Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
We don't sell them. Idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Chard posted:

What's the deal with the shovel anyway?

It's enchanted and will not let Windows 98 get away from it. Skittering around on hundreds of legs and savaging anyone it sees as a threat

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Also OP if there is sign installation work to be had why don't you just go do that instead. dummy.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

It's enchanted and will not let Windows 98 get away from it. Skittering around on hundreds of legs and savaging anyone it sees as a threat

sick af

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The best part is that OP actually thinks this is a temporary job. As soon as OP graduates, they're gonna up his hours to 80 a week and OP will say he doesn't have time to find a job in his field, and then soon it'll be t hat he can't quit to find a job cause how will he pay off his student loans, and 20 years from now he'll owe 120K and be makiang 45K a year as a manager there working 120 hour weeks.

Coprophagor
Jan 16, 2007
poopspoopsmepotty

DrManiac posted:

Also I thought lunches/breaks were federally mandated and they have to give them to you no matter what

"Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks. "

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

6pm and no loving chicken parm yet. This rear end in a top hat better not have been loving around because I'm starving.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Windows 98 posted:

6pm and no loving chicken parm yet. This rear end in a top hat better not have been loving around because I'm starving.
eat your leg off

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I have a whole box of Ensure why would I do that

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Windows 98 posted:

I have a whole box of Ensure why would I do that
because then you can get disability checks from the government

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

lol this thread makes me happy for my cushy easy life

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
rip off the labels of all the ensure cans and then put tape on them and write APE cUM on it. Then make your girlfriend find a better job for you.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Coprophagor posted:

"Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks. "

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

I was just gonna post this myself. Employers can basically do anything they want and get away with it. Even if they get caught just eat the minor fine. The place I work at has had multiple workplace injuries over the years and even has had OSHA site them for ignoring safety laws(willful violation with a $50k fine) and they haven't changed how they do things. I have heard them say they consider it a cost of doing business. US labor laws suck donkey dick.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Windows I hope your kicking-rad GPA and presumably good networking at college will get you out of retail forever.

Whats your exit plan at graduation?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

A bullet and gun

Jackoff Pastorius
May 16, 2010
I'm in western ma too, would it make your day more or less poo poo if the kind of guy who hasn't posted in like a year but still reads gbs daily showed up? I'm probably even more pathetic than you.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dalkalopagus posted:

I'm in western ma too, would it make your day more or less poo poo if the kind of guy who hasn't posted in like a year but still reads gbs daily showed up? I'm probably even more pathetic than you.

Make sure you spend hours buying scratchies and complaining about your neighbours or you won't fit in there. Also be an alcoholic if possible.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heres my tip: never get to work on time.

You are just setting an expectation once you start getting to work on time.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Ok. Just a quick job update. When I got in today they informed me that new company policy is no employee can be scheduled or work more than 20 hours unless they are "full time" (no employees are, they schedule you 39 so they don't have to give you benefits). So I went from working crazy hours to now not having enough to afford to live. They did however ask me to come in for a 8 hour shift unpaid to help out. (No).

I was also treated to my lovely coworker Amanda literally crossing out her scheduled hours and writing in what she felt like working, so I'm here an extra two hours tonight, plus the additional time that she is late. I made a complaint to my manager and she couldn't even be assed to call her and tell her to come in as scheduled and to not edit her own hours as she pleases.

Today a woman literally spat at me and called me a loving retard because she was 20 cents short for her cigarettes.

So yeah. That lady was the last straw. Id rather be unemployed. I'm going to sleep on it but I'm fairly certain tomorrow I'm going to put my two weeks in.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Windows 98 posted:

Ok. Just a quick job update. When I got in today they informed me that new company policy is no employee can be scheduled or work more than 20 hours unless they are "full time" (no employees are, they schedule you 39 so they don't have to give you benefits). So I went from working crazy hours to now not having enough to afford to live. They did however ask me to come in for a 8 hour shift unpaid to help out. (No).

I was also treated to my lovely coworker Amanda literally crossing out her scheduled hours and writing in what she felt like working, so I'm here an extra two hours tonight, plus the additional time that she is late. I made a complaint to my manager and she couldn't even be assed to call her and tell her to come in as scheduled and to not edit her own hours as she pleases.

