Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Melmac posted:

The most LIEberal state in the union, New York, does not have a state-wide animal abuser registry. In fact, only two parts of NY state does: Albany and Long Island.

Eat poo poo smug hippies.

Government registries are just a conduit for corruption. Guess who is going to maintain the registry? Any bets on the private company that maintains the registry being the only company licensed to maintain the registry, and the ceo of that company being good friends with some legislature?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Powercrazy posted:

Government registries are just a conduit for corruption. Guess who is going to maintain the registry? Any bets on the private company that maintains the registry being the only company licensed to maintain the registry, and the ceo of that company being good friends with some legislature?

Red State 101 bby

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This obviously just means Tennessee has a beastiality / barn animal rape problem that is endemic.

ya'll motherfuckers need JESUS

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
well i always kill my prey beforehand to avoid getting put in the registry. should work the same with this new animal abuse one

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Melmac posted:

1) You can make this argument for literally any crime (having a criminal record makes it harder to get a job, this is nothing new to this particular law)

2) Since animal abusers rarely get jail time, maybe the possible ineligibility to work a decent job will deter them from being a terrible human being.

3) Are there people that previously stomped puppies and drowned kittens who later went on to be reformed and upstanding members of the community?

"I now know that committing violent acts of cruelty towards defenseless companion animals solely for the act of pleasure and not even any monetary gain is WRONG. I was hanging out with the wrong crowd is all."
Making someone unemployable is even more of a punishment to their children and (maybe) spouse than it is to them - the chance of them getting a reasonable education is dashed and they may be forced onto the streets. Maybe in a society that has an actual safety net for such people, you could reasonably call an animal abuse list "progressive", but as stated it's basically further extending the worst sort of capitalist suffering onto that person's family. I don't really want to be friends with any kitten-drowners but I still want the kitten-drowners to be able to provide for their families, even more than I'd like to see kittens not drowned.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Making someone unemployable is even more of a punishment to their children and (maybe) spouse than it is to them - the chance of them getting a reasonable education is dashed and they may be forced onto the streets.

Or resort to a life of crime to pay the bills. When you permanently brand people as worthless scum, they tend to be left with little incentive to reform. Plus, denying people human dignity has never been proven to have any legitimate deterrent effect.

If this registry were available only to those with a solid logical need for it (say, anyone who'd hire people to work with animals or sell/adopt them as pets), then there'd be no problem.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Melmac posted:

3) Are there people that previously stomped puppies and drowned kittens who later went on to be reformed and upstanding members of the community?

"I now know that committing violent acts of cruelty towards defenseless companion animals solely for the act of pleasure and not even any monetary gain is WRONG. I was hanging out with the wrong crowd is all."
\

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Drowning kittens is an important component of controlling the pet population.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

This obviously just means Tennessee has a beastiality / barn animal rape problem that is endemic.

ya'll motherfuckers need JESUS

Actually, it has more to do with cock fighting, though for some reason the state won't make torturing chickens a felony.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Super progressive Tennessee!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_Marriage_Protection_Amendment

81%. Haha. The South is poo poo.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

I dunno

For the New York ones I looked up the Nassau County and Albany County ones and both were run by the government. Not a company.

He's a piece of poo poo but not really comparable to people who torture for fun; he at least had financial incentive. I still hope someone gives him a debilitating spinal injury tho. Yes I am a wishing terrible bodily harm to a :qq: precious human life :qq: and am putting animals above humans or whatever the gently caress someone's going to tell me next.

Cockmaster posted:

Or resort to a life of crime to pay the bills. When you permanently brand people as worthless scum, they tend to be left with little incentive to reform. Plus, denying people human dignity has never been proven to have any legitimate deterrent effect.

If this registry were available only to those with a solid logical need for it (say, anyone who'd hire people to work with animals or sell/adopt them as pets), then there'd be no problem.

I don't put puppies and kittens above humans. I do put them above child molesters, animal abusers, rapists, and murderers though. I unironically get more upset if I hear about a dog or cat being tortured than I do about a child raper being tortured and L O loving L if you don't too.

I also don't get the "resort to a life of crime to pay the bills" thing. Yes you have a point for burglars and home-invaders. What the hell crime is a puppy-stomper going to resort to? Stomping puppies for money? Reforming a thief = understandable. "Reforming" guy who lit cat on fire to watch it die in agony while he masturbates = lol good luck with that. He'd be president of a local Citibank branch if it weren't for "the government" holding him back!

The job market is full of people who DON'T cum when they torture housepets and stay animals. They should be chosen first imho.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Edit: Where in AR did you live, OP? I'm over in Jonesboro.

Little Rock. :toot:

I also lived in Richmond, Virginia for all of 3 months.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm the "progressive" who dislikes capitalism for all the suffering it causes people, except when it's people I don't like and their immediate families, in those cases, it's good. You're a coward. Human lives are more valuable than animal ones, period. Some people abuse animals and manage citibanks already and while I'm not going to hang out with them, I'm not going to hurt their children on purpose either.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

I'm the "progressive" who dislikes capitalism for all the suffering it causes people, except when it's people I don't like and their immediate families, in those cases, it's good. You're a coward. Human lives are more valuable than animal ones, period. Some people abuse animals and manage citibanks already and while I'm not going to hang out with them, I'm not going to hurt their children on purpose either.

"This guy robbed a liquor store at gunpoint. However, we cannot jail him because he will then not be able to provide for little Sarah".

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
What if I stomp a kitten while robbing a liquor store

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
The NFL immediately drafts you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That's my point though - the consequences of this law are a worse life for the abuser and the abuser's family, most of whom don't deserve to have capitalism's worst inflicted on them. If your point is that we should evaluate that harm when considering every prison sentence and not just animal abuse ones, well, I agree. I just think this law makes this one thing worse, and do more harm than good.

Melmac posted:

"This guy robbed a liquor store at gunpoint. However, we cannot jail him because he will then not be able to provide for little Sarah".

Yes, I would, in fact, consider the effect it has on little sarah when selecting a prison sentence for her armed robbery dad.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Human lives are more valuable than animal ones, period.

lol just making sure. This guy:

is more valuable than these guys:

lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

sorry dude sometimes I do a bunch of pushups and go into gbs and I post angry and I just have destroy the OP with uppercuts and spinning backkicks, namaste

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
No problem man. I haven't worked out my gross, sweaty body since Firefly was on the air.

But what I do know is that when most people have a kid, then they get a nice swift kick in the rear end that says "you're an adult now and must provide for your little one", and that usually includes things like no longer buying Star Wars merchandise, reducing the amount of money spent on reckless gambling, working full time, and not doing things that land you on an offender registry.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
If a serial killer used this database in selecting victims and you were on the jury,

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

If a serial killer used this database in selecting victims and you were on the jury,

Juror intimidation is a crime and he'd be unable to seek gainful employment.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

That's my point though - the consequences of this law are a worse life for the abuser and the abuser's family, most of whom don't deserve to have capitalism's worst inflicted on them. If your point is that we should evaluate that harm when considering every prison sentence and not just animal abuse ones, well, I agree. I just think this law makes this one thing worse, and do more harm than good.

first time offenders are only on the list for two years so stfu idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow this thread started out as poo poo and got shittier. Even my lovely threads are better than this.

Piss fart gay cuck

• Locked thread