Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gi_IGuKx4U
Two women enter, one woman leaves
Two women enter, one woman leaves
TWO WOMEN ENTER, ONE WOMAN LEAVES!

Welcome to the GDT for UFC 193: Beyond Thunderdome, 10 p.m. ET Saturday, Nov. 14, only on PPV! Don’t post streams, or else Aunty Entity will put you to work in the pig-poo poo refinery.

The UFC returns to Melbourne, Australia for one hell of a card, featuring the first women’s title fight main and comain event ever. Here, decisions are listening, and will take the first man who makes bitch-rear end lady sounds. Without further ado, let’s meet the road warriors who will be fighting for our base entertainment. Oh, what a day! WHAT A LOVELY DAY!

:siren: For the Women’s Bantamweight Championship :siren:

Ronda Rousey (C) as Imperator Furiosa

vs.

Holly Holm as The Splendid Angharad

The only reason I’m writing anything about Ronda Rousey is out of respect and formality. You all know who she is. There will be people posting in this thread who we’ve never once seen post in the monthly UFC threads. She’s a crossover megastar, in movies with the Rock and the original Mad Max himself, Mel Gibson. Her performance in her sport speaks for itself, as an undefeated finishing machine with only one fight going longer than a round. The bronze medalist is looking to prove once and for all that grappling trumps striking tonight, and further cement her already obvious legacy as the greatest woman bantamweight.

The only reason I’m writing anything about Holly Holm is out of the fact that I don’t want to look like a complete jackass in the extremely unlikely event she manages to win. Holm is also undefeated as a mixed martial artist with a lot of flashy headkick KO wins outside of the UFC, but this is literally her first MMA fight against an opponent not practically designed to all but ensure a Holm win. That’s right: Holly Holm is more or less going from hand-selected cans to Ronda Rousey. Holm is also a champion boxer, but under extremely dubious circumstances: her 33-2-3 record is also strewn with absolute cans, and her boxing career took place almost entirely in her hometown of Albuquerque against women not acclimated to the altitude in front of hometown judges. It is highly telling that the only discussion around her chances of a win have been around whether or not she will be able to eek out a decision through sheer cowardice. She will be dearly missed.

:siren: For the Strawweight Championship :siren:

Joanna Jędrzejczyk (C) as Nux

vs.

Valérie Létourneau as the blinded Bullet Farmer

If you’re coming into this thread on sheer Rousey hype, Joanna Champion is another fighter you absolutely must watch. While not quite as dominant as Rousey — her split decision win over Claudia Gadehla was at least somewhat contentious — Joanna is nevertheless an extremely skilled, kicking her rear end across Europe and the world en route to multiple Muay Thai championships before breaking into MMA. She has a nasty habit of occasionally gouging eyes, which is extremely frustrating as it’s utterly unnecessary due to how thoroughly she’s outclassed most of her competition. Her last two wins have been standing TKOs against the fence deep into the round after her opponents just outright broke down under an onslaught of laser-accurate strikes.

Létourneau is taking this fight on slightly short notice after a planned Jędrzejczyk-Gadelha rematch fell through due to injury. If you had to qualify it, Valérie is probably not as hopelessly outclassed as Holm, but her chances of victory aren’t much better. She fought most of her career as an undersized bantamweight or flyweight and has still lost to almost every good or name fighter she’s faced, but despite being choked out by Roxanne Modafferi to get into the Ultimate Fighter house, her path to the UFC opened up once more with the addition of the strawweight division. There she’s gone undefeated at 115 pounds, albeit against competition that ranged from “extremely, indescribably awful” to “kind of all right I guess, probably.” She’s fun enough to watch but there’s not really much to talk about. She’s a decent striker going up against a world-class one.

Heavyweight

Mark Hunt as Mel Gibson Mad Max

vs.

Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva as Blaster

This is a slightly unwanted rematch of a fight of the year that ended in a perfect draw, which is now a Draw/No Contest Paradox due to Bigfoot being a steroid cheat. It’s also the closest we’ll ever get to Max vs. Blaster, in that a short, silent, insane and incredibly religious adopted Australian will beat the everloving poo poo out of a developmentally disabled giant. Root for Mark Hunt, he is awesome and survived an unimaginably terrible childhood to be as well-adjusted as humanly possible.

Middleweight

Uriah Hall as Tom Hardy Mad Max

vs.

Robert Whittaker as Goose

Uriah Hall has a hell of a highlight reel from the Ultimate Fighter, but you’d never guess it from about half of his actual UFC fights. The TUF finalist has a bad habit of freezing up and contributing absolutely nothing to a fight as if he is haunted by the apparition of his dead child Bukkake Josh Samman informing him that the correct word for “cooker” is “chef.” If he can overcome his weird mental block that causes him to lock up, (or if his opponent doesn’t show an understanding of angles or creating space,) expect to see some really cool, really fast headkicks.

