Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I'm at a dignified age where where my days of decorating with posters is behind me, so I've taken to aquiring some sweet thrift store objects d'artre:

Love Is Interplanetary

Polynesian Goku?

Dawg, dawg

Bull Testicles with Matador

Filthy French Postcards, mmmmm hmmm

Yeah, right

Most of my walls are lovely stucco over brick and I can't hang anything. Sucks.
oh, and :synpa:

Masturbasturd fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I got thrifting all the time.

Things I've found:

* About 12 different Herb Alpert records in mint condition for less than $10
* An Airplane! movie original one-sheet in a glass and metal frame for $8. I intended to flip it but left it in my basement until it was ruined in a flood.
* A full discography from some weird Kansas group called The Rainmakers. Worst music I've ever heard in my life. Paid $6 and flipped it on Ebay for $60.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo this owns

I keep looking for bad black velvet paintings but keep finding boring unobtrusive pictures of flowers you would hang in like a hotel room or something

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Champenema posted:

Most of my walls are lovely stucco over brick and I can't hang anything. Sucks.

You can paint over the first one if you want.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

Holy poo poo this owns

I keep looking for bad black velvet paintings but keep finding boring unobtrusive pictures of flowers you would hang in like a hotel room or something

That one kinda jumped out at me while thrifting and a was real keeper for $2.99. I'll hit 2 or 3 thrift stores on days when I feel like I need the therapy, always keeping an eye out for original artwork and lurking around the second hand underwear.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you are a collector of crappy old 33 1/3 holiday records then boy oh boy do I have good news for you WRT thrift stores

why are the records like 75% Christmas albums, why?!!!?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

If you are a collector of crappy old 33 1/3 holiday records then boy oh boy do I have good news for you WRT thrift stores

why are the records like 75% Christmas albums, why?!!!?
you're asking why people dispose of christmas records

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad

I wanna AV this bad boy

somuch_gravy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 10, 2015

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I got a sweet Rush Limbaugh mug that has him dressed up as Paul Revere and it says "The Liberals are Coming!"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

symbolic posted:

you're asking why people dispose of christmas records

it was more of a frustrated outburst than a real question

I guess an actual question is who buys christmas albums and why

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I have a poo poo ton of really nice professional clothing including a massive tie collection and I get complimented on my appearance on the reg but like my entire wardrobe is from goodwill except socks underwear and some shoes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

it was more of a frustrated outburst than a real question

I guess an actual question is who buys christmas albums and why
it's probably the misunderstanding that "i like christmas music" doesn't mean "i like to listen to christmas songs year-round", but rather "i like christmas songs when it's around christmas because i'm in the holiday spirit"

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

somuch_gravy posted:

I wanna AV this bad boy

Go hog wild bro. While recent revoltin' developments have deprived me of my AV, this one isn't quite apropos for my gestalt.

blumpkinhead
Nov 10, 2014

aint got no time for bird sex
I got this huge wooden nut cracker with big boobies that cracks nuts between her legs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blumpkinhead posted:

I got this huge wooden nut cracker with big boobies that cracks nuts between her legs.

but enough about your mom

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I got a commemorative beer stein from the 1972 Munich Olympics for a dollar.

I still wonder who bought it when it was new at the Olympics, and if they picked it up before or after the massacre.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I got this loving sick suede jacket for $7.99. I feel like a hipster cowboy when I wear it (that is a good thing)

edit: It is a Schott Bros. Rancher jacket, which seems to be a well known brand.

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 10, 2015

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Monkey Fracas posted:

A mug from the 1982 national conference for the manufacturers/sellers of the pesticide product Raid

It says "Kills 'em DEAD!" with a picture of a cartoon dead bug and the Raid logo

sweeeeet mug

I got a mug that says "For my best friend" on the outside, and on the inside bottom is a little ceramic frog. :3:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

I got a mug that says "For my best friend" on the outside, and on the inside bottom is a little ceramic frog. :3:

that's a bit sad actually :(

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Rutibex posted:

Finally best of all this set of 1992 Waco massacre commemorative Dominoes :D

LMAO

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

no one was impressed when i showed up at the client site in an almost-matching suit that i got from salvation army

the dry cleaning cost as much as the suit did. fit p well tho

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I decided to go check out the Goodwill in Denver this evening and I am sad to report the selection kind of sucked and they didn't even have stuff that was ironically cool.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

OctoberBlues posted:

I decided to go check out the Goodwill in Denver this evening and I am sad to report the selection kind of sucked and they didn't even have stuff that was ironically cool.

