Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

computer parts posted:

Nah, it's basically an open world game but with a more structured approach to quests, and a lack of a fast travel mechanic (except with certain classes, for certain destinations). Fallout 3 had similar quests to the dreaded collectathons that people bitch about, like "hit 10 molerats with this stick".

I've played Fallout 3 and I don't think that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowman_McK posted:

I've played Fallout 3 and I don't think that's true.

The stuff about the Wasteland survival guide is basically exactly out of an MMO. Other stuff is less correlated but that's only because the environment can change more in a single player game compared with multiplayer (although I think WoW ended up doing some interesting stuff like that in Wrath of the Lich King and beyond).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

computer parts posted:

The stuff about the Wasteland survival guide is basically exactly out of an MMO. Other stuff is less correlated but that's only because the environment can change more in a single player game compared with multiplayer (although I think WoW ended up doing some interesting stuff like that in Wrath of the Lich King and beyond).

I forgot about it. I ignored it completely when I played.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mists was a really good expansion, the dropoff was more because the game is old and you can only trick people into paying monthly to grind bullshit for so long. Plus increasingly long content gaps causing them to lose even the die-hard players.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
One WoW experience I'd like them to translate into the movies is that one character walks into one direction for ages. Maybe with a comment to the audience that they can go take a leak now, reaching Castle Stormblaze will take ten minutes.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Tender Bender posted:

Mists was a really good expansion, the dropoff was more because the game is old and you can only trick people into paying monthly to grind bullshit for so long. Plus increasingly long content gaps causing them to lose even the die-hard players.

Yeah, the content gap is a big problem at the moment with the next expansion not due until middle of next year.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grendels Dad posted:

One WoW experience I'd like them to translate into the movies is that one character walks into one direction for ages. Maybe with a comment to the audience that they can go take a leak now, reaching Castle Stormblaze will take ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bB3jFOgFTE

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The MSJ posted:

Thank you cartoons and toys for creating a generation of people with transformation fetish, among others.

You know how kick rear end it would be to be a shark man?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

The drop started in Cataclysm.

Cataclysm was really alienating to me. I played WoW pretty casually when it first came out, and took an extended break. When Cataclysm came out, the whole "let's make significant changes to the world and create this big event" thing felt like it was closing its doors on the first chapter of the game and starting a new one, but you could NEVER go back to the first chapter ever. So to get back into the game meant you were being dropped right into the middle of things without any real chance of appreciating it, if that makes sense.

Maybe I'm just not meant to be an MMO gamer?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jamesman posted:

Cataclysm was really alienating to me. I played WoW pretty casually when it first came out, and took an extended break. When Cataclysm came out, the whole "let's make significant changes to the world and create this big event" thing felt like it was closing its doors on the first chapter of the game and starting a new one, but you could NEVER go back to the first chapter ever. So to get back into the game meant you were being dropped right into the middle of things without any real chance of appreciating it, if that makes sense.

Maybe I'm just not meant to be an MMO gamer?

While true, it wasn't a very good chapter at all that they were keeping you from going back to and the new chapter that replaced it was a whole lot better. I mean, it did cause some weird gymnastics to explain why you were going back in time for the Burning Crusade and Lich King when you hit the appropriate levels, but it was no biggie. I can't imagine longing for things like the unchanged Barrens.

Of course, on the other hand, the type of person who actually played WOW from day 1 to Cataclysm is likely also the type of person to cherish the soul crushing grind of pre-Cataclysm Azeroth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The funny thing about Cataclysm is that it made the quality curve of the game really weird. A new player starts out in these good-looking areas with all sorts of cool involved quests, phasing, fast-paced area clearing, celebrity cameos, and more. And then you have to play loving Burning Crusade.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

The funny thing about Cataclysm is that it made the quality curve of the game really weird. A new player starts out in these good-looking areas with all sorts of cool involved quests, phasing, fast-paced area clearing, celebrity cameos, and more. And then you have to play loving Burning Crusade.

I liked the one area of Burning Crusade where it was just a big set of plains with like a giant orb or something in the middle. Everything else was pretty bad though.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

The best one was from vanilla, where you couldn't even log in...

http://www.leagueofpirates.com/sirvival/queuedance.html

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

I liked the one area of Burning Crusade where it was just a big set of plains with like a giant orb or something in the middle. Everything else was pretty bad though.

Even if it wasn't a huge eyesore, the questlines are just awful.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I love wow expansions because you can clearly see the point in development where they go...."fuuuuuuuuuuuuck how many more zones do we need to make? gently caress it theyre just slaughtering deer and rhinos and poo poo for 30 quests straight, i cant even do this poo poo anymore man"

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zVxTeflon posted:

I love wow expansions because you can clearly see the point in development where they go...."fuuuuuuuuuuuuck how many more zones do we need to make? gently caress it theyre just slaughtering deer and rhinos and poo poo for 30 quests straight, i cant even do this poo poo anymore man"

There were three zones in vanilla that they straight up didn't put any quests in at launch(Moonglade, Azshara, Deadwind Pass), and two more that were so underserved they were patched later to have more (Silithus, Dustwallow Marsh).

