Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Sharkie posted:

People can come down on the conservative side about anything. Again, that's so broad it's practically meaningless, and given that people can come down on the conservative side about anything, why link those two specific things together? Are you trying to say that they are both things you come down on the conservative side on? And here's your reply to RRH:

This is the article you're calling "ridiculous and hysterical." Or so I assume, since you linked an entire thread, but this is the article the thread's about. It might be useful if you pointed out what exactly is ridiculous and hysterical about it, since it covers many different events and topics related to consent. Or maybe you could scrap this thread and start a new one about how people are addressing sexual assault in the wrong way, and another new one about marrying robots or whatever, because I'm not sure that "boy SJWs sure are hysterical about sexual assault, anyways what does the future hold" really works as a thread if you don't want people to address the first part.

No, I honestly appreciate your input on this, and you taking the time to help me clarify some of things that others might've been having problems understanding as well. And I do hope people continue to "address the first part" since that seems to be generating a good amount of the discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

-Blackadder- posted:

No, I honestly appreciate your input on this, and you taking the time to help me clarify some of things that others might've been having problems understanding as well. And I do hope people continue to "address the first part" since that seems to be generating a good amount of the discussion.

so since you're apparently only able to respond to direct questions, what part of that article is ridiculous and hysterical

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok but none of this addresses any of my questions or points, or clarifies anything. For example, "Anime headmates and certain methods of addressing campus sexual assault (this is specific as I can get because you've been so vague about it) are alike because you can be conservative about them" is a uselessly vague statement. What is hysterical about the article you referenced? And if sexual assault and consent is something you wanted to discuss why not just make a thread about it?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Literally The Worst posted:

so since you're apparently only able to respond to direct questions, what part of that article is ridiculous and hysterical

Well, I thought the link was self explanatory, particularly since I pointed it to the thread with a specific quote. But here it is again:

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — The classroom of 10th graders had already learned about sexually transmitted diseases and various types of birth control. Today, the 15-year-olds gathered around tables to discuss another topic: how and why to make sure each step in a sexual encounter is met with consent.

Consent from the person you are kissing — or more — is not merely silence or a lack of protest, Shafia Zaloom, a health educator at the Urban School of San Francisco , told the students. They listened with rapt attention, but several did not disguise how puzzled they felt.

“What does that mean — you have to say ‘yes’ every 10 minutes?” asked Aiden Ryan, 15, who sat near the front of the room.

“Pretty much,” Ms. Zaloom answered. “It’s not a timing thing, but whoever initiates things to another level has to ask.”

And another

quote:

Last year, Corey Mock, a student at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, was expelled after officials there found him guilty of sexual misconduct because he could not prove he had obtained verbalconsent from a woman who accused him of sexual assault. But a Davidson County Chancery Court judge ruled in August that the school had “improperly shifted the burden of proof and imposed an untenable standard upon Mr. Mock to disprove the accusation.”

The judge called the school’s ruling “arbitrary and capricious.”

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I think it's goddamn hilarious that people are still whining about the PC police. It was a tired concept 25 years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/10/28/weekinreview/ideas-trends-the-rising-hegemony-of-the-politically-correct.html?pagewanted=all

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

-Blackadder- posted:

Well, I thought the link was self explanatory, particularly since I pointed it to the thread with a specific quote. But here it is again:

And another

You have still failed to answer a very simple question. What is wrong with saying "When you escalate sexual interaction, you've got to be sure it's consensual"? In the second example, what is wrong with a person who can't prove consent being prosecuted? Alternatively, what is wrong with the judge's ruling?

When you want to argue something, you should really make it clear what your point is.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Sharkie posted:

Ok but none of this addresses any of my questions or points, or clarifies anything. For example, "Anime headmates and certain methods of addressing campus sexual assault (this is specific as I can get because you've been so vague about it) are alike because you can be conservative about them" is a uselessly vague statement.

You seem to be having a lot of trouble with this one so I'll lay it out for you as simple as I can. In my OP I never mention anime or headmates. I make reference to reading about yes means yes laws as an example of what I felt was sexual hysteria that I was shocked, as a leftist, to find was coming from the left. This prompted me to wonder what social issues I might encounter in the future that I theoretically come down on the conservative side of. Later other posters brought up headmates and otherkin, as examples of extremist views on tumblr also. The two don't necessarily have any more in common then that they were part of an on going discussion about social issues people might face in the future.