Much like Goose, Whittaker is the second-ranking Australian of the main card who is surprisingly cool for what he is, but will still likely end up dead in the street one day. After his run on the Australian-vs-Britain Ultimate Fighter, he had an extremely lackluster run at welterweight, interspersing unmemorable decision wins with bad losses (and a single amazing beatdown of noted rear end in a top hat Colton Smith that almost redeemed it all.) It seemed he had a pretty bad chin and wasn’t destined to make any waves, but since moving up to middleweight, it’s almost like watching another fighter. He’s coming off of back-to-back dominant KO wins, where he showed a really keen understanding of movement that should actually spell a lot of trouble for Hall, if he’s able to avoid eating a random headkick thrown with no setup.

Heavyweight

Stefan Struve as those stilt guys in the swamp that turned out to be what’s left of the Green Place

vs.

Jared Rosholt as the weird deformed midget guy with the telescope

Stefan Struve owns. The tallest fighter in the UFC, his weird flailing style has lead to him being on both sides of some of the coolest KOs in the heavyweight division. After getting his jaw broken in two by Mark Hunt, he discovered that he had the heart from the end of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and went away for medical leave. It was all downhill from there. On his way back to the cage, he suffered an anxiety attack in the locker room mere hours before he was scheduled to fight Matt loving Mitrione and was pulled from the fight. In his infinite wisdom, Joe Silva booked the clearly nervous young man concerned for his health on the main event of a much bigger pay-per-view card against Alistair Overeem, his home nation’s greatest MMA superstar. He was of sound-enough nerves to step into the cage, but seemed to forget that punching, kicking or doing anything else was allowed in an MMA fight and was thusly knocked out. He then returned to fight a tepid decision against an aging mummy. Not the movie kind of mummy that is cursed with terrible magic powers, just the regular kind of dusty preserved corpse. Unless he’s seeing a really good sports psychologist and has had something click in his head, it is probably time for Stefan Struve to hang them up.

Thankfully for his health, if Struve is destined to lose Saturday night, it will be in a very gentle and boring way. Jared Rosholt is a heavyweight wrestler from the fine people who brought you Johny Hendricks, Competitive Steak Eater. He invariably fights with a wrestling-based gameplan that can be described as “turgid,” “boring” and “uncomfortably sweaty.” He has a single TKO win in the UFC against another soft-bodied chunky guy unironically nicknamed “Cuddly Bear,” and he didn’t even have the decency to spare us the patented 15-minute-wrestling-snoozefest Jared Rosholt Experience by doing it with more than two minutes left in the third and final round. I really do try to be at least a little unbiased and talk about each fighter’s good points when possible, but I really can’t here guys. I hate Jared Rosholt with my life. God bless you Oleksiy Oliynyk please return soon.

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH

Prelims, 8 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 1
Lightweight Jake Matthews vs. Akbarh Arreola
Welterweight Kyle Noke vs. Peter Sobotta
Light Heavyweight Anthony Perosh vs. Gian Villante
Flyweight Richie Vaculik vs. Danny Martinez

Early Prelims, 6:15 p.m. ET on UFC Fight Pass
Middleweight Dan Kelly vs. Steve Montgomery
Welterweight Richard Walsh vs. Steve Kennedy
Welterweight James Moontasri vs. Anton Zafir
Flyweight Ben Nguyen vs. Ryan Benoit

Official Weigh-Ins, 5 p.m. ET Friday. Nov. 13
http://www.ufc.com/ufc-193-official-weigh-in

Official MMA Snack Rating: Dinki-Di Meat & Vegies dog food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
anyone attending this - can i use ringside/backstage passes if they arent in my name. workmate has two and cant fly atm so it will cost me flights only to go. please advise.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Great OP

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
If you're interested in finding out a little more about the guys on the undercard as authored by me go here https://midcardmadness.wordpress.com/ufc-193/

In brief Nguyen / benoit, vaculik / Martinez and Jake Matthews / arreola should all be interesting.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 13, 2015

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

If you're interested in finding out a little more about the guys on the undercard as authored by me go here https://midcardmadness.wordpress.com/ufc-193/

In brief Nguyen / benoit, vaculik / Martinez and Jake Matthews / arreola should all be interesting.

This is good.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm glad the main card is stacked and the undercard slightly forgettable because it's hard to sit down for an entire afternoon and watch an entire UFC these days.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

please cancel hunt/bigfoot

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

cams posted:

LobsterMobster has an interesting idea for how Holm can (maybe) put up a fight against Rousey and I'd encourage people to check it out

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think we all agree that Holm's only path to victory is extreme cowardice.

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

cams posted:

I Believe In Mark Hunt

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe
Does anyone in Melbourne this weekend know of any amateur fight events scheduled around town? I figured it must be like Wrestlemania Weekend that the z-leagues would swarm the city, but googling didn't turn up anything and now my brother is pushing to go to a goddamn soccer game

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
awww drat, I was hoping for a preparable snack. Oh well, the apocalypse probably isn't too far away.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
We're going to this, and we're still only 80% sure that it's on Sunday, not Saturday.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been saying for a long time that if/when Rousey loses it will probably look like a not-great Machida fight, like Machida-Henderson. Holm actually has the tools to do that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I've been saying for a long time that if/when Rousey loses it will probably look like a not-great Machida fight, like Machida-Henderson. Holm actually has the tools to do that.

