Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Tendales posted:

Sniiiiitch.

Also, Max has some surprising hand strength if she can tear up a polaroid like it was a post-it note. Those things were actually pretty tough.

Polaroids aren't so hard to rip, if and only if you've pre-nicked a slice into it. Can't you just imagine Max lying on her bed, staring at the photo and looking up at the ceiling, taking a pair of scissors and holding them over her photo, daring herself to cut it up but not being able to, starting to squeeze the handle, then stopping? Dramatic teenager poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Misandu posted:

It is pretty lame that this choice sort of asks us to ignore things that the game has taught us, but at least it tries to make it clear what the decision is really about. Then again we've really only been able to keep the photo op photos, which I guess the game sort of considers being outside of the actual timeline? Maybe it's best to think of those more as achievements then actual photos.

The only problem is that the first big thing we do with time travel is grab a hammer and take it back in time with us so we have those critical extra seconds to hit the alarm. That's pretty well established as being in-universe, not a mere contrivance for the sake of UI.

I'm really on the edge with this. Ignoring all the things I hate about this false decision point, swallowing my bile and just accepting the choice for what it is, I'd really LIKE to be the adult and gather tools to use later, but Kate REALLY needs a friend right now. Her life sucks far more than ours does. I'd love to be able to tell her that taking a photo will help down the line, but the only reason I suspect that's the case is because it's a game choice and OF COURSE the game is going to make you wish you took that photo later. Realistically, yeah. The principle isn't going to do poo poo, the police wouldn't care... the only thing that could really help might be the photo contest, and that won't help Kate so much as maybe help ourselves, and that's selfish. So I'll definitely vote to intervene. Kate needs whatever small victories she can get right now.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'd kinda like to see what happens if we Don't Hide at All, since someone above mentioned that this was a possibility. I mean, in the Straw Poll I voted to Intervene, but I'm curious... what happens if you stay out in the open as he busts into Chloe's room (complete rear end in a top hat move, by the way).

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

HenryEx posted:

Don't call yourself a white knight you loving prick, NOT EVEN IRONICALLY

Also i'm 98% sure he just smeared shoe polish onto his eye, his lips aren't even bruised

I don't know, Nathan looked like he was pummeling him pretty thoroughly. Dude is unhinged. That said, "white knight" is incredibly obnoxious. It'd be unforgivable if not for the fact that he did just take it to the face for us... and we actually DID need the help right then. It would be one thing if the help was unasked for and unneeded, but... see "unhinged" above.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
This is a tough one. She should absolutely go to the police, given that she was clearly drugged and sexually assaulted. But we've been shown again and again that authority doesn't believe people who don't have scads of money, and Nathan... that boy is REALLY unstable, and has a gun. Some proof would be nice... but on the other hand, Kate really needs support right now. I wish Max could combine some choices... support Kate, let her know we have her back and are going to personally investigate, as for at least a day to do so, and THEN go to the police. But since that's not an option... I don't know. I wonder if the principle will be more inclined to believe we're serious if we actually file a report on the kid? Furthermore... maybe the police will be more likely to believe us since we already reported to the principle?

You know what? gently caress it. We have time travel powers, which includes short range teleportation. If Nathan comes at us with the gun for this, we should be fine. Go To The Police.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Voting Do Not (try and fail to) Shoot. Chloe understands, and it'll help de-escalate whatever is going on between her and this dangerous jackass. De-escalation is good.

I'm also hoping that giving this rear end in a top hat a gun might be able to get him in trouble later. Maybe Chloe's terrible stepdad can be tipped off as to who stole his gun? Just speculating here, but it's the sort of thing I could imagine the game allowing.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Warren, if you don't know the answer, trying things randomly is not the solution. And even if it were, there are better RNGs than asking a random uninformed person that's passing by. Especially one that you have a huge dorky crush on.

Geeze dude... it'd be one thing if he asked her for help, after explaining what the end goal was supposed to be in the first place, but no. Just pick something at random, why don't you. Bah!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I think the rules demonstrated so far of Max's weird time travel abilities means that the pipe bomb stays having exploded in the alternate timeline, and was not brought to the current timeline. No paradox necessary. Remember, Max car bring items with her between timelines (a fact she all too frequently forgets in moments it would be really helpful :argh:), which also strongly implies that stuff doesn't jump back into her inventory if she uses them and then rewinds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
So, metagame thinking here. It seems pretty clear that the question of "who has a gun" is going to be very important in the upcoming future, probably episode 5. There are numerous "important" decisions that revolve around determining who gets to own a gun. But that said, the one decision that seems to come up again, and again, and again, is whether CHLOE has a gun. You get a decision in the Junkyard. Then, if you get the gun away from her there, you get a chance to change your mind when raiding Frank's trailer. Then, if you skip that, here's ANOTHER chance to give Chloe a gun.

When you have a bunch of decision points, all funneling towards one outcome (Chloe has a gun), it makes me think that Chloe having a gun is a SUPER bad idea, just because the game makes it so easy for her to have one. Again, and again.

Unfortunately, it's a little late to go back to Frank's RV and let him keep the gun. So now, this decision point, regarding "Does Chloe have a gun?", is moot. I'm betting that Nathan or Frank having a gun probably doesn't mean jack poo poo.

So, with that in mind, I'm guessing that the game designer's intended decision here was supposed to be, "Don't let Nathan get the full beating he needs to scare him off, but Chloe remains disarmed" or "Nathan gets beat up and scared off, but Chloe is rearmed". Narratively, I think it's bonkers to think that this would actually scare Nathan off, but think about it. Pretty much every decision so far has been mixed somehow. Something good, something bad. So in this decision, Nathan gets the gently caress beaten out of him, and Chloe gets a gun. Under the assumption that Chloe having a gun is bad news due to the funnel effect, that means Nathan getting the gently caress beaten out of him is supposed to be the GOOD thing, in terms of consequences.

Given that the bad thing of Chloe having a gun has ALREADY HAPPENED, I don't see how that can make things worse.

Unless this is a trap, and it's more a case of "vengeance is bad guys, REALLY" and everything about this particular choice is bad. But I can't remember any other choice in the game where every aspect of the choice was bad news...

• Locked thread