Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Again, this is your daily reminder that Mike also asks you to go donate at the end of every Rifftrax on the chance you torrented or youtubed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

a starwar betamax posted:

So hard-working conservative Mike Nelson puts his nose to the grind stone and starts out small and puts in extra hours to build his own business

Stoner sad sack Joel mumbles at a camera asking for handouts....

Mike did exactly that, and he's had great success.

Joel tried Cinematic Titanic with MJP, Frank.. etc, and it wasn't very good.

This is a new idea. If anyone has the "rights" to MST3k, it's Joel, imvho

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Again, this is your daily reminder that Mike also asks you to go donate at the end of every Rifftrax on the chance you torrented or youtubed it

I am okay with this. It's like a 50 second reminder to support them. Rifftrax are super cheap anyway.

Or I guess you could get some sleepy-eyed guy mumbling into a microphone that unplugs halfway through his speech about how he needs money because he's totally got a star-studded cast for that new thing from your childhood

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

will new mst3k be edgy and bold enough to watch even that which the old crew wouldnt? Will "Child Bride of the Ozarks" be riffed?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Isn't rifftrax just the audio? If so, that's why he doesn't have to ask for handouts. Sets/cameras/audio equipment/movie licensing is expensive as poo poo.

edit: I guess they have some video files synced with the audio, but the set and equipment thing still stands.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 14, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nail Rat posted:

Isn't rifftrax just the audio? If so, that's why he doesn't have to ask for handouts. Sets/cameras/audio equipment/movie licensing is expensive as poo poo.

Rifftrax has lots of VOD stuff now, you get a file of the movie with the audio synced and everything. Not the mainstream films obviously though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Rifftrax has lots of VOD stuff now, you get a file of the movie with the audio synced and everything. Not the mainstream films obviously though.

They still don't actually film anything other than their live shows and those they've been going to Kickstarter to fund.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I am okay with this. It's like a 50 second reminder to support them. Rifftrax are super cheap anyway.

Or I guess you could get some sleepy-eyed guy mumbling into a microphone that unplugs halfway through his speech about how he needs money because he's totally got a star-studded cast for that new thing from your childhood

Nail Rat posted:

edit: I guess they have some video files synced with the audio, but the set and equipment thing still stands.

I guess I almost forgot about this too

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/rifftrax

Three different campaigns, each raising 250k each for a live event. And I've been to enough of the live events to know that they get plagued by technical difficulties as well because, as it turns out, technology is really tricky

Also, Rifftrax is typically less and less just the audio and more often it's the movie and audio as a bundle, and they avoid licensing costs being too steep by picking forgotten B-movies, or former MST fodder and adding new riffs

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Not just star-studded, but pandering to "nerd culture!" Oh boy, Felicia Day! She's hilarious and a known comic, right? Hope she brings Wil Wheaton! He was on that thing from back when and is now a trusted nerd guru!

I'm not saying I won't give this a chance and watch it but I tend not to trust anything that asks for the money before they're even done making the product. This whole project just reeks of a quick cash-in where Joel drops some names to get people excited, where most of those big names appear to be limited-time writers. I also think it's telling that Joel keeps saying that any old cast members are welcome back, but they're all pretty much avoiding it (excepting Frank, I guess).

New voices on the robots are fine, as are new cast members. I just question the need to resurrect a 15+ years-dead franchise and can't see any purpose for it other than to cash-in on name recognition.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Also the price of licensing movies, even lovely ones, ain't as cheap as it used to be. 5 mil to make 14 episodes of ANY show is a shoestring these days and clearly a lot of the talent involved isn't working at the top end of their pay scale because this is a show they grew up with and love so they're willing to work cheaper than usual.

Shout! lists copyright info for the featured movies. The Screaming Skull and Robot Rumpus are absolutely in the public domain, but the MST3K DVD notes licensing from MGM for the movie and Premavision (Art Clokey's company) for the short.

It's not uncommon now since licensing even public domain movies does put you in better standing. Shout! is also releasing a Blu-Ray of The Brain That Wouldn't Die. Since they licensed it from MGM, they're able to use the camera negative.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Molothecat posted:

Not just star-studded, but pandering to "nerd culture!" Oh boy, Felicia Day! She's hilarious and a known comic, right? Hope she brings Wil Wheaton! He was on that thing from back when and is now a trusted nerd guru!

