Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master

alcharagia posted:

Persona Q is not a good Persona game or a good Etrian Odyssey game. It is a game with mechanics that defeat each other; for instance the hard cap of 14 Personae when you have to keep a team of 7 outfitted. All of the FOEs are awful HP sinks instead of actually being dangerous. Random encounters are pointless after MAYBE halfway through the second dungeon because Hama and Mudo are flat-out broken. The Inaba Pride Festival is the worst dungeon in the entire Etrian Odyssey series. Persona Q has the best regular boss theme in the series but it only plays three times in the entire game, which is a huge waste. The plot actively has nothing to do with the Persona characters despite it being a Persona crossover. About 2/3 of the characters are exaggerated to the point of complete unlikability. Despite the massive cast there are clear, obvious Right Choices in your party (never use Teddie.) Seriously, the Inaba Pride Festival is straight garbage. Status ailments are shatteringly powerful to the point where you can straight up skip the final boss's gimmick by putting him to sleep on the first turn and he will never try to use it again because his AI routine tells him not to. You in Wonderland and the Clock Tower are pretty bad, and I have a personal distaste for mandatory damage floors in EO games so the Group Date Cafe puts a bad taste in my mouth. The walk-on-the-entire-map mechanic is stupid because it defeats your ability to actually leave well enough alone and stay out of an FOE's way while still mapping out what you can see. Holy gently caress, I hate the Inaba Pride Festival.

I'll fight you on this for however long you want, buster. :colbert:

I had no problems with the festival. In fact, I enjoyed it. And come on, there's like one place in the café where you have to step on a damage tile (later just get anti-damage items). Never use Teddie I will agree with, otherwise I feel youre just overreacting. I at least wasnt bothered by the stuff youre bringing up. And calling the game awful is silly. And while I do appreciate someone who can put into words what they feel is wrong with something, let's not poo poo up this awesome thread.

Feinne posted:

Also on Persona Q I will say I liked some of the ideas they had wrt translating what the characters 'do' to the EO style gameplay. And the pop scare FOEs were almost hilarious enough to justify the whole game.

I mean obviously it's still way down there as far as 3ds SMT games because it's competing with unambiguous amazing games like Record Breaker and SMTIV but what can you do.

Does Record Breaker have any complete dick-move-bullshit bosses like Overclocked? I was really enjoying that game until I got to Beldr and his revival-and-healing-spam. I tried that fight like 10 times and I could only get close, never quite finish him off (the last time I had him down to one hit left, when one of his revived cronies managed to break through and got in a lucky Charm with the side-effect "full heal". I just couldn't take that.

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

Dwarsen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

ManlyGrunting posted:

That would explain you're insane output if you already had 10 updates ready to go.

As a bit of advice for next time, it's a lot better for a creative product if you release updates at a regular time and keep a backlog in case something unforeseen happens and you have to go a while without updating. Trust me, being able to put out content without having to stress out over having to get stuff out right now does wonders for peace of mind.

e: "I give it sexy gaze in case we meet any bronies" got a real laugh out of me, thank you.

I'm pretty sure he's running this LP on two boards at the same time, and this once-a-day thing was solely to catch us up to speed. It should slow down now.

Also, gonna just throw out a thanks for using the siren, it makes finding the videos a lot easier.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

mauman posted:

I'm confused, what do you mean Loki's not fusable?

He's classified as a Tyrant in the game and perfectly fusable.

Digital Jello posted:

I'm...actually not sure if I was ever aware of that. Loki's been in so many SMT games that I always just assumed that somehow, he was accessible in Nocturne. Or maybe I forgot. It's been years since I played this.

Wow, I don't know what I was smoking. My apologies, you guys are completely right. I must have been thinking of some other demon, or some other game. Yikes! Thanks for calling me on it. Man is my face red!

GeneralYeti posted:

I'm pretty sure he's running this LP on two boards at the same time, and this once-a-day thing was solely to catch us up to speed. It should slow down now.

Yup, that is the case. Once I decided to put it up here I couldn't in good conscience continue playing and allow you fine folks to fall further behind. I absolutely understand the advantages of a backlog, but I tend to prefer to interact with my audience as close to the actual game experience as possible. I wish this had been the case here from the start, but if it's any comfort, the Brontoforums people have been on this Ikebukuro cliffhanger for nearly two weeks by now. :3:

FrankZP fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 20, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Dwarsen posted:

Does Record Breaker have any complete dick-move-bullshit bosses like Overclocked? I was really enjoying that game until I got to Beldr and his revival-and-healing-spam. I tried that fight like 10 times and I could only get close, never quite finish him off (the last time I had him down to one hit left, when one of his revived cronies managed to break through and got in a lucky Charm with the side-effect "full heal". I just couldn't take that.

