Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

Umm. Hyundai Motor Company was founded in 1967 and first came to the U.S. in 1986 with the Hyundai Excel.
Here's a black and white picture of one from Car & Driver.
Images and review at:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hyundai-excel-gl-archived-road-test

I am humbled, and you are exactly right. I'd forgotten about the glorious Excel!

Love,
Vitalis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So, are there any cars that do not have a glaring defect that may or may not kill you or cripple you with a huge repair bill?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Maybe a schwinn traveler?

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Never mind you guys, I bought a 2013 Hyundai Sonata for $12000 and by "bought" I mean financed through the bank. It had 60k.

Did I make a bad decision and should I feel bad?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

yes

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

YES

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Seriously do you live in the US because if so most states have a 24 hour cooloff period where you can renege and you should totally loving renege.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yea u hosed up you're supposed to buy a Hyundai brand new if at all

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well for that price you could get a new Hyundai and their warranty, which is the only reason to buy a Hyundai.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

You should feel very bad by the way. Your mother is shaking her head and your dad needs to have a talk with you about purchasing decisions and fiscal responsibility.

You bought a used car from a dealer, for shame.

This but unironically

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 11, 2015

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You should feel very bad by the way. Your mother is shaking her head and your dad needs to have a talk with you about purchasing decisions and fiscal responsibility.

You bought a used car from a dealer, for shame.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Yes.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
But the Kelly blue book says that I paid a fair price.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Geirskogul posted:

Well for that price you could get a new Hyundai and their warranty, which is the only reason to buy a Hyundai.

It's ten years or 100k miles pretty sure so he has 40k more miles of warranty and the car is actually really nice as a daily driver. Instead of buying some older Honda which is probably a loose gently caress of a car since everyone drives those things into the ground. Really if he's going to spend several hours of his life somewhere every week it might as well be somewhere not covered in layers of dirt and snot from the previous five owners like a 2005 Honda would be.

Well done op you bought a car that doesn't feel outdated the moment you bought it. It's an amazing feeling.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

starry skies above posted:

But the Kelly blue book says that I paid a fair price.

Wait are you serious? Not about the price, I mean, but about believing KBB?

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Geirskogul posted:

Wait are you serious? Not about the price, I mean, but about believing KBB?

Is Truecar.com better?

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

it really doesnt matter what car you get if you dont know how to drive or care about real ones

now the op has a potato on wheels like every other bitchboi

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Go to Craigslist/Kijiji/Gumtree/Your equivalent. Do a search for that model and year of car. Mentally average out the top 20 "By owner" results (ignoring any postings that mention "invested" or that don't have the original wheels or paint on the car), then add $1000 (for cars less than 5 years old). Compare this to the "By Dealer" results, and obtain the number halfway between the two.

This is usually an actual, fair price to walk into a dealer with.

Bacon Hat posted:

it really doesnt matter what car you get if you dont know how to drive or care about real ones

now the op has a potato on wheels like every other bitchboi

Kinda this is the reason we're all saying "Yes," though.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 11, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geirskogul posted:

Go to Craigslist/Kijiji/Gumtree/Your equivalent. Do a search for that model and year of car. Mentally average out the top 20 "By owner" results (ignoring any postings that mention "invested" or that don't have the original wheels or paint on the car), then add $1000 (for cars less than 5 years old). Compare this to the "By Dealer" results, and obtain the number halfway between the two.

This is usually an actual, fair price to walk into a dealer with.

So what's the fair price for his new car? That's a lot of steps.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

there was a really good jalop a few months ago about never giving people that dont care car buying advice. there is a good 95% chance they will outright ignore you or just buy what whatever their family, dealer or the tv tells them they want

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The price is fair enough, but the car is just old enough to not really be mentally worth that much (for a potatocar), but not old enough to be interesting or desirable. Halfway through a warranty (if the warranty transfers; Hyundai can be super picky about honoring it if you do things like miss documenting an oil change/get it done at a random shop they randomly don't like), nearing its first big service, and full of unknowns. And seriously, what I posted takes literally 5 minutes to do, and if you're buying a car, that's not a lot of time at all.

Bacon Hat posted:

there was a really good jalop a few months ago about never giving people that dont care car buying advice. here is a good example of how they will outright ignore you or just buy what whatever their family, dealer or the tv tells them they want

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Darth123123 posted:

So what's the fair price for his new car? That's a lot of steps.

About 10 grand, depending on options. Assuming its the basic model in outstanding condition.

This took 30 seconds on Edmund's by the way.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

About 10 grand, depending on options. Assuming its the basic model in outstanding condition.

This took 30 seconds on Edmund's by the way.

Why is that site better than kbb? Not being an rear end, just curious. I have to buy my son a car next year. He wants a Silverado lol.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Because it's based on actual sales and real-life depriciation, not the magical fantasy land rear end-numbers that the KBB people use. I mean, even a broken clock is right twice a day etc etc, but 99% of the time KBB is either waaaaaaay too high or...way too high.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The funniest part about kbb vs Edmund's is that people who know cars and take care of theirs usually sell their cars for something approaching the Edmund's value (because Edmund's is based on real data) but the dispshit sellers that don't know cars (this includes dealers by the way, who are almost uniformly uninformed and have no idea about their product) will refuse to sell for less than blue book.

So find someone who is willing to sell for around the Edmund's value and you'll usually end up with a vehicle that has been well taken care of.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
what kind of car are u getting op? Me, I drive a 2005 mustnag

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
In all sincerity I appreciate the advice I got in this thread. Even if I didn't ultimately follow it it's still good that I came across it and I may in turn pass it down to others. Sharing knowledge is good.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

In all sincerity I appreciate the advice I got in this thread. Even if I didn't ultimately follow it it's still good that I came across it and I may in turn pass it down to others. Sharing knowledge is good.

