Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trast posted:

From the way the kickstarter is worded it could be that none of the original cast will be on screen or voicing the robots. It would be pretty cool if they got some of the better voice actors these days to come in and do it.

Just please not the people in the trailer. God I never thought I'd miss Josh Weinstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

yeah its the nerdist guys in the trailer and that would be a huge shame if that's who they cast.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Puppy Galaxy posted:

yeah its the nerdist guys in the trailer and that would be a huge shame if that's who they cast.

Oh I figured it was like Joels assistant he had at Chiller. Well hopefully it's not them...cause they suck.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I bought the Manos dvd, I'm not giving them anymore money :colbert:

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Trast posted:

From the way the kickstarter is worded it could be that none of the original cast will be on screen or voicing the robots. It would be pretty cool if they got some of the better voice actors these days to come in and do it.

I think between Joel and Mike's projects, all of the original guys are still actively doing cinematic titanic/rifftracks. Like 100% of them that are still alive last I checked. Even TV's Frank.

Yeah, surprisingly a bunch of dorks on an esoteric show for nerds whose primary purpose was mercilessly mocking hollywood movies never really got in with the hollywood crowd. They've all got plenty of free time.

Skeleton Ape posted:

THIS time, though,

Someone already said it, but this is a show that makes fun of movies. It's a couple hours of puns, it's not like there's character development or story arcs to consider.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

If it was Joel, Kevin Murphy and Trace Beaulieu, and they promised to do the show with Joel baked the entire time, then yeah, I'd be on board.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Only if they bring back Josh Weinstein.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i like joel and mike

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the $2 million goal is to make 3 episodes lol

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Parallax Scroll posted:

i like joel and mike

Yeah just put them both in it. If they guaranteed that I'd throw em a a hundred bucks or so.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Crow and Servo voices in the pitch video made me involuntarily convulse I will not support this dumb gay project

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I've tried watching a few episodes on Prime, not sure why I liked it so much in high school because I ended up falling asleep. I was even dumber than I am now back in high school; might be nice for nostalgia's sake though.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

isn't just about every episode on youtube?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

the $2 million goal is to make 3 episodes lol

they have to build a set and poo poo. also they have to license the movies. KTMA comedy central and sci fi all had access to big libraries.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parallax Scroll posted:

I think every maybe the more appropriate description.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Is this another Star Citizen module or what?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

gfanikf posted:

I think every maybe the more appropriate description.

what about the lost episodes huh

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Parallax Scroll posted:

They USED to be but shout factory or w/o has been very active with copyright takedowns lately. I used to have all the episodes bookmarked or w/e :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Kuato posted:

I've tried watching a few episodes on Prime, not sure why I liked it so much in high school because I ended up falling asleep. I was even dumber than I am now back in high school; might be nice for nostalgia's sake though.

lol if you dont still find stuff like The Final Sacrifice and Squirm funny as helll

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Awesome Welles posted:

lol if you dont still find stuff like The Final Sacrifice and Squirm funny as helll

Mister Beardsly?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i thought i heard j. elvis weinstein and trace beulieu's voice in the trailer with some weirdo doing tom servo. so if it's not them then who are those jabronis, and who wants to watch mst3k with a completely new cast? seems like a bad idea.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

you can still watch original episodes here by the way: http://www.club-mst3k.com/

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
From $300 tier description

quote:

At the very least, your poster will e signed by the new host and puppeteers. And Joel.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Puppy Galaxy posted:

The Rifftrax guys are going to write and make cameos, it seems.

That's what I immediately scanned. This looks like a project that is 99.9999% Joel. Given I honestly think Mike fell into the groove better and they've been doing Rifftrax, that's concerning. Those guys are the MST3k crew.

I have a feeling that's why the kickstarter is doing not great. I'd not back a mostly Joel solo project, with some "next host" and none of the same people.

If this was everyone on board, I'd be on board. As it is this feels >< close to a misleading scam: Paying to resurrect a completely different show helmed by the guy who left it for the longest period of time.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 10, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AV Club gives the scoop

quote:

The campaign has the rather lofty goal of $2 million, which Hodgson says will enable him to make three full-length episodes of MST3K to shop around to TV networks and streaming platforms.

quote:

Hodgson says he hopes the campaign will not only raise the needed funds to produce new episodes of the show, but to serve as a sort of MST3K Signal to lure the old gang back onto the Satellite Of Love. But they won’t be on screen: Hodgson also wants to cast a new host and new mad-scientist adversary for the new season, as well new voices for Crow and Tom Servo.