There is a boss conceptually similar to Beldr in the extra story added in Record Breaker (in that only one character can harm the boss) but it doesn't have the revival gimmick as well.

Also Beldr isn't even that annoying compared to some of the later bullshit. There's the whole Kudlak thing, there's Belial, and frankly I found Belzaboul and Jezebel also more annoying.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 20, 2015

Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master

Feinne posted:

There is a boss conceptually similar to Beldr in the extra story added in Record Breaker (in that only one character can harm the boss) but it doesn't have the revival gimmick as well.

Also Beldr isn't even that annoying compared to some of the later bullshit. There's the whole Kudlak thing, there's Belial, and frankly I found Belzaboul and Jezebel also more annoying.

I see. I've been hesitating to get it because of how annoyed I got at Beldr, but if there's no one quite that bad (aside from bonus bosses or whatever) then that makes it more interesting to me.

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Dwarsen posted:

I see. I've been hesitating to get it because of how annoyed I got at Beldr, but if there's no one quite that bad (aside from bonus bosses or whatever) then that makes it more interesting to me.

DS2 in general is a lot less rude than DS1 (I wouldn't even say it's easier mind, just less rude).

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Feinne posted:

DS2 in general is a lot less rude than DS1 (I wouldn't even say it's easier mind, just less rude).

Asking out of curiosity: How exactly is DS1 rude? Besides being forced to grind a bit early game to deal with Wendigo the game actually felt pretty fair to me.
Yeah, the Beldr fight was a bit gimmicky and I lost it the first time around, but once you figured out the gimmick itself it wasn't actually that bad IMO.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Apepresident posted:

Asking out of curiosity: How exactly is DS1 rude? Besides being forced to grind a bit early game to deal with Wendigo the game actually felt pretty fair to me.
Yeah, the Beldr fight was a bit gimmicky and I lost it the first time around, but once you figured out the gimmick itself it wasn't actually that bad IMO.

The stuff with Kudlak and Kresnik for one, and three movement characters. It's just a lot of little things honestly.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Huh, I would generally argue in favour of skipping skill changes to keep Bright or Dark Might over their more general-use cousin. While you are absolutely correct about Might being more applicable at all Kagutsuchi phases, the reality of it for me was that random encounters in this game, even among other Megaten titles, are far less liable to kill you than boss fights. In some cases, the boss fights were tough enough that the exploitation of Bright/Dark Might seemed at least as worthy of consideration as grinding out a more suitable party.

I don't mean to criticize your choice of play, of course. I just like the strategy discussion content of the LP and am curious to know what you think concerning whether or not an exploitable mechanic ought to be considered in a game or series like this reputed for its unforgiving nature.

Maybe if you get Bright Might again, you could show it off in the future fight with Ongyo-Ki, where the full Kagutsuchi phase is relevant to the survivability of that battle for other reasons.

Anyway, looking forward to the next bit, not necessarily because of what is happening in the immediate future, but because you're going to come up on the second awesome and terrifying boss fight in this early game:

It's SHOWTIME!!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah that boss is definitely a bit more threatening, since you are much less able to steal all his press turns just by having the right demons/magatama.

EDIT:

Nocturne's got a bit of an odd thing where you can really tell that ATLUS was still feeling out what they could do with the PS2. There are a few really cool fights (and those are the ones you remember) but the boss fight design just isn't very inspired for the most part. Maniax helped a bit of course but also brought us some fights with gimmicks that more annoy than challenge (as we'll see later).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 21, 2015

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

ModeWondershot posted:

Huh, I would generally argue in favour of skipping skill changes to keep Bright or Dark Might over their more general-use cousin. While you are absolutely correct about Might being more applicable at all Kagutsuchi phases, the reality of it for me was that random encounters in this game, even among other Megaten titles, are far less liable to kill you than boss fights. In some cases, the boss fights were tough enough that the exploitation of Bright/Dark Might seemed at least as worthy of consideration as grinding out a more suitable party.

I don't mean to criticize your choice of play, of course. I just like the strategy discussion content of the LP and am curious to know what you think concerning whether or not an exploitable mechanic ought to be considered in a game or series like this reputed for its unforgiving nature.

I have to admit there's a tiny little voice deep inside of me that says "it's broken, don't use it". But the fact of the matter is, you make excellent points, Bright Might is in the game for a reason, and if it hadn't transformed, I would have kept it and used it. I gambled twice in hopes that some other skill would upgrade because on some level I was still okay with not having it, and I lost twice. That's pretty much all there is to it, heheh.

