Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

h2oxaddict posted:

i made palak paneer nachos tonight:

pffft that's not nachos that's a casserole

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Thunder Moose posted:

What would you put on nachos GBS?

See - I am going through a nacho phase - much like Van Gogh - only less paint, more cheese.

I have tried diced jalapenos, ground beef (seasoned, I am not a barbarian), sour cream, various secondary cheeses like chipotle colby and jalapeno chedder... I need something to "wow" me...

If you, GBS, could pick ANY topping for your nachos besides the standard cheese addition - what would it be? WOW ME DAMNIT.

Sit freshly chopped jalapeņos into an opened can of tuna in oil overnight. Put it all on the nachos and bake in the oven for a bit, with whatever else you want.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

i ordered nachos at some pretentious gastropub, you know one of those hipster jackass places that hires "mixologists" instead of bartenders

never get mexican food anywhere except

1) an honest to god hole in the wall mexican joint or

2) taco bell, which isn't even close to mexican food in the slightest but they've perfected the art of taking like five ingredients and recombining them into new horrible gross yet delicious forms

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

cram me sideways posted:

2) taco bell, which isn't even close to mexican food in the slightest but they've perfected the art of taking like five ingredients and recombining them into new horrible gross yet delicious forms

2a) del taco

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

cram me sideways posted:

wow youve really got life figured out and #2 DOUBLE wow because what a really insightful point ive never heard before

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

cram me sideways posted:

You should try Taco Time. It's about as authentic as Taco Bell, but is way, way better.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lol if u dont layer cheese n poo poo throughout the pile of chips

scrub nachos is just cheese and poo poo on top of a mountain and you end up with 5 bites of nachos then youre just eating plain chips

also stadium nachos are the highest form of nacho eat my dick if u believe otherwise

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

FogHelmut posted:

i ordered nachos at some pretentious gastropub, you know one of those hipster jackass places that hires "mixologists" instead of bartenders

5 loving nachos, individually made

that's some bullshit

I would have thrown them back in his mustachioed face

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

2a) del taco

The sauces at El Pollo Loco are very mexican and good.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Green onions go really good on nachos after they've been cooked to gooey hot perfection. just sprike those badboys on cold and enjoy the extra flavor

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

There's some bar next to an old grain mill about 15 minutes from my house. It's wholly unremarkable except for the fact that they have $1.25 taco night and some of the best loving homemade nachos I've ever had.

But personally, optimal nacho for me has pulled carnitas pork, black beans, salsa, and nacho cheese.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Infidel Castro posted:

But personally, optimal nacho for me has pulled carnitas pork, black beans, salsa, and nacho cheese.

wtf like whole black beans? Cold salsa just poured on top of the hot toppings? Nacho cheese like the orange melted stuff they sell at sports events?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Microwaves Mom posted:

Green onions go really good on nachos after they've been cooked to gooey hot perfection. just sprike those badboys on cold and enjoy the extra flavor

Agreed, but let me go one further and opine that green onions are like garlic in that they make everything more delicious

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Infidel Castro posted:

It's wholly unremarkable except for the fact that they have $1.25 taco night and some of the best loving homemade nachos I've ever had.

it's good to kno about these places, they improve one's life markedly

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

shredded is the one true meat topping for nachos

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Agreed, but let me go one further and opine that green onions are like garlic in that they make everything more delicious

very true.

Fresh, Crisp, and delicious!

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Chinatown posted:

scrub nachos is just cheese and poo poo on top of a mountain and you end up with 5 bites of nachos then youre just eating plain chips

i pull the plain ones out from the bottom like jenga and dip them in the topping pile, if theres enough stuff on top this technique provides enough topping for each chip

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Haverchuck posted:

i pull the plain ones out from the bottom like jenga and dip them in the topping pile, if theres enough stuff on top this technique provides enough topping for each chip

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I grew up in a household where using garlic or any type of onion or leek was not allowed because they were 'gross'.

