Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-11-death-health-problems-middle-aged-white.html

quote:

Despite advances in health care and quality of life, white middle-aged Americans have seen overall mortality rates increase over the past 15 years,
representing an overlooked "epidemic" with deaths comparable to the number of Americans who have died of AIDS, according to new Princeton University research.

..This turnaround in mortality reverses decades of progress, the researchers write,
and the same pattern is not seen in other rich countries, nor is it seen among African Americans or Hispanics in the United States.
Although death rates related to drugs, alcohol and suicides have risen for middle-aged whites at all education levels,
the largest increases are seen among those with the least education, the researchers found. For those with a high school degree or less, deaths caused by drug and alcohol poisoning rose fourfold;
suicides rose by 81 percent; and deaths caused by liver disease and cirrhosis rose by 50 percent. All-cause mortality rose by 22 percent for this least-educated group.
Those with some college education saw little change in overall death rates, and those with a bachelor's degree or higher actually saw death rates decline. In terms of lives lost, had the white mortality rate held at its 1998 value, 96,000 lives would have been saved between 1998 and 2013. If it had continued to fall at the rate of decline seen from 1978-1998, 488,500 deaths would have been avoided between 1999 and 2013]. This figure is comparable to the number of deaths caused by the AIDS epidemic in America..

..After 1998, things changed. Death rates among middle-aged white non-Hispanic Americans began to rise at a steady clip of half a percent per year. This turnaround was specific to whites, the researchers found. For non-Hispanic African-Americans and Hispanics in the U.S., mortality rates declined at 2.6 and 1.8 percent per year respectively. Likewise, other rich countries maintained their yearly 2 percent decline..

.."The strongest morbidity effects are seen among those with the least education," Case said.
Psychological distress also shot up in middle-aged white non-Hispanics. The fraction of people showing serious mental illness, measured using one standard yardstick, the Kessler score, rose from 3.9 percent to 4.8 percent between 1997-1999 and 2011-2013, while the fraction of people who said they had difficulty socializing—a risk factor for suicide—rose from 6.3 to 8.7 percent. A larger number of middle-aged Americans reported being unable to work or having difficulty with activities of daily living. These self-reports could help explain the increase in Americans on disability, the researchers write, and indeed the Social Security Administration records also show increased disability associated with musculoskeletal problems and mental health issues.
"With regards to the increase in mental illness, I think it is part and parcel of all of this bad stuff going on," Deaton said. "But if people are drinking and drugging too much, or thinking about killing themselves, it is not so surprising they will report rising mental illness."..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Good

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I would totally gently caress that guy in the jif

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
my privilege says I didn't read a goddamn thing the op posted

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

angerbeet posted:

please don't say jif. it triggers me

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
White people are depressed and resorting to drugs as they watch the world their ancestors built destroyed by OWEBUNGLE :sterv:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Republicans better hurry up and grab the rest of the money before their old white people base dies off and disappears because their replacements killed themselves or drank themselves to death

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
White people are going extinct :toot:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

jackyl posted:

my privilege says I didn't read a goddamn thing the op posted

me too friend

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009

agreed

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I seriously love being white. I've attained my success in life knowing that my white privilege and growing up in an upper middle class family with good morals and values and a system which has benefited the white man also benefited me into a wonderful life.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 11, 2015

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

baby boomers are hitting the mid-60s and thats when poorly educated fatfucks tend to shove off

:toot:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

got it in the first comment

we're done here shut it down

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

MurderBot posted:

I seriously love being white. I've attained my success in life knowing that my white privilege and growing up in an upper middle class family with good morals and values and a system which has benefited the white man also benefited me into a wonderful life.

this looks like a fun game

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

the crazy thing is everyone jokes about the phrase "white privilege" but its like a good ghost story that's REALLY TRUE

the privilege is real and it is coming for you (if you are brown)

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

potee posted:

baby boomers are hitting the mid-60s and thats when poorly educated fatfucks tend to shove off

:toot:

mid-60s is middle aged?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

afeelgoodpoop posted:

mid-60s is middle aged?

No, and that isn't how mortality rates work either

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
What is the guy in the gif saying?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i always knew i was just following my heritage by being hella mentally ill and dirnking myself into an early grave

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i didnt read this very carefully is it still true if you are even somewhat educated the mortality rate held steady and with a college education it actually fell?

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.

thathonkey posted:

i didnt read this very carefully is it still true if you are even somewhat educated the mortality rate held steady and with a college education it actually fell?

Something like that.

"Those with some college education saw little change in overall death rates, and those with a bachelor's degree or higher actually saw death rates decline."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
so just the dumb white people are dying faster? i guess you have to start somewhere :shrug:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
No one evr thinks about the downside of being able to do whatever u want whenever u want: choice paralysis.

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
Huh, so racism isn't real after all.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

quote:

The fraction of people showing serious mental illness, measured using one standard yardstick, the Kessler score, rose from 3.9 percent to 4.8 percent
fraction: yardstick: kessler score: percent

The percent of people showing serious mental illness rose from 3.9 to 4.8 purple monkey dishwasher

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

jet sanchEz posted:

What is the guy in the gif saying?
Privilege, wealth, old boy network.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Profondo Rosso posted:

i always knew i was just following my heritage by being hella mentally ill and dirnking myself into an early grave

europeans have historically been called wine lovers by pretty much every other civilization so yes you are.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

privilege? nah man im from the streets

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

can't wait to graduate college and have all my mental illnesses disappear, gonna be sweet

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

death panel spelling bees are real.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Fart Puzzle posted:

can't wait to graduate college and have all my mental illnesses disappear, gonna be sweet

lmao

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fart Puzzle posted:

Indeed it will - great things await:

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

angerbeet posted:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Indeed it will - great things await:

Where did you get this picture of my graduation party

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
is the guy in the jif white or nah? Not sure if he has privilege or not

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
It's because the wage gap is increasing and class is overtaking race as the discriminant of choice, systemically speaking. Not that they aren't still correlated, but now poor whites are seeing lives closer to those of poor blacks, an increase in racial equality at the lowest income bracket, in a terrible direction.

Er, I mean

Privileged whites, hoarding all the grave space.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I tried to read that but my eyeballs just slid right off the text.

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010

mdm posted:

is the guy in the jif white or nah? Not sure if he has privilege or not

He's a soccer player and he's Portuguese and although he's not a white American, he is technically caucasian and one of the richest athletes in the world so he has privilege and IIRC that .gif is from when he was getting booed by his own fans so he told them to, "Foda se", or "go gently caress yourself", so again, he probably qualifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

MurderBot posted:

who is that in the magic floating cage

• Locked thread