Based on her last two fights, those tools are loving rusty.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

-Atom- posted:

there's so much weird peripheral poo poo going on aside from the fight on Rousey's end, on top of everyone saying The Things They Say about how unstoppable a fighter is seems like the perfect amount of things to make MMA™ happen in the most MMA™ way.

Friendly reminder that I'm right about everything

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 15, 2015

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I actually met and trained with Ben Nguyen one time. He's a super nice dude, he whooped my rear end for a good twenty minutes and I thanked him for it that's how good a guy he is, go for him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just finished watching all the embedded. Bigfoot doesn't think Holly has a chance at all either.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

CommonShore posted:

she absolutely does not

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

i could have sworn i read another version of this article enlisting the help of a mountain cat or something

CommonShore posted:

this only makes a little bit of sense if ronda didn't have the ability to submit holly the instant the fight hits the mat and the tools to instantly get holly to the mat whenever she gets tired of her tai-bo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nice piece on the undercard, Marching Powder.

Looking forward to Hunt getting another win.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i don't know why there are so many words here because there are exactly 2 people on this card, joanna and mark hunt. and if hunt loses i hope the new australian prime minister has the decency to immediately carpet bomb the arena

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Northjayhawk posted:

awww drat, I was hoping for a preparable snack. Oh well, the apocalypse probably isn't too far away.

Absolutely nothing is stopping you from cracking open a nice can of wet chunk dog food.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll rephrase: Holm has the least absence of tools for that gameplan.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Machidas style wasnt just about running away, his fights looked like that because his opponents had to respect his ability to close the gap with 1 punch knockout power. So the whole time they had to be wary about footwork and distancing or theyd get owned like Bader. I dont think thres any female fighter who poses that threat, if there were Rousey probably wouldve lost to them already because she usually starts every fight by carelessly wading into the gap and eating a couple right hands, which never phase her at all because these girls dont hit hard let alone while moving backwards and thrown off their timing

If holm can get rousey to respect her hands then maybe but thats a pretty tall order just looking at her last 2 fights

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

Absolutely nothing is stopping you from cracking open a nice can of wet chunk dog food.

I was thinking canned chili is basically the same thing

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fylKUwktZkk
Everything about this interview with Hunt was great.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Dickson you're a crook.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mark Hunt is happier than I've ever seem him outside of time like the Sefo fight.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

Machidas style wasnt just about running away, his fights looked like that because his opponents had to respect his ability to close the gap with 1 punch knockout power. So the whole time they had to be wary about footwork and distancing or theyd get owned like Bader. I dont think thres any female fighter who poses that threat, if there were Rousey probably wouldve lost to them already because she usually starts every fight by carelessly wading into the gap and eating a couple right hands, which never phase her at all because these girls dont hit hard let alone while moving backwards and thrown off their timing

If holm can get rousey to respect her hands then maybe but thats a pretty tall order just looking at her last 2 fights

machida also had a lot of great body kicks and knees that aided in his cowardly flight

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Fozzy The Bear posted:

This interview has it all and I was laughing out loud at the thought of some poor USADA guy having to watch Mark Hunt poop

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rousey is going to lose.

e. or get arrested.
e. or fail a drug test.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Of all the potential catastrophes that could derail Ronda's career I'd have to give best odds to something involving the notorious turd golem with the button mash fighting style

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Or break that curse like it's Miesha Tate's arm.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i don't know why there are so many words here because there are exactly 2 people on this card, joanna and mark hunt. and if hunt loses i hope the new australian prime minister has the decency to immediately carpet bomb the arena

you no longer love Struve ?

granted the man he's fighting is the worst thing to ever happen to the heavyweight division, but I think Struve coming away with a stoppage victory is possible.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
mark hunt's career renaissance is the best thing to happen to mma since machida took the title imo. i hope he wins.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I would really like to see Struve fight just about anyone in the heavyweight division he hasn't already fought. Struve/Bigfoot would be cool.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm surprised betting sites aren't taking bets on which minute of the first round Ronda will win it in.

Ronda is going to gently caress Holm up, y'all.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I too want to see Rousey end another woman's life this Saturday.

The video game covers worry me because I'm dumb. That's all just fake superstition stuff, right? Right?? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Electric Lady posted:

I too want to see Rousey end another woman's life this Saturday.

The video game covers worry me because I'm dumb. That's all just fake superstition stuff, right? Right?? :tinfoil:

yes. Forrest and Lesnar lost after being on the cover but guys like Anderson and Jones won some of their most prominent matches afterwards. Anderson didn't run into Chris Weidman until a year after the game had been out, same with Jones running into that pregnant lady over a year after EA Sports UFC had been released.

I suppose Ronda Rousey might die on the set of her next film but Holm is Going To loving Die on Saturday. guaranteed.

• Locked thread