Also my dad beat me. Not sure which is worse.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wish an actual Mexican place would have an assembly line like Chipotle or Quadoba.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I grew up in a household where using garlic or any type of onion or leek was not allowed because they were 'gross'.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't even imagine what your food tasted like.... that's like not allowing salt in your house

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Chinatown posted:

lol if u dont layer cheese n poo poo throughout the pile of chips

also stadium nachos are the highest form of nacho eat my dick if u believe otherwise

yeah but then you get 5 bites of good nachos then you're eating soggy ones that have been sitting in cheese and misc grease... it's like a loving nacho catch 22 you cant win with them they're a poorly designed food :shrug:

i mean yeah there's potential for it to taste fuckin awesome but in terms of efficiency and furthermore,

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish an actual Mexican place would have an assembly line like Chipotle or Quadoba.

if you live in a city with areas where lots of latinos live there are different small restaurants and some tiny chains like this and they own. or just move to california they have tons of places that Chipotle is a poor imitation of

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

Tiberius Thyben posted:

How the hell do you cook anything without two of the most basic ingredients ??
Truly, you had an awful childhood and you have my heartfelt condolences.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thathonkey posted:

if you live in a city with areas where lots of latinos live there are different small restaurants and some tiny chains like this and they own. or just move to california they have tons of places that Chipotle is a poor imitation of
We have two authentic Mexican places here, neither do it which is a shame. I just like a to grab a burito on the way home and more options for that from restaurants I like would be cool. Don't go to Chipotle very often, it's not that great and the line is almost always insane.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I think I'm gonna get some taco bell on the way home in an hour or so.
Mostly because I haven't eaten in about 28 hours, but also because I'm a monster and hate myself.

Also, I really like stupid large (yet not the authentic comically large) burritos.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Black olives. Most people despise them, dismissing them as lego tires, etc. I like the way they taste and think they add to the over all nacho experience.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Incomplete Fish posted:

Black olives. Most people despise them, dismissing them as lego tires, etc. I like the way they taste and think they add to the over all nacho experience.

I've had some abysmal olives every now and then, but nachos with good black kalamata olives are great. See: my picture earlier in this thread. I even order more on the side.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
My friend got 'asian-mexican fusion nachos' from a food truck once that he kept raving about.

I gave him poo poo for forever after that because it turned out to literally be a mini-plate of loving Doritos with loose spicy tuna on top. I tried a bite of his and it was loving gross. I should divorce him as a friend probably.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

My friend got 'asian-mexican fusion nachos' from a food truck once that he kept raving about.

I gave him poo poo for forever after that because it turned out to literally be a mini-plate of loving Doritos with loose spicy tuna on top. I tried a bite of his and it was loving gross. I should divorce him as a friend probably.

If a place calls something fusion, it's because it sucks and needs buzz words to make hipsters get it.

If it's not horrible, they just say what it is, like tikka paneer pizza, or Asian tuna nachos, though I expect it is impossible for the latter to be good.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Why is anything "asian-mexican fusion" so tone-deaf to how any ingredients are actually used in either cuisine

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Like raw fish on nachos just doesn't make sense from a Mexican or a Japanese standpoint (both cusines use them! Raw fish isn't just a Japanese thing!). Okonomiyaki toppings would make a lot more sense

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
It was goddamn tuna on Doritos what the gently caress is wrong with him in the mouth

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

a hole-y ghost posted:

Like raw fish on nachos just doesn't make sense from a Mexican or a Japanese standpoint (both cusines use them! Raw fish isn't just a Japanese thing!). Okonomiyaki toppings would make a lot more sense

how are they supposed to know Japan has foods other than sushi?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Tiberius Thyben posted:

how are they supposed to know Japan has foods other than sushi?
It's like hipster food truck assholes can't even google the cuisines they're supposedly serving

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
the "fusion" label makes me think someone is trying to gentrify food.
badly.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

seriously a real asian mexican fusion truck should just be filipino food

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hell yeh gona steam a nice hot plate of nachos tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

hell yeh gona steam a nice hot plate of nachos tonight.
dude you gotta steam the cheese separate so the chips dont get soggy but steamed cheese on nachos is :krad:

• Locked thread