Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!
Slippery Tilde

S.J. posted:

You call it a bad time but that's just shorthand for bringing the best stuff you can bring to win and using it the best you can. You can make it A Bad Time for your opponent by like, bringing a turbo gunline or whatever, but again, you're not making your opponents time bad, you're doing that to your opponents representation on the table.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Safety Factor posted:

Why the hell is this thread talking about Star Wars when this has been posted?

:3:

Um, I was JUST talking about the Ben-Hur chariot scene.

Moola posted:

I am angered by terrible posts

so as you can imagine, I am in a constant state of anger

:rip:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

FrostyPox posted:

actually it's good

Nah.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

FWIW I dislike rock-paper-scissors list building. I don't mind variance, but if it's at a level where you've put down your guys and see your opponent's side of the table and go "Well this is going to be awful", you have a problem. The only fix I can think there is sideboards.
No, the fix is good game design.

The last Infinity game I played was against a buddy of mine who plays Japanese Sectorial Army. We were slated to play a game where the primary mission objective was control of a more-or-less centrally-located building. Knowing a little bit about JSA, I knew that he has access to rock-hard link-teams of heavy-infantry troopers. These guys have good armor, big weapons, multiple wounds, and being in a link team makes them both order-efficient and extra shooty. They're also really pricey, making it easier to get more "points in the zone" to establish control. So I figured that (given the objectives) I'd probably see this kind of army from him.

So I brought a bunch of EM weapons (to break links) and hackers and other minis that could give me good repeater coverage, because nothing messes with Heavy Infantry's day like EM and hacking. I rounded out the rest of my force with some basic damage dealing stuff and some guys that let me deploy closer to the objective than normal. I felt like I had a solid plan and was looking forward to the game with maybe just a little bit of :smug:

Then he shows up with a list whose public contents consist of just two drones. Everything else is camouflaged or hidden deployment or whatever. Basically, rather than heavy infantry, be brought an entire list full of ninjas. :cripes: Worse, most of them were also infiltrators, so he started basically right outside the objective building. Within his first order he had over half his total army points in the objective.

But here's the cool part - Infinity isn't a rock-paper-scissors kind of game. Yeah, I didn't have the optimum set-up for the army I was facing, but I still had enough troops to get the job done. My dudes weren't great for the job, but at some level, even the little guys are all carrying shotguns. I was definitely in "Plan B Panic" mode, but my point is that I didn't lose the game in the list building phase.

And in fact, I ended up winning that game - in my next to last order of the last turn, after trailing pretty badly the entire time. With a line-infantry "cheerleader" model, because regardless of the fact that my list wasn't optimal, if you play focused to the objectives, you can usually give yourself an even-money chance of squeaking out a win even under the direst of circumstances.

I've heard it said repeatedly that the best "skill" you can have when playing Infinity is to not go tilt when your opponent (inevitably) hoses your cunning plan. To me, the fact that you don't automatically lose a game during the list creation even if you end up with a bad mis-match is the sign of a well-designed game.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ilor posted:

I've heard it said repeatedly that the best "skill" you can have when playing Infinity is to not go tilt when your opponent (inevitably) hoses your cunning plan. To me, the fact that you don't automatically lose a game during the list creation even if you end up with a bad mis-match is the sign of a well-designed game.

Yeah, but I gather some people like games when you can bring the correct lists to hose people, which sounds like a thing I really dislike. As you put it, I quite like games where you can play a list you're not strong against and still win with good planning and a bit of luck.

My last FoW game was quite a lot like that; I think, in terms of lists, a night-attacking infantry force against about eight trained panthers should've been a cakewalk, but daylight coming quickly and some good reserves turned it into a real bloodbath.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

*quietly adds you to THE LIST*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm gonna give this thread some time off, I'll unlock it in a couple of days or just let someone make a new thread.

• Locked thread