Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This is starting to get into vidya games posting and not movie posting, which maybe matters even though everyone posting in the thread is also posting in the Blizz forum.

There's just not too much to say about this movie at the moment.

My personal feelings is making Warcraft a live-action fantasy movie would be possible, but the lengths you'd have to go to are not the lengths they ended up going to. The fantasy world of the Warcraft universe is significantly different from our world, so just shooting in a forest and field and putting in some CG orcs and a castle in there does not give it a Warcraft feel at all. There are impossible geographical landscapes, vast kingdoms and various clans mingling with one another, magic and machinery and beasts all being thrown about on the battlefield. To bring that all together in a movie takes a lot of effort, and I'm not seeing that so far. What I am seeing is a very minimal attempt at portraying Warcraft in a way that I would compare to a LARP event.

But this is just an early trailer for a movie coming out... less than a year from now. Maybe they're just not finished with all the effects for the demons and elementals and wolf riders and making Stormwind Keep look like it has more than 20 people living there and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jamesman posted:

My personal feelings is making Warcraft a live-action fantasy movie would be possible, but the lengths you'd have to go to are not the lengths they ended up going to. The fantasy world of the Warcraft universe is significantly different from our world, so just shooting in a forest and field and putting in some CG orcs and a castle in there does not give it a Warcraft feel at all. There are impossible geographical landscapes, vast kingdoms and various clans mingling with one another, magic and machinery and beasts all being thrown about on the battlefield. To bring that all together in a movie takes a lot of effort, and I'm not seeing that so far. What I am seeing is a very minimal attempt at portraying Warcraft in a way that I would compare to a LARP event.

But this is just an early trailer for a movie coming out... less than a year from now. Maybe they're just not finished with all the effects for the demons and elementals and wolf riders and making Stormwind Keep look like it has more than 20 people living there and

Speaking of Stormwind, one of the earlier promo things was a flyover of the city, complete with 360 degree control of the view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_J8k43gUhY

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Who decided to put in the clipart eagle and accompany it with a public domain screech?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fziRzD05yI

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Amazing. If you play this at 1.25 speed, he sounds like he's speaking at normal speed. At 1.5 speed, everyone else is sped up but he still sounds mostly normal.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Did he show up this year? I didn't hear anything about him and I'm worried. :(

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jamesman posted:

He's every other poster in this thread.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jamesman posted:

I think it's really going to depend on how many liberties they take with the source material, because as it stands the Warcraft universe is kind of difficult to introduce to fresh audiences. Dalaran is already a flying city in the movie, for example, and was not involved in the First War in the main timeline.

What we've seen so far makes it sound like they're trying to keep it a basic Orcs vs. Humans plot, but I can't see it being that simple with characters like Durotan being in the movie. There's no chance in hell Metzen would permit Durotan to be a bad guy, so either the movie's going to try making humans the bad guys or the real villains are going to be the Horde - Gul'dan, Blackhand, and the like. Maybe Medivh.

I think the movie's choice of villain will say a lot about the kind of story we're likely to see, once that gets announced.

Maybe Medivh and/or the Dark Council in this movie to lay ground for the Burning Legion in a future movie. I also would not be surprised to see Ner'zhul in a prominent role, as if the movie somehow does decently well I expect Metzen will want to push for the WC3 story arc.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jamesman posted:

They let him ask the first question at the warcraft open q&a this year. I don't remember what it was about but it was something stupid. Rest assured he's still ticking

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

this was me expending way too much effort (and i probably coulda gone step by step if i wanted to) on release http://pastebin.com/Dsi1fRzs

Good enough for me. I haven't bought a blizzard product since vanilla WoW and barely keep my ear to the ground on blizzard's activities.

