Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Max literally has a blank slate. Whoa.

I say take the shot because we need something to submit to that contest and that is some high-stakes drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the only appropriate entry for the photo contest is the skater getting doinked in the balls :colbert:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

please go back in time and get a photo of the exact moment the skater got doinked in the balls

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Take the shot. We're a photographer, not goddamn spider hyphen woman.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Honestly, this decision out of everything I've seen of this game is the worst, because it both goes against the established mechanics of our time travel powers (taking photos and keeping objects) and, like, the options aren't mutually exclusive in the slightest? Like, the absolute best way I can think of to intervene would be to take a picture and then go up to rear end in a top hat Madhole and say "Yo I just snapped a pic of you fuckin' bullying a student, step the gently caress back." I get what the game is trying to do, with a short term advantage (saving Kate from this single act of bullying) versus a long term advantage (blackmail the rear end in a top hat) but it's executed super, super poorly

That said, if you don't vote to help Kate you are history's greatest monster

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
I think intervening is the best choice since I have no idea what we'd do with the photo. The principal has already proven to be a shitheel, so if we showed him the photo, he'd probably tear it up once he got back in his office. Maybe the photo teach would believe us, but in my experience, higher ups don't really take the word of teachers any more seriously than students.

As for high school drama stories, I could fill a book with them. I think the best one was this kid I had Spanish class with freak out over people joking that no one wanted to date him because he had a small penis, so he began wrestling off his pants to prove his, er, manliness. He had gotten the button undone and the zipper down before our Spanish teacher came back and gave him the verbal beating of his life.

It's important to note that for whatever reason, he had decided to go commando that day. I didn't see anything, being on the other side of the classroom, but it was wild. It actually led to a different incident where I had to hold back the boyfriend of the girl who got partially flashed by the kid, so he wouldn't kill him in his berserker rage. Of course, putting two berserker kids against each other is never really a good idea. We almost broke a window and put a crack in one of hallway beams.

LaCelestina
Sep 28, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Lisa the plant. That's gonna have consequences! We have a plant at work, but her name is Lulu.

"According to Victoria... oh." Ditto. Same reaction...

Ahem... INTERVENE!!! That guy is an arse. Also, I think Max has a really good reason NOT to intervene, but we're here to fight evil, and that guy is it for the section.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

General Ironicus posted:

Max literally has a blank slate. Whoa.

This is by far the best structural deconstructionism on how the player wants and needs to project themselves onto the player character.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Mr. Highway posted:

This is by far the best structural deconstructionism on how the player wants and needs to project themselves onto the player character.

My favorite thing is how Max thinks every choice she makes is the bad one. It's just so heartbreakingly teen.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Sounders FC is the soccer team. They have green and blue so they can share a stadium with the Seahawks.

I don't know what the highest-level hockey team is (no NHL), but that sort of looked like maybe Seattle U colors?

Also, they had better be screening The Goonies at that Totally 80's film festival.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
I think we should Intervene! Who are we going to show this photograph to, anyway? At least if we intervene then we'll make Kate feel better.

It is pretty lame that this choice sort of asks us to ignore things that the game has taught us, but at least it tries to make it clear what the decision is really about. Then again we've really only been able to keep the photo op photos, which I guess the game sort of considers being outside of the actual timeline? Maybe it's best to think of those more as achievements then actual photos.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the skater got doinked in the balls and that's canonical and there's nothing you can say to take that away from me

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

As annoying as Detective Dickass is, I think max is a little better equipped to deal with the heat than Kate is now. Take one for the team, Max, Kate could probably use the breathing room.

This game is cool by the way. Definitely nabbin it this winter steam sale. Or maybe sooner, so I can enjoy it and be a good enough judge of it to gift it to others.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Misandu posted:

It is pretty lame that this choice sort of asks us to ignore things that the game has taught us, but at least it tries to make it clear what the decision is really about. Then again we've really only been able to keep the photo op photos, which I guess the game sort of considers being outside of the actual timeline? Maybe it's best to think of those more as achievements then actual photos.

The only problem is that the first big thing we do with time travel is grab a hammer and take it back in time with us so we have those critical extra seconds to hit the alarm. That's pretty well established as being in-universe, not a mere contrivance for the sake of UI.

I'm really on the edge with this. Ignoring all the things I hate about this false decision point, swallowing my bile and just accepting the choice for what it is, I'd really LIKE to be the adult and gather tools to use later, but Kate REALLY needs a friend right now. Her life sucks far more than ours does. I'd love to be able to tell her that taking a photo will help down the line, but the only reason I suspect that's the case is because it's a game choice and OF COURSE the game is going to make you wish you took that photo later. Realistically, yeah. The principle isn't going to do poo poo, the police wouldn't care... the only thing that could really help might be the photo contest, and that won't help Kate so much as maybe help ourselves, and that's selfish. So I'll definitely vote to intervene. Kate needs whatever small victories she can get right now.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
This is the one choice in the game that really rings false. There are other choices later on where it's definitely out of character for Max to pick one side over the other, whereas here there's no real reason why Max couldn't choose "Both" or "Neither." Want to be a super-bro for Kate? Take the picture then intervene, or take the picture, rewind, then intervene. We've already established that things on Max's person stay when she rewinds. Think Max is too timid to do anything (which could be a valid read for her character at this point)? Rewind and back away before Kate sees you and gets pissed off.

