Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is this basically Mortal Online 2?

Robo Reagan posted:

one of these is an actual game
Star Citizen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

My theory is that games like this--if they happen to ever come out of beta--fail because they are too big for their population. In my opinion, if the world wasn't supposed to be " largest game ever (TM)" with "Best features ever made (TM)". but, instead, just a solid game; maybe a small world, and a core set of features and then the game would expand if people even enjoyed it.

What happens when it comes out and only a hundred people decide to stick around past the initial rush, and then there are 10 servers and huge zones? Probably everyone quits. idk tbh this sounds like a good game that will never be made, or fall on its face.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Better look at the combat. Looks really Souls-esque
https://twitter.com/SoulboundStudio/status/723888441184911361

lemonslol posted:

My theory is that games like this--if they happen to ever come out of beta--fail because they are too big for their population. In my opinion, if the world wasn't supposed to be " largest game ever (TM)" with "Best features ever made (TM)". but, instead, just a solid game; maybe a small world, and a core set of features and then the game would expand if people even enjoyed it.

This is why Shards is looking really good.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Better look at the combat. Looks really Souls-esque

:colbert:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

It does. Go look at the third person Kings Field (what became DeS) combat prototypes.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

It does. Go look at the third person Kings Field (what became DeS) combat prototypes.

ah man, that generic-type combat does not compare to dark souls 3 right now. Souls can get away with it's nice feel for combat because it doesn't rely on trying to be an mmo(:words: server architecture :words:). I can guarantee that this team cannot pull off a souls-esque feel in their mmo, because no-one can. I hope I'm wrong eventually because it would be kickass. Dark Souls feels responsive with everything you do, there'll be some moments where it doesn't go well but generally it works because your actions are instant. It just won't feel the same in a client-server environment.

Khako fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 27, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Are you a NEET that plays MMOs all day? Well, looks like you'll only have to pay for the game once
https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/4683-DJ-17-Bolstering--EarntoPlay

Khako posted:

ah man, that generic-type combat does not compare to dark souls 3 right now. Souls can get away with it's nice feel for combat because it doesn't rely on trying to be an mmo(:words: server architecture :words:). I can guarantee that this team cannot pull off a souls-esque feel in their mmo, because no-one can. I hope I'm wrong eventually because it would be kickass. Dark Souls feels responsive with everything you do, there'll be some moments where it doesn't go well but generally it works because your actions are instant. It just won't feel the same in a client-server environment.
This is what I'm worried about, they can make all this awesome poo poo that runs over a local network at a convention but unless you have perfect systems for latency compensation, it will get "optimized" when they actually have to get this all playable for people on two opposite ends of a continent.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 29, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Kickstarter is today... But I figure you guys might be interested in this. Subject to change but these are the Kickstarter tiers

quote:

$5 Tier 0 Contributor / Donation Tier. Includes a Forums Award indicating your support
+ ‘Social 1’
$35 Tier 1 Basic Edition of the Game (Early Bird.)
$40 Tier 1 Basic Edition of the Game
$55 Tier 2 Founder's Pack + ‘Social 2’ + T1
$75 Tier 3 Open Beta + Founder + T2
$80 Group 1 Carriage Made for Two.
Two copies of the Basic Game, plus resources and blueprint for a Carriage made for Two† (Horses or other mount not included)
$120 Tier 4 Closed Beta + T3 + Bonus IP

$150 Tier 5 Access to Exposition +Custom Surname + Social 3 + T4
$175 P1 $25 credit to merchandise store + in-game antique (map or item used in quest)† + T5 (Map/Antique is an in-game item that either leads to something cool, or is an item that will be part of a story-line at some point. (No one map or antique are the same))
$200 Tier 6 Bonus Spark of Life (2 total) + P1
$225 Group 2 Guild Hall†. $200 Tier, + Custom Guild Heraldry + Reserved Guild Name* + access to Guild Invite System
$225 Group 3 Village Square†, Custom Village Crest, name your village*, access to village invite
$250 P2 $25 credit to merchandise store ($50 Total), Open Alpha, 'Social 4', + Tier 6 + Bonus IP

$300 Tier 7 Ursaphant Mount†, + P2
$350 Tier 8 War Trison Mount†, House Battle Standard, + P2
$500 Tier 9 Closed Alpha, Count Title, County of Choice, Design your Crest, 'Social 5', + Tier 8
$750 P3 $50 credit to merchandise store ($100 total), design a tattoo or hairstyle (keep pattern), + Tier 9