Thanks for all this advice I completely ignored! I'll be sure to come back and complain in six months when something goes horribly wrong on my overpriced used hyundai that has too many miles on it for a 2-3 year old used car, ignore your advice on how to fix it myself, and whine about getting reamed by a dealership for $3k in repairs I could have done myself for $500 or had a decent shop do for $1500

Fixed that for you. I don't know why I'm writing this, since I know you won't listen, but;

Seriously, if you can, take the car back. That money almost buys a brand new Accent, and yes while it's a little smaller you'd be far better off in a brand new Accent than a Sonata that's done 60k miles in two years, especially since you're roughly 5k to 10k miles from having to replace the timing belt and water pump which is a $1k+ service ($3k if you're dumb enough to take it to the dealership).

You have paid about $3k too much for that car, which is 25% of the entire purchase price.
Next time you want car advice, come post in the AI car advice thread, then perhaps consider actually taking our advice.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 12, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Is Truecar.com better?

Truecar and KBB are ran by sending out questionnaires to dealers and asking them how much they sell / have paid for used cars and then printed. That's it, not an honest value of a car, just how much they can make people pay for it

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Booblord Zagats posted:

That's it, not an honest value of a car, just how much they can trick OP into paying for it

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Booblord Zagats posted:

Truecar and KBB are ran by sending out questionnaires to dealers and asking them how much they sell / have paid for used cars and then printed. That's it, not an honest value of a car, just how much they can make people pay for it

Quote?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

literally a fish posted:

Fixed that for you. I don't know why I'm writing this, since I know you won't listen, but;

Seriously, if you can, take the car back. That money almost buys a brand new Accent, and yes while it's a little smaller you'd be far better off in a brand new Accent than a Sonata that's done 60k miles in two years, especially since you're roughly 5k to 10k miles from having to replace the timing belt and water pump which is a $1k+ service ($3k if you're dumb enough to take it to the dealership).

You have paid about $3k too much for that car, which is 25% of the entire purchase price.
Next time you want car advice, come post in the AI car advice thread, then perhaps consider actually taking our advice.

This seems Reasonable. Especially the AI part. Dude was having fun I suspect.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
poo poo, I never thought about the 60k in two (three, tops) years.

That car has been ridden hard.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I do a lot of new-hire vetting for some upscale dealerships in AZ, NM and NV. Also a good friend of mine from high school runs a Ford dealership. When I went to buy my car last October, several of them gave me the exact same advice on not taking KBB/True car values as gospel, one of them showed me his form to report sales numbers to give them regional calibration on the zip-code

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Take our (AI's) word for it. I can't show you a quote but this is pretty basic "car guy" knowledge. Note that some people will consider themselves car guys because they buy nice new cars at the dealer and have the dealer do all the service but I mean actual car guys, the kind that own multiple used cars and buy and sell them for fun.

Edmunds = go
KBB = no

Geirskogul posted:

poo poo, I never thought about the 60k in two (three, tops) years.

That car has been ridden hard.

Especially given the warranty. Beat the poo poo out of it, then trade it in on a new one is probably the mentality of the first owner. "Hey, it's under warranty!"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Take our (AI's) word for it. I can't show you a quote but this is pretty basic "car guy" knowledge. Note that some people will consider themselves car guys because they buy nice new cars at the dealer and have the dealer do all the service but I mean actual car guys, the kind that own multiple used cars and buy and sell them for fun.

Edmunds = go
KBB = no

Especially given the warranty. Beat the poo poo out of it, then trade it in on a new one is probably the mentality of the first owner. "Hey, it's under warranty!"

Ok? But where is the funding for Each? Kbb seems manufacturer ? Edmunds?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It is privately held. They have been publishing automotive information booklets since the 60s and now provide info via their website. It appears to be a family business.

Edmunds isn't the gospel either, but it should be your first stop. Get an idea of a fair price from them, then cruise craigslist (by owner! not dealer) and ebay motors to get a feel for how prices are in your area. You'll usually notice that cars listed for a price close to what edmunds gives you sell pretty quickly, whereas ads asking "blue book" will often stick around for a month or more. That should tell you something. Some vehicles, like the Toyota Tacoma in mountain states, will usually go for more than the edmunds price, but it's definitely the place to start and has been accurate for me 90% of the time. KBB is more or less a dealer scam to make it seem like they aren't loving you.

It seems like truecar is a good resource for new car buying as it gives you info about what other folks have paid in your area, but I've never used it and thus cannot vouch for it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

It is privately held. They have been publishing automotive information booklets since the 60s and now provide info via their website. It appears to be a family business.

Edmunds isn't the gospel either, but it should be your first stop. Get an idea of a fair price from them, then cruise craigslist (by owner! not dealer) and ebay motors to get a feel for how prices are in your area. You'll usually notice that cars listed for a price close to what edmunds gives you sell pretty quickly, whereas ads asking "blue book" will often stick around for a month or more. That should tell you something. Some vehicles, like the Toyota Tacoma in mountain states, will usually go for more than the edmunds price, but it's definitely the place to start and has been accurate for me 90% of the time. KBB is more or less a dealer scam to make it seem like they aren't loving you.

It seems like truecar is a good resource for new car buying as it gives you info about what other folks have paid in your area, but I've never used it and thus cannot vouch for it.

Tyvm

• Locked thread