Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Someone's salty.

Kentucky at one point had Bear Bryant and Rupp on staff at the same time and bought Rupp a Cadillac. They knew what they were doing.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jazzimus Prime posted:

N: WTF? Monk isn't staying home where he'd be an eternally beloved hero, but instead chose to become a nameless cog in a faceless machine 800 miles away? :smith:

V: I guess that the one Final Four participation trophy that he'll get right before his team loses to a tall, slow, white, corn-fed Big-Ten team must mean a lot to him, as that will be all he'll have to show for his collegiate career before he goes pro immediately after completing his freshman year along with the rest of his teammates. This poo poo is why I stopped following basketball after the Nolan years. But hey, you know what? We'll always have 1994 :razorback:, and I'm proud to have Mike Anderson, rather than that corrupt mafioso Calipari or his cross-state rival who brings in prostitutes to entertain the recruits.

Jerry Seinfeld himself might ask, "what's the deal with coaches whose names start with P, with a T in the middle, and ending with the letters -NO always being involved in sex scandals?" My own school had to fire a football coach whose name fits those exact same criteria over a somewhat lesser sex scandal involving him misappropriating state government funds to employ a mistress who was half his age but was at least legal, and that particular sex scandal doesn't even hold a candle to the one at Penn State involving a coach with yet another very similar name who was asleep at the wheel while his defensive coordinator was doing some things that are utterly unthinkable.

But I digress.

Aside from the late 80s and early-to-mid 90s, we've always been more of a football school anyway. Did you know that those states that start with K only have good basketball teams because they have such lovely football programs? Apparently the athletic budget has to be spent on something that fans will actually show up to watch.

have a beer dude

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

News: I have a buddy who is going to school and living on campus at Northern Iowa and he is a huge Iowa State basketball fan. Since he isn't a UNI fan, he isn't going to the North Carolina/UNI game on campus tomorrow. He would get in for free as a student...

Views: I want to fly to Iowa just to punch him in the face.

Do it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I didn't see this posted, but the annual "suspension of perennial shithead Brannen Greene for being a shithead" just started again at Kansas. This guy cannot get out of the doghouse and demands playing time constantly because he can shoot. Forget the fact that he literally does nothing else and can't even create his own shot. Here's me saying I hope he gets his poo poo together, for the...5th time? Something like that. Greene was arguing with Self on the court and into the locker room at the MSU game and it became so bad that Greene's parents were called down from the stands to witness it. His dad said Brannen should have kept his mouth shut but I guess it's hard when you're a moron.

Anyway Self suspended him for six games for conduct detrimental to the team.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article45604692.html

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

The Great Autismo! posted:

have a beer dude

But man he... he even grew up in Northwest Arkansas and... this was the one five star guy that was going to choose us over Kentucky and... :smithicide:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Did Monk really mislead everyone as much as it seems or did they do it to themselves?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It was a conspiracy between Monk's brother, Calipari, and the usual UK bagmen. Pays to be UK.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vikingstrike posted:

It was a conspiracy between Monk's brother, Calipari, and the usual UK bagmen. Pays to be UK.

:wink:

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Today was a good day.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

Did Monk really mislead everyone as much as it seems or did they do it to themselves?

If Kentucky is involved, anyone else who thinks their school is a lock is deluding themselves.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

News: I have a buddy who is going to school and living on campus at Northern Iowa and he is a huge Iowa State basketball fan. Since he isn't a UNI fan, he isn't going to the North Carolina/UNI game on campus tomorrow. He would get in for free as a student...

Views: I want to fly to Iowa just to punch him in the face.

Whoops

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU just lost to Arkansas Little Rock at home lol

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Ahahaha, just saw that UNC lost

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Man it has not been pretty for a lot of top 10 teams so far.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Man it has not been pretty for a lot of top 10 teams so far.

The ACC's losses are UNI, Kentucky and GW. All respectable at least.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Ross Angeles posted:

SDSU just lost to Arkansas Little Rock at home lol

I am pleased

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Wrong thread

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Lessail posted:

I am pleased

You won't be later tonight!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Ross Angeles posted:

You won't be later tonight!