$1k Tier 10 Exclusive monthly Video Q&A, [Upgrade] design a food, drink, or potion (Keep Pattern), + Tier P3
$1.5k Tier 11 [Upgrade] Design an accessory (Keep pattern), +3 Sparks of Life (5 Total),+ Tier 10
$2k Tier 12 Invite to Launch Party, Custom Portrait of yourself in-game, [Upgrade] Design Weapon or Shield (Keep Pattern) + Tier 11
$2.5k Tier 13 Tier 13 - Studio Tour, [Upgrade] Design a Relic (Keep relic)†, +5 Sparks of Life, + Tier 12 (10 Total)
$3.5k Tier 14 Dinner w/ Founder, [Upgrade] Design a Full Suit of Armor (Keep Pattern & item†),
$5k Tier 15 [Upgrade] Design in-game creature. Signed concept art of the creature. +10 Sparks of Life (20 Total), + Tier 14
$10k Tier 16 [Upgrade] Design a story-driven world event, world boss, or castle (keep pattern†). Signed copy of the concept. Become a King and select & name Kingdom. Design custom crest. Design your crown. Invited to Gaming Weekend with the Team, 'Social 7' + Tier 15

(non-stacking*) The 80 and 225 tier’s are non-stacking, in that they are not awarded as part of the higher tiers. They are separate price-points for ‘groups’ only.

* - Pending Developer Approval
† - All physical items can be lost in game

All tiers come with a $25 addon that allows players to give a code to their guild leader to apply for the guild invite, increasing influence and power of the starting guild.

Since I cancelled my pre-order of Overwatch, I'll dump some money into this. Doubting they can do $900,000 unless they have an amazing presentation... but then again, Star Citizen happened and Pantheon almost happened so who knows. No harm in pledging my intended amount.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 3, 2016

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Kickstarter is today... But I figure you guys might be interested in this. Subject to change but these are the Kickstarter tiers

Since I cancelled my pre-order of Overwatch, I'll dump some money into this. Doubting they can do $900,000 unless they have an amazing presentation... but then again, Star Citizen happened and Pantheon almost happened so who knows. No harm in pledging my intended amount.

So for 10k i can design my own crown and name my kingdom.

Seems legit.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

iminers posted:

So for 10k i can design my own crown and name my kingdom.

Seems legit.

You know how much that costs in rl? This is a bargain.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I did the $175 tier. If they manage to get the $900,000, they deserve it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging/description

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I'm glad they have only 2 programmers for an MMO! :)

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I'm glad they have only 2 programmers for an MMO! :)

Release Date 2019. rip.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

If you don't look at those Kickstarter tiers and back away slowly then yeah toss lots of money at it because you have not learned yet.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thank god, none of those lovely standard MMO quests. Instead I can take out a contract with another player... to walk somewhere... and pick up 10 potions... and bring them back? But now I have the threat of legal action against me if I breach my contract! Yay!

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Martman posted:

Thank god, none of those lovely standard MMO quests. Instead I can take out a contract with another player... to walk somewhere... and pick up 10 potions... and bring them back? But now I have the threat of legal action against me if I breach my contract! Yay!

At least that has the potential for some interesting player interaction. Not to mention how the potions are acquired (bartering with actual players, crafting them yourself, stealing from a shop at night after hours). Now imagine a scenario where you're picking up potions for some group of players preparing for some sort of Guild v Guild battle, rival guild has made a deal with the town herbalist/alchemist/whatever, they go into battle, arrows come flying, they're all hurt, take a swig of the potion, and they start dropping like flies. Point is, it's infinitely more involved than the modern MMO.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I don't know how anyone can look at that desired feature list, know that 2 people are making it, and think that it will work.

Well, I was going to buy $200 worth of Star Citizen ships but I'll put that towards this instead. Looks loving great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1JcO645BA

I gotta be fair to these guys, they're at the very least capable of developing assets. Programming is easy. I'm just not quite sure how well this will all mesh together.
Nominate Alexander DeLarge for thread mascot

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 4, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Ashrik posted:

Nominate Alexander DeLarge for thread mascot

I should have elaborated. Programming is easier than producing something visual that someone else has in their head. I've worked with artists before and I compare it to watching someone play a video game and getting frustrated because you know what you want to do, but you can't do it.