The same thing happened to me today as well :(

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Mine thinks retro games are all worth a fortune. They currently have Genesis sports titles under the glass counter.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

OctoberBlues posted:

I got this loving sick suede jacket for $7.99. I feel like a hipster cowboy when I wear it (that is a good thing)

edit: It is a Schott Bros. Rancher jacket, which seems to be a well known brand.

i saw jake gyllenhall wearing this exact jacket, can't remember which film though

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Goodwill is overpriced trash. Savers/Value Village is where it's at.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The main Goodwill here has a separate section for computer stuff, and I've picked up a lot of stuff there on the cheap. I built a computer for my nieces for under $30 that handled everything they threw at it. Got a secondary monitor for my main desktop that runs in portrait mode so I can have a whole document open there for reference while working in the other monitor.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Boinks posted:

I got thrifting all the time.

Things I've found:

* About 12 different Herb Alpert records in mint condition for less than $10

i get worried if i can't do this in any given thrift store

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i worked at a goodwill for about a year when i was in college. i dunno how any of you are finding intact board games, since the place was frequently used as a free daycare substitute and kids tore apart anything they could get their hands on.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Are thrift stores only good in suburban/rural areas? I live in NYC and all the shops here have overpriced trash.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Foreskin Problems posted:

Are thrift stores only good in suburban/rural areas? I live in NYC and all the shops here have overpriced trash.

Interesting question, the only ones I go to are in the suburbs. I believe I read somewhere that Goodwill trains employees to keep an eye out for actual valuable things, separate them from the crap and then auction them off.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Foreskin Problems posted:

That is what I have experienced. I don't know if it's just because bigger cities have more people, so there is a greater chance that good items get bought very quickly? Or if employees in smaller locations don't do as much research because they don't do near the volume?

I found all kinds of awesome stuff at the Goodwill in my hometown of 15,000 people and I have never found anything in Minneapolis or Denver.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've gotten some sweet furniture, paintings and especially coffee mugs. I am drinking out of my 1982 World's Fair coffee mug with a rainbow and some sort of structure on it, and recently got an awesome THESE COLORS DON'T RUN Desert Storm mug. You should all go to thrift stores a lot.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I got a Magic Bullet 16oz blender at Goodwill this week for $5, no more hand shaking those protein smoothies!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I found one of those motivation posters that said Authority and had a picture of a US tank rolling through some desert town. The caption was like "sometimes might makes right". It seemed crazy that anyone would make something like that sincerely, but this world is full of surprises.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

A Strange Aeon posted:

I found one of those motivation posters that said Authority and had a picture of a US tank rolling through some desert town. The caption was like "sometimes might makes right". It seemed crazy that anyone would make something like that sincerely, but this world is full of surprises.

Did you buy it?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately yeah seems like just garbage mostly around me. I did find an old CRT TV for 20 bux to hook all of my old 16/8 - bit videogame consoles up to though

I swear they look better on that than an LCD

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

OctoberBlues posted:

That is what I have experienced. I don't know if it's just because bigger cities have more people, so there is a greater chance that good items get bought very quickly? Or if employees in smaller locations don't do as much research because they don't do near the volume?

I found all kinds of awesome stuff at the Goodwill in my hometown of 15,000 people and I have never found anything in Minneapolis or Denver.

It's because in rural areas you don't get shittons of kids shopping thrift because it's the cool place to buy retro clothes. The Salvation Army here took advantage of this trend a few years ago and marked all their poo poo up 2-300% or more and now I can buy new stuff cheaper than someone else's old junk.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

Unfortunately yeah seems like just garbage mostly around me. I did find an old CRT TV for 20 bux to hook all of my old 16/8 - bit videogame consoles up to though

I swear they look better on that than an LCD

Yeah they should look better on that, same with VHS tapes.

I'm looking for one for my VCR and retro horror collection but 20 is too steep. I'm hoping to find one on the curb somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
Goodwills and Salvation Army thrift stores always smell odd and have an over an overabundance of old paper shredders and printers.

• Locked thread