Sharkie posted:

What is hysterical about the article you referenced?

See my previous post.

Sharkie posted:

And if sexual assault and consent is something you wanted to discuss why not just make a thread about it?

Honestly, because as I originally said at the bottom of my OP and in bold, the first paragraph was really just a jumping off point for the central theme of the thread, which was to discuss the future of social issues as a whole. A few posters seem to have clung to the first paragraph of the OP like a life preserver and talked only about that. I didn't really want to discourage them because it's generating discussion in the thread and it is part of the OP and thus should be open to discussion, it was just never meant to be the central focus of the thread that it's become to due a few posters getting bogged down in it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
You're not actually saying a goddamn thing, is the thing. I can tell you hate "yes means yes laws," whatever the gently caress that's supposed to mean, but you aren't talking about the meat of these laws nor the specifics about what's so loving terrible. You say you want this to be about what the next horrible thing the left is going to push is, but that's clearly not what this is about; how are we supposed to know and who gives a drat? So just say whatever you really want to say and let's get this over with.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

-Blackadder- posted:

You seem to be having a lot of trouble with this one so I'll lay it out for you as simple as I can. In my OP I never mention anime or headmates. I make reference to reading about yes means yes laws as an example of what I felt was sexual hysteria that I was shocked, as a leftist, to find was coming from the left. This prompted me to wonder what social issues I might encounter in the future that I theoretically come down on the conservative side of. Later other posters brought up headmates and otherkin, as examples of extremist views on tumblr also. The two don't necessarily have any more in common then that they were part of an on going discussion about social issues people might face in the future.

See my previous post.

Honestly, because as I originally said at the bottom of my OP and in bold, the first paragraph was really just a jumping off point for the central theme of the thread, which was to discuss the future of social issues as a whole. A few posters seem to have clung to the first paragraph of the OP like a life preserver and talked only about that. I didn't really want to discourage them because it's generating discussion in the thread and it is part of the OP and thus should be open to discussion, it was just never meant to be the central focus of the thread that it's become to due a few posters getting bogged down in it.

We've been over this. You're the one clinging to the OP like a life raft insisting you never linked headmates with sexual assault and consent in the OP, yet when someone asked you what you meant by SJWs this is what you said:

-Blackadder- posted:

Basically anything from what I linked in my previous post, what LGD mentioned regarding campus sexual assault issues, and the run of the mill tumblr headmate stuff. Obviously not every person who identifies as an SJW or posts on tumblr agrees with each other. And I'm obviously not trying to generalize and say that everyone who posts on tumblr has an elf headmate.

In that post you linked them. Now you're saying "the two don't necessarily have any more in common then that they were part of an on going discussion about social issues people might face in the future," yet earlier you said they were in common because

-Blackadder- posted:

They're both things that one could come down on the conservative side on.

You're vague and self-contradictory. And like I said, "boy these people sure are hysterical about sexual assault, now where's that robot marriage cartoon" is incoherent as a thread and you shouldn't be surprised when people think the first part is more worthy of discussion.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You have still failed to answer a very simple question. What is wrong with saying "When you escalate sexual interaction, you've got to be sure it's consensual"?

Here's the part in the article where a room full of teenagers comes up with a way to address something Blackadder thinks is hysterical and ridiculous:

quote:

“Did you come up with any (ways to ask consent) on your own?” Ms. Zaloom asked.

One boy offered up two words: “You good?”

That drew nearly unanimous nods of approval.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 10, 2015

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

You have still failed to answer a very simple question. What is wrong with saying "When you escalate sexual interaction, you've got to be sure it's consensual"? In the second example, what is wrong with a person who can't prove consent being prosecuted? Alternatively, what is wrong with the judge's ruling?

When you want to argue something, you should really make it clear what your point is.

Are you not familiar with the yes means yes laws? I'm reasonably sure you'e probably aware of this, and are just feigning ignorance, but the key difference between yes means yest vs what we have now is most definitely NOT "When you escalate sexual interaction, you've got to be sure it's consensual", or "a person who can't prove consent being prosecuted", it's that as is pointed out quite plainly in the quotes from the article, affirmative verbal consent is a requirement.

