mention it's easy to make a case for an employment disability. Just keep it simple. If your past employment involves physical labor at all, it's a safe bet to say a four-year degree is your best shot at working in a better environment. Indoors, air conditioned, and with no physical labor in the job description. If you are also required to work irregular hours or overtime based on the employer's needs that's a pretty clear case too.

I also have a failed work history over the past six months. That's bad in itself but a great reason for seeking professional retraining.

I worked for a small government contractor in HVAC and pretty much burned out and was constantly sick before I quit. I started off just making myself useful where I could and found myself doing every drat thing within a couple months. I was reading legalese and changing policy, drafting contract proposals, and basically running the drat place, in addition to performing physical labor if it was necessary. You don't get raises or promotions just because you deserve them though, and the stress and irregular schedule meant I was hours late to work at least twice a week. But my work was still good, so my employer was more than happy to keep me on at the same basic starting rate.

With a rating like Insomnia it's pretty easy to say there is a direct connection between it and working conditions that are physically difficult. Therefore I would like to work as a ____________ if this program will help me.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Ok has anyone done a dity move post retirement?

http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/travelpay/armypcs/endofmilitaryservice.html

i'm reading this and it sounds like I just do it and submit the paperwork after I'm done?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Correct.

I got lucky and the travel people already had my poo poo all punched in back to my home of record, Seattle, so I didn't say a thing, filled in the boxes and 2 weeks later there's the money.

I imagine if you start claiming all kinds of crazy poo poo there may be some scrutiny.

There may also be time limits or something and my memory is lovely but I do remember it being super easy.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Not trying to be shady at all with this, and my year to do this runs out in Oct so I'm good to go on that front. Thanks.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

So because I was a dumb kid, I had nongrades (I left college, its all paid off) 6 years ago, got into the military ,and now I'm almost ready to go back to college. I have filled out the application for one transcript, but the other is a lovely community college and it will take lord knows how long to get the transcripts from then. Between that and waiting for the Navy to give me my exact "out" date. (I still don't have it, but I have a sign that it will be 'soon'), I am seriously at risk of missing deadlines. Should I just go to a community college that has guaranteed IN (the VCC system will have a guaranteed seat to say ODU,) or do you all know of any other solutions. My only reason for not applying sooner was my dates were in "the cloud" but I just got word today that command is saying "Yes we support your discharge" and honorable is almost in hand.

Again, thanks for all, and you guys have been amazing people to me!

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Are you looking to start school in the Fall?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

MancXVI posted:

Are you looking to start school in the Fall?

I'd like to, if not its "welp sit on my rear end and do nothing but work part time for 3 months"

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Ryand-Smith posted:

I'd like to, if not its "welp sit on my rear end and do nothing but work part time for 3 months"

Have you called the lovely community college and explained the situation?

Also, there's no shame in having some downtime between getting out and starting school. I had almost four months between getting out and starting school, kind of gave me a chance to clear my brain. Traveled around a bit, visited friends and family I hadn't been able to see, that sort of deal.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's been more than a month since I've heard anything from the counselor I was assigned for Voc Rehab. The last thing I heard was when I did the aptitude testing, which I was told I did quite well on. Should I get in touch with the guy or should I assume it's just the VA slowly doing paperwork and wait it out for another week or two?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MancXVI posted:

Also, there's no shame in having some downtime between getting out and starting school. I had almost four months between getting out and starting school, kind of gave me a chance to clear my brain. Traveled around a bit, visited friends and family I hadn't been able to see, that sort of deal.

yeah seriously. i had to take a lil time off one semester so i got a second job at radio shack to pay off some stuff

you just got out, it's perfectly 100% ok to take a semester off while you ground yourself and plan for the future

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
you qualify for unemployment after separating and should apply for it unless you can earn more doing something else, but chances of that are slim unless you have a job lined up and you can earn at least $15/ hour.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

*maybe

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Oh, right. I'm assuming you have an honorable discharge and completed a full term of active duty service. Other than that, it's a federal program and you start by applying in your state.

Program is called The Unemployment Compensation for Ex-service members (UCX) and there is a lot of information available with a google search.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elsa posted:

Oh, right. I'm assuming you have an honorable discharge and completed a full term of active duty service. Other than that, it's a federal program and you start by applying in your state.

Program is called The Unemployment Compensation for Ex-service members (UCX) and there is a lot of information available with a google search.

Yeah, unemployment eligibility is set by the state. So if you actually used your TSP, or had a Roth IRA, you may not qualify. Depends on how your local laws are written. It's not just a matter of "I'm no longer employed." In Utah, and probably most red states, you're pretty much hosed unless you're completely indigent.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Utah seems to have the same basic requirement as other states.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elsa posted:

Utah seems to have the same basic requirement as other states.