Seriously gently caress this campaign.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This guys has it right:

mind the walrus posted:

Seriously gently caress this campaign.

I'd pay for new MST3k. This thing is not MST3k.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Seems to me like he and Mary Jo Pehl and Trace and the other people he got for Cinematic Titanic should just join up with Rifftrax and switch off riffing, but I guess he's gotta ~do his own thing~ for some reason.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mozi posted:

Seems to me like he and Mary Jo Pehl and Trace and the other people he got for Cinematic Titanic should just join up with Rifftrax and switch off riffing, but I guess he's gotta ~do his own thing~ for some reason.

To be entirely honest his first season a little rough but Mike is totally superior as the host anyway.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I thought I would hate Mike. I thought I would hate Mary Jo. I thought I would hate Bill.

This will probably suck, but I'm in.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Dogmeat posted:

Someone already said it, but this is a show that makes fun of movies. It's a couple hours of puns, it's not like there's character development or story arcs to consider.

Oh. Well in that case it has a much higher likelihood of being good and will probably stick around for ~5 years or so.

:laugh:

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
There are like 1000 cable channels, and Netflix and Amazon Prime, and and and, they couldn't find 1 to pony up the dough?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I'm on board too. I'm 30 and I was naught but a literal child when the show was on Comedy Central. There's a whole generation of comics and writers who were also naught but children during it's original run. If they can find a new crew that's funny, poo poo, that's worth my 50 buck pitch in. Like, I bet a everyone thought TNG would suck because it would be different from the OS, and it was different, but it doesn't mean it was be bad.

Stop being such a bunch of goddamned pessimists.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kith_groupie posted:

I'm on board too. I'm 30 and I was naught but a literal child when the show was on Comedy Central. There's a whole generation of comics and writers who were also naught but children during it's original run. If they can find a new crew that's funny, poo poo, that's worth my 50 buck pitch in.

How were you able to afford it, since it seems like you might own $10,000 in Star Citizen ships?

kith_groupie posted:

Like, I bet a everyone thought TNG would suck because it would be different from the OS, and it was different, but it doesn't mean it was be bad.

It kind blew for 2 seasons and in today's world it'd been canceled before finishing season 1. Something to remember for a project that lacks the backing of a whole studio.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

kith_groupie posted:

I will naught.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

holy gently caress the new voices are so bad, I bet 90% of the people throwing money at this didn't watch the video & didn't realize its a lovely cancer version.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if i was an executive i wouldn't greenlight a new mst3k with a different cast because the fan base has demonstrated throughout its history that it's intense enough to be alienated by a cast change, although on the other hand when the show went sci-fi it was a completely different cast from the original at that point.

anyway i dont like the idea of some youtube guys being the new cast if that's what they plan on doing

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Licensing shouldn't take too much of the budget.

In the old days they had a large library to draw from, but the rights to most were still owned by someone and they didn't really anticipate needing those rights to sell MST3K in the home video market.
With all the hoops Shout! Factory has had to jump through for rights acquisition, I think they'll be much smarter about it now and choose titles either in the public domain or whose owners would sell them the rights super cheap before they even do the episode.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

skull wall posted:

holy gently caress the new voices are so bad, I bet 90% of the people throwing money at this didn't watch the video & didn't realize its a lovely cancer version.

Be sure to send them a big banner that says "I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE"

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Skeleton Ape posted:

Every single time a decent show gets resurrected after being dead forever everyone is excited as hell until the first episodes come out and then everyone immediately stops talking about it and they stop making it because of course they never manage to capture the magic of the original and it ends up being forgettable / bad.

THIS time, though,

Ash vs Evil Dead has gotten great reviews. Who knows?

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It would be hilarious if Chris Hardwick was on the show and he just kept saying how great this movie is and that he loves it but he won't stop trying to convince everyone about it. Then after that he has a spoof segment where its like "Talking MST3K" and he is just pleading with Crow to like the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I'll take either, but my general opinion is that even though my namesake comes from a Joel episode (Rocketship XM) , Mike ftmfw.

wasn't that name from the Mutiny in Space episode with the railings and all that?

• Locked thread