I feel this is particularly obvious since both the "examples" you posted already exist under the current standard consent laws. Honestly, if that's not clear enough for you, I'm don't think I can help you understand any better.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Stop loving around in the margins, Blackadder. What's wrong with expressive consent?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

You're not actually saying a goddamn thing, is the thing. I can tell you hate "yes means yes laws," whatever the gently caress that's supposed to mean, but you aren't talking about the meat of these laws nor the specifics about what's so loving terrible. You say you want this to be about what the next horrible thing the left is going to push is, but that's clearly not what this is about; how are we supposed to know and who gives a drat? So just say whatever you really want to say and let's get this over with.

Well I just responded to your previous post so hopefully that clarifies some things, if not, again, I don't think I can be any clearer. Maybe research yes means yes a little yourself?

I'm not sure why you think "that's clearly not what this is about".

Whether or not we're able to know is part of the discussion, actually! As far as who gives a drat? People posting in this thread, I hope! :)

I've, honestly, been saying what I really wanted to see, although I said it more in the beginning of the thread. Lately, I've been trying to explain yes means yes laws etc to you and sharkie.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Sharkie posted:

We've been over this. You're the one clinging to the OP like a life raft insisting you never linked headmates with sexual assault and consent in the OP, yet when someone asked you what you meant by SJWs this is what you said:

In that post you linked them. Now you're saying "the two don't necessarily have any more in common then that they were part of an on going discussion about social issues people might face in the future," yet earlier you said they were in common because

You're vague and self-contradictory. And like I said, "boy these people sure are hysterical about sexual assault, now where's that robot marriage cartoon" is incoherent as a thread and you shouldn't be surprised when people think the first part is more worthy of discussion.

Here's the part in the article where a room full of teenagers comes up with a way to address something Blackadder thinks is hysterical and ridiculous:

It's unfortunate if my OP wasn't clear and my responses further muddied the waters for you. Honestly, it really was never my intention to obfuscate any issues. and I think regardless of whatever else, it should be pretty obvious I never intended to send the thread off on the tangent it's taken. But I'm not going to complain about my thread generating discussion either, even if it wasn't exactly the focus I had planned.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Stop loving around in the margins, Blackadder. What's wrong with expressive consent?

Haha, I gotta say your avatar + posting style works really well. I hear R. Lee. Ermey when I read your posts.

I'm sorry, man, I explained it the best I can. I can only do so much, I can do no more! :)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think that worries about explicit consent laws need to be understood as being worries about the conditions we exist in as they affect our own value. Calling them ridiculous is understandable even if it's not 100% what we actually mean--they aren't going anywhere, they're defining factors in our current dialogues about sexual practices. Someone might wish that that dialogue wasn't what it is, for reasons that don't come from bad places mentally, but wishing doesn't make it so.

Explicit consent laws add complexity to something that's already pretty complex for a lot of people, and they conceptually add more opportunities to gently caress up (and in so doing diminish your own value as a human). But just calling new rules and practices ridiculous isn't going to protect that value--think about how it puts you on the back foot here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm sorry, man, I explained it the best I can. I can only do so much, I can do no more! :)

You are really bad at explaining. I can't suss out how you feel about these laws other than "They're bad, somehow!"

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Chantilly Say posted:

I think that worries about explicit consent laws need to be understood as being worries about the conditions we exist in as they affect our own value. Calling them ridiculous is understandable even if it's not 100% what we actually mean--they aren't going anywhere, they're defining factors in our current dialogues about sexual practices. Someone might wish that that dialogue wasn't what it is, for reasons that don't come from bad places mentally, but wishing doesn't make it so.

Explicit consent laws add complexity to something that's already pretty complex for a lot of people, and they conceptually add more opportunities to gently caress up (and in so doing diminish your own value as a human). But just calling new rules and practices ridiculous isn't going to protect that value--think about how it puts you on the back foot here.

Hey, this is a good post! Thanks!

