Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm surprised you didn't include :spain: and :heritage: as options.

If you somehow do an Italy or Austria-Hungary game, I could spice things up a bit and fix up my Ottoman Empire scenario a bit and then use those files to create them as another opponent instead of the arguably useless (in a game of Mediterranean Domination) America.

Sure the Sick Man of Europe is not exactly the best naval power around, but their absence in a Mediterranean focused game feels wrong.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I never did get back to reworking China.

I can provide you a stock CSA file if you want. Alternatively that USA Nation file I made where the CSA is an opponent, cause giving us the option to play :heritage: but not the option to trounce :heritage: is wrong. (and it would make playing the US slightly less boring)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, fair point. Though speaking of that sort of stuff, are you gonna be building stuff thematically or ruthlessly efficient? Either way is fun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also Voting Italy :italy: but only because Grey Hunter already did France.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

He already shot that down since he wants to do a historical focus. But if you feel like drowning some rebels in their own Ironclad Coffins...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Building in another nation's yard (especially USA or UK) is also handy for getting a leg up on technology if you're behind, since you can get research bonuses via reverse engineering.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Or hope you end up allies with one of them. I don't think they'll seize your ships then, plus they tend to offer to sell technology frequently for favorable prices.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'd suggest cropping images more. The tension bars and buttons below them aren't needed in most screenshots, for example.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

IIRC it was based on pre-existing map vector files or some poo poo that the dev (the game Is a one-man job) would have difficulty redoing. It gets rendered as an actual 3D globe during battles so that distances and day/night can be properly done.

But yeah the modern borders are a common nitpick. You can always set the option to color the map black on the map. Some grogs actually do that. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Four lines just makes you get creative. :v: Or lazy.

There is always the Badnaughts!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 15, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sure, I'll play with it later. Been wanting to tinker with that thing.

By the way, what mode are you playing in, Admiral?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't think I have any talent for this. The parts feel weirdly scaled. Though maybe thats because I was using the real Mikasa as somewhat of a reference. A bad attempt at the Hizen class:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just selected the white space with the magic wand and deleted it, using Paint.net. I actually did resize the casemates a bit. To me the superstructure makes it looks like a passenger steamer someone shoved guns into. :v:

Oh, and also B1

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 15, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its Mid 1903 and he's not at war yet, he's being pretty docile. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Depends on whether or not the USA AI was diverting ships to the Pacific, since it normally piles most of them in the Atlantic. Without the Panama Canal (built in 1912 I think) it'll take a while for any ships currently on the eastern seaboard to be transferred to the Pacific.

Of course, the US is also somewhat lacking in substantial bases in the far Pacific (though I guess it is possible, thought unlikely, that the AI might've built up one of their Southeast asia holdings), so their ability to mount a campaign against us is limited. This works both ways though.

The fleet of many tiny light cruisers is mostly just to fufill that insane cruiser requirement from the politicians.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arglebargle III posted:

Appropriately enough, the game doesn't keep very good track of where the forts are.

I just view it as building a series of those emplacements through the selected area. So building a 12" battery in Japan is actually building them all along the Japanese coast.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Though about doing pagoda superstructure, but figured I'd keep it simple and make it crazier over time. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

GhostStalker posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a mod already to put KanColle ship pics in place of their equivalent designs in this game... There's bound to be overlap in the fans of the two games.

I've actually not seen that poo poo mentioned once in the NWS forums, surprisingly. Also, isn't that stuff ww2?

This is a game of the best period of modern naval battles. Big Guns, Big Ships, no stupid aeroplanes ruining the clash of titans.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Night10194 posted:

Isn't this the time when for the most part you just avoided decisive battles because no-one could really force the other to an engagement unless both decided to take it?

Well, yes, that is the reality of it. But ships cowering in port just isn't as Romantic an image. :v:

And lucky for us, it doesn't usually go that way in this game. You get plenty of hot Dreadnought-on-Dreadnought action here. :black101:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

B

The only ones who have profited from this war are the French. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

BurningStone posted:

When a ship is turns out different than its design (like the overweight thing) is it just that ship or the entire class?

I believe it applies to the entire class.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It is, as long as the peace terms aren't too bad. Though our chances at a white peace are probably gone now. We'll have to make concessions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Stop deflating this wonderful sense of DOOOM! You'll look better when you make a "miraculous" comeback. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Danann posted:

At least the IJA is not trying to assassinate members of your service, or trying to draft your naval designers. :v:

The fact that I don't feel I should ask "is that true?!" says a lot about the relationship between the IJA and IJN...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arglebargle III posted:

What?! I-I'm shocked. Tokiwa has become a hero ship of the Japanese Empire, and I am lit up by her reflected glow! Do you know what this means? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?! THAT CAPTAIN WILL ESCAPE HIS RICHLY-DESERVED DEATH!

Sorry, but we need a good (if exaggerated) result for the papers back home.

If you were so desperate for a Dreadnought why didn't you just go with the Nassau configuration? I mean, yeah its hilariously inefficient on tonnage, but its a Dreadnought. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 17, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Japan is a Left Hand drive country.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kawachi class was all 12" guns for the heavy battery, so I'd consider it a Dreadnought. It is the Satsuma class with its mixed 12" and 10" heavy battery I'd call a "semi dreadnought".

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Eh, my criteria is "is it a monocaliber battleship"? :effort:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arglebargle III posted:

I will try to avoid France entering the war, but their relations with us have been worsening for no reason I can understand.

You don't understand?! They stole our ships! Even the civilian Government would cry foul over that after the billions of Yen we lost paying for them!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bushido is going into battle accepting your possible death without fear, not actively seeking to make it happen. :colbert:

Fight Smart, Rethink our Doctrine

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I don't remember the numbers off hand, but the Might British Empire's colonial holdings amount to about 20% of their total budget, and they've got the biggest empire, so other nations possessions contribute far less to their budgets.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They make possession invasions harder and can provide support if ships actually wander in range. They're not that great yeah. The Dev is looking into buffing them a bit, making them longer range vs ship-mounted guns of the same caliber and possibly more accurate.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Battleships Thunder
Burning Steel Churns In Ocean
Decisive Battle

I should not be writing Haiku

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Crowsbeak posted:

Also how hard it it to get AI to fight each other?

Essentially Impossible, the AI does not fight wars amongst themselves, it is a big weakness of the game. The only time the AI hurts other AI is when you've got an ally in a war. If you've got an ally sometimes you'll get pop ups saying operations of your ally have awarded you VP or that so and so allied/enemy ship(s) were sunk during a battle.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Technology Sharing Agreements are not alliances.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Even its first rebuild was kinda crazy because they kept the super structure, leading to a rear deck and a front deck and two small taxi-ways between them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Less reserve buoyancy, making them easier to sink. Not sure by how much.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arglebargle III posted:

The fleet will now cruiser in parallel, to deploy in line ahead left or right at a moment's notice. (This is a good cruising formation since you can cover more ocean, present a smaller target to torpedoes, fight en echelon or deploy into line ahead within 15 minutes with practice. In this game, you can only deploy in one direction. Historically the flagship would be at the center of the formation, and would not be the lead ship after the fleet deployed into line. In the game the flagship is on one flank, and no other ship can be the lead ship. Thus you can only deploy correctly in one direction.)

Well, you can always use your once-per-battle option to transfer the flagship status to another ship to do that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They celebrate Thanksgiving in Japan? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow drat the designer added an auto-side-view routine with the fan template in 1.23. Gonna back up and install the update to see if I can continue the save.

:captainpop:

Gonna have to check this out.

• Locked thread