Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How did they not know? I can throw a rock and hit them.
This poll is closed.
Hormel knew 165 6.90%
Live pigs piled high 123 5.14%
Hormel lied, living pigs died 127 5.31%
Living high on the hog 106 4.43%
:cool: 79 3.30%
Whose the rat 78 3.26%
No seriously who is the rat 74 3.09%
End video taping NOW!! 2015 75 3.14%
lol 65 2.72%
rofl 68 2.84%
lmao 68 2.84%
brb 62 2.59%
hth 63 2.63%
lmbo 70 2.93%
heh 62 2.59%
meh 65 2.72%
feh 66 2.76%
teh 77 3.22%
:razz: 95 3.97%
Hormel is good and COOL 92 3.85%
Hormel is bad and UNCOOL 102 4.26%
Ima Borat vary naice 135 5.64%
Trump 2016 116 4.85%
Trump 2016 120 5.02%
Goku 239 9.99%
Total: 467 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

bradzilla posted:

Made it to 35 seconds :smithicide:

You definitely don't want to skip ahead to 2:53 then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

how about a less opinion screaming source

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2015/1112/Video-reveals-completely-unacceptable-treatment-of-pigs-by-Hormel-supplier

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Even the Christians hate mistreatment of pigs.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

our Hormel plant has one of its water towers like a huge can of chili. I get hungry just driving by

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Microwaves Mom posted:

Even the Christians hate mistreatment of pigs.

its a strange website, because despite its name, it is very consistent and one of the most neutral news sources ive ever read, and they often have really interesting poo poo thats cool to read. apparently 100 years ago it was founded by a "christian scientist" but the only remaining vestigial appears to be some kind of bare minimum requirement to include one religious article a day which I have yet to ever see. welp hope you read CSM from now on fellow goon

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

1gnoirents posted:

its a strange website, because despite its name, it is very consistent and one of the most neutral news sources ive ever read, and they often have really interesting poo poo thats cool to read. apparently 100 years ago it was founded by a "christian scientist" but the only remaining vestigial appears to be some kind of bare minimum requirement to include one religious article a day which I have yet to ever see. welp hope you read CSM from now on fellow goon

I would, but I don't read. Words make my head hurt.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
lmao I never knew this but apparently in 1990 a critically acclaimed movie came out declaring how terrible it is working for Hormel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Dream_%28film%29

It has a 100% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes lol

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

1gnoirents posted:

They also are forbidden from advertising modern medicine or coffins in their print edition.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
good checkbox poll voted 5

also i had a cobb salad with bacon for lunch and it was delish

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Melmac posted:

lmao I never knew this but apparently in 1990 a critically acclaimed movie came out declaring how terrible it is working for Hormel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Dream_%28film%29

It has a 100% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes lol

Growing up in the strike days, Hormel hosed everybody in Southern Minnesota. To building a new plant in Albert Lea for less wages to having a brand new plant being separated to lower wages and union bust, Hormel is the pinnacle of gently caress you got mine. It's too bad too, when it was family owned it actually was on of the best businesses out there.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
These videos are making me hungry for some ham.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Nigmaetcetera posted:

They also are forbidden from advertising modern medicine or coffins in their print edition.

lol wat. ironic considering they cover developments in modern medicine (and lots and lots of science that directly "opposes" general Christianity). frankly, I dont get their deal overall, but its a good source

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

poo poo, made me hungry just thinkin about it

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

lol wat. ironic considering they cover developments in modern medicine (and lots and lots of science that directly "opposes" general Christianity). frankly, I dont get their deal overall, but its a good source

christian scientists are forbidden from using modern medicine just because when their dumb religion was founded modern medicine was barely better than placebo, and they compared all medications to opium (referred to as "soothing syrops" by mary baker eddy iirc)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Urgh this has really bummed me out :( the meat industry is so hosed up.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Nigmaetcetera posted:

christian scientists are forbidden from using modern medicine just because when their dumb religion was founded modern medicine was barely better than placebo, and they compared all medications to opium (referred to as "soothing syrops" by mary baker eddy iirc)

Sounds like the poor folks need a reformation.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.
I used to collect roundworms for a University of Wisconsin laboratory. They paid me to drive 250 miles (lol) to Austin MN to join the disassembly line at a Hormel plant. Then I would pinch pig guts looking for worms. If I found any, I would rip open the guts and put the worms in a bag and drive 250 miles back.

There were a lot of worms, sometimes. Like 300 huge, writhing worms in one small intestine. And they would just use the wormy intestines for sausage and hot dog casings like it was nothing. YUM.

I was never on the killing floor but I saw the pigs immediately after they were strung up hanging by their feet. Thousands of pigs dangling from a rail like shirts at a dry cleaner in Hell. The first thing they do is peel their eyelids off. I definitely saw a few that were still twitching after all that.

Yeah, don't eat grocery store pork.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Jesse Ventura posted:

I used to collect roundworms for a University of Wisconsin laboratory. They paid me to drive 250 miles (lol) to Austin MN to join the disassembly line at a Hormel plant. Then I would pinch pig guts looking for worms. If I found any, I would rip open the guts and put the worms in a bag and drive 250 miles back.

