Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I loving love the thrift store. I can find all sorts of poo poo that smells like Grandma's house.

You ever find anything dope at the thrift store? Please share.

As for me, I went to a Goodwill on my birthday last year and found a Zarafina Tea Maker for $30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAmn1x8rX48
It rules.

What bargains have you found???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
FIRST

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

last time i went to goodwill i picked up three stephen king novels for 47 cents apiece, as well as a copy of donnie darko on DVD for $1

very good 10/10

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

congrats

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

If I wanted a bunch of other people's trash I'd just walk up and down my block on Thursday morning and get it for free.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
hundreds of books where the 30 something woman learns things about herself, and the cover is like a cartoon but none of the people have faces and they're just standing holding a glass of wine

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

If anyone wants an autographed copy of "AMERICAN HOLOCAUST" -- it's about worker's comp -- let me know. I did not buy it.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I found a stuffed goat wearing a Christmas sweater, snapped that poo poo up right away.

Also this dead bukakke jesus plate

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

i had to get dressed for a larp party and between the scarves/boots from a thrift store and the painter's tape from the back of my car i looked fantastic, easily the best out of everyone.

i larped a general that told people to bone

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Bismuth posted:

I found a stuffed goat wearing a Christmas sweater, snapped that poo poo up right away.

Also this dead bukakke jesus plate

Nice!

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I also saw a carved wooden cat/dog thing with a human face and genitals at Goodwill the other day. Almost bought it but it was like $10, too much for something too creepy to use as decoration.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I got a color print of "Mr. Pickwick addresses the Club" on wood for 99c

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
I found a really nice winter coat for $3. It lasted me 6 years.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I found a cool Mayan calendar for 3 dollars. It's well made and looks like and has the heft of genuine stone although I'm pretty sure its some kind of plastic. A few weeks ago I found copies of Zillion and Alien Syndrome on Master System for 3 bucks a piece, box included. That was more for the novelty of it because it's really hard to find Master System games in the wild now, especially good-to-decent titles

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I found a really cool video explaining the benefits of thrift store shopping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I found a really cool leather jacket at a Thrift Store once. It really helped my self confidence because people were always complimenting me on it.

I donated it a few years ago because my girlfriend didn't like it, one of the worst choices I've ever made :(

I miss you, leather jacket

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Christian Dior ankle length pea coat for $30. I'm 6'4 and the arms are the perfect length. Which is almost impossible for me to find

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i will cross post this from the board gameing thread, as it is relevant
I was back to the flea market and picked up quite a few goodies. As long as you can peek inside used board games are a huge bargain; everyone assumes that pieces are missing but often enough they're all there! Case in point my most recent trip, all of these where $3 a piece. Total cost $39:

A very nice backgammon and chess set. I've never been one for Backgammon but I figured this looked too nice not to get at that price. Could be worth a try. Ticket to Ride, zero pieces missing (I counted them all!) a very fortunate find. Domain is a game where players take turns placing differently shaped/colored tiles on a grid; it's a little like GO. Interaction is a weird pool themed abstract strategy game.

Blockade has each player placing maze tiles and moving a pawn around to try to get to the opponents square. aMazing Labyrinth is really sweet. The board is make up of a bunch of maze tiles and you take turns pushing the tile around to reconfigure the maze. The dominoes I'll come back to :v:

Two sets of double 12 dominoes and a poker set. The dominoes where obviously used by some kid as blocks and where kind of gross but there was a complete set between the two boxes.

Brain Strain seems to be like Trivial Pursuit but really dumb. I regret buying this; it looked neat and the box was heavy forgive me. The wooden thing is a 10 in 1 game board. It has Chess, Checkers, Mancala, Parcheesi, Snakes and Ladders, Chinese Checkers etc. All the pieces for it where there except 3 tiny Mancala beads that where easily replaced.

Finally best of all this set of 1992 Waco massacre commemorative Dominoes :D

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Board game recycling! Today I was at the thrift store (I check back there every week once I found a mint copy of Ticket to Ride for $5) and I come across this sad Trivial Pursuit. It has been here for as long as I remember. No one cares about it; it is cheap as dirt and no one will buy it This is fair of course as Trivial Pursuit is a terrible game and definitely not worth playing. Maybe I can use the trivia cards in a much better game? I will give it a home.

I get it home and find the components are actually pretty nice. A high quality 4-fold game board and a bunch of heavy cards. This circle really reminds me of......I know this things purpose now!

