Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Dogs are of the physical realm; companionship, adoration and love.:) Cats are of the mystical realm; they do weird poo poo and kill. :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't want a dog to guard my body what good's that going to do? Daft thing should eat me or bury me.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I don't want a dog to guard my body what good's that going to do? Daft thing should eat me or bury me.

Keep coyotes from dismembering you so your family has something to discover and bury so they can secure closure?

loving typical human attitude, so self centered! When its up to the dog to consider the emotional well-being of your family as a whole you know you hosed up as a person.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If they made the show Lassie and it was a cat then it would just be a 30 minute drama each week about a family who is dealing with the death of their child.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
It would be a show about parental negligence. :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Star Man posted:

My housemate has a tiny yippee poodle that nips at your feet and barks at everything. She also dresses her in dog skirts and puts silk flowers on her ears to make them look like pigtails. I want to do some psychotic butcher poo poo to this dog because I hate it so much.

My aunt's dog (some sort of terrier) used to bark/"scream" any time any sort of human or animal came within like a 100 meter radius of her apartment. It was the most godawful sound, you'd think the dog was dying, and he would do it constantly. It took a lot of self control to keep myself from hitting that dog.

Fortunately he chilled out when he got older and is a cool dog now.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

On one side you have retarded degenerate wolves that got too lazy to hunt and evolved to forage in human trash

On the other you have still functional semi-domesticated predators that can revert back to felis silvestris in a few days

One kind has to be trained in order to fetch dead birds that have been shot by a human, the other can hunt birds on its own

Um, pretty sure "able to survive on their own" applies to literally every non-pack animal and isn't exactly some desirable trait in a pet (unless you plan on abandoning it or something).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 14, 2015

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Cats are gay

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Who What Now posted:

Never before have I seen so many Literal Hitlers in one thread. I hope you dog-lovers are proud of your horribleness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LeJackal posted:

Keep coyotes from dismembering you so your family has something to discover and bury so they can secure closure?

loving typical human attitude, so self centered! When its up to the dog to consider the emotional well-being of your family as a whole you know you hosed up as a person.

Coyotes are a kind of dog so I think dogs are inventing their own problems tbh.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I wouldn't mind if all cats were to die.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

My Imaginary GF posted:

I wouldn't mind if all cats were to die.

Wrap it up, Mr Terrible Opinions has just settled the debate once and for all. Cats own.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Wrap it up, Mr Terrible Opinions has just settled the debate once and for all. Cats own.

Are you French, by any chance?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Are you French, by any chance?

Yes, but what does this have to do with anything?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Yes, but what does this have to do with anything?

Its explains a lot about your admiration for cats. Are you jealous because they can be trained not to piss in the streets?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I have a dog and a cat. They are anipals and it is pretty adorable. Both are equally dumb, affectionate, and playful. The cat just shows its excitement with tearing things apart.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
My pet experience

Hamster - D-
Don't remember the name, it sucked and bit and didn't' play with those fancy hamster toys much and then chewed through them and escaped and died.

Rabbits - D
Took care of one for a summer. Almost braindead and useless but requiring a huge cage. I guess you can eat them but if that's not the plan there is little point.

Beta Fish - B
Tough bastards. We had one in my father's apartment which was a dump and the fish bowl ended up the same way. You could barely see it through the dirty water but it kept going for a long time. Pretty much the minimum work for a pet possible.

Jake the Snake - C
Scared the poo poo out of the neighboring old lady when I walked by carrying it so that was a plus but not much else going on. Only lasted a month. C for the novelty factor. Also requires keeping live food which meant surprisngly disgusting crickets.

Myrtle the Turtle - C
Life routine: Sleep, eat peas (only peas), climb into water bowl take a dump then drink the water. Climb back under cardboard house and repeat tomorrow. The scary things about turtles is that this cycle can repeat for 25+ years. Don't get a turtle unless you want a cold-blooded life long non-friend. Myrtle got donated to a petting zoo that got shut down for mistreating animals.