Feinne posted:

Nocturne's got a bit of an odd thing where you can really tell that ATLUS was still feeling out what they could do with the PS2. There are a few really cool fights (and those are the ones you remember) but the boss fight design just isn't very inspired for the most part. Maniax helped a bit of course but also brought us some fights with gimmicks that more annoy than challenge (as we'll see later).

Yeah, Nocturne's got its share of pain-in-the-rear end bosses, and there's definitely a bunch that I'm not looking forward to fighting in the least. Matador was pretty rough, but once you know what to expect he's not nearly as aggravating as some of his colleagues. Unevenness is usually the price for being so experimental; for every aspect that's sublime, you have another that risks coming off feeling half-baked.

Still, I'd take that over the boss battles in SMT1, where it feels like 95% of them are vulnerable to Shock or Freeze or both and you can keep them perpetually locked down without even trying. :D

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Update 11: Intermission the First

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Showtime isn't the soundtrack that plays in Dante's first appearance. It's the track that plays after you fight him, for some reason. The one that plays when we first see him is different, track 6 on the smaller soundtrack disc that came with the game. Not sure what it's called.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Huh, that's correct. Well, it's the same base melody, or very similar, but the instrumentation and arrangement are different. (Yeah, on further listening it's that organ part that messed me up.) I never noticed! You got a sharp ear, mang.

I'm beginning to regret that moment just before I was born when I decided to put all my skill points into the "making ghost fart jokes" skill.

FrankZP fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 21, 2015

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Just wanted to pipe in and say you're doing a great job on the LP! It inspired me to start playing Nocturne again for a bit, and after reading through your LPs of the previous two games I played a bit of SMT2 for the first time out of a sense of masochism and curiosity. That and I'm kinda curious to see how your downward spiral in the LP could have been avoided. Not entirely sure if I'll continue, though, because the age for the UI shows. Still, though, keep up the good work! Normally I hate narrative LPs like this, but your SMT and Dr. Fetus's Etrian Odyssey LPs are the exception!

As for my own experiences with Nocturne, I remember I stopped playing shortly after fusing Daisoujou and right around when a group of optional Fiends showed up. I think I was maybe past the halfway point?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Piping in as well to say you're doing a great job with this LP so far. I, too, have played Nocturne more than is reasonable for a human being who needs to also hold down a job and social obligations.

It's also neat to consider what Atlus tried with SMT3 that they improved upon in later titles. While demon negotiation is pretty much fixed no matter how you answer questions in this game (either the RNG doesn't continually seed on a per-frame basis, or it's just decided when you start) this changes in their other negotiation-using PS2 title, Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. In that game, each demon species has an assigned personality (i.e. Old Man, Old Woman, Child, Punk, etc.) and this personality adjusts the weights of your answers to their questions. Also nice in that game is the fact you can ask for an item or recruit with the same talk skill. Even better, if you successfully negotiate a recruit with a demon but your party is full, the demon will depart but remember your successful attempt and will join you without hassle next time you have space in your party and Talk again. It's saved my rear end on a number of occasions!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Neurion posted:

Piping in as well to say you're doing a great job with this LP so far. I, too, have played Nocturne more than is reasonable for a human being who needs to also hold down a job and social obligations.

It's also neat to consider what Atlus tried with SMT3 that they improved upon in later titles. While demon negotiation is pretty much fixed no matter how you answer questions in this game (either the RNG doesn't continually seed on a per-frame basis, or it's just decided when you start) this changes in their other negotiation-using PS2 title, Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. In that game, each demon species has an assigned personality (i.e. Old Man, Old Woman, Child, Punk, etc.) and this personality adjusts the weights of your answers to their questions. Also nice in that game is the fact you can ask for an item or recruit with the same talk skill. Even better, if you successfully negotiate a recruit with a demon but your party is full, the demon will depart but remember your successful attempt and will join you without hassle next time you have space in your party and Talk again. It's saved my rear end on a number of occasions!

Just one of many reasons Raidou vs King Abbadon is the best SMT game.

And even if you don't agree with that statement I challenge anyone to dispute that the duel with Geiren isn't the best boss fight in SMT period.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Just wanted to pipe in and say you're doing a great job on the LP! It inspired me to start playing Nocturne again for a bit, and after reading through your LPs of the previous two games I played a bit of SMT2 for the first time out of a sense of masochism and curiosity. That and I'm kinda curious to see how your downward spiral in the LP could have been avoided. Not entirely sure if I'll continue, though, because the age for the UI shows. Still, though, keep up the good work! Normally I hate narrative LPs like this, but your SMT and Dr. Fetus's Etrian Odyssey LPs are the exception!

As for my own experiences with Nocturne, I remember I stopped playing shortly after fusing Daisoujou and right around when a group of optional Fiends showed up. I think I was maybe past the halfway point?

