Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hearthstone is technically still Warcraft, as is that stupid moba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

zVxTeflon posted:

Kids like stupid poo poo thats not going to change because this generation uses twitter and says stuff like yolo

Right but I don't think you can say there hasn't been a shift from the late Gen-X sensibilities of when Preacher came out and what we've got now. I can't not see a faithful adaption of Preacher getting tripped up because someone thought the old man who fucks a woman made out of tied-together meatslabs is offensive because, you know, maybe somebody likes that sort of thing IRL. Basically we're not good enough now for real peurilism and it's sad.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Harime Nui posted:

Right but I don't think you can say there hasn't been a shift from the late Gen-X sensibilities of when Preacher came out and what we've got now. I can't not see a faithful adaption of Preacher getting tripped up because someone thought the old man who fucks a woman made out of tied-together meatslabs is offensive because, you know, maybe somebody likes that sort of thing IRL. Basically we're not good enough now for real peurilism and it's sad.

We're poo poo back then too, the internet just made it harder to look away. But I get, good point. We're too jaded and cynical right now to get offended and excited by the underbelly of 90s society.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Yeah; I'm just old enough to remember enough of the 90s that I'm not gonna be like "boo hoo, we truly lost freedom of thought when they killed Space Cases," but we're in a place now where stuff that was meant to be shocking then has lost its power to shock and stuff that was taken for granted in a story like Preacher is gonna be like, "well, I think it's problematic Daisy stays behind while he goes in to fight The Grail" or w/e.

e: I mean there is no way in a million years this adaption of Preacher will just straight up be Preacher so this whole discussion is hypothetical I just think the idea of a TV series that was the comic panel-to-frame would be really funny

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

zVxTeflon posted:

Kids like stupid poo poo thats not going to change because this generation uses twitter and says stuff like yolo

"Kids like stupid poo poo thats not going to change because this generation uses pogs and says stuff like all that "
-A lame old dude in 1994

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

weekly font posted:

"Kids like stupid poo poo thats not going to change because this generation uses pogs and says stuff like all that "
-A lame old dude in 1994

That lame old dude was right.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Pogs were too loving cool for this earth dude, that's why they disappeared and we're on the 85th iteration of pokemon cards now or whatever

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They're still a thing in South America. Like SNK fighters.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Harime Nui posted:

I don't think if orcs looked like that they'd be flexible enough to be feasible fighters; your thing is ruined sorry

A solution for this, as for many other things, would be to cast a bunch of wrestlers as orcs.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Harime Nui posted:

stuff that was taken for granted in a story like Preacher is gonna be like, "well, I think it's problematic Daisy stays behind while he goes in to fight The Grail" or w/e.

Kids dont actually care about that or talk like that only mid 20/30 yr olds who post online do.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does anyone below the age of 30 even watch linear television anymore?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Going to watch the poo poo out of this movie, the main character is Ragnar Lothbrok from vikings.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

niethan posted:

wow i think i saw a black person in that trailer?!

I'm hoping since the movie actually has black people in it, maybe Blizzard will finally add more than three black people in the entirety of Azeroth (one of which is questionably so and also a dragon and the other is a joke boss in a dungeon based on James Brown.)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

zVxTeflon posted:

Kids dont actually care about that or talk like that only mid 20/30 yr olds who post online do.

what do kids care about?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

mike12345 posted:

what do kids care about?

Kreayshawn

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Wow, way to date yourself gramps.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

mike12345 posted:

what do kids care about?

that other craft game, which also has a movie coming.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

mike12345 posted:

what do kids care about?

I asked mine. Apparently kids care about fire trucks.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

that other craft game, which also has a movie coming.

Directed by Mac from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, no less.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
The subtitle of this thread should be renamed "Tides of Autism".

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

wyoming posted:

Wow, way to date yourself gramps.

I am a youth

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I... I'm kind of looking forward to this. I played the RTS games and played vanilla WoW for a few weeks, and I think it looks fun.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Thought the teaser looked alright but then watched the trailer and was immediately turned off. It just looks so bland and boring, and the CG is veryyyyyyyyyy spotty in parts as well.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

mike12345 posted:

what do kids care about?

My nephew likes Dr. Who so much he actually tracked down the old Tom Baker series, I don't think I can accept him as a normal example

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Yeah, it's not like they don't have months yet to polish up the CG stuff.

I'm in for it. Cautiously optimistic, but of course concerned simply because it's a video game adaptation. But I'm kinda in for both the Angry Birds movie and the Ratchet and Clank films next year as well. If only because of the cast involved in the former, and the fact that the latter is NOT live action, has heavy involvement from the game studio, and has both the original voice cast as well as some pretty heavy hitters.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

mike12345 posted:

what do kids care about?

Vine and Rae Sremmurd.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Apparently this thread is for two different discussions so the warcraft trailer looks like piss and they should have done everything as CGI because the cinematics for the game certainly look way better than anything in that trailer. Also Preacher was cool and good but good luck making inbred Jesus, Arseface, or Odin's meat-sexdoll actually funny on TV.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think it looks bad because they have real people wearing crazy proportioned comic book armour, so even the live action looks off in the same way as bad CGI does.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Here is leaked footage from the next trailer.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Thank you cartoons and toys for creating a generation of people with transformation fetish, among others.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

Thank you cartoons and toys for creating a generation of people with transformation fetish, among others.

This was literally Ovid's Metamorphoses

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Strategic Tea posted:

I think it looks bad because they have real people wearing crazy proportioned comic book armour, so even the live action looks off in the same way as bad CGI does.

That's my main problem with it. I just don't think the Warcraft style translates into what they have tried to do.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Corek posted:

This was literally Ovid's Metamorphoses

I thought about that, but I figured most of the people drawing stuff on DeviantArt now are probably more familiar with Turbo Teen than Ovid.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PoPcornTG posted:

That's my main problem with it. I just don't think the Warcraft style translates into what they have tried to do.

You look at the design of the people in the games, and its comparably exaggerated. They have huge, ridiculous chins, or really skinny heads that match their physiques and outfits. The Hobbit movies understood this, so every dwarf was buried under piles of make up and fake hair to get the right proportion.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kull the Conqueror posted:

That trailer featured no mining of gold nor chopping of wood. 0/10 Will not see.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

No butt-naked ogres either, shameful.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The MSJ posted:

I thought about that, but I figured most of the people drawing stuff on DeviantArt now are probably more familiar with Turbo Teen than Ovid.

This made me think that there are possibly people who are aroused by Kafka's The Metamorphosis, it's an awful thought.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Grendels Dad posted:

This made me think that there are possibly people who are aroused by Kafka's The Metamorphosis, it's an awful thought.

possibly?

babua
Apr 29, 2009
My only -and unrealistic- expectation from this movie:

That they use the WC2 music at some point, or even reference the themes/leitmotifs.

The rest will be pew pew anyway, who's really expecting an earth-shattering narrative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hope the movie opens with a really lovely sounding orc narrating over this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZAXwQ_Kyco

• Locked thread