Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Save that fuckin bullet i wanna see that goddamn bullet make it to the very end of this lp !!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's a bullet not a garden gnome or snowman piece

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Save Your Bullet

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

RareAcumen posted:

Rhys is a nerd and a chump who will never hit a shot without a minigame teaching him how to gun first. And even then he's not going to pull off any shots unless conditions are perfect anyway.

Save the bullet he's not gonna make the shot if we do shoot.

Rhys isn't the one with the gun. Fiona may not like guns but she's a Pandoran native so I'd be real surprised if she isn't any good with them.

Oh and unrelated, Tector Hodunk was part of a huge sidequest chain in Borderlands 2 in which you incite a clan war between the Hodunks and the Zafords. You play both sides and eventually you get to pick which one you want wiped out. Since Tector is here, that means that canonically it was the Zafords who were killed. Which makes sense since while the Zafords were probably the more friendly clan, killing them netted you a chance at a MUCH better gun.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

Since Tector is here, that means that canonically it was the Zafords who were killed.

Maybe the Vault Hunters just haven't gotten around to doing that sidequest yet. :colbert:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

Maybe the Vault Hunters just haven't gotten around to doing that sidequest yet. :colbert:

:colbert: Leave no sidequest undone.

Except for that defend the flag one in Thousand Cuts. gently caress that quest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Save the bullet. No need to antagonize August... yet.
I love how wads of banknotes have the telltale yellow light that serve for loot identification in the FPS games. I always thought loot recognition was part of Vault Hunter gear, but apparently any sufficient amount of money generates a pillar of light...

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 20, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Risk the shot. I'm firmly of the belief that Telltale/Quantic Dream games should be played like cheesy TV shows. August may be a normal guy for Pandora, but shooting people makes for good TV.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Life is strange has teached me one thing:
Always take the shot!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

August is a chump. He got fooled by a model of something that may possibly have been worth a billion bucks and didn't even bother to check it was the real deal. Dude is clearly not as competent as he'd like to think, let's Save the Bullet there's likely much bigger fish to fry.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Shoot her!

Him.

I mean him. Shoot him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think you're confused. It's August that we have in our sights, not Rhys.

Yeah, I assumed the previous choice was going to lead to murder and then a shootout. I wasn't expecting a different character to show up.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

CuwiKhons posted:

:colbert: Leave no sidequest undone.

Except for that defend the flag one in Thousand Cuts. gently caress that quest.

I dunno, I always found that one pretty simple, though I usually play as the Goddess herself, Maya.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Judge Tesla posted:

I dunno, I always found that one pretty simple, though I usually play as the Goddess herself, Maya.
That one gets much, much easier if you get a buddy willing to die for a good cause. drat, now I want to play Borderlands 2 again.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Save the bullet. August has the accuracy of a Stormtrooper so I don't think we'll have to worry about him all that much. :v:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Save the bullet. Using disposable items in a videogame confuse and scare me.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sam Faust posted:

Save the bullet. Using disposable items in a videogame confuse and scare me.

wait until we pick up a couple of mega elixirs

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

The last time I tried to do that quest I was playing as Maya but I was playing with a friend who was going through the game for the first time with me (he was playing Gaige) and we got stomped. I blame him for not understanding Anarchy (and myself for not knowing how to play Maya, I prefer Zer0) :v:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

CuwiKhons posted:

The last time I tried to do that quest I was playing as Maya but I was playing with a friend who was going through the game for the first time with me (he was playing Gaige) and we got stomped. I blame him for not understanding Anarchy (and myself for not knowing how to play Maya, I prefer Zer0) :v:

Maya's super simple, though!

Find the biggest fucker in the mob, tap Q, then -and this is the important bit- lay into that motherfucker with everything you've got.

Also, Cataclysm. That tree is the poo poo.

Anyway, back on topic: Save it. This is still Borderlands. You're in midair, using a pistol, and he's farther than about six inches from you. You aren't going to hit him.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I assumed the previous choice was going to lead to murder and then a shootout. I wasn't expecting a different character to show up.

