Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a mate who is into circuit bending children's toys and back in June he played at a family picnic. It somehow got found by some guy on Thump Vice and now it's getting loads of views. It is funny as gently caress, stay for the understanding Grandma, sack race and the cheapest ice-rink you ever will see.

http://thump.vice.com/en_uk/article/guy-plays-dark-experimental-noise-at-a-childrens-event-in-a-park-and-confuses-everyone

quote:

Personally I wouldn't say I'm particularly good with kids. I can entertain them as far as reading the synopses of films out of the Radio Times, or hiding behind my hands before bursting out and shouting "PEEK A BOO" aggressively in their faces, but beyond that I'm never sure quite what it is young children find engaging. As it turns out, from this footage that was circulating around the internet this morning, the answer to that question is not "dark experimental noise." The clip, originally shot back in June, shows artists Jon Watkiss playing a number of modified instruments from the bandstand in Victoria Gardens, Stafford to a crowd made up of three to five year-olds and their parents. It's fair to say they're not really his audience. Shouts out in particular to the Grandma who leans forward to her Grandson and says, "it's sort of a different sort of music isn't it?"

It's also worth noting that Watkiss' experimentation largely consists of circuit bending children's toys. You can practically hear the phone call booking him now:

"So you're a musician but you only use children's toys?"
"Yes!"
"Well that's perfect, head down to the bandstand! Oh, and wear a funny hat..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGAnEwFkXcc

Bit more.....these wusses couldn't take the half hour set and were packing up their stall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCahb8kpGgM

The guy has something called Usher Syndrome and is going deaf and blind, which loving sucks because he is an awesome dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Pretty cool.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

ok

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rondette posted:

Bit more.....these wusses couldn't take the half hour set and were packing up their stall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCahb8kpGgM

To be fair that is the single worst sort of noise for anyone to bang through an amplifier and play loud. Not really surprising.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
at least he doesnt have brandy syndrome. thats the one where you bleed to death after some lady tags you with a car

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

typical millennial with no real talent so he does everything "ironically"

deep down he wishes he could play clarinet

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Sounds like a robot taking a crap.
I like it.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

this music makes me want to enter the matrix and kill myself

The Bible
May 8, 2010

They left because he was playing garbage music that he knew was garbage just to be WAAAAAACKY.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Take that, Usher

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

typical millennial with no real talent so he does everything "ironically"

deep down he wishes he could play clarinet

Think he is a Gen-Xer actually if we're going to do that. Which makes sense too.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's me.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Fedora AND chain wallet.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
But just read the last sentence, now I see he has a built-in excuse.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I went to a show once where the band started playing the feedback. It kind of sucked.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
why do these guys always sit on the floor?

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.

Obligatory Handle posted:

Fedora AND chain wallet.

The edge is so real and I almost cut myself on it.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum

Obligatory Handle posted:

Fedora AND chain wallet.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
What the gently caress is circuit bending children's toys?

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
I think this guy is some sort of pedophile offshoot. You know how some people are really obsessed with feet or something random like that? This guy gets sexual pleasure by 'bending children's toys' and playing them creepy music at the park.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

neat

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i like

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Smoking_Dragon posted:

What the gently caress is circuit bending children's toys?

me, hello.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Baba Ganoush posted:

I think this guy is some sort of pedophile offshoot. You know how some people are really obsessed with feet or something random like that? This guy gets sexual pleasure by 'bending children's toys' and playing them creepy music at the park.

Yeah the fedora is a dead giveaway

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
his music is really bad even for the genre

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer
This is a dumb.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
weird its like, sounds that are only entertaining when youre tripping balls didnt go over well with children at a park? what happened to are kids

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Why wouldn't whoever was in charge of bringing this guy to the party tell him to play something that anyone could enjoy or to gently caress himself and go home?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
sounds more like he's playing a bunch of sounds with pauses in between rather than music ???

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

sorry about your friend

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

don't play halloween spooky sounds in june people

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

All the kiddies lovin' da Bendyman.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
gently caress at least roll with some subwoofage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY099ihULs

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Otisburg posted:

sorry about your friend

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ah, he is awesome, just has very dubious taste in hats and facial hair. I like the fact he doesn't give a gently caress. Probably one of the most memorable shows I've ever seen TBH.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

why do these guys always sit on the floor?

lotta knobs to turn

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This is just experimental. It's not new age dark wave noise experimental.

It's just plain ole 'experimental'. Im sorry if it's not a genre you can call your own, but there you go.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I think it's amazing that we live in an time where people can make music that no one will ever, or want to listen to beyond a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
It's poo poo btw.

• Locked thread