I'm not saying I won't give this a chance and watch it but I tend not to trust anything that asks for the money before they're even done making the product. This whole project just reeks of a quick cash-in where Joel drops some names to get people excited, where most of those big names appear to be limited-time writers. I also think it's telling that Joel keeps saying that any old cast members are welcome back, but they're all pretty much avoiding it (excepting Frank, I guess).

New voices on the robots are fine, as are new cast members. I just question the need to resurrect a 15+ years-dead franchise and can't see any purpose for it other than to cash-in on name recognition.

He's been wanting to bring it back for a while now, but only recently got the rights back.

The franchise is being resurrected because people wanted it to be. People have wanted the show to come back since the SciFi channel canceled it. Fans threw money at the cause back then in the form of an ad in Variety.

Edit: no TV show needs to exist but the mst3k format works, riffing on media is arguably more popular now than it's ever been, crowdfunding is mainstream and content providers like Netflix are bringing back old shows all the time, sometimes very successfully. If there was ever a time to bring back MST3K it's now.

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 14, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the big reason this is all happening right now is that Jim Mallon apparently finally sold the rights to the show completely to Shout, who are more than willing to work with Joel on bringing it back/doing proper profit sharing for back episodes.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Let's compromise. I will fund Joel's entire show, but only on the stipulation that Mallon is his co-producer and we have reality TV crews at every meeting.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
It doesnt seem like black tom servo is even trying to sound like kevin murphy or use his mannerisms, My only niggle in a project i am otherwise anticipating in a big way. Hopefully that is just for the kickstarter begging videos and someone can get this guy some MST3k tapes between now and filming day.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

It doesnt seem like black tom servo is even trying to sound like kevin murphy or use his mannerisms, My only niggle in a project i am otherwise anticipating in a big way. Hopefully that is just for the kickstarter begging videos and someone can get this guy some MST3k tapes between now and filming day.

they can just say they updated his firmware or some poo poo and now he doesn't sound or act like he did before

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Seriously, you couldn't just say criticism?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

First they take spiderman from us.. and now tom servo?? WHATS NEXT?

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Joel's professional history has always been one of him avoiding "selling out" and often just walking away from opportunities because he didn't like them as a (weird humored prop comic) comedian. So I'm not sure why you'd think that the Kickstarter is just a cash grab.

Maybe some of the choices are ill conceived and it's possible the new show will just flat out suck, but I think he's doing all of this in earnest.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Indolent Bastard posted:

Seriously, you couldn't just say criticism?

Well, I learned a new word today.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I really want them to riff Foodfight! That movie is awful.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I did so this seems reasonable

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I really want them to riff Foodfight! That movie is awful.

That would be excellent

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

MattD1zzl3 posted:

i think it is okay for new people to take on old roles. otherwise you get people who think things like only mark hammil and kevin conroy should be batman or joker. its like lol time to face the reality that poo poo changes you gross aging nerds

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i think it is okay for new people to take on old roles.

no no no NO NO IT IS NOT

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
Would a character refresh be acceptable with Diabetus as Tom Servo, Patton Oswalt as Crow, and Hannibal Buress as host?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Sex Prospector posted:

Would a character refresh be acceptable with Diabetus as Tom Servo, Patton Oswalt as Crow, and Hannibal Buress as host?

That would be a fresh take

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Sex Prospector posted:

finally someone willing to shift the paradigm

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Man, I would love a Hannibal Burress hosted MST3K.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Joel as a guest on The Eric Andre Show would be amazing

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Man, I would love a Hannibal Burress hosted MST3K.

And may I introduce the New Mad?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I loving wish these last few posts were what was really happening, drat.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

amusinginquiry posted:

Joel's professional history has always been one of him avoiding "selling out" and often just walking away from opportunities because he didn't like them as a (weird humored prop comic) comedian. So I'm not sure why you'd think that the Kickstarter is just a cash grab.

Maybe some of the choices are ill conceived and it's possible the new show will just flat out suck, but I think he's doing all of this in earnest.

Don't worry about it, it's just the residual mike vs joel radiation leftover from the birth of the internet.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Just now realized Matt Berry should have been a bot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oye9AmOdsZc

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Raku posted:

Goddamit you're right :negative:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Raku posted:

Jesus Christ, he would have been a great Servo!!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Our stunt casting is so much better than their stunt casting and it isn't fair!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
How often are they going to reference the Beverly Hillbillies, that was always their richest vein of comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCb5rLjtF-4&t=202s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQcKVUQ4dDg&t=5200s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I started watching Cinematic Titanic last night and there was blood on screen and they started making jokes about "red gold, Transylvania tea" so yeah probably expect those references.

• Locked thread