Especially working with UE4, having some difficulty implementing a feature? You have access to paid support by the people who actually made the engine, tons of documentation and source access. I'd rather be a project's programmer because other role have no such recourse. Being a 3D modeler/concept artist sucks because you're at the mercy of someone else's vision and ability to communicate abstract ideas, especially in fantasy.

The problem with the offline prototype is that they can literally do anything they want, because it's offline but that's not accounting for networking dictating certain things that are feasible, and not feasible in a large open environment filled with thousands of other people. That's why I'm still skeptical of the combat. At the end of the day, you're dealing with an authoritative server controlling the numbers and positioning.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 4, 2016

Elewem
Dec 4, 2013

Jar Jar Binks in my Spirit Animal
I pledged $25. I can't wait to regret it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

At least that has the potential for some interesting player interaction. Not to mention how the potions are acquired (bartering with actual players, crafting them yourself, stealing from a shop at night after hours). Now imagine a scenario where you're picking up potions for some group of players preparing for some sort of Guild v Guild battle, rival guild has made a deal with the town herbalist/alchemist/whatever, they go into battle, arrows come flying, they're all hurt, take a swig of the potion, and they start dropping like flies. Point is, it's infinitely more involved than the modern MMO.
Nah, point is, all of that is made up and imaginary.

They're doing this classic "uhhh anything could happen!" PR thing where they're pretending that every other MMO just intentionally stopped players from having fun because they were afraid of the consequences or something. It's infinitely more involved? Why? How? Because they said there's contracts in the game that let you do whatever you want somehow?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Martman posted:

Nah, point is, all of that is made up and imaginary.

They're doing this classic "uhhh anything could happen!" PR thing where they're pretending that every other MMO just intentionally stopped players from having fun because they were afraid of the consequences or something. It's infinitely more involved? Why? How? Because they said there's contracts in the game that let you do whatever you want somehow?

Because it's a fundamentally different premise. If you compare Pantheon or some of the prototypes from other AAA themeparks, you can see that they're going for something completely different. Focusing on quests and zones and dungeons. You're going from a genre which is primarily "you are the hero, now go do the content we've given you, collect 10 boar assholes" to "alright, here's a world, go do stuff, here are a bunch of mechanics that provide meaningful player interaction organically and there's some dungeons/quests we made here and there".

I'm not saying that the potion scenario exists right now, but it certainly could happen if these guys aren't scumbags and don't run off with the money. I really do think these guys are a bunch of frustrated neckbeards that are sick of waiting for the industry to catch up to what people actually want. I'm consistently amazed at how there wasn't a resurgence of sandbox MMOs after the success of Minecraft and games like Day-Z. The only games that actually exist that are comparable are EVE/Galaxies/UO and that sort of tampered goods scenario was certainly possible in those games so I don't think it's PR speak at all to expect ~emergent gameplay~

Wish I could say that this is the first million+ dollar attempt at that sort of game since the early 2000s but it's the second due to Pathfinder Online. Probably shouldn't count Shroud of the Avatar because who the gently caress knows what that is, I don't think Portalarium could answer that themselves. I didn't think Pathfinder had a viable business model or a promising Kickstarter at all, relied far too heavily on the IP it was based on and there were a lot of bad rumors surrounding the project at that time, not to mention it was based on Unity engine in 2012 and that's a red flag entirely on its own.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"a bunch of mechanics that provide meaningful player interaction"
Like what?

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
Can someone start an introduction thread on their forums telling them we have chosen this as our next game and will be enjoying the 3 month head start to set ourselves up to crush the plebs who can't pay $120 or more?

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Martman posted:

Now instead of just having a buy order like in Eve Online we can have a convoluted system and call it a feature. And remove an actual feature like quests.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 5, 2016

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
no joke, two of my coworkers spent pledged $2,000 each on to this game today, I told them kickstarting games post-star citizen is a bad idea, but they done it. how bad did they gently caress up?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

padijun posted:

no joke, two of my coworkers spent pledged $2,000 each on to this game today, I told them kickstarting games post-star citizen is a bad idea, but they done it. how bad did they gently caress up?

