Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trogdor_666
Mar 12, 2010
how do you get those npc henchmen they added?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdor_666
Mar 12, 2010
what the hell, you need t1 stone to make t2 stone... i thought needing t2 mats to make higher was bad enough lol.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Yeah. The only things you use stone for are buildings and demolition hammers though. So instead of putting t1 stone into buildings separately, they just rolled it into the refining process.

E: Speaking of which, you only need stone for buildings now.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The crafting system doesn't make sense as far as what items you make when in some cases, but actually harvesting mat isn't that bad, and anything you make and don't want another goon can use, or just put it on the market. I made boat loads of silver in the summer alpha by just selling random things I collected, it adds up quite quickly. The premium benefits actually feel really quite good, without being pay to win at all. I think if people enjoy AO, they won't mind paying $4.80 in gold, or if they're craft (har har) they wont have an issue gathering enough silver to get premium for free.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Kylra posted:

Armor skills are divided up between light, medium, or heavy. And with cloth, leather and plate subvariants of each. Light/medium/heavy have different skills and specializations. Light is damage and energy, medium is cc/utility/speed, heavy is tanking. Cloth/leather/plate basically only determines the magic/phys resistance proportions.

That's actually a lot better variety than it was last alpha with the extra damage, it *should* mean though that if you go full pve gear that you're going to get stomped by pvp gear a lot more easily which is pretty cool for having to make more meaningful choices

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So how do personal islands work? Can I feasibly have my own area to mess around and build up or are you forced to use a guild plot if you're part of a guild? Is there some sort of maintenance for personal island stuff or is it just a cool thing you can get access to?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

How does alliance stuff work?

A couple friends and I (all longtime SA members) are looking to get into this game and we'd like to strike it out as our own small operation acting syergistically with the larger goon guild/clan/thing.

Any precedent for that? We can work it out later once the game gets going, but we're the planning type and it'd be nice to have a business plan laid out, see, before we start the shenanigans for real.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

DNK posted:

A couple friends and I (all longtime SA members) are looking to get into this game and we'd like to strike it out as our own small operation acting syergistically with the larger goon guild/clan/thing.

Any precedent for that? We can work it out later once the game gets going, but we're the planning type and it'd be nice to have a business plan laid out, see, before we start the shenanigans for real.

there's a silver fee per 30d per member of an alliance that grows exponentially for each member guild iirc so you'd likely have to chip in for that.

as far as working out what exactly it is yall wanna do, we could arrange a time to chat about it. we got a discord channel if you wanna hop in and chat?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

SumYungGui posted:

Everything has probably changed but last time holy staff was my favorite weapon because it had a nuke and a heal all in one for basically zero downtime between fights. Probably something more :spergin:-efficient but I liked it. No idea what's going on now.

holy staff is pretty fun. trying to level up a different mage line during the stress test to see if it's more fun than holy staff though.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Sunber posted:

That's actually a lot better variety than it was last alpha with the extra damage, it *should* mean though that if you go full pve gear that you're going to get stomped by pvp gear a lot more easily which is pretty cool for having to make more meaningful choices
They aren't divided between pvp and pve. They're all useful for different things in both pve and pvp. There is no real "full pve gear" anymore.

Dirk the Average posted:

So how do personal islands work? Can I feasibly have my own area to mess around and build up or are you forced to use a guild plot if you're part of a guild? Is there some sort of maintenance for personal island stuff or is it just a cool thing you can get access to?
You can have your own, but you're going to use the guild island because you don't want to build it all up by yourself. Your personal island is more for farming purposes, which are used to feed crafting stations so you can make stuff.

DNK posted:

You can defend other alliance members' territories or attack for them. It's also a permission group like "guild members" for buildings and chests.

I sent you a PM about the rest.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kylra posted:

Smite and holy staff is still pretty similar to alpha. Nature got a huge overhaul. Right now holy is more of single burst heal which makes it more of a duo to 5 group weapon, while nature excels more at throughput spread over multiple people lending it more to 4 person or larger groups with more area heals and regens.

Battleaxe I think is the other major healing option, but it's basically just vampirism tank style healing.

Is the DoT on nature still crap?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

2DCAT posted:

Is the DoT on nature still crap?
Basically. It's a marginal increase over autoattacks unless you spread it on a bunch of people and aren't getting hit. But you can theoretically get a few times the healing throughput of holy with nature staff if you have enough hurt targets.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Oh dangit. I'm downloading it.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Kylra posted:

They aren't divided between pvp and pve. They're all useful for different things in both pve and pvp. There is no real "full pve gear" anymore.

