Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gagelion is back posted:

hey everyone I have this girl friend who ive been crushing on pretty hard ever since she broke up with her boyfriend. we hang out alot and get along really well and I was planning on making a move soon. The other night there was a party at my house and I was really drunk and texting her jokes and stupid poo poo. Well at one point I was quoting memes to her and figured she implicitly understood I was currently in joke mode and texted 'im gay', there was a long pause and she sent this text that was so large it came in over 3 messages. Saying how brave I am and ill always be her friend and shell love me no matter what. I tried to explain it was a joke but I think she thinks I just got cold feet and tried to backpedal. how the gently caress do I get out of this one goons.

I wish this wasn't a gimmick account because I want to see someone repeating the "I'm gay" meme crash and burn like this, it's among SA's worst and most boring.

Does it even count as a meme if it's only really seen on GBS anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blumpkinhead
Nov 10, 2014

aint got no time for bird sex
kind of confused because you called her a girlfriend. don't girls just do that? maybe you are gay.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Profondo Rosso posted:

lol if u think jon pop throws parties at his house

OP said he was drunk at a house party he threw. Never said if anyone showed up.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Bismuth posted:

Become gay, problem solved

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Offer to carry her printer.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Op got a boner and left meowing like a cat

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

mr.capps posted:

i think its more embarrassing to use "friendzone" than the "im gay" meme in real life

i've literally been gay friendzone cucked once

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mental-Rectangle posted:

i've literally been gay friendzone cucked once

So your AV but IRL?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
OP it's okay if you're gay, geez.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Have you tried convincing her you're retarded instead

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer
No way any of this story will be funny or worth reading.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Cuck goku

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
OP you can't back out now or you will totally lose her respect. Either you come off as insensitive, a waffler, or a guy who doesn't really "get" himself. All are bad. To pursue your chances you have to literally become gay, (if you are not already) and not merely pretend like a poser. Women see right through that. Ride the respect and admiration of bravely being who you are (or chose to be hehe.) You also can gain a lot of intimacy because she won't think you are trying to game. Keep things on this course steadily for 1 to 2 years.

Then later on you can "find God" and go to some Christian retreat where they use hypno and electric therapy to "cure" you. Of course it might not work and once you have made the transition, there may be no coming back...

On that point some might say making the first transition is impossible. I am not weighing in either way, however you may still have hope, be it is a thin wire to walk fraught with peril.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Gnarly is no longer welcome at the mod forum UN after he banged his shoe on his desk at the PYF delegate during a speech.

Yeah I am so totally the Khrushchev of the mod forum you don't even know

Like for reals

But I still love my GBS people, and I will get you grain for the planting season from those bastards if it kills me

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

good work goon

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Я знал это

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

gagelion is back posted:

hey everyone I have this girl friend who ive been crushing on pretty hard ever since she broke up with her boyfriend. we hang out alot and get along really well and I was planning on making a move soon. The other night there was a party at my house and I was really drunk and texting her jokes and stupid poo poo. Well at one point I was quoting memes to her and figured she implicitly understood I was currently in joke mode and texted 'im gay', there was a long pause and she sent this text that was so large it came in over 3 messages. Saying how brave I am and ill always be her friend and shell love me no matter what. I tried to explain it was a joke but I think she thinks I just got cold feet and tried to backpedal. how the gently caress do I get out of this one goons.

you screwed up, unless she has an older brother or something you could hang out with. it's almost the same.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

gnarlyhotep posted:

Like for reals

But I still love my GBS people, and I will get you grain for the planting season from those bastards if it kills me

Could you set our people free? Starwar Betamax and some other people who were massbanned made this forum a better place.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Hogge Wild posted:

Could you set our people free? Starwar Betamax and some other people who were massbanned made this forum a better place.

I'll see what I can do about SWBM but I don't make any promises

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
it's weird how the im gay meme is everyone in real life but only a few people realize it's ironic

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Moon Atari posted:

You've made your bed now have gay sex in it.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

ArtIsResistance posted:

it's weird how the im gay meme is everyone in real life but only a few people realize it's ironic

I couldn't have said it better

thank you

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'll see what I can do about SWBM but I don't make any promises

Thanks. And if possible, ask about the rest too.

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me

gagelion is back posted:

Heh heh heh.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Escape hatch (w/ explosive bolts)

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

gagelion is back posted:

put it in her butt OP

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

gagelion is back posted:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

lonesomedwarf posted:

explain gbs in detail and put some context around the "im gay" meme and then shell understand

This is why you never talk about SA to people in your life because the conversation would go like this:

"No no no, you see I'm not actually gay, it's just a thing people who are part of this online community I belong to say as part of a standard response which could have any kind of emotion attached to it, kind of like 'sounds good' or 'this is boring' - it keeps you guessing as to how they might feel but is much faster to type than actually having to express any kind of sentiment in regards to a subject. You get acknowledged faster."