Today a woman literally spat at me and called me a loving retard because she was 20 cents short for her cigarettes.

So yeah. That lady was the last straw. Id rather be unemployed. I'm going to sleep on it but I'm fairly certain tomorrow I'm going to put my two weeks in.

just walk

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Windows 98 posted:

god bless you win98

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

symbolic posted:

god bless you win98

God has forsaken me

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Windows 98 posted:

God has forsaken me
god forced you out of that lovely job

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Windows 98 posted:

You let an alcoholic who's not even your supervisor in any way shape or form force you to work two extra hours and you took it like a btich. You're not putting in any two weeks notice, you're just gonna buy some more lube.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I didn't even get to the Customers section of the op before I decided that your stupid employers don't give a gently caress about being a good store as long as they keep getting a steady flow, that's why they have you and the broken woman working there, two idiots willing to sign away their rights and work in bad conditions lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol I caught up with the thread and it's pretty awesome, I like how Window's employer decided they could just cut him to 20 hours a week and get him to keep coming in for 40 39 60 now!

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I dont get it. he was working 60 plus hours but was still part time?

Now he is 20 hours but was asked to work for free?

my world is spinning now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, it sounds like they cut his (official) hours from 39 to 20 then immediately asked him to come in and work 8 hours for free hahaha America is awesome

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
OP claims he turned down the offer but I really doubt that he did.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He is CONSIDERING putting in his 2 weeks instead of immediately just not showing up for work and spending the day looking for a job literally anywhere else that doesn't treat him like a literal slave.

Like not even joking, Wage Slave is ABOVE you, Windows98, your boss won't even let you rise to that level ahaha

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Ok something weird is definitely going on....

A third customer came in with a pizza for me telling me to eat it because I am too skinny. I'm starting to get paranoid.

E: a third customer came in with food for me*

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 16, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

STOP GOING TO loving "WORK" WINDOWS

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Will you fight? Or will you perish like a dog?

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Everyone posting saying that it's federally required to provide breaks, what are your sources?

In the US, everything I've ever read says that breaks are entirely voluntary for employers, unless the individual state requires it.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
when did GBS get soo mean. Yeah windows 98 is in a bad spot but some of the replies in this thread are down right abusive.

I remember years ago when we would get slice of life threads. Like when a goon moved next to GHOST PIMP a drug dealing pimp his stories were funny and goons gave him good advice.

When he came back to give updates he got torn apart for daring to talk to a pimp cause pimping exploits women or something.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Haha he's being taken advantage of even more-so than is customary in his country, in his part of the country, and in his line of work

Good advice isn't mean, even if it's in CAPS LOCKs

I'd rather Windows had a better lovely job so that he can one day afford a tattoo removal and a therapist for whatever happened with that shovel or whatever, even if it means you don't get your slice of life stories

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Professor Shark posted:

Haha he's being taken advantage of even more-so than is customary in his country, in his part of the country, and in his line of work

Good advice isn't mean, even if it's in CAPS LOCKs

I'd rather Windows had a better lovely job so that he can one day afford a tattoo removal and a therapist for whatever happened with that shovel or whatever, even if it means you don't get your slice of life stories

your avatar is detrimental to the completely correct thing you are saying. if it was still miles o'brien dodging laser shots it'd be read like fatherly advice from the trusty old transporter chief, buit instead it's just a mean old shark in a suit pushing people around again

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Ghost Pimp was the best loving thread imo

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ooooh ghost pimp somebody know if it's in the goldmine or what? Loved that poo poo.

Also I like your thread win98, I like slice of life stories like this. I don't really get your situation tho, are you in high school or college or what?

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin
why dont you answer my question about the skull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gilganixon posted:

your avatar is detrimental to the completely correct thing you are saying. if it was still miles o'brien dodging laser shots it'd be read like fatherly advice from the trusty old transporter chief, buit instead it's just a mean old shark in a suit pushing people around again

On the other hand Miles O'Brien is the Star Trek equivalent to Windows, only with a worse home life, so I think a drunk shark is more reputable

Look at me giving serious advice in GBS though haha, burn that place to the ground, Windows (only half serious now)! :D

• Locked thread