Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
This was my first Atlus game and my introduction to the entire SMT franchise.
Never got around to really finish it though. Guess now's the time to play along to this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

ModeWondershot posted:

Though I have seen it happen with other demons, this may be the first instance of my seeing a Will-O-The-Wisp joining the party at the start. You'll have to say if he is worth using in any capacity.

Will O'Wisp is pretty handy early on since you get super early access to Riberama. So if you ever feel like you need to grind than that skill alone is going to save you some time.
Other than that he's normally sitting on the bench due to his weakness to pretty much every sort of magic in the game which easily ruins random encounters.
He can be fused into nice demons though.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

dasmause posted:

Well, you can only savescum so much to find a point at which the game decided that you're not good enough to get a demon
I guess you could save before each negotiation attempt

Speaking of save-scumming, I wonder if it's possible to get stat boosts from magatamas on every level up

I don't think that all of them have that option. Some can just heal you up or apply some debuffs AFAIK.
You could save-scum it to min-max this game to hell and back but that's going to cost you a looooooot of time.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

mauman posted:

All I ask is that you keep your original pixie with you (evolved forms count). She deserves that much from us.

I always found her to be my one lone companion and friend in this game, since the game actually tried to give her some personality at least at the beginning.

Please don't fuse her :ohdear:

I'm not saying that you actually have to use her of course once she's outclassed (though she's never entirely useless since you can use her mp to heal a little out of combat).

Well fusing her isn't actually that big of a problem: You do get her back once a certain thing happens
Otherwise she's just going to eat up an entire spot for 4/5 of the game, which is actually kinda painful.

FrankZP posted:

Certain demons can turn into other demons once they reach a specific level. They can even end up with a new level slightly higher than your main character's, as is the case here with this level 10 ally compared to our level 8 hero. The demon's stats change to the new demon's standard stats without taking into account the bonuses they picked for themselves while leveling up, but they do retain all their skills, and will start learning their new form's skills as they keep gaining experience. [/url]
The interesting thing about the evolution of demons is that it not only requires your demon to reach a specific level but also your character has to reach a certain level.
You would think that the MC would need a higher level than the demon (since otherwise those beasts wouldn't follow you) but interestingly enough, that's never the case.

FrankZP posted:

Skill inheritance has a number of random and obscure rules, but the biggest one to keep in mind is that many skills have special requirements that depend on the new demon's actual body. For example, a demon with no claws cannot inherit Feral Claw, a demon with no mouth cannot inherit Ice Breath, and so on and so forth. Other than that, skill inheritance re-rolls every time you quit out of the process and return to it, so you can try as much as you want, though it can get very time consuming if you're looking for a specific build. Low-tier skills also have a bigger chance to be passed down than higher-tier skills, so if an ingredient has both Dia and Diarahan, it might take a lot of re-rolling to get the latter.
Jesus Christ, that entire system was a lot more complex than I originally thought!
Makes me appreciate the changes for SMT 4 even more

Though keeping "Claw" and "Breath" skills to demons with claws or mouths respectively makes a lot of sense. So actually good job on the continuity front there Atlus!

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Going physical is pretty much the best choice in this game. The potential damage output is insane and since there's no concentrate/mind charge but instead only focus/power charge, it's going to sky rocket even further.
It's kinda sad how outclassed the physical builds are by the magical build in like 90% of the SMT series.

The Nozuchi/Uzume line up is the same one I use at this point in the game. I think they're both amongst the best choices for what's going to happen next.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Oh Matador you handsome devil.
His innate agility stat is enough to dodge every second attack of yours but no, he has to have an ability that instantly MAXES his agility.
Meaning he can go from the lowest point of -4 to the highest point of +4 (in terms of buffs and debuffs).
For comparison: Every other buff/debuff the player has access to can at most do a +/-2 change while Red Capote can go up to +8 :/

I always like to get Momonfou as the fourth demon, since his Physical resistance is a saving grace and he has a nice damage output (once you finally dealt with that agility problem mentioned earlier)

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Dwarsen posted:

Matador was the point where I threw the towel straight at Lucifer's face and gave up. That rear end in a top hat just blindsides you completely and wrecks your poo poo without even breaking a sweat.

The fight really shows why SMT games seem to be considered to be complete bullshit.

...I still like the side games though, like Digital Devil Saga, Soul Hackers and the Persona series.

You could give SMT4 a try. Plays a lot more like DDS IMO.
Plus it's a lot less punishing than Nocturne (don't lose if MC dies, chance to "buy back into the game). So in terms of difficulty it's somewhere between DDS and Persona I'd say.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I always enjoyed getting to use the bosses in my party. They weren't always the best at their roles for when you could get them, but it's the principle of the thing.

Why yes, Red Capote is exactly as broken for you as it is for when you fight Matador, why do you ask?
Right, completely forgot that this was actually a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Feinne posted:

DS2 in general is a lot less rude than DS1 (I wouldn't even say it's easier mind, just less rude).

Asking out of curiosity: How exactly is DS1 rude? Besides being forced to grind a bit early game to deal with Wendigo the game actually felt pretty fair to me.
Yeah, the Beldr fight was a bit gimmicky and I lost it the first time around, but once you figured out the gimmick itself it wasn't actually that bad IMO.

• Locked thread