Whatever wishes I have about the yes means yes laws, or anything else for that matter, I certainly understand that they are just wishes. The world we live in is the world we live in. But you know, your point on that really get's me thinking because part of landing on the conservative side of future issues is a kind of a carnal fear that the world is leaving you behind and even more than that it's becoming a hostile place. That's what I found so fascinating about the yes means yes, and any of the other issue I've been coming across, that was controversial even to a liberal. It's the realization that I'm not always going to be the smug liberal assured in the fact that the future is on my side. I remember there was a daily show episode yeas ago where Jon Stewart interviewed, I think Bill Bennet, there was an exchange where they were talking about Gay Marriage and Jon basically just said "your side's going to lose, your side is always going to lose." and Bennet looked really sad. It was great, but I never considered what it must be like to be on the losing side of social issues. I mean granted it's not like we can say liberals run the planet or anything, there's probably a good argument for conservatives always winning on economic issues, but that might depend on how you look at it. On the one hand we've been losing a lot of the labor progress made from the new deal since Reagan, on the other hand things are overall still better than they were under the robber barons. But anyway, it got me thinking how I would face those future social issues that I wasn't going to be on the winning side of and what could they be.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's perfectly understandable to worry that circumstances outside your control are going to diminish your social value.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Chantilly Say posted:

It's perfectly understandable to worry that circumstances outside your control are going to diminish your social value.

Yeah, exactly, I mean, I'm not really sure I make the connection that affirmative consent laws diminish my value as a human being, at least I don't quite see exactly how I'm less of a person because of them or whatever, but I see where you're coming from with it when you link them to creating more opportunities to for screw ups.

But as far as everything else, certainly there are going to be changes in the future that really do diminish my social value. I would imagine pervasive autonomous mechanized mobile labor will pretty directly diminish my value to society, for example, and I'm sure they'll be much more.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Future?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

WampaLord posted:

You are really bad at explaining. I can't suss out how you feel about these laws other than "They're bad, somehow!"

I don't have a dog in this fight and it's pretty clear that you do understand the basic points the op is attempting to make but are yourself attempting to pidgeonhole him when it comes to one specific example he gave. Naughty naughty.

It's not his bad that he's attempting to avoid being corraled into an arguable derail.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
OVERSHARING ALERT

I'm an old and "yes means yes"/affirmative verbal consent is how I learned consent as a young adult. I can't honestly say that I've used it in 100% of interactions, but I've sure as poo poo used it if I had any inkling of doubt in my mind that an *ehrm* escalation in activities may have been unwarranted or unwelcome.

As a bonus, you get to take another human being's feelings into account during what is ostensibly intimacy.

moller fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 10, 2015

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Nathilus posted:

I don't have a dog in this fight and it's pretty clear that you do understand the basic points the op is attempting to make but are yourself attempting to pidgeonhole him when it comes to one specific example he gave. Naughty naughty.

It's not his bad that he's attempting to avoid being corraled into an arguable derail.

How is this anything other than "please don't argue specifics otherwise my side will lose." If the op had a coherent argument he'd make it by now.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Because the entire conception of justice in the Western tradition is focused on the presumption of innocence?

Because these sorts of laws and regulations always seem to reinforce traditionally sexist tropes about women and sexuality(where male sexuality is portrayed as inherently predatory and female sexuality inherently meek and submissive)

Because some of these proposed laws and regulations would mean that the vast majority of sexually active adults are transformed overnight into serial rapists?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
To give the OP some credit, dumb rear end tumblrites present their pointless stuff as some kind of radical/revolutionary social stance. Whether it actually is or not is another issue - if I say I'm a punk band, but it's just me making fart noises, does that count? I don't think so. Not that I really enjoy the individualist/de-universalizing direction of the post-modern left, but that's another debate for another thread.

But I mean, worrying about social issues in the future is being a little premature - there are plenty of racial/nationalist stuff out there now, women still aren't getting paid the same as men and they're generally not seen as leadership material, even when compared to an equally qualified man. The social battles of the past 100 years haven't ended, they've simply changed form from fighting de-jure/explicit bigotry to de-facto/hidden/implicit bigotry. The form of future social issues after the currently lot are going to depend on how technology and society is structured then, not now. If you can accurately predict that, then congratulations, no one else can. It's easy to fall into the simplistic trap of thinking that the future is the present extended outwards ala that smbc cartoon - ' marrying a robot' is funny, but ultimately still projects current racial/sexual conflicts out, with appropriate sci-fi substitutions.

Whatever happens, I'm sure love will win out over hate. But you'll be dead by then, so there's no reason to care.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

rudatron posted:

Not that I really enjoy the individualist/de-universalizing direction of the post-modern left, but that's another debate for another thread.

Actually, I'd read that thread.

rudatron posted:

It's easy to fall into the simplistic trap of thinking that the future is the present extended outwards ala that smbc cartoon - ' marrying a robot' is funny, but ultimately still projects current racial/sexual conflicts out, with appropriate sci-fi substitutions.