I will openly admit that the blow his mind/break his heart choice really means nothing, but I want to end as many videos as I can on a choice you guys might find interesting! :shobon:

There's a lot of things I'm taking into consideration for where a video ends. Like I've got a big list of choices that could be left up to you guys and I'm trying to balance it between "video is a good length" and "choice is interesting/funny". I left off on that mind/heart because there wasn't really any other big choice around the same time stamp, and also because I thought it would be funny to see people argue over what those options might actually cause us to do.

anyway that's just a little insight into my work process in case anyone is miffed I egged you guys on into deciding how you want a 30-second joke to play out

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It was a good cliffhanger, also SHOOT

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Kaubocks posted:

I will openly admit that the blow his mind/break his heart choice really means nothing, but I want to end as many videos as I can on a choice you guys might find interesting! :shobon:

There's a lot of things I'm taking into consideration for where a video ends. Like I've got a big list of choices that could be left up to you guys and I'm trying to balance it between "video is a good length" and "choice is interesting/funny". I left off on that mind/heart because there wasn't really any other big choice around the same time stamp, and also because I thought it would be funny to see people argue over what those options might actually cause us to do.

anyway that's just a little insight into my work process in case anyone is miffed I egged you guys on into deciding how you want a 30-second joke to play out

I figured it was a non-choice, but I thought the joke was that the dude ended up dead with no head/heart.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I think we need to Save the Bullet. You know how things go. There's going to be a far more dramatic time and place to use it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sam Faust posted:

I figured it was a non-choice, but I thought the joke was that the dude ended up dead with no head/heart.
There's actually quite a lot of non-choices in this one but it really doesn't detract from the story too much. I think Telltale pretty much stopped giving the player the option to really gently caress up after Walking Dead 1.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Definitely Save the Bullet. You never know when you need to make an impossibly tricky shot to save the day. (I haven't played this yet, so I'm not making any sly hints. It just seems like something that will have to happen at some point.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Oh yeah, don't worry about it. I assumed it'd probably be a murder thing since, we just went through a whole thing with a bunch of raiders with the loader bot after all so I thought that's what this was leading up to. And yeah, considering how the choice went to then showing how Rhys and Fiona ended up kidnapped I assumed that it didn't really matter that much. What I'm really curious about are the other parts when it's Fiona's turn to talk. Would it cut out parts of the scene if you'd just said The Vault Hunter showed up/The Psycho Ganglord banged in/The Vault Key shattered instead of It's...Complicated?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nope. Another non-choice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Nope. Another non-choice.

Huh, alright.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Oh yeah, don't worry about it. I assumed it'd probably be a murder thing since, we just went through a whole thing with a bunch of raiders with the loader bot after all so I thought that's what this was leading up to. And yeah, considering how the choice went to then showing how Rhys and Fiona ended up kidnapped I assumed that it didn't really matter that much. What I'm really curious about are the other parts when it's Fiona's turn to talk. Would it cut out parts of the scene if you'd just said The Vault Hunter showed up/The Psycho Ganglord banged in/The Vault Key shattered instead of It's...Complicated?

I picked "The Vault Hunter showed up" and it showed me a brief cutscene of Zer0 slicing through the billboard and leaping in at the camera, at which point Rhys interjects with pretty much the same thing he said to Fiona in Kaubocks' version and she backtracks. Presumably the other choices would also show a brief cutscene and then do the same thing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

All the options are correct. If you pick "the vault hunter showed up", for example, it'll cut to Rhys and August tug-of-warring for the key and then Zer0 will dramatically Zorro his way into the room. Not exactly how it turns out that happened, obviously.

I went with "it's complicated" because it keeps everything more of a surprise, and then when Felix asks what's going on I can pick "it's complicated" again which I feel like is just really nice symmetry! :buddy:

It's no secret that Telltale games never really offer you HUGE, SWEEPING changes, but you'd actually be surprised at what it does let you get away with. I beat the game and was genuinely floored that I could have had a character who died in my playthrough survive because I had gotten so used to Telltale's non choices. There's also a number of choices that have an impact on how the ending can play out.

If there's one thing I worry about, it's that I hope a sentiment of "these choices don't actually matter" doesn't wash over the thread. Sure, there's going to be quite a few choices I give you guys that, in the grand scheme of things, really impact nothing. But it gives the playthrough a bit of flavour, no? I dunno I just hope that people don't get too down on it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, experiment time.

