Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

skull wall posted:

holy gently caress the new voices are so bad, I bet 90% of the people throwing money at this didn't watch the video & didn't realize its a lovely cancer version.

Bingo. Like if they want to come up with new robots that actually fit the new VAs then great, but listening to the Chinatown versions of Crow and Servo in the pitch video made me retch. It's not even that those characters are sacred it's that I saw firsthand how badly it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Skeleton Ape posted:

Every single time a decent show gets resurrected after being dead forever everyone is excited as hell until the first episodes come out and then everyone immediately stops talking about it and they stop making it because of course they never manage to capture the magic of the original and it ends up being forgettable / bad.

THIS time, though,

Futurama's resurrection was disappointing, albeit with some noticeable exceptions like The Late Philip J Fry

Family Guy's return was just lovely titties

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I think this could have a bit of a chance because it is not making up full original stories or anything, it's just literally making jokes about lovely movies.

Family Guy and Futurama had to worry about plots, character growth (or lack thereof), and new premises to keep the material fresh. MST3K doesn't.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Yossarian posted:

They USED to be but shout factory or w/o has been very active with copyright takedowns lately. I used to have all the episodes bookmarked or w/e :(

The official YouTube channel has a ton of episodes, and those are nice because they have annotations throughout talking about the sources of some of the obscure jokes and references the cast makes.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kuato posted:

I've tried watching a few episodes on Prime, not sure why I liked it so much in high school because I ended up falling asleep. I was even dumber than I am now back in high school; might be nice for nostalgia's sake though.

Some are good and some are bad. The bad ones are usually bad cause the movies are so boring they can barely squeeze any humor out of them

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also I don't really have any interest in this if it's not going to be the original crew. Mst3k literally already still exists in rifftrax I don't miss the skits enough to watch some new goobers try to play the same characters

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

new host rifffer pewdiepie

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Dogmeat posted:

I think between Joel and Mike's projects, all of the original guys are still actively doing cinematic titanic/rifftracks. Like 100% of them that are still alive last I checked. Even TV's Frank.

Yeah, surprisingly a bunch of dorks on an esoteric show for nerds whose primary purpose was mercilessly mocking hollywood movies never really got in with the hollywood crowd. They've all got plenty of free time.

Someone already said it, but this is a show that makes fun of movies. It's a couple hours of puns, it's not like there's character development or story arcs to consider.

It looks like Cinematic Titantic has been dead for awhile. Rifftrax is still going and just started hosting the old MST3K content.

But as far as the old cast being busy Mike Nelson posted to his twitter that he isn't involved with the revival and posted why here https://www.facebook.com/mikeatrifftrax/posts/1167399969942922 (Rifftrax keeps him too busy to be involved.) Looks like J. Elvis Weinstein isn't either https://twitter.com/JElvisWeinstein/status/664156053660045312 . Frank Conniff and Trace Beaulieu haven't said anything official but are doing some sort of tour together right now.

It's probably best if it's new people (not the ones from the trailer please god) doing the show. Otherwise it will likely turn into a dated nostalgia piece like people are saying.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Wow the Crow and Servo voices are horrible. If they are gonna be the voice actors, no thanks. Also, the new host, isn't that the guy who does the birds voice from Awesome Show?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Trast posted:

It looks like Cinematic Titantic has been dead for awhile. Rifftrax is still going and just started hosting the old MST3K content.

But as far as the old cast being busy Mike Nelson posted to his twitter that he isn't involved with the revival and posted why here https://www.facebook.com/mikeatrifftrax/posts/1167399969942922 (Rifftrax keeps him too busy to be involved.) Looks like J. Elvis Weinstein isn't either https://twitter.com/JElvisWeinstein/status/664156053660045312 . Frank Conniff and Trace Beaulieu haven't said anything official but are doing some sort of tour together right now.

It's probably best if it's new people (not the ones from the trailer please god) doing the show. Otherwise it will likely turn into a dated nostalgia piece like people are saying.

or they could just not make a new one. i mean theres lots of existing episodes if you want to watch one

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Smelly Bohemian posted:

Which crow voice is the best crow voice. I think the first crow voice.

Both Crow voices are Good. Trace was a way better puppeteer though.

