Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
https://translate.google.com/transl...n%2F&edit-text= (translated from danish)

quote:

For years, doctors and other professionals advised people suffering from depression, to exercise. A simple Google search on the words 'exercise' and 'depression' also leads to countless repetitions of the mantra that physical exercise helps to make the depressed healthy.

But it is not true.

A Danish scientist has related to his doctoral thesis examined the relationship thoroughly in two different studies, and has gone through all other research in the field from around the world, and the conclusion is that exercise makes no difference to the depression. They do not come quickly out of the depression, and physical activity does not mitigate the symptoms.

"I was so surprised at the results of my first study, I chose to make another attempt, where the requirements for the participants was tougher, and turned up to how much exercise they should cultivate. And yet the result was the same. The exercise had no effect on their depression, "says physician Jesper Krogh from Psychiatric Centre Copenhagen, who defends his doctoral thesis today.

Turns out the advice you've been doling out on E/N was a waste of time. :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
but people who exercise of their own volition tend not to be depressed
if exercise is not the cause of their lack of depression, what other connection could there be :smugdog::pipe:

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
so they should stay inside and eat Cheetos in the dark instead, sounds fine to me

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
actually, youre wrong OP

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Beef Turret posted:

https://translate.google.com/transl...n%2F&edit-text= (translated from danish)

Turns out the advice you've been doling out on E/N was a waste of time. :mmmhmm:

You are probably a fat gently caress

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

drugs help with depression and exercise is a drug. done! just proved this moron is wrong

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you're right, exercise is useless *is an ugly fat slob*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

all this time spent sadly lifting weights... wasted...

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
No you see you have to spend a lot of time doing these repetitive motions over and over until your brain is tricked into thinking your life is good

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
exercise fuckin blows

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Exercise in and of itself won't cure depression. It's establishing a routine, slowly working on yourself and spending time thinking about things other than your sad brain that helps. Plus, if you exercise you'll meet people and slowly start coming out of your shell. The whole "exercise helps because of [whatever medical reason] is pretty much just a sham to get idiot sadbrains to get out of bed, stop crying and go do something. If you told these weak idiots that what they need is human contact, a hobby and a break from their weirdo thought patterns they'd never believe you.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
What a biased study. A danish scientist? Of course a scientist who studies food is going to try to make you believe exercise won't help you. He's probably a fatty.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Nubile Hillock posted:

Exercise in and of itself won't cure depression. It's establishing a routine, slowly working on yourself and spending time thinking about things other than your sad brain that helps. Plus, if you exercise you'll meet people and slowly start coming out of your shell. The whole "exercise helps because of [whatever medical reason] is pretty much just a sham to get idiot sadbrains to get out of bed, stop crying and go do something. If you told these weak idiots that what they need is human contact, a hobby and a break from their weirdo thought patterns they'd never believe you.

Your brain literally works better if you live a healthy lifestyle. This isn't a loving debate.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

How much do you weigh

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Exercise makws me feel really good about myself OP so that doctor us wrong

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Beef Turret posted:

No you see you have to spend a lot of time doing these repetitive motions over and over until your brain is tricked into thinking your life is good

Same but for going to work

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Nubile Hillock posted:

Yeah really, if you're just sadly shuffling between home and the gym to lift weights three times a day of course it isn't going to help.

CuRvY G0oNeTTe
Oct 30, 2015

by Lowtax
Lipstick Apathy
Depression isn't real. The sad brains need 2 pull themselves up bi their bootstraps and go face the world like a real man imo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

quote:

They do not come quickly out of the depression, and physical activity does not mitigate the symptoms.
Nothing brings you out of depression quickly, and the point isn't that it mitigates the symptoms

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

Yeah really, if you're just sadly shuffling between home and the gym to lift weights three times a day of course it isn't going to help.

at least you'll be fit and sad which is better than being fat and sad imho, plus you have to be loving DEDICATED to being sad as poo poo to not ever interact with anybody at the gym in a positive way

well adjusted gym guy: "hey bro can you spot me?"

Goon: 'mneughghhg' *shuffles off to bathroom*

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Nubile Hillock posted:

well adjusted gym guy to a disheveled depressed weirdo wearing a soiled purple sweats: "hey bro can you spot me?"
conversations that didnt happen

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
what if he was the only one in the gym?? when I was a poorly dressed fat goon at the gym I got asked to spot a bro a few times

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Like I'ma listen a Danish person talk about how to cure depression. LOL, good job on not even knowing what sunshine is, you Vitamin D unhaving pale stick people. Chuh.

Also, nicotine is really good for depression. Everyone should start smoking or vaping and getting they nic' on and they can toss those xannies in the trash or give them to some high school kids.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'd like to see the study rather than some danish newspaper bullshit. Confounding variables and other science poo poo could have led to a type I or type II error depending on the douches hypothesis.

Plus, there will have to be multiple studies to add merit to this study. If multiple researchers at multiple universities replicate the study and they too come out with the same answer, then I"ll believe it.

Until then I'm gonna keep working out so I can bang hot chicks and be happy. If not, then I'll continue to do it because being fat is stupid.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I find if I'm bummed out, getting a nice workout session, especially with some cardio, is a great mood lifter

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
exersize doesnt cure depression, being hot and having lots of sex does. its a delayed reaction

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

CuRvY G0oNeTTe posted:

Depression isn't real. The sad brains need 2 pull themselves up bi their bootstraps and go face the world like a real man imo

Indeed, depression is all in your head.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

depression is likely an evolved response to stressful living conditions and the only reason it presents psychologically is its conflict with modern society oh and also a lot of things that get called depression are probably other mechanisms both physiological and mental that are poorly understood if at all and anyone with a cure for "depression" should be viewed as skeptically as anyone who claims to have a cure for cancer

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Not surprised, OP. These studies were all carefully fabricated to sell more yoga mats, energy drinks, supplements, and tapout tshirts.

Blahsmack
Oct 25, 2003

i think they meant exorcism not exercise the power of christ compels you to just stop being a sad gay okay?

a healthy diet combined with exercise while working with your doctor on what anti depressants you need might actually help you with your depression.

or try watching your fave anime.

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
Suicide remains the most effective cure for depression.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

VectorSigma posted:

depression is likely an evolved response to stressful living conditions and the only reason it presents psychologically is its conflict with modern society oh and also a lot of things that get called depression are probably other mechanisms both physiological and mental that are poorly understood if at all and anyone with a cure for "depression" should be viewed as skeptically as anyone who claims to have a cure for cancer

Hmm. Agreed.

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Smelly Bohemian posted:

Suicide remains the most effective cure for depression.

I'll have some of that.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
not exercising makes you stupid and sluggish and ugly, though, which can be contributing factors to a negative self image, which is a big part of many ppls depressions.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
It gets you off your loving fat rear end, though.

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah let me just do this laborious poo poo resulting in my body aching and sweating, gently caress off

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Oh poo poo, next they're going to figure out that swatting your dog with a rolled up magazine actually works and that Pet Island is making retarded poo poo up when they claim that the standard dog-raising method of the last 150,000,000,000 years is bad and wrong

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ffffuck I guess I'd better go regain all the weight I lost because it clