Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Duel Masters is an excellent example of a localization creating something special out of nothing

the samurai pizza cats of the 2000's...(i loved duel masters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shoeless posted:

Sounds like Duel Masters. Original is generic, the dub has people having fun with it.

If we're discussing anime dubs that go wild, you cannot go wrong with Ghost Stories. When given the localization rights they were told "Do whatever" and my god they did.

mandatory lesbian posted:

the samurai pizza cats of the 2000's...(i loved duel masters)

Can someone confirm if Duel Masters was the one where a villain was waiting for the cable man to come over? And when he was going to leave before the guy arrived his subordinates told him the cable guy will just leave a note and be on his way if the villain wasn't there to answer the door, to which the villain replies "The cable man is... evil..."?

I couldn't of imagined this series of events, I swore I saw it once at 5 in the morning and its somehow managed to etch into my mind and I cannot find any confirmation of it online.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

If we're discussing anime dubs that go wild, you cannot go wrong with Ghost Stories. When given the localization rights they were told "Do whatever" and my god they did.

Can someone confirm if Duel Masters was the one where a villain was waiting for the cable man to come over? And when he was going to leave before the guy arrived his subordinates told him the cable guy will just leave a note and be on his way if the villain wasn't there to answer the door, to which the villain replies "The cable man is... evil..."?

I couldn't of imagined this series of events, I swore I saw it once at 5 in the morning and its somehow managed to etch into my mind and I cannot find any confirmation of it online.

Yeah, I've seen some clips of Ghost Stories. Oh boy. Ooooh boy. And yes, that scene you're talking about is from Duel Masters. They had fun with that dub. Pity they changed the voice actors every season.

That being said we should probably go back to talking about LPs. We've gotten a tad off-topic.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
We're only off-topic if someone doesn't let's play Duel Masters.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Well, there were four Duel Masters videogames released in English. :v: Three for handhelds and one for the PS2. I played the latter, and it was decent enough.

LPing card games is a tricky business at the best of times, of course. So, uh... Good luck with that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yapping Eevee posted:

Well, there were four Duel Masters videogames released in English. :v: Three for handhelds and one for the PS2. I played the latter, and it was decent enough.

LPing card games is a tricky business at the best of times, of course. So, uh... Good luck with that.

Card Games and action games are basically the same thing right

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Card Games and action games are basically the same thing right

You know what you must do.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I enjoyed the first three series of Beyblade before it became super generic. A buddy of mine plans to show those first three series as part of weekly stream so I'll be able to rewatch them.

Of those series, I liked V-Force the most because it was centered around the BitBeasts which were arguably the best part of the franchise for me personally.

I also liked that Ray and his home team break the anime cat people stereotype, it's nice when that happens since it honestly doesn't happen enough.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Shoeless posted:

You know what you must do.

Working on it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So wait, Duel Masters isn't a YGO thing? Or was that Duel Monsters?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So wait, Duel Masters isn't a YGO thing? Or was that Duel Monsters?

Duel Monsters was in-universe name for the Yu-Gi-Oh card game, Duel Masters was another card game franchise based on Magic the Gathering.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 30, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Huh, okay. And by the way, if you want an action card game, From Software made a couple of them.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not entirely sure why Kai appeared to cheer you on at the end. You'd think there'd be at least some setup, but nope.

I think the character that supports you is supposed to be random like your opponents so you could've gotten like Mariam, Max, Goki, etc cheering you on.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Duel Masters is a show that slipped me by and I regret that incredibly after seeing this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv44gh2OnxM

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Duel Masters is a show that slipped me by and I regret that incredibly after seeing this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv44gh2OnxM

This one's even better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlmtNo3cHMw

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Time for a sewer level in Slain. Don't run away! It's actually pretty good.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Genocyber posted:

Time for a sewer level in Slain. Don't run away! It's actually pretty good.

It doesn't matter what you tell people, the sewer level will always be the least loved

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Sewer Level in Shadows of the Empire is the best part of that already flawless game!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

The Sewer Level in Shadows of the Empire is the best part of that already flawless game!

I politely disagree.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

So...I kind of forgot about this thread and kept doing videos, but I feel like I should at least get the rest of videos in here before finishing the LP in case there were some people following exclusively from the thread, however in order to avoid just dumping a large number of links in a single post I'll space them out over the next week or so. Sorry for forgetting!

I Refuse To Re-record This Garbage (Part 4)

Boring Brown Khaki-Wearing Soldiers (Part 5)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Blind Sally posted:

I think you mean the train level

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
I was away this Halloween, but The Wizards (more so just Lee) have some one shot terrible video games!

The Wizards play Fester's Quest

The Wizards play Frankenstein: The Monster Returns

The Wizards play Ghoul School

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Shoeless posted:

Yeah, and tops sound dumb until all sorts of glowing monsters appear from them and fight and stuff! #TopsAreCoolCardsJustDrool

...you sure we're not still talking about Yu-Gi-Oh? :raise:

The Alan Wake update is pretty normal (well, you know, besides the surreal meta dreamscape setting), but for Dragon's Dogma, we had a problem. On the 4th stream of the game, I forgot to turn in Lost & Found (the quest we did last time, going to the woods to rescue Quina)-- I did all that stuff, but you have to go talk to her dad for it to count, and I got the quest failed after doing the next one; and since the game auto-checkpoints after story quests I couldn't go back. So I had to replay the game and do some of the same content over again. For the LP, I just cut out that stream entirely and left in my references and explanations to it in the next couple episodes. Let me know if you want to see a bonus video with some of the highlights that were cut (or the whole thing, for the handful of crazy people really into this series :sweatdrop: ), otherwise I'll just move on.