Crow is Good.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

are they going to do the 5 days of mst3k for thanksgiving again because that was pretty cool

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Aesop Poprock posted:

Some are good and some are bad. The bad ones are usually bad cause the movies are so boring they can barely squeeze any humor out of them

Yeah, I watched some Santa one, they had some good quips early on and then the wheels came off. I'll have to check out some different episodes.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Kuato posted:

Yeah, I watched some Santa one, they had some good quips early on and then the wheels came off. I'll have to check out some different episodes.

The Final Sacrifice and Pumaman are probably the best. Pumaman especially is a bad movie that would be fun to watch on its own.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Lena Dunham revealed as new host and the rest of the cast of Girls will be voicing 3 new robots.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Puppy Galaxy posted:

you guys it's ok to like a thing

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
please god just let it stay dead.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Shinjobi posted:

you know you want me baby

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

mind the walrus posted:

AV Club gives the scoop

Seriously gently caress this campaign.

yes, as Star Trek or the late Sci-Fi season of MST shows you absolutely cannot resurrect a show using new cast members :jerkbag:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Lena Dunham revealed as new host and the rest of the cast of Girls will be voicing 3 new robots.

you jest but Pearl was a great mad, there is no reason a female cast member couldn't be funny in any particular role :colbert:

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 10, 2015

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

you jest but Pearl was a great mad, there is no reason a female cast member couldn't be funny in any particular role :colbert:

?? Girls are by nature incapable of being funny, it's one of those biology things.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Girls are funny, but Pearl was only really great when she was playing off of Trace. The newer mads were disappointing in comparison to Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank. Also, my wife is incapable of seeing TV's Frank without proclaiming him "so gross."

I support the new MST, though. If the riffing' good, and the movie selection (hopefully 1960s-90s to distance them a bit from RT) it'll work!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Pearl / Bobo / Brain Guy are an acquired taste; I remember initially being ambivalent about them but after seeing more episodes they grew on me

PinkoBastard posted:

I support the new MST, though. If the riffing' good, and the movie selection (hopefully 1960s-90s to distance them a bit from RT) it'll work!

:agreed:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Pearl always annoyed me but mostly I didn't care about the host segments. When they were funny it was a nice bonus.

Anyway Mike and Trace both said they're not involved which is a bummer, but I hold out hope that Joel will offer them and everyone else a pile of money to help write it.

Also Jonah Ray is hosting which loving sucks, but whatever, at least it's not Chris Hardwick

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
Never liked Joel. That is all.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
How do they eat and breathe on the ship?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Be sure to send them a big banner that says "I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE"

I used to read the episode guide every couple years. I like and appreciate your joke.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Actually, $5 million for a 12 episode season of 90 minute episodes is probably cheap.

Although, they should shoot the new episodes on iPhones and partner with MGM to raid the American International and Cannon libraries.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
I would like to see something new done with the premise.

There's no reason why new comedians shouldn't get the chance to contribute to this. It's like in the Whose Line reboot where they only have one open chair for the hundreds of improvisers who are better than the old cast.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
http://www.theonion.com/americanvoices/levar-burton-raises-1-million-to-bring-back-readin-36158

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I would like to see something new.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Puppy Galaxy posted:

The Final Sacrifice and Pumaman are probably the best. Pumaman especially is a bad movie that would be fun to watch on its own.

These are good. Pod People is probably my favorite though.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i like the coleman francis trilogy the best (skydivers, beast of yucca flats, red zone cuba)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i like the coleman francis trilogy the best (skydivers, beast of yucca flats, red zone cuba)

i can't make it through any of his movies in one sitting. people who say manos is the worst movie ever made don't know poo poo.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I downloaded every mst3k episode and have watched all the way through 3 times now. I just started season one again a few days ago. I'm a frekaing nerd lol. I also have a bunch of the rifftax stuff

it's fun to get drunk and watch bad movies what can I say.

and yes the Coleman Francis movies are amazing in how gross and bad they are

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Another movie that had that horrible Coleman Francis feel was sidehackers. Jesus I hate that movie so much

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the guy from sidehackers was way better in hellcats, probably the best drug movie they ever did

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Both Crow voices are Good. Trace was a way better puppeteer though.

Crow is Good.

this is true. it took a couple episodes where Bill did a higher pitched voice for crow and was really stiff in puppeteering but by the end of season 8 he hit his stride and had some great moments of his own

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i still love the line "flag on the moon... how did it get there?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I watched the kickstarter video and the voices don't seem bad to me. it just takes time to get used to changes like that

• Locked thread