Yeah, this is what I was fascinated by as well. It reminds me of the "Anthropormorphic Problem" in Sphere. They posit that all of our conceptualizations of alien lifeforms have been incorrectly biased by our human perspective, having our biological foundations, human values, cultural framing, forms of communication and understanding projected onto them by us. And that real alien lifeforms would be, due to divergence in evolution, so abstract to us that they would be essentially Lovecraftian. Not only would we have no hope of ever having meaningful communication with them, we might not even be able to exist in the same relative space without involuntarily destroying one another.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 10, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think this has way more to do with intrrnet echo chamber politics than anything with the left itself. There's no need to moderate a position on the internet so everything gets taken to its maximal conclusion from libertarianism to social justice.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
And those echo chambers make it seem like they carry more cultural clout than they actually do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The future will be the continued cessation of population from whites to other minorities (particularly Hispanics*). Contrary to popular belief, racism hasn't actually been "solved", it's just been relegated to an out of sight area. What changing demographics will allow is those issues to be brought to the forefront, and (hopefully) dealt with. This will be an incredibly gradual process though, so it might not even end by the time I grow old and die.

The other major issue is the topic of gender. What needs to happen (and what is naturally occurring in many areas) is a normalization of genders in various areas. Historically, women were segregated from men everywhere from the workplace to social areas. The former issue is primarily one of economics (eg, women are ghettoized in low paying jobs while high paying jobs (like programmers) are utterly male dominated), while the latter is the softer "social issue" that you're complaining about.

For an example of the latter, take the internet: a common phrase a decade ago is that the internet is where "men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents". While the joke is on the final statement, there is a normalization of the idea that any woman on the internet was secretly a man. This evolved into such things as the "trap" meme, where someone would post pictures of an attractive woman, and would then surprise people by showing them that the woman was a trans-woman.

Today, while pockets of those subcultures still exist (SA is an example, although it's less derogatory than other pockets) the internet is much more gender balanced; there are even pockets of female dominated websites! Tumblr (the go-to example) is actually around 60%-65% women, and while that isn't the highest gender imbalance, it lends credence to the theory that the reaction against that website is at least partially based on the gender of people encountered there.

To summarize the past few paragraphs, we're going to see a normalization of gender ratios in social spaces (particularly the internet) as time goes on. As this goes on, there will be conflict by the men that formerly dominated those social spaces, and this will likely continue until they lose their social relevance (i.e., they become old and Freeper-esqe). During and after this, there may be a merging and swapping of traditional gender roles and things of that nature. On the economics side, there is a push for normalization of gender ratios in workplaces, but it is stymied due to various factors. I can talk about those more, but I was mainly focused on the softer side since that's what the OP is about.

*"Well we'll just consider Hispanics white" is not a viable tactic, no matter how much you may like to repeat that meme. It didn't work in the 1920s when Hispanics were actively trying to be integrated into the white community and it's not going to work now. It especially won't work for any Hispanics that don't pass the paper bag test (which spoiler: is the vast majority of them). Don't even try to mention it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

computer parts posted:

To summarize the past few paragraphs, we're going to see a normalization of gender ratios in social spaces (particularly the internet) as time goes on.

Hasn't this already happened internet-wide, or do you mean greater intermingling instead of the genders segregating themselves?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's worth taking a look at Yale right now, where a certain segment of the students are freaking out about literally nothing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

-Troika- posted:

It's worth taking a look at Yale right now, where a certain segment of the students are freaking out about literally nothing.

Which of the 'nothings' are you talking about? The costumes or the white only parties? I'm guessing it's probably not the latter.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

Which of the 'nothings' are you talking about? The costumes or the white only parties? I'm guessing it's probably not the latter.

The costume thing, of course.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It's not even the costumes; it's an incredibly intolerable, inflammatory email from a professor that included such racist hate speech as
"I don’t wish to trivialize genuine concerns about cultural and personal representation, and other challenges to our lived experience in a plural community. I know that many decent people have proposed guidelines on Halloween costumes from a spirit of avoiding hurt and offense. I laud those goals, in theory, as most of us do. But in practice, I wonder if we should reflect more transparently, as a community, on the consequences of an institutional (which is to say: bureaucratic and administrative) exercise of implied control over college students.