In the actual stream I talked over most of the NPCs since we had the normal dialogue last time, so I dropped the volume on my track really low this time around so you can hear them better but still hear me. Best I could think of to do.

Alan Wake - DLC 1: The Signal Part 2/3
This section goes full-bore with the "illuminate words to cause things to happen" gimmick, including a sort of verbal minefield (and for once, we can say that without talking about politics or something). It's a continuation of the focus on gameplay and hopefully that makes it interesting to watch (and for what it's worth, Ben handles it decently up until the boss next time, heh).

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Part 10 - Undead & Just Dead
As explained, I had to redo the game up to this point, so while I tried to explain what happened last time and keep things from being too jarring, I do apologize about that (well, Capcom should be the ones apologizing for their terrible quest structure :argh: ). We get some quests in Gran Soren, then it's into the Everfall to clean out the Pawn Legion's basement, and the goons dwelling within....

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Wayne posted:

...you sure we're not still talking about Yu-Gi-Oh? :raise:

Yeah. From what I remember, Beyblade waits a bit to reveal that part of the formula, while Yu Gi Oh gives you it within the first episode. So you have to keep with the show for a little before the whole deal with spirits inside the tops that make them battle better comes up.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

While I was having a blast with Duel Masters, the disc is so hosed that recording it in this state is not advisable. It'll be a bit while I get a new copy and practice.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Season 12 of Seinfeld (Part 6)

(cough in sandstorm) (Part 7)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The penultimate level!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play SpongeBob: Truth or Square

Truth or Square is a 3D platformer developed by the genre (and license) veterans at Heavy Iron Studios. With both Battle for Bikini Bottom and The Movie Game under their belt, the third SpongeBob title is sure to be splendid, right? Well, it's not bad. Playing almost exactly like a dictionary sample of "linear 3D platformer", Truth or Square is exceedingly average, and averagely fun.

This Let's Play hopes to answer such questions as, "Just how unoffensive can you possibly make a game?", "Is there anything surprising here or is this like, the whole thing?", and "Has anyone ever really gotten these hidden collectibles?"

On the less neutral side of things, the game actually does an excellent job of celebrating the history of SpongeBob, which is what the TV special of the same name was supposed to be for. The game does it better by a mile, so if you actually like early SpongeBob then that probably makes this a lot more worthwhile.

(No, we're not getting the hidden collectibles either. It's just concept art, man.)

Videos

We saved Bikini Bottom!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 23, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so i had the spongebob movie game when i was young and the most surprising thing about it was that it was actually kinda fun to play, like its not the best platformer ever but it was competent

it's really weird for licensed games to not be bad, has the studio made any other games or are they all spongebobs?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

so i had the spongebob movie game when i was young and the most surprising thing about it was that it was actually kinda fun to play, like its not the best platformer ever but it was competent

it's really weird for licensed games to not be bad, has the studio made any other games or are they all spongebobs?

They've made licensed games for UP, Wall-E, The Incredibles, and Family Guy. General consensus is that they're all decent except for the last one, but people only seem to have a particular fondness for the Spongebob tie-ins.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Spongebob movie game is legitimately the best 3d platformer I think I have ever played. This one looks... Okay, I guess? Like you said, not offensively bad but also not super good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

They've made licensed games for UP, Wall-E, The Incredibles, and Family Guy. General consensus is that they're all decent except for the last one, but people only seem to have a particular fondness for the Spongebob tie-ins.

well spongebob's got that nostalgia appeal, so it's understandable it's fondly loved

CJacobs posted:

The Spongebob movie game is legitimately the best 3d platformer I think I have ever played. This one looks... Okay, I guess? Like you said, not offensively bad but also not super good.

i don't think i can quite give it that much credit in a post Mario Galaxy world, and even when it came out i liked Mario Sunshine more, but yeah its def one of the better platformers

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I don't know about the Spongebob movie game but Battle for Bikini Bottom is loving great. Probably my favorite collect-a-thon platformer though a large part of that is Spongebob nostalgia.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

well spongebob's got that nostalgia appeal, so it's understandable it's fondly loved

i don't think i can quite give it that much credit in a post Mario Galaxy world, and even when it came out i liked Mario Sunshine more, but yeah its def one of the better platformers

Hmm, yeah okay I'll give you Sunshine. Sunshine is definitely up there.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

While I'm sure nostalgia plays a factor, Battle for Bikini Bottom and The Movie Game actually are that good. Battle for Bikini Bottom tried to bring new mechanics and design to a flooded genre, and more importantly created a memorable experience. Scaler, Kao The Kangaroo, and several other 3d platformers of that generation fell on their face because of their lack of memorable obstacles and design. The Movie Game on the other hand was fantastic mostly because Heavy Iron looked at Battle for Bikini Bottom and said, "We have to make it crazier, and I don't care how, but no matter what we have to avoid repeating ourselves." This resulted in a ton of vastly different poo poo being hurled at a wall, and miraculously every bit of it stuck. It also made for the hardest 3D SpongeBob title.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
the die has been cast. the rats approach.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

the die has been cast. the rats approach.

:yum:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's not like good licensed games don't exist, lots of people have singular examples. Mine would be The Warriors, which came out about 25 years after the movie did.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

It's not like good licensed games don't exist, lots of people have singular examples. Mine would be The Warriors, which came out about 25 years after the movie did.

I have watched your Warriors videos more times than is healthy, and I still don't understand how you lived through the arcade mode's music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

Honestly, I'd say a significant portion of licensed games are at least decent, with some being really great. A large part of it is when it comes out in relation to the main property of the license. Like a movie tie-in game that comes out when the movie's still in theaters, those tend to suck cause the rights owners will choose whoever can get it out the quickest and the cheapest. But stuff that comes out after or for more long-running stuff can be handed off to competent developers.