Trivial Pursuit, you can now be loved

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
On another note I have once again found some great games at the local thrift shops. I have taken to hitting up each store at least once a week; the inventories change constantly and they are always super low priced. Oddly enough I have yet to find one that is missing any pieces. This time I found: Mastermind, a two player code breaking game. Pit, a simultaneous play bidding game. Wizard, a funny kind of trick taking game. Xactika, an even funnier trick taking game. The Zombie Dice I got from the comic shop new; I was looking for a set for a while. Total (including the zombie dice) $15

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.
I saw a bunch of lovely chairs that were extremely uncomfortable. There was also a decent couch that I should have bought since I currently don't have one.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have been out to the thrift shops again! There is quite a bounty there now; I imagine people getting rid of unwanted Christmas gifts. I found a few gems. Fantasy Stratego is a slight variant on Stratego with special powers. This copy was literally brand new; the pieces had not even been taken out of the heat sealed bags and the stickers where still on their sheets. The Farming Game looks like some kind of Monopoly-type variant. This game is also brand new; but it was published in 1996. All the pieces are still in their original baggies. Quiddler is a word/card game. It looks pretty neat on it's own but I plan on using the cards mostly to play Unspeakable Words. Each of them was a toonie :D

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Back to the thrift store again this week! Some interesting finds. After missing out on Nightmare and it's expansions last week I was not going to pass up anything. I didn't find much but there where a few gems. Jenga Xtreme looks fun as heck, and is basically Jenga with funny shaped blocks. I didn't own a Jenga so I figured may as well go with Xtreme. Chung-Toi is a short abstract strategy game. Despite saying it's like Tic-Tac-Toe on the box it's actually much better and more like a short game of 9-Man Morris. The K-Tel Superstar Game was the real find though. I don't know exactly what it is but it's still in the original shrinkwrap and the copyright information on it says it was printed in 1973. I couldn't resist that, even if it's likely a bad game.

K-Tel Superstar Game Trip Report:

The board made the most amazing creaking sound when I opened it I could tell this had not been touched by human hands in 40 years. The game is essentially Candyland. You make no decisions what so ever, you roll dice and the random spaces and cards will increase/decrease your money arbitrarily. It comes with a "chance record" which you can use to determine the success of your record deals :psyduck: Though the rules say you can substitute a d6 if you lack a "phonograph". There are a few spaces where you have the option to buy a card; but it always seems worth your while to do so and is not really a meaningful choice. 1973 I am ashamed of you :colbert:

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Back to the thrift store again this week! Some interesting finds. After missing out on Nightmare and it's expansions last week I was not going to pass up anything. I didn't find much but there where a few gems. Jenga Xtreme looks fun as heck, and is basically Jenga with funny shaped blocks. I didn't own a Jenga so I figured may as well go with Xtreme. Chung-Toi is a short abstract strategy game. Despite saying it's like Tic-Tac-Toe on the box it's actually much better and more like a short game of 9-Man Morris. The K-Tel Superstar Game was the real find though. I don't know exactly what it is but it's still in the original shrinkwrap and the copyright information on it says it was printed in 1973. I couldn't resist that, even if it's likely a bad game.

K-Tel Superstar Game Trip Report:

The board made the most amazing creaking sound when I opened it I could tell this had not been touched by human hands in 40 years. The game is essentially Candyland. You make no decisions what so ever, you roll dice and the random spaces and cards will increase/decrease your money arbitrarily. It comes with a "chance record" which you can use to determine the success of your record deals :psyduck: Though the rules say you can substitute a d6 if you lack a "phonograph". There are a few spaces where you have the option to buy a card; but it always seems worth your while to do so and is not really a meaningful choice. 1973 I am ashamed of you :colbert:

The graphics are a straight ripoff of a '72 Williams Superstar pinball machine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I found a nice teak coffee table for $12 that I promptly sold on Craigslist for $200

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Got this pretty sweet mug.

"The National Runaway Safeline (also known as NRS or 1-800-RUNAWAY; formerly known as National Runaway Switchboard) is the federally designated national communications system for runaway and homeless youth, their parents and families, teens in crisis, and anyone else who might benefit from its services. It is confidential, anonymous, non-judgmental, non-directive, and free. The hotline number is 1-800-RUNAWAY. Calls are answered every day of the year, 24 hours a day."

twoday fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 10, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I got a sealed copy of Just Cause 2 for $4 (PC). I had just missed the Steam sale and couldn't believe my luck. I played the poo poo out of that game, best game purchase ever.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Rutibex got a haul. Good on ya.

opazlevi
Nov 2, 2015
Found a fully working SNES and a few games like Yoshi's Island, Castlevania, Super Mario All-Stars, etc. all for the price of like $45.

opazlevi fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 10, 2015

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

$1.09 Color laserjet printer with ink, 100% functional.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

joat mon posted:

$1.09 Color laserjet printer with ink, 100% functional.

Does it fax?

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I was at there today. Some nerdlinger was walking around with a lampshade. I got a job application.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Bed bugs. Lots and lots of bed bugs

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

I.C. posted:

Does it fax?

No faxing or scanning, no automatic duplexing either.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I.C. posted:

Rutibex got a haul. Good on ya.

:D what can I say, I have nothing better to do with my time

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Bought a nice Cleveland wedge for $5, retails for $80 and it was in perfect condition.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
A mug from the 1982 national conference for the manufacturers/sellers of the pesticide product Raid

It says "Kills 'em DEAD!" with a picture of a cartoon dead bug and the Raid logo

sweeeeet mug

also a moka pot

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
One of my coworkers has a chubby SJW son who failed out of ASU recently. We call him "Snack-lemore"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

if chung toi was a single player game it'd be called chung moi

• Locked thread