There were a lot of worms, sometimes. Like 300 huge, writhing worms in one small intestine. And they would just use the wormy intestines for sausage and hot dog casings like it was nothing. YUM.

I was never on the killing floor but I saw the pigs immediately after they were strung up hanging by their feet. Thousands of pigs dangling from a rail like shirts at a dry cleaner in Hell. The first thing they do is peel their eyelids off. I definitely saw a few that were still twitching after all that.

that sounds metal as gently caress

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
haha stop eating pork? nah i have no self control and im proud of it

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

high speed slaughter is going to be the name of my new band

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jesse Ventura posted:

yep. one thing muslims/jews get right is not eating pork.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Why don't y'all take all this stuff about supporting this kind of thing and tell it to the government because most people just assume the fda does it's fuckin job most of the time

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

that sounds metal as gently caress

I would wear my Pig Destroyer shirt to work, lol

e: ^^ the FDA is really good at shutting down small-scale alternatives to this poo poo. Not so good at actually regulating the bloody clusterfuck that is the mainstream meat industry

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

radiatinglines posted:

Why don't y'all take all this stuff about supporting this kind of thing and tell it to the government because most people just assume the fda does it's fuckin job most of the time

I wish I worked for the FDA those guys seem to have the easiest jobs alive as they gently caress up all the time and don't do their job and still get paid with no consequences.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Microwaves Mom posted:

I wish I worked for the FDA those guys seem to have the easiest jobs alive as they gently caress up all the time and don't do their job and still get paid with no consequences.

actually they do their job--their job is specifically to get paid not to do anything of consequence (unless it's some small time thing that threatens big time thing)

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I look forward to Hormel joining the pantheon of Bad Corporations like Du Pont and Halliburton which get rattled off whenever EA gets nominated for Worst Corporation in America

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

radiatinglines posted:

Some states have literally passed laws making it illegal to film in slaughterhouses.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

actually they do their job--their job is specifically to get paid not to do anything of consequence (unless it's some small time thing that threatens big time thing)

yeah the govt drones are just lazy its not like business spend billions a year lobbying to get funding and resources taken away from groups like the FDA yup every last one just sits around all day watch netflix

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
*vein pops out of skull* BUT BUT MONSANTO!!!!!!!!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i dont care lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Robo Reagan posted:

yeah the govt drones are just lazy its not like business spend billions a year lobbying to get funding and resources taken away from groups like the FDA yup every last one just sits around all day watch netflix

thats basically what i meant. they as collectively as an agency. lobbyists and poo poo pay for them to do nothing of consequence besides the occasional wet fart that they don't care about

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nigmaetcetera posted:

a lot of medications in the mid 1800s were opium

it was like, you could have patent remedies that did nothing, or actively made you worse because they were super strong laxatives and making GBS threads your guts out isn't helpful for most illnesses, or were plain poisons like mercury

or you could have your doctor whip you up a batch of opium plus cocaine in alcohol, which at least made you feel a lot better before you died

It's pretty ironic that christian science was started in 1875 just as the various discoveries of the scientific era were slowly being put together into the beginnings of modern medicine.

Microwaves Mom posted:

Sounds like the poor folks need a reformation.
they hardly exist anymore

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
why do you have to be anti-meat to be a vegetarian? let us do our vicious pig killing in peace ffs

Synthetic Violence
Oct 18, 2012

Fuck machine.
Grimey Drawer

Microwaves Mom posted:

You definitely don't want to skip ahead to 2:53 then.

:smithicide:

gently caress me

Not eating bacon for the foreseeable future.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Klyith posted:

Your pork chops might have been slapped around a bit before they got a stun bolt to the brain.

Then they got cut and portioned by minimum wage immigrants working on a factory line that moves so fast it's like something from that I Love Lucy sketch, where stoppage time is subtracted from wages so there is incentive to ignore for example accidentally nicking the intestines and getting e. coli laden poo poo on the meat.

But who cares about that part.

Who cares? Only an idiot would eat anything cooked less than well done.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
This is a great thread based on the checkbox poll alone, voted 5, this thread should serve as a polling model

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Well that video is horrifying. Pigs are as smart if not more smart than dogs aren't they? Maybe I'll just stick with seafood for meat. I don't care what a scallop has to go through.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Flubby posted:

Well that video is horrifying. Pigs are as smart if not more smart than dogs aren't they? Maybe I'll just stick with seafood for meat. I don't care what a scallop has to go through.

yeah smarter than a lot of dogs

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Synthetic Violence posted:

:smithicide:

gently caress me

Not eating bacon for the foreseeable future.

you were warned... You should just eat not hormel bacon.

wow rude posted:

yeah smarter than a lot of dogs

Pigs also turn into major feral assholes the second they're back in the wild. So really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Flubby posted:

Any list of "world's smartest animals" is gonna put pigs in the top 5.

• Locked thread