As far as the movie goes, it's poo poo. We all know this. They should have diverted funds over to Warcraft Adventures and finished that instead.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Metzen has always been a creative hack, its just that from Warcraft 1 through early WoW his creative input was taking a backseat to some really excellent games. Both his art and writing have always been this derivative fantasy worthy of an excellent highschool dungeon master (i.e. a master of "the rule of cool" with no depth). The more his lovely characters and plotlines have taken center stage and driven the creative direction of the games, the more they have fallen down. Putting his creative work up on a silver screen with fancy production values is not going to change the fact that his characters are going to do the equivalent of cut an hour-long wrestling promo then smash together in some incoherent mass CGI battle.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think the games just lacked the graphical fidelity to properly render Metzen's work, so Diablo 1 ended up looking gritty and despondent.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

I think the games just lacked the graphical fidelity to properly render Metzen's work, so Diablo 1 ended up looking gritty and despondent.

Most of Diablo 2 is gritty as gently caress and the first Act of Diablo 3 is also pretty good. They don't seem to understand that most people would be happy, and there's a lot more you could do, with a classic dungeon crawl mentality to the design. If Diablo 4 doesn't have a Desert World it will already be an improvement.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Most of Diablo 2 is gritty as gently caress and the first Act of Diablo 3 is also pretty good. They don't seem to understand that most people would be happy, and there's a lot more you could do, with a classic dungeon crawl mentality to the design. If Diablo 4 doesn't have a Desert World it will already be an improvement.

LOOK! more hidden footprints!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It looks like it is going to be kinda serious, which is sort of a shame because Noble Savage aside, I always thought the Orcs were a pretty goofy bunch. Maybe they could combine it:

Commander: "I want that lumbermill ready in 90 seconds!

Peon: Zug zug warchief!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Desert world was fine in 2. It was a nice change of visuals. The two things that bugged me most about Diablo 3 were the art direction and the awful story, although the gameplay not "hooking" me the way 2 did was the ultimate reason I stopped.

I've whined about this before, but in Diablo 2, despite the dark colors, everything is crisp and easy to make out on the screen due to the extremely high contrast and strong shadows of the art assets. In 3 there's this murkiness to every single thing due to all the billions of shaders and fog effects that are on screen, and to compensate for how that makes pattern recognition and visibility null and void, they added all these gaudy color coded glows to every single thing in the game. It looks terrible.

People made fun of the players who were upset necromancer was getting replaced by witch doctor but ultimately I don't know why they didn't bring back the single most iconic class of D2 in favor of yet another racist stereotype.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Panfilo posted:

It looks like it is going to be kinda serious, which is sort of a shame because Noble Savage aside, I always thought the Orcs were a pretty goofy bunch. Maybe they could combine it:

Commander: "I want that lumbermill ready in 90 seconds!

Peon: Zug zug warchief!

this is the movie they shoulda made.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I've whined about this before, but in Diablo 2, despite the dark colors, everything is crisp and easy to make out on the screen due to the extremely high contrast and strong shadows of the art assets. In 3 there's this murkiness to every single thing due to all the billions of shaders and fog effects that are on screen, and to compensate for how that makes pattern recognition and visibility null and void, they added all these gaudy color coded glows to every single thing in the game. It looks terrible.

When I played Diablo 2 multiplayer with like 7 other people, I could easily tell where I was and what was going on and never lost track of anything happening on screen.

When I played Diablo 3 multiplayer with 3 other people (because you can't have any more), I couldn't even find my cursor on the screen among all the poo poo flying around. That is not a joke. I was unable to grasp what was going on or maintain any control over my character because there was just too many effects competing for attention.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I always played Diablo III on the lowest possible graphical settings because they're all my computer could handle. I never really realized what a bullet I was dodging, huh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they also added high heels to Kerrigan in sc2.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Desert world was fine in 2. It was a nice change of visuals. The two things that bugged me most about Diablo 3 were the art direction and the awful story, although the gameplay not "hooking" me the way 2 did was the ultimate reason I stopped.

People made fun of the players who were upset necromancer was getting replaced by witch doctor but ultimately I don't know why they didn't bring back the single most iconic class of D2 in favor of yet another racist stereotype.

