Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so i'm trying ot eat some lunch and a verizon guy called my number thinking it was my dad's to offer me some kind of promotion or something. i told him i wasn't the holder of the contract and that we werent interested and i kept trying to get off the phone politely. he was telling me to text my father or something and i kept trying to get off the phone so i just told him to have a nice day and hung up. am i a jerk? really bugging me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Frog Act posted:

so i'm trying ot eat some lunch and a verizon guy called my number thinking it was my dad's to offer me some kind of promotion or something. i told him i wasn't the holder of the contract and that we werent interested and i kept trying to get off the phone politely. he was telling me to text my father or something and i kept trying to get off the phone so i just told him to have a nice day and hung up. am i a jerk? really bugging me right now.

He was a jerk for asking you to do something for him. The moment you told him you weren't the contract holder and the contract holder wasn't available, he should have hung up.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
What the gently caress how could anyone be so heartless I hope they ban you

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Never feel bad about hanging up on unsolicited calls. You don't have to be an rear end about it, but "I'm not interested thank you" and then hanging up is perfectly acceptable. They probably get yelled at every day and are relieved when they get hung up on without abuse.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Most of the time I try to be kind to call center people but if I get a pushy one I tell them they are worthless and that everybody hates them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

he sounded so defeated i almost felt like i should entertain his crazy plan of texting my dad and having him call the verizon guy to learn about the super special offer he was promotoing. the ennui in his voice was nearly overwhelming

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Frog Act posted:

Dookie

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Frog Act posted:

he sounded so defeated i almost felt like i should entertain his crazy plan of texting my dad and having him call the verizon guy to learn about the super special offer he was promotoing. the ennui in his voice was nearly overwhelming

You should have told him that if he didn't leave you alone you would quit Verizon.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"Are you allowed to hang up on your end?"
--Refuses to answer question
"I'm just going to start forcing belches now."

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Suck his dick

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
should have put him on hold, OP

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Man the second I hear sales pitch I just hang up without saying anything who actually lets telemarketers talk these days

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.
I just don't ever answer the phone. Social interaction scares me. :ohdear:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Frog Act posted:

he wanted to appease his corporate masters op

one less gold dubloon for them

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Its normal enough to feel a little sad for a guy stuck in a terrible, thankless job that sucks his soul out a little bit each day. Then you hang up on that fucker before he drags you down with him.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
write him a letter of apology and make sure to spritz it with ur perfume

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
People hang up on me all the time. Doesn't bother me. I'm sure he's fine.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

He likely gets called a cocksucking friend of the family human being about 50 times a day. He probably cried tears of joy after his call to you ended in peace.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
You shouldn't feel bad about hanging up on him. But his will be the last voice your father will hear.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Frog Act posted:

So it was YOU that hung up on my agent? Welp that's it. Verizon's gonna cancel your rear end now. (Or maybe your dad's rear end since he's the contract holder...either way, there's an rear end somewhere that's getting canceled, other than your mom's of course).

Bullshit aside, odds are, he probably didn't even work for Verizon. Companies like that will hire out call centers that are completely unaffiliated with them to do those "promotional calls", as it's cheaper to do that on the back end than hire your own call staff. Usually the agent gets paid by the hour, and SOMETIMES the company will offer a commission (couple bucks per sale), but all of my dealings with Verizon, they never offered my agents anything other than "GOOD JOB YO".

Protip: If you don't want these calls, (or ANY telemarketing call/political survey etc. etc. for the matter), then all you have to do is identify yourself as the person they're wanting to speak to, and say the magic phrase (place me on your Do Not Call list). If you don't identify yourself AND tell them to specifically put you on their DNC list, then by law we can keep calling.....and we generally do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Never feel bad about anything to do with Verizon. I recently switched to them and in the store the guy was like "You owe $140 and your first bill and all after will be about $100". Then my first bill arrived and it was $250 and I called and the lady was like "oh all that extra is just tax" and I said "woah lady tax can't be more than 100% this isn't Sweden" but she didn't change the bill so I just had to pay it.

Never feel bad they're all living large over there on piles of diamonds.

• Locked thread