Shoot.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The biggest point of a Telltale games is its setpieces, oddly enough. We just saw one here. In TWD, they were all gut-wrenching decisions based on loss. In TWAU, they were all decisions that let you piece together the story in different ways. In this game, they are Borderlands-level action setpieces full of 'HOLY poo poo THAT'S AWESOME' and humor. It's usually a moment of laughing so hard because you can't believe that just happened.

So really, voting is more of a way for the thread to contextualize the decisions made and craft their own democratic version of the events portrayed by two unreliable narrators as crazy poo poo actually happens that they aren't embellishing too much to fluff up their own involvement.

Which is why I'm voting to save the bullet

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Really the choices in Telltale games are more of a way to personalize your experience. They don't really affect much most of the time, but they do change small details, which is the neat part. Though they definitely overemphasized how important they were in TWD.

Anyways. shoot him.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
SAVE THE BULLET!

Maybe, just maybe, we can kill Vasquez with it!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Also having to account for every possible change would make each episode exponentially larger than the last with potential content, making it a nightmare for development time. The only time you'll see something like that is in text adventures.

She's jumping and twisting backwards with a gun strapped to her forearm instead of being able to freely move it with her wrist. The physics just aren't in her favor, which, for a genre-aware series like Borderlands, means the shot will land. Take the shot.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fire Storm posted:

SAVE THE BULLET!

Maybe, just maybe, we can kill Vasquez with it!

I like the cut of your jib

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"Fiona, what's happening?"
"Well, our perfectly serviceable heist story just had a head on collision with someone else's Borderlands game."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

If there's one thing I worry about, it's that I hope a sentiment of "these choices don't actually matter" doesn't wash over the thread. Sure, there's going to be quite a few choices I give you guys that, in the grand scheme of things, really impact nothing. But it gives the playthrough a bit of flavour, no? I dunno I just hope that people don't get too down on it.
I hear you and shall stop bitching about non-choices immediately.

JT Jag posted:

"Fiona, what's happening?"
"Well, our perfectly serviceable heist story just had a head on collision with someone else's Borderlands game."
This is a very interesting sentiment that could be worth keeping in mind as we run into some of the other setpieces and Vault Hunters (I mean come on, that can't be a spoiler). Tales does more than a few surprise twists on things "should" work if you're familiar with the shooter games. My favorite example - the Borderlands games tend to have really lovely and boring final battles. But that's a long, long way off...

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I think my favorite thing about both of the main characters is that neither Fiona nor Rhys is a typical Borderlands protagonist - specifically that both of them prefer nonviolent solutions to their problems.

Hyperion is a dog eat dog eat radioactive dog world and the corporate culture on Helios would be perfectly fine with Rhys flat out murdering Vasquez in order to steal his job. But that's not his plan. Instead he goes through the much more convoluted solution of stealing ten million dollars in order to steal a vault key out from under Vasquez's nose, just to humiliate him.

Fiona and Sasha make their living as grifters rather than bandits and Felix outright states that she's always better at talking her way out of a situation than shooting her way out. And the mere fact that she's survived to adulthood on Pandora shows that she must be drat good at it.

It's just a completely different atmosphere and playstyle, even while still being very identifiably Borderlands in nature.

And as far as choices go, there are definitely some choices that really do matter. Some of them aren't even the choices that you'd think - sometimes it's as a big as choosing whether or not to shoot somebody, sometimes it's the way you treat your friends, and sometimes it's as small as an incidental line of dialogue said to somebody who is on screen for like 2 minutes total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

It's no secret that Telltale games never really offer you HUGE, SWEEPING changes, but you'd actually be surprised at what it does let you get away with. I beat the game and was genuinely floored that I could have had a character who died in my playthrough survive because I had gotten so used to Telltale's non choices. There's also a number of choices that have an impact on how the ending can play out.

The more worrying thing that could happen is that your choices do matter... But then it doesn't really matter enough. Spoilers for the Walking Dead Season 2 Remember how Sarah could be saved if you managed to motivate her enough to power through her panic attack/ episode in the trailer home? And then how she just gets killed off two scenes later no matter what you do? That's the kind of thing I'm worried about happening. Or worse, you can save people but then they basically just end up floating around in the background with like six lines before they're killed by something else with no way to avoid it. Like Alvin.

Minor flavor stuff like how a conversation plays out is fine. It's big stuff that really annoys people.

• Locked thread