Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Riso posted:

I still don't get BC.
They are not supposed to and can't fight BB so why bother armouring them significantly above what a CA will have as armament?

So you can wreck old/damaged/outnumbered BBs and, most importantly, Fisher style BCs and CLLs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Unfortunately the game doesn't let you choose when to break out, you just have to keep going until it rolls at fleet battle or other battleship engagement.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Post treaty CA just means CL but with 8" guns. They rarely had more armour than the "true" 6" CLs, and often less in order to carry 8" guns and still fit in the 10k tons treaty limitation.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It was a much the fault of the crews who tended to scorn damage control in favour of keeping the guns firing/planes refuelling, as it was the engineers. Some of the treaty dodging ships were badly overweight, yes, but the problems were mostly fixed through rebuilds by WW2, and after Japan lef tthe treaty the ships as designed were very good indeed. All the advanced engineering in the world doesn't help you if your crew's idea of damage control to a ruptured Av Fuel tank is to shore it up with the mess tables and then ignore it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

terrenblade posted:

And the sun never sets on the Japanese empire. Fitting.

But if it never sets, can it rise?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
USA is boring as poo poo, if the CSA was there it would be a little more interesting but we've already had one non European play through where nothing much happened, why are people clamouring for another one? Sorry you colonial types, Europe is the centre of the world don't cha know? I'd suggest Italy or maybe Russia since Grey has done France.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Notice Iwami scores one hit in her first salvo on that screenshot, probably her first hit against the target. Then follows up with 6 hits in the next since she now has the range. Director firing is actually all about deliberately missing to some extent, that's what ladder firing is. Rather than all guns being aimed at single point they are aimed into a line, a "ladder". Once you straddle the target with the ladder, probably not hitting initially since the shots are too far spaced, you watch the splashes and the data is fed back into the computer and the ladder is gradually tightened over succeeding salvoes until you are hopefully hitting with multiple shots per salvo. Exactly how detailed this process is ingame I don't really know however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Battle turn away is a simultaneous 90 degree turn away from the enemy so that your line is sailing directly away from the enemy line. This is used when your whole in is in major danger of getting torpedoed to set your angle of advance parallel to the torpedoes and hopefully dodge most of them. It is accessible through the OOB display at the highest level, the same pop up you use to order a general retreat or to command every destroyer to try for torpedoes, rather than just one division's attached destroyers.

Whether such a maneuver existed under that name IRL and what it involved I don't know. The German maneuver you described sounds to me like turning 180 together to run away from the fast battleships? Ingame you would use the transfer flag option to do that I would think, but that does mean you can only do it once per battle. The AI doesn't seem to make any particular efforts to cross the T anyway.

• Locked thread