Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'm getting the distinct impression that David's initial portrayal as a total rear end in a top hat is going to be mitigated by mid or late game revelations, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Things are never quite so cut and dry in these games, especially with so many questions unanswered.

And I'm still very curious about whether or not we're not aware that Chloe is armed. Anyway, Stay Put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The nice thing about the game is the pretense that max is operating alongside the player with knowledge of the immediate outcomes of either choice - so it's not a choice of 'shoot or don't shoot' as much as 'appear to try to shoot, or don't' .

But I think the first outcome is most in line with max - she's separated Chloe from the gun, which she was never comfortable with in the first place. And while max has the advantage of being able to replay a minute or so of time, it's still probably for the best to not have yet another psychopath on our rear end.

Plus, it seems like by taking the gun, that's counted towards Chloe's credit, so... yay?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Guess you'll just have to do double alternate universe simultaneous playthrough for the rest of the LP!

Moo hoo ha ha

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Damnit people is Max is ever truly going to dunk that nerd she needs gains! Eggs and Bacon.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'm definitely more sympathetic towards David - for all the poo poo that Max and Chloe give him about invading privacy and putting cameras up everwhere, isn't that pretty much EXACTLY what Max has been doing the entire game? Literally pawing through everything belonging to anyone? Hell, he's the only adult that's doing anything at all about the fact that the Vortex club exists at all, the drug situation at Blackwell, and Rachel's disappearance. He's aware enough to suspect that there's more to all of them. Granted, he's not handling his investigation WELL, but he and Max actually share an agenda, he's just too damaged and Max is too influenced by Chloe for either of them to see it. The files on his computer seem at face value like a creepy thing for an adult to have, but he's the security guard, and there is a legitimate mystery afoot. He's not doing anything that Max wouldn't do, she just keeps her information in a journal with cute doodles, while he has his little info bunker in the garage.

He might not have the healthiest relationship with those close to him, but Joy isn't ignorant of his faults and he's shown that he's making an effort to better himself. There's certainly hope, and Joy knows that. Dogpiling on him immediately after he had to pull an all-nighter because Max and Chloe needed some trespassing bonding time is pretty unfair.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

KasaiAisu posted:

Oh christ if alt-max was the one pressuring alt-kate into suicide I don't know if I can handle it.

Also what the hell game! I was so happy when Max told Chloe about her time travel powers! It's exactly what a normal person would do! Then LiS just rips the rug out from under me, Max is keeping time travel a secret from alt-Chloe for no adequately explained reason! I think I'm too upset about this.

Also I like the whole "all your choices matter, except when they don't because you travel back in time about 5 minutes after the choice". I had a really tough time deciding whether to give the gun back to Chloe!

tl;dr this game is sweet and I can't stop being excited for the next episode

I don't know, I don't think the first thing I would bring up to my (newly?) disabled friend after having disappeared for however long is that hey, I'm doing super great PLUS I've got these badass time-travel powers! Oh, and your paralysis is one of the inadvertent results of my abuse of said powers, but at least your dad is alive? Best of intentions and all, but even given what Max was trying (and succeeding) to do, it seems like a pretty heavy load.

Since I only know of the game via the LP, I've got no idea if we'll be able to bounce between timelines, or if this is our new reality for good. If the former, our "new" friends could give us some valuable insights to take back with us. If the latter, then...we don't have much of an impetus to find Rachel, since her relationship to Chloe seemed like our modus operandi, and that no longer exists.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Nathan's Dad is the one with the hosed up kidnap-and-murder agenda, and Nathan is being pulled into it. Could anyone cross reference the dates of Kate's abduction and the letter where Nathan's dad says he isn't proud of him? Is there a chance that it was referring to the fact that Nathan might have let Kate go, rather than the grisly alternative?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
It was said earlier, but I think I would have preferred Jefferson without the personality shift. I don't mind a good mustache-twirl and monologue, but I think if he had maintained his relatively calm and affable affectation it would have been a great contrast with the nightmare that is the dark room, and would have been a great way to highlight a complete lack of empathy.

Also, what's the deal with the Tornado now? That still on the way? And ghost deer?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

DropsySufferer posted:

Are there any good non fantasy books that deal this same type of time travel issues we see in life is strange? I've always to read a really good book covering the subject but I've never heard anything of fantastic that would be a must read book before you die.

Again I'd love read a great book modern book on time travel, like what happens in life is strange. Just no D&D fantasy stuff.

I've also wondered why Samuel is in Max's Nightmare. He's basically the most harmless character and seemed out of place for that spot. Must just be nonsense like the message from William.

Might be verboten, but two mangas with really interesting takes on time travel spring to mind - 'all you need is kill', which was turned into the movie 'the edge of tomorrow' is pretty fun, and another one that gets really batshit but in a really interesting way was 'qualia the purple', which deals with all sorts of interesting quantum phenomena related to time travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
It seems as though one of the major forces in the game's plot is the immutability of time, or fate. Some people mentioned earlier that either of the game's final choices invalidate all the choices you've made through the game, but you could argue that the game (and the choices therein) up to that point exist to give greater context to the final choice. Having inevitability itself turn out be more or less be an antagonizing force is frustrating, and feels rather arbitrary, but I suppose it exists out of necessity to offset Max's abilities. Again, the reasoning and logic behind 'Chloe alive = catastrophe' is nebulous and insane, but some sort of rules that Max can't bend have to exist, I guess.

Even in the ending when we sacrifice the entire bay, by the game's own logic Chloe will be in a never-ending cycle of peril. Just wait until that peril manifests itself as a stroke or heart attack or any of another million things that can't be unwound, and it'll all be for nothing. Again, the necessity of Chloe's demise makes for decent drama, it's just a shame that the rules seem so arbitrarily slapped on to that one particular outcome.

• Locked thread