Kickstarter isn't a bad idea. Spending $2000 on a Kickstarter is. I've only spent $30 on Star Citizen and I've already had enough fun with it in the small PTU/arena commander modes (and that's before 2.4 with the cool stuff even releases)

Martman posted:

Like what?
Player economy, contracts, skill based crafting, housing, farming in a game where eating/drinking is actually a necessary thing so it isn't optional, player run towns/cities and the player politics that come naturally from that sort of thing.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 5, 2016

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Kickstarter isn't a bad idea. Spending $2000 on a Kickstarter is.

so they got ripped off?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

This looks really interesting. I however won't throw money at the kick starter if they get too bogged down in this ambition project. however IF this game does deliver I will gleefully throw money at them for whatever they plan to use the in game shop.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

We are not very far from people honestly just buying ideas. At least for now they attempt to make it.

Why do people think they can make a game bigger than any AAA title in history with 2% the budget, people, and time?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Shadowlz posted:

We are not very far from people honestly just buying ideas. At least for now they attempt to make it.

Why do people think they can make a game bigger than any AAA title in history with 2% the budget, people, and time?

What makes you think that it's bigger than a AAA title, or even *insert content driven themepark here*? I'd imagine a sandbox where it's just a bunch of mechanics and a world to interact with those mechanics would require a fraction of the time/budget. Look at Gorgon, that's done by a guy and his wife for $75,000. I hate comparing these types of sandbox titles to survival games but survival games are the same premise. You're dropped into a world, given a bunch of mechanics to work with, go off and do stuff. Basically this is a more fleshed out version of Ark and Ark was able to get out a fleshed out build in about 7 months.

By the time this hits alpha in Q1 2017, this will have been in development for over a year and a half. Look at Daniel Vavra's new game Kingdom Come: Deliverance, that's a Elder Scrolls-esque RPG with a bunch of similar mechanics but they're doing a fully voiced world, huge 20+ hour campaign with tons of side content created by hand (easily doubling or even tripling the amount of work/funding required) and that was funded in early 2014 and that's on track for a full release this year. Seems reasonable when you put it under that kind of perspective.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

padijun posted:

Pretty bad. The kickstarter is crammed with pie in the sky promises, hopes and dreams, promising a full fantasy life simulator and features beyond what any AAA company has been able to deliver which should be a giant red flag yet people keep falling for it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It's different this time, guys!

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

I'm consistently amazed at how there wasn't a resurgence of sandbox MMOs after the success of Minecraft and games like Day-Z.

Have you looked at steam or the threads in this forum. Half of them are sandbox. The sandbox market is over-saturated. I'm gonna say you made a mistake in getting rid of overwatch(open beta right now) for something that won't see the light of day till 2020.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Player economy, contracts, skill based crafting, housing, farming in a game where eating/drinking is actually a necessary thing so it isn't optional, player run towns/cities and the player politics that come naturally from that sort of thing.
Oh wow it has an economy. My bad.

Also quests that you get punished for not doing fast enough.

Also you draw a picture of an axe to build an axe, I'm sure that will remain fun past the first time.

Housing is great in lots of games, what are they adding? Oh right people will break into my home and gently caress me over.

And yay more chores and responsibilities. Does my character get heart disease if I eat the wrong foods too?

I understand if you think I'm just looking at the worst case of all of these things, but the problem is that they've given you the barest suggestion (basically "freedom!") and you're running with it in your imagination like people always do with these games. Don't trust game makers when they say "ummm it's ok we'll build actual systems for this stuff later" because it's hard to do that, and the more they talk without being able to back it up the more obvious it becomes that they're making stuff up as they go. That stuff about programming being easy is completely laughable, and constructing systems to make a sandboxy MMO world and economy function day-to-day is also very hard. When they talk about their systems they seem to pretty much spew bullshit like "uhh combat will involve inverse kinematics."

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 6, 2016

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Khako posted:

Have you looked at steam or the threads in this forum. Half of them are sandbox. The sandbox market is over-saturated. I'm gonna say you made a mistake in getting rid of overwatch(open beta right now) for something that won't see the light of day till 2020.

None of them have seemed to click right yet. But with the amount in development right now I'd be afraid to start another.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

You cancelled the Overwatch pre-order for this poo poo? What the gently caress is your major malfunction son?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

SweetBro posted:

You cancelled the Overwatch pre-order for this poo poo? What the gently caress is your major malfunction son?

Overwatch is dangerously close to a finished game, breaks the pattern.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I can do all these things easier IRL, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SweetBro posted:

I like Dirty Bomb more, and it's free. Stellaris and Uncharted 4 are gonna be taking the majority of my time for the next month or two.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 9, 2016

• Locked thread