I was meaning if someone went full damage and regen so that they could pve the most efficiently they'd get destroyed by anyone with CC and tank

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Kylra posted:

Smite and holy staff is still pretty similar to alpha. Nature got a huge overhaul. Right now holy is more of single burst heal which makes it more of a duo to 5 group weapon, while nature excels more at throughput spread over multiple people lending it more to 4 person or larger groups with more area heals and regens.

Battleaxe I think is the other major healing option, but it's basically just vampirism tank style healing.

Depends on how you spec it, Holy 1h is 1 reforge (120s) away from being either spam heals or pretty significant dps for a healer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FireWhizzle posted:

Depends on how you spec it, Holy 1h is 1 reforge (120s) away from being either spam heals or pretty significant dps for a healer.

nerd

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Sunber posted:

I was meaning if someone went full damage and regen so that they could pve the most efficiently they'd get destroyed by anyone with CC and tank
You don't get a ton of regen without actually getting a healing weapon, and then you're not really full damage. And tanks make better use of their natural regen. I don't think it quite goes rock, paper, scissors for 1v1 if that's what you mean. Damage or tank options seem like they would probably win out over CC, and DPS might have a bit of an edge over tank. This hasn't been extensively examined yet though. We've only had 6-7 days of looking at it.

FireWhizzle posted:

Yeah, but I meant to just compare healing there.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
In other news beans are pretty easy to grow for leveling nonleather/nonhealer ~

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

FireWhizzle posted:

:gary: :gizz:

spacemarine1999
Nov 26, 2013

The memory
of this experience
will fade
I can't make it this time guys, but pls do share some stories! Looking forward to it. Oh, and nice OP.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

DNK posted:

So I'm going to ask, but it might be possible for independent goon groups to have channels on our discord maybe. We encourage goons who want to form their own groups to do so but be in alliance with us so we can still do stuff together easily and help each other.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

spacemarine1999 posted:

I can't make it this time guys, but pls do share some stories! Looking forward to it. Oh, and nice OP.

I hit some rocks, then some trees, then some different trees. Then I hit foxes and homeless people. Then I took everything I hit and turned it into different poo poo.

Loving every minute of it. That's my story.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Literally don't kill T1-3 mobs for fame.

Go to yellow, kill T4, cap fame in 5 minutes.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

So I'm going to ask, but it might be possible for independent goon groups to have channels on our discord maybe. We encourage goons who want to form their own groups to do so but be in alliance with us so we can still do stuff together easily and help each other.
It's possible, but we probably aren't really going to hang out there in mass. It's more of an embassy than a place for all of an allied guild's members to hang out. We use it because a lot of other guild leaders are in the public discord for AO and can easily click over to check messages from us in more extended discussions. And without us having to mess with our mumble or slack permissions/passwords.

Trogdor_666
Mar 12, 2010
what do you think the best pvp armor for a caster is gonna be?

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Trogdor_666 posted:

To receive the answer to that you must first narfle the garthok

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Trogdor_666 posted:

The answer is it depends.

Trogdor_666
Mar 12, 2010
on the phase of the moon ?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

FireWhizzle posted:

Literally don't kill T1-3 mobs for fame.

Go to yellow, kill T4, cap fame in 5 minutes.

like, literally

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Trogdor_666 posted:

on the phase of the moon ?
Whether it's more useful to be straight dps, be faster, have more CC resist, or just be more tanky.

It seems to me like Light will probably be the most reliably winner for various situations though. You can always use more DPS. It's hard to say at this point though.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

finndo did you check your spam yet?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Did we check if we can get a guild island on "landlocked" (deep red) cities?

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
What the hell is up withthe armor tiers now? One goes plate -> cloth -> leather

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

tyrelhill posted:

What the hell is up withthe armor tiers now? One goes plate -> cloth -> leather

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I signed up for a pack via Blazing Zero's referral link, or at least I think I did? I deleted my cookies and then clicked the link and signed up/bought a pack

anyway, here's my referral link: https://albiononline.com/?ref=WGWGSWX4RG

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

You can update me to 2/10 referrals.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

I signed up for a pack via Blazing Zero's referral link, or at least I think I did? I deleted my cookies and then clicked the link and signed up/bought a pack

anyway, here's my referral link: https://albiononline.com/?ref=WGWGSWX4RG

it took and i added you

e: done, ruggan

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 13, 2015

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

where are forges videos anyway

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

on the forums in the general section :)