"So if someone posted about how their mother died and they were upset, you would say 'I'm Gay', but if they posted about how they just got married and are really happy, you would also say 'I'm Gay?'"

"Yeah! It's pretty quirky, heh."

"What if a person posted about how they were gay?"

"They would post in D&D or E/N hahaha."

"You are a god drat loser."

e: May or may not be based on a true story :goonsay:

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 16, 2015

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
transition from goon to troon and tell her u want ur b-hole stretched by her

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

TheMostFrench posted:

This is why you never talk about SA to people in your life because the conversation would go like this:

"No no no, you see I'm not actually gay, it's just a thing people who are part of this online community I belong to say as part of a standard response which could have any kind of emotion attached to it, kind of like 'sounds good' or 'this is boring' - it keeps you guessing as to how they might feel but is much faster to type than actually having to express any kind of sentiment in regards to a subject. You get acknowledged faster."

"So if someone posted about how their mother died and they were upset, you would say 'I'm Gay', but if they posted about how they just got married and are really happy, you would also say 'I'm Gay?'"

Nobody cares about your personal life

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

TheMostFrench posted:

You can bring up SA in a non-autistic way btw. hth

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

gnarlyhotep posted:

Nobody cares about your personal life

I'm Gay

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

gnarlyhotep posted:

Like for reals

Thank you, comrade

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Memes destroyed my marriage and turned my children against me.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Hi, been a lurker and didn't really have the courage to post, but I'm at my wits end with my girlfriend (let's call her Chris) and her immature behavior.

Some background: So I first met Chris in a group of friends. She was fun, tomboyish, smart, and well-versed on the internet which I found particularly striking. She spends a lot of time on reddit, 4chan, and knowyourmeme. At first I found this hobby mutual as I'm a frequent internet user myself, except I started noticing that Chris would bring it into the real world.

For example, Chris has an obsession with memes. She has memes posted all over her wall and is very active on meme based forums. I understand they make her laugh and that it's not too concerning, but she brings up memes ALL the time. And I mean all the time. Even when we first started talking and flirting she'd bring up socially awkward penguin. At first it was cute, but then it got annoying fast when I realized she did this constantly.

My girlfriend doesn't abstain from meme usage, even when we're having sex. Whenever we spend this time together, she starts moaning doge memes like "such sex, wow" and it really kills the moment for me. Like really? Is that even close to appropriate? Maybe she wants to relieve the tension, but does she know when to draw the line? Even reading that over made me sick knowing that Chris is usually 100% serious about those things.

I tried bringing up her inappropriate usage of memes after my father died and she literally sends me advice animal memes that say 'don't be sad' but my dad just loving died could you be more sensitive and not send me memes? I said that straight to her face yesterday and she started crying, and I feel awful but it was just really irritating for me.

Basically, every time I bring up her habit, guess what- she just brings up memes! It's impossible to fight with her reasonably and I'd hate to end our year long relationship over something so trivial like this and I need advice. Do I stick with her or not? The reaction to my dad's death was the final straw for me and I've been ignoring her messages, texts, which yes, do contain memes.

Sorry for making this long, I'm having a bit of catharsis here. I know GBS loves its memes and I might get flamed for this, but it's an actual problem and I need help dealing with her. Throwaway because yes, she is on SA. I'm thinking of showing her this board once I get enough advice to show her that her "harmless" jokes actually get on my nerves to a serious degree.

tl;dr: Girlfriend uses memes in real life, acts immature about them, and doesn't understand context... I'm really at my wit's end and need advice on if I should break or try to work this out. Please help.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Chris is a boys name

Abrahamsen
Jul 1, 2009
All I hear is "me me me me". Get over yourself.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Abrahamsen posted:

meme meme meme meme meme yourself

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Beef Turret posted:

Memetarded girlfriend.

Tell her that you think she is smart and funny when she is being herself, and you want more of that rather than the memes.

Also a good tip for conflict resolution is to use mirroring. For instance, in an argument it is useful to pepper your response with the same words and phrasing used by the other person as this shows them that you are actually listening and how your points connect to what they are saying.

In this case you should try to explain your feelings using memes, and in addition to showing them to her yourself you should recruit your shared Facebook friends to share some (don't let her know you did this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

symbolic posted:

did you just cockblock yourself

it's a goon

need you ask

• Locked thread