I hated Desert World in 2 mostly because the outdoor areas were fugly and for some reason they thought meowing cat people would be a good enemy in a game about fighting the forces of the underworld.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If someone enjoys a game for more than 10 hours they don't really have a leg to stand on by saying it's a bad game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

If someone enjoys a game for more than 10 hours they don't really have a leg to stand on by saying it's a bad game.

Playing a game for 10 hours and enjoying it for 10 hours is wholly different.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I hated Desert World in 2 mostly because the outdoor areas were fugly and for some reason they thought meowing cat people would be a good enemy in a game about fighting the forces of the underworld.

it also had the worst boss especially when you played online.

Steve2911 posted:

nah sometimes you just suffer through to the end so you can see how deep the rabbit hole truly goes. i don't feel i can properly judge a movie until i sit through the full two hours it's kinda the same.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

it also had the worst boss especially when you played online.

Looking for Baal? - enormous corpse and pile of loot

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah sometimes you just suffer through to the end so you can see how deep the rabbit hole truly goes. i don't feel i can properly judge a movie until i sit through the full two hours it's kinda the same.

Yeah, that's why I said enjoy.

It's the people who complain that they've run out of things to do after 100+ hours that drive me mental. A £30 game is not obligated to give you an eternal endgame to be considered good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

It's the people who complain that they've run out of things to do after 100+ hours that drive me mental. A £30 game is not obligated to give you an eternal endgame to be considered good.

It's being compared to its predecessor, which is entirely fair.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

i bought diablo 3 because diablo 1 and 2 are in my top ten games ever. the game take slonger than 10 hours to complete. it was insanely bad almost the entire time but i felt like i had to finish the thing as i do a bad book or movie to make a proper judgment.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i bought diablo 3 because diablo 1 and 2 are in my top ten games ever. the game take slonger than 10 hours to complete. it was insanely bad almost the entire time but i felt like i had to finish the thing as i do a bad book or movie to make a proper judgment.

If you didn't like playing it that's totally fair.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Diablo 3 isn't a bad game if Diablo 1 and 2 didn't exist. It's a competent game that provides an adequate, albeit underwhelming experience. But when it has to live up to its predecessors, it is really, really bad.

I kept playing it trying to see if it would "click" but it didn't. :(

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I thought the popular opinion is that Diablo 3 became a good game only after tons of patches and installing Reaper of Souls.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

those people are mistaken.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

After the recent patch where they completely revamped the endgame it's much improved. There's no salvaging the story, but I'd definitely take the loot game over Diablo 2

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I really can't think of anything that makes the game fundamentally different after all the patching and the expansion. They retooled loot tables to make drops more tailored to your character, but that just encouraged less trading and more solo play. They had some weird ascension thing where you kept leveling beyond levels but that just meant you were doing more aimless, slow, grinding without seeing and benefit. They added this raid dungeon thing and again, grinding without seeing any benefit AND most of it is just replaying old missions out of order instead of any kind of new or interesting content.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

And Diablo 2 just had you doing boss runs over and over and trading with scammers.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Diablo 3 also recently added something that's kind of like the Horadric Cube from 2 called the Kanai's Cube which lets you take any one attribute from a legendary and put it on another item of your choice, as well as the ability to upgrade rare items to legendary ones. I understand not liking the art design or especially story of Diablo 3 because the former can get pretty messy sometimes and the latter is pretty drat awful, but I think anyone who prefers the gameplay of 2 compared to 3 at this point is kind of crazy, especially when 2 didn't allow you to respec for the longest time and you have to do repeated runs through Hell mode to get the items you want whilst 3 lets you alter your build to fit the items you can find and more and more bounties, dungeons, items and gameplay features are being added with each patch.

Diablo 3 nowadays is a different game than Diablo 3 when it first launched.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

And Diablo 2 just had you doing boss runs over and over and trading with scammers.

Be that as it may, I am getting nostalgic for Diablo 2 because of this thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Long ago I swore an oath to not get hooked on Diablo 2 again.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
i will enjoy this movie if:

-an orc says "me not that kind of orc"

-a sheep explodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Leaked script lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuHOzHHC7ms

• Locked thread