I wonder, and I am not trying to be provocative: Is there no room anymore for a child or young person to be a little bit obnoxious... a little bit inappropriate or provocative or, yes, offensive? American universities were once a safe space not only for maturation but also for a certain regressive, or even transgressive, experience; increasingly, it seems, they have become places of censure and prohibition. And the censure and prohibition come from above, not from yourselves! Are we all okay with this transfer of power? Have we lost faith in young people's capacity—in your capacity ­ to exercise self­censure, through social norming, and also in your capacity to ignore or reject things that trouble you?"

Obviously, the students reacted properly to such a vile, hateful message, by demanding that the professor be fired, calling her "disgusting," and spitting on other students who took her up on her invitation to discuss these issues over dinner. They also correctly identified the evil race traitors in their midst who broke bread with this succubus and yelled "traitor" at them as they left the dinner.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

rudatron posted:

if I say I'm a punk band, but it's just me making fart noises, does that count? I don't think so.
Tbh that would be punk as all hell.

Also OP it seems like "well I'm really super liberal but maybe [looming social issue] is a bridge too far, you know what I mean?" has been a common refrain among people who don't want to perceive themselves as being on the wrong side of history. Plenty of people thought they could be liberal without believing in womens' suffrage or racial equality or gay marriage, but they were wrong. What makes this current/near future moment different?

T. Bombastus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 10, 2015

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

What is wrong with saying "When you escalate sexual interaction, you've got to be sure it's consensual"? In the second example, what is wrong with a person who can't prove consent being prosecuted?

The second example / your second sentence highlights the problems of mediating a dispute of the kind described by the first sentence.

It is fairly easy for anyone to make sure that when they escalate sexual interaction, it's done consensually. That shouldn't really be a controversial position (I am aware that some people criticize it, though). But it is considerably more difficult (not to mention, disruptive to sex) to create evidence that your sexual interactions have all been consensual. For most people's sexual encounters, the only 'evidence' they have that the interaction was consensual is that the person they had the interaction with would agree that it was consensual.

When the dispute is that one person says it was consensual and another person says it wasn't, you don't really have anything to go with. In an 'innocent until proven guilty' system of the law, this is unfair to victims. But reversing it makes it unfair to the accused. And there isn't a good middle ground.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think almost all of unusual features of modern social movements boil down to the how modern media works and how the Internet is used by both progressive groups and their detractors. Lowtax used to talk about this years ago; the internet allows marginalized groups to organize more efficiently than at any prior point in human history. This organizational ability combines with an infotainment orientated mass-media to create an effect where the most extreme and shrill individuals from any given social movement group automatically become the representative for a multitude of probably more reasonable individuals. This is turn creates cognitive dissonance for people where they want to dissociate from a positive movement that they'd typically support because of the extreme personalities involved.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Salt Fish posted:

I think almost all of unusual features of modern social movements boil down to the how modern media works and how the Internet is used by both progressive groups and their detractors. Lowtax used to talk about this years ago; the internet allows marginalized groups to organize more efficiently than at any prior point in human history. This organizational ability combines with an infotainment orientated mass-media to create an effect where the most extreme and shrill individuals from any given social movement group automatically become the representative for a multitude of probably more reasonable individuals. This is turn creates cognitive dissonance for people where they want to dissociate from a positive movement that they'd typically support because of the extreme personalities involved.

This is all correct but it has one further consequence you missed: as a result of this amplification of the most extreme, young people who believe in the cause in question see these extremists as models for tactics and beliefs. They feel that in order to be a member in good standing of the group they must share all of the person's extremism. Some are disenchanted but some embrace the crazy, that's how you get young progressives shouting down the media like brownshirts without apparent irony.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

You have still failed to answer a very simple question. What is wrong with saying "When you escalate sexual interaction, you've got to be sure it's consensual"?

While the government has tried placing the burden on the accused via Title IX (which has led to a string of widely publicized shitshows at assorted college campuses across the country), the courts generally have not been terribly sympathic to the view that we should punish people merely for being accused of rape.

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

-Troika- posted:

While the government has tried placing the burden on the accused via Title IX (which has led to a string of widely publicized shitshows at assorted college campuses across the country), the courts generally have not been terribly sympathic to the view that we should punish people merely for being accused of rape.

What does that have to do with anything he said? Do you have any moral objections, or are you a kind of inhuman monster that only concerns yourself with what The Law says?

• Locked thread