All I'm saying is, YMMV because every state is different. I can personally vouch that just leaving the service and being unemployed is not sufficient in at least one state.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

All I'm saying is, YMMV because every state is different. I can personally vouch that just leaving the service and being unemployed is not sufficient in at least one state.

Would you share exactly why you were ineligible, and say which state you were disqualified in? It's a federally mandated program and from what I can tell it is a very basic set of requirements:

quote:

UCX is available to ex-service members of all ranks who meet the following eligibility criteria:

You were on active duty with a branch of the U.S. military. You may be entitled to benefits based on that service.
You must have been separated under honorable conditions.
There is no payroll deduction from your wages for unemployment insurance protection. Benefits are paid for by the various branches of the military.

quote:

physically able to work, available to work, actively looking for work, etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elsa posted:

Would you share exactly why you were ineligible, and say which state you were disqualified in? It's a federally mandated program and from what I can tell it is a very basic set of requirements:

Utah. Because I had sufficient savings to be disqualified from any Dept of Workforce Services services besides job hunting assistance. You list the federal requirements, but the states administer the program and can create their own rules.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

Utah. Because I had sufficient savings to be disqualified from any Dept of Workforce Services services besides job hunting assistance. You list the federal requirements, but the states administer the program and can create their own rules.

Don't you think you might be the exception? And how did they screen you, with tax returns?

With that red state talk you had me wondering if you were pushing a political narrative. I think people should file rather than not, especially if they need time to find a good equivalent job. I was a mechanic during my first separation and there were great jobs out there, but I had trouble finding a place that would take me without having a $20,000 set of tools.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elsa posted:

Don't you think you might be the exception? And how did they screen you, with tax returns?

It doesn't matter if I'm the exception (which I doubt, since I got a really late start on dumping money into those accounts the average GIP poster probably has more saved), I told people to check their local laws because reality is not as simple as three bullets on a .gov website. Explain to me why this is a loving problem.

quote:

With that red state talk you had me wondering if you were pushing a political narrative.

Yeah, that's what I'm known for around here.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

It doesn't matter if I'm the exception (which I doubt, since I got a really late start on dumping money into those accounts the average GIP poster probably has more saved), I told people to check their local laws because reality is not as simple as three bullets on a .gov website. Explain to me why this is a loving problem.

Yeah, that's what I'm known for around here.

I just think you are being rather defeatist. It's a standard thing to file for unemployment upon separation and most people don't have TSP or Roth IRAs that would exclude them from receiving benefits.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I think this conversation could have been easier if you started what you know: retirement-related TSP and Roth IRAs may disqualify you from receiving benefits. And then included a message to say don't worry, unless you are old as balls and made it to 20+ years you should start the filing process possibly online in your state of residence when you have your DD214 and Social Security card in hand.

Furthermore, disability payments at less than the 100% certified unemployable rate, and the GI Bill benefits including housing allowance don't prevent unemployment benefit eligibility. So you can, in fact, attend school under the assistance of the VA, have a disability rating and payment, and collect unemployment.

Due to a recent change in Voc Rehab I suggest using it instead of GI Bill, because Voc rehab does not eat into remaining GI Bill time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What the gently caress? I didn't retire, I'm not old as balls. I said exactly what I intended to. Local laws may vary.

Here, maybe this will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVMsAgHy_IY

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
then explain yourself instead of posting

quote:

*maybe
and then running off to make people tease the details out of you, otherwise they have to guess and fill in the blanks in an informational thread.

does that train video include derails by chance

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Elsa posted:

I think this conversation could have been easier if you started what you know: retirement-related TSP and Roth IRAs may disqualify you from receiving benefits. And then included a message to say don't worry, unless you are old as balls and made it to 20+ years you should start the filing process possibly online in your state of residence when you have your DD214 and Social Security card in hand.

Furthermore, disability payments at less than the 100% certified unemployable rate, and the GI Bill benefits including housing allowance don't prevent unemployment benefit eligibility. So you can, in fact, attend school under the assistance of the VA, have a disability rating and payment, and collect unemployment.

Due to a recent change in Voc Rehab I suggest using it instead of GI Bill, because Voc rehab does not eat into remaining GI Bill time.

Woah woah woah. Can you elaborate and show some proof of this because if so I'm doing undergrad on VR&E and my masters on Post 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

[/b]

Woah woah woah. Can you elaborate and show some proof of this because if so I'm doing undergrad on VR&E and my masters on Post 9/11.

Yeah, I know right?

I'm just passing along what I was told during the VR&E briefing a few weeks ago: conventional GI Bill benefits reduce available VR&E time, but if you do the opposite and go to VR&E first, it does not impact your GI Bill benefits.

I have a follow-up appointment this week, and I can ask again while I'm there.