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Cythereal posted:

Nope, Theramore. Turned it into a crater. Deathwing is the one who wrecked Stormwind.

It wasn't safe to come out of the shelter until noon the next day. When the Horde and their guards did come out, the sky was black with smoke. The sun was an angry little pinhead. Theramore was like the moon now, nothing but minerals. The stones were hot. Everybody else in the neighborhood was dead.

So it goes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Corek posted:

There were three zones in vanilla that they straight up didn't put any quests in at launch(Moonglade, Azshara, Deadwind Pass), and two more that were so underserved they were patched later to have more (Silithus, Dustwallow Marsh).

Moonglade had a bunch of quests in it at launch. If you were a druid.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If you weren't a Druid could you even get into Moonglade without wall climbing or ocean fatigue bar gambling in Vanilla?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gyges posted:

If you weren't a Druid could you even get into Moonglade without wall climbing or ocean fatigue bar gambling in Vanilla?

There was a whole awful questline about befriending bears to let you use the tunnel that goes to Moonglade, iirc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

There was a whole awful questline about befriending bears to let you use the tunnel that goes to Moonglade, iirc.

Or you could just fight your way through the bears. I played a druid at launch, and they had a lot of flavor and class stuff in vanilla that emphasized that druids were part of the Horde or Alliance, but held their shared identity as druids to be more important and the highest of their loyalties.

That kind of class flavor was lost over the years except for death knights and monks, though the new expansion looks to be bringing some of that back.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

There is the Lunar Festival for three weeks every February starting in 2006(?) that lets anyone teleport to Moonglade to chill and do a few simple quests.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCfLn-OgR4g

This is a better trailer than the one for the movie.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

computer parts posted:

Nah, it's basically an open world game but with a more structured approach to quests, and a lack of a fast travel mechanic (except with certain classes, for certain destinations). Fallout 3 had similar quests to the dreaded collectathons that people bitch about, like "hit 10 molerats with this stick".

Fallout 4 is a more apt comparison these days, what with its respawning enemies and legendary cockroaches that drop nuclear missile launchers.

Anyway these days it feels like Blizzard players can't really talk about it without getting embarrassed with self-realization at how bad the games have become mid-sentence.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Does anyone below the age of 30 even watch linear television anymore?

Of course. Even Friends is popular again among teenagers thanks to Netflix.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Toady posted:

Of course. Even Friends is popular again among teenagers thanks to Netflix.

Exactly. Netflix is a streaming service that allows you to watch whatever you want whenever you want. Which is to say the opposite of linear television.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
People below 25 really like Friends, for some weird reason, it's like a generation gap.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Friends gets weirder every year.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

People below 25 really like Friends, for some weird reason, it's like a generation gap.

It's horrifying.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kull the Conqueror posted:

That trailer featured no mining of gold nor chopping of wood. 0/10 Will not see.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder how they will react to Ross playing Kim Kardashian's father.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

computer parts posted:

you have to take into account FO3 has real time combat that actually requires skill/focus so it's not just "click on enemy, cast a few spells while the game autoattacks for you, and then collect loot" that all MMOs have.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

How will this movie replicate the experience that is Barren Chat?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The MSJ posted:

I wonder how they will react to Ross playing Kim Kardashian's father.

Looks less like "im going grey" and more like "someone jizzed in my hair"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

How will this movie replicate the experience that is Barren Chat?

Instead of a message to turn off your phones, the theater will instead be encouraged to text to their heart's content. Maybe set up live tweeting on #BarrensChat.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Exactly. Netflix is a streaming service that allows you to watch whatever you want whenever you want. Which is to say the opposite of linear television.

I misunderstood your post and stand corrected.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Man, maybe I'm preaching to the choir, maybe I'm not, but this thing looks like poo poo.

Nothing but live actors chopped into CGI everything else(he jumps off a cliff... AND LANDS ON A GRIPHONDORFFLOPER?!!! BROO!!!!!!!), costumes that look like they used cheap synthetic materials that have been over-dry-cleaned so they don't piss off the guy with Asperger's they borrowed it from.

I just wish this movie had a black female lesbian lead who doesn't have large breasts and doesn't have any sex scenes, so that I could walk around town and every now and then find obese young men lying on the ground, dead from hate aneurysms.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I find it really difficult to believe anyone but the most diehard of WoW fans thinks this movie doesn't at least look kinda bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come a bunch of the orcs are white/brownish when orcs are only green or red in the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come a bunch of the orcs are white/brownish when orcs are only green or red in the games.

Really dumb retcons.

• Locked thread