Browny and Blacky the Rats - B
Rats are the standout small rodent pet. They get super excited when you come home or walk to the cage and love licking your fingers or hands. Never bite and are very clean though they usually die of a horrible huge leg tumor and the males have testicles far closer to your own in size than is comfortable. Get the females.

Molly the Cat - B+
When my father was unemployed and deep in depression the kitten I showed up with one day made a huge difference (after various initial threats of disownment etc.). Though it turned out his physical decline wasn't depression but was undiagnosed lung cancer that killed him a year later. The cat was a great companion in that year though and then moved on to my grandparents where it outlasted my grandmother too. My grandfather says it's a lifesaver to have the cat around in the empty house despite recognizing that it's probably going to outlive him too. With his current back problems, a dog wouldn't be possible. So while it seems to bring death the cat gets pretty high marks as a pet.

Wife - TBD
By the standards of this thread in terms of "ability to show affection" she has that. Though along with those verbal skills comes the ability to show various forms of [not affection] as well, often in larger quantities.

Human Child - ask in a year. I hear mixed reports.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Just get a dog the size of a cat.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PenisMonkey posted:

Just get a dog the size of a cat.

Surprisingly my parents bought two small toy dogs over the past few years and they're basically the best dogs I've ever interacted with, whereas their previous three mid sized dogs were mostly awful. The two beagle mixes were the grossest and most annoying animals I've ever been around and it was a relief when they died. The terrier mix is still alive and not as bad but still really neurotic and annoying most of the time. So I guess sometimes tiny dogs are cool.

The cat at their house is like a spider monkey that mostly lives outside and she's by far the coolest animal out of all of them though

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Cats own, they're just more subtle. You don't hear it called a cat whistle, do you? Check and mate.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chokes McGee posted:

Cats own, they're just more subtle. You don't hear it called a cat whistle, do you? Check and mate.

Just because you ain't ever been catcall'd, don't mean the rest of us ain't

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aesop Poprock posted:

The two beagle mixes were the grossest and most annoying animals I've ever been around and it was a relief when they died.

Beagles are not dogs. They are noses with the minimum required equipment for life support on one end.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Are we still making GBS threads on poodles? Because my half-poodle disagrees.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 16, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You don't take cats with you to war, you leave them home with women.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're a loving idiot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes you do if you're on a ship.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

Are we still making GBS threads on poodles? Because my half-poodle disagrees.

This is a good poodle.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

My Imaginary GF posted:

You can take cats on a ship

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

You can take cats on a ship

We didn't take cats to kill Bin Laden

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

My Imaginary GF posted:

If someone shot a bunch of cats at him, I guarantee that the woukd have surrendered

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

Source please

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

If someone shot a bunch of cats at him, I guarantee that the woukd have surrendered

We didn't want him to surrender, we wanted him dead.

So we sent in the dogs.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Source please

http://nypost.com/2013/04/14/zero-bark-thirty/

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I have never seen any of my cats eat poo poo. However, my dog eats poo poo daily

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

My Imaginary GF posted:

We didn't want him to surrender, we wanted him dead.

So we sent in the dogs.

We could have interrogated him afterwards

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I have never seen any of my cats eat poo poo. However, my dog eats poo poo daily

He eats poo poo AND HE LIKES IT

OORAH GUNNY

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

We could have interrogated him afterwards

We didn't want to sit down and have a conversation with Bin Laden, we wanted him dead.

So we sent in Cairo

Who was a good boy? Who got some? Thats right, Cairo!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

My Imaginary GF posted:

We didn't want to sit down and have a conversation with Bin Laden, we wanted him dead.

So we sent in Cairo

Who was a good boy? Who got some? Thats right, Cairo!

Sure, if you believe the "official" statement

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Dogs are cuter than cats even when in jail.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PenisMonkey posted:

Dogs are cuter than cats even when in jail.

One of the greatest criminal masterminds of our era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My Imaginary GF posted:

Cats are too valuable to risk taking to war, left home with the superior gender. Dogs and men are expendable to an extreme. A good post.

• Locked thread