Here's a spoiler: the football team is bad

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

I didn't see this posted, but the annual "suspension of perennial shithead Brannen Greene for being a shithead" just started again at Kansas. This guy cannot get out of the doghouse and demands playing time constantly because he can shoot. Forget the fact that he literally does nothing else and can't even create his own shot. Here's me saying I hope he gets his poo poo together, for the...5th time? Something like that. Greene was arguing with Self on the court and into the locker room at the MSU game and it became so bad that Greene's parents were called down from the stands to witness it. His dad said Brannen should have kept his mouth shut but I guess it's hard when you're a moron.

Anyway Self suspended him for six games for conduct detrimental to the team.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article45604692.html

"Buuuuh coach, why am I not in a lot right now?"

"Because you can't loving play defense and Valentine is going off."

"Buuuuh coach...."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Lessail posted:

Here's a spoiler: the football team is bad

so is the basketball team

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Ross Angeles posted:

so is the basketball team

No arguments here :shrug:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
UNC has lost to a team from Iowa in three consecutive seasons.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Tom Crean is having fun in Maui.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The early-season tournaments are getting as stupid as the low-tier bowl games. Already hate the ones that provide guaranteed semifinal berths for power-conference teams as a means of getting them to participate, now there's ones explicitly separating themselves into Heavyweight and Middleweight brackets (the Men Who Speak Up Main Event) or "Mayan" and "Riviera" Divisions (Cancun Challenge: good news, the Mayans are the weaklings here). Even established tournaments like the Maui Invitational have pointless outgrowths like the "Maui on the Mainland" bracket with four entirely unrelated teams who don't get to go to Maui but instead get to play in Greeley, Colorado. And that's before even having to deal with poo poo like the "Advocare International" or the really well-named "Beaver Showcase."

In conclusion, yelling at clouds, get off my lawn, etc.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Much like bowl games, the more the better in my opinion. I mean they're mostly pointless, but they do get teams to fly to some semi-exotic places to play basketball.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I would gladly get dunked on for a free trip to Maui.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

If I knew those games at Northern Colorado this past weekend were part of something called "Maui on the Mainland" I for sure would have gone, just to say I did.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tell me more about the Beaver Showcase

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Tell me more about the Beaver Showcase

I kinda want to buy a ticket just to have a ticket that says "Beaver Showcase"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

In WTF news of the day, the NCAA exec who hasn't cleared Cheick Diallo used to be employed at West Virginia and gave Huggins a contract bonus of 25 grand every time he beat Kansas.

He is also...Andrew Luck's dad.

:wtc:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

AP Rankings

1. Kentucky
2. Maryland
3. Michigan State
4. Iowa State
5. Kansas
6. Duke
7. Oklahoma
8. Villanova
9. North Carolina
10. Gonzaga
11. Arizona
12. Virginia
13. Indiana
14. California
15. Miami
16. Purdue
17. Notre Dame
18. Connecticut
19. Vanderbilt
20. Wichita State
21. Oregon
22. LSU
23. Xavier
24. Cincinnati
25. Texas A&M

Holy poo poo, ISU is 4th. Best ranking since the 1996/97 season.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
N: Indiana lost to Wake Forest in the Maui Invitational.

V: those "Maui Invitational Quarterfinalist" rings are gonna look sweet

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They are too busy cutting down the nets to look at the rings right now but once they're finished with those nets they'll get a nice look at their rings, I'm sure.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

stimpy posted:

N: Indiana lost to Wake Forest in the Maui Invitational.

V: those "Maui Invitational Quarterfinalist" rings are gonna look sweet

fuckin lol

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

In WTF news of the day, the NCAA exec who hasn't cleared Cheick Diallo used to be employed at West Virginia and gave Huggins a contract bonus of 25 grand every time he beat Kansas.

He is also...Andrew Luck's dad.

:wtc:

gently caress the Colts.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
N: Mizzou is 24 points worse than a probably pretty bad K-State team. Not like with a late run or anything, just never competitive in the game.

V: Yeah that's about right.

I mean with K State you can't even use the excuse of all your new guys getting used to playing with each other, drat near their entire roster is new.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

If Dave Rice's UNLV team continues to look as lost against a zone as they did against UCLA, then he's gone.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Illinois was one shot away from losing to Chicago State. What the gently caress happened to this program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I assume everyone else was also watching Cyclones.TV last night to see Iowa State beat down on Chattanooga. But this happened.

• Locked thread