Yeah, the Super Famicom SMTs have aged rather poorly, I'm afraid. The second is less clunky than the first, but in other regards it felt super disjointed, and the grind finished derailing me completely. The first held itself together better in terms of narrative and setting, but even towards then end the fighting really really started wearing me out. Four enemy encounters every three steps is rarely my idea of a good time. As for whether the point you're mentioing is the halfway point, it's been too long since I've played, I really couldn't tell you. I guess we'll see! :3

Neurion posted:

Huh, that sounds like long-overdue convenience. If I do another SMT-related game it'll probably be Digital Devil Saga (well, pair of games, then), but I'm still being tempted. That's a long way off though, heh.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Update 12: Texas Justice

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Don't join Gozu, that slave woman he has creeps me the gently caress out.

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 24, 2015

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Work for Gozu-Tennoh, why not?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Don't join up with Gozu-Tennoh. Not only did his chief subordinate beat up our friend like 20 minutes ago, but to be honest he seems like the type who would totally stab us in the back if it meant gaining even more power.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Don't join.. Joining ranks with power-hungry demons seems like a bad idea, even if we are able to spar with Dante.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Survival of the fittest is not a real system of government and they treat the manikins like poo poo. Tell him to gently caress off.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Double Plus Undead posted:

Survival of the fittest is not a real system of government and they treat the manikins like poo poo. Tell him to gently caress off.

Gotta love a political argument in a JRPG. Don't join.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Hm, should I team up with a band of violent slavers who sentenced me to execution by boss rush, tough decision.
(Decline the offer)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Don't join Gozu-Tennoh, both he and his gang seems to be a bunch of wankers and I think we are better off as a free agent.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

placid saviour posted:

Gotta love a political argument in a JRPG. Don't join.

I guess I did come off a little intense, sorry. But they're still dicks!

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Boy, that went a hell of a lot better than the last time a protag fought Thor.

So, now you have Narukami. Yuu Narukami cameo?

I happened to play this game before any game in the DMC series. I was surprised the Ebony and Ivory look and sound so powerful here, but in their own series they're like pff pff pff pff. Incidentally, E&I do have one special thing about them. They're physical, but they cost MP instead of HP.

Don't join.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Montegoraon posted:

So, now you have Narukami. Yuu Narukami cameo?

This game came out before Persona 4, and waaay before the P4 anime gave the protag that name.

Narukami is a Japanese god of thunder and lightning. Yuu's primary element is lightning, so they gave him that name too as a reference.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Tarezax posted:

This game came out before Persona 4, and waaay before the P4 anime gave the protag that name.

Narukami is a Japanese god of thunder and lightning. Yuu's primary element is lightning, so they gave him that name too as a reference.

It was also the name of the fourth-tier multi-target spell in P4. Until Golden changed it because, well, ya know...

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Tarezax posted:

No, I meant give him a cameo. P4 is everywhere, it seems.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Don't Join just so we can murder him when he inevitably gets pissy at us and drink up that sweet sweet XPs.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

decline since the only good mantra demons were in another game.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I don't particularly care what we do so long as we don't lose our Pixie friend and we aren't prevented from reaching our goals. That being said, following orders is stupid so don't join up.

Speaking of, I'm doing my best to keep track of who's in what monster. Right now Pixie's in Unicorn and the best wingman Shikigami is in Bicorn, right?

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Montegoraon posted:

No, I meant give him a cameo. P4 is everywhere, it seems.

While I'm aware of the series' fundamentals (can't help but absorb some of it even if only through social osmosis), I've never actually played or seen played any Persona game (*gasp!*) so I probably wouldn't be able to do justice to a proper cameo. :3

GeneralYeti posted:

Speaking of, I'm doing my best to keep track of who's in what monster. Right now Pixie's in Unicorn and the best wingman Shikigami is in Bicorn, right?

Pixie's still in Unicorn, and Shikigami was in Bicorn, so now he's in Incubus, which is to say, still a wingman. It's just a phase, he'll grow out of it! I'll probably post a family tree in an intermission one of these days.

In other news, i wasn't sure how long I'd leave the question open, but I think I'm seeing a trend here, so I'm giving it until the end of the day, then I'll get started on the next update.

FrankZP fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 25, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Don't Join. The nature of the mantra means we would kill this rear end in a top hat anyway, so why be his lackey beforehand? :unsmigghh:

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Don't join. Gozu seems like the kind of demon who would off you as soon as you start to become a threat to him.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Alright, the people have spoken, and the question is settled. I'll get started on update-crafting momentarily!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So how possible/viable is it to build the Demi-Fiend like he appears in the bonus battle in Digital Devil Saga?

E: to clarify, him and his party?

• Locked thread