Future episodes will do a better job of acknowledging Max's time travel powers when it comes to some of the major decisions, but this one just feels sloppy. I'm not sure they'd really sussed out the implications of rewinding time when it comes to making big decisions. Or maybe they just went with it to set up the ramifications down the road, to hell with the inconsistencies.

edit: I started thinking about the "photo then rewind" scenario more and decided it's best to just not think too much about object persistence on Max's rewind ability. It's just there, deal with it.

YorexTheMad fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 24, 2015

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Kate cannot catch a break! Intervening!

Panzer, I'm glad you're showing off all the posters and stuff on walls. There's actually so much window dressing to look at in this game, but don't have to.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
Intervene. Always rebel against authority. It is an integral part of Bein' A Teen. It even rhymes!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Who needs completion and long term planning when you can feel good in the interim! I say tell David off. Also, did anyone else use Max's SMS ring tone as their own? I love that little chime.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I voted to TAKE THE SHOT because I was suddenly overcome by the urge to be a dick, but intervening is clearly the right choice.

Based on what we've seen of her, it wouldn't be out of character for Max to stay in the background, but she has what it takes to step forward. Especially with time powers to boost her confidence.

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 24, 2015

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Intervene. The guard was being a bit.... too harsh to Kate, and he deserves to be told off for it.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Honestly, this decision out of everything I've seen of this game is the worst, because it both goes against the established mechanics of our time travel powers (taking photos and keeping objects) and, like, the options aren't mutually exclusive in the slightest? Like, the absolute best way I can think of to intervene would be to take a picture and then go up to rear end in a top hat Madhole and say "Yo I just snapped a pic of you fuckin' bullying a student, step the gently caress back." I get what the game is trying to do, with a short term advantage (saving Kate from this single act of bullying) versus a long term advantage (blackmail the rear end in a top hat) but it's executed super, super poorly

I do agree this is a pretty weak decision for the reasons you've stated. They are clearly trying to make an example very obvious short vs long term decision but failing in execution. If it helps, I find a lot of the wishy-washy decisions to be excusable due to Max being a confused teen who is bad at planning.

Kaubocks posted:

the skater got doinked in the balls and that's canonical and there's nothing you can say to take that away from me

:colbert: I deliberately did not rewind to keep the nut doinking canonical.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Panzer, I'm glad you're showing off all the posters and stuff on walls. There's actually so much window dressing to look at in this game, but don't have to.

Hooray! I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'm trying to strike a decent balance between slowly examining every single shirt in max's closet for an hour and sprinting past everything without looking at it. Hopefully I'm managing to catch most of the interesting stuff. :shobon: I really like the slow moments and the world building that's around if you look.

I also wanted to highlight @rumrusher on twitter who is doing a v cute fanart crossover between Life is Strange and Paradise, the very very first LP I ever guested in. You should follow them for cute fanart. :3:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Guest Starring:
The VORTEX Parasite Unit

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Danaru posted:

Guest Starring:
The VORTEX Parasite Unit

holy lmao slam dunks this into the fanart section

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

This LP reminded me that I needed to play this so I bought it and played through all the episodes and it's a really good game and now I can be mad when the thread or Panzer makes the wrong decision.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I think Kate has been bullied enough. Intervene.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I decided to start watching this because a good friend told me it will likely be winning some awards this year.

Sadly I am already annoyed at "cup o' tea" who the gently caress says that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Life is Strange is on sale for the Autumn Steam Sale, entire season's 14 bucks.

Now back to the ether I go~

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Waffleman_ posted:

Life is Strange is on sale for the Autumn Steam Sale, entire season's 14 bucks.

Now back to the ether I go~

It's a good sale and ya'll should consider purchasing this wonderful game! Also for some god drat reason as soon as you open the steam page for Life is Strange it has screenshots from the final episode immediately in your face, so uh, don't go lookin if you're trying to avoid spoilers.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just mash your credit card numbers without looking at the screen and press enter, it should be fine

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 25, 2015

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Hello I finally bought this wonderful game and in celebration I rushed through the first 15 minutes to make this gif for the thread

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's beautiful

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Hello I finally bought this wonderful game and in celebration I rushed through the first 15 minutes to make this gif for the thread

Video games are Art, thank u for this wonderful gift

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Max is slowly graduating from Time Idiot to Time rear end in a top hat. Balls being doinked eternally. Experiencing perfect revenge only to go back and erase it, keeping the memories but reaping the benefits of doing the right thing.

Well time to buy and play a video game. On the web!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I love that the drone sweeps overhead in just the right moment to film it

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Intervene, obviously. Bros before securitoes, and l the value of that photo is demonstratably less than the power of FRIENDSHIP.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HOLD ON TO THOSE STEAM DOLLARS!

Square has the entire season for TEN BUCKS.

Cheaper than Steam!

LaCelestina
Sep 28, 2015

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

I love that the drone sweeps overhead in just the right moment to film it

Hahaha, that is truly beautiful. :allears:

I don't have time to play the game, and this LP is enjoyable enough... ah, what the heck.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The hockey team in the Greater Seattle area is the Thunderbirds. You can find their HQ and stuff in the ShoWare Center in Kent, I think.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

LaCelestina posted:

Hahaha, that is truly beautiful. :allears:

I don't have time to play the game, and this LP is enjoyable enough... ah, what the heck.

The full season's about 15 hours long, if that matters. It's not an extremely long game. (Which is to its credit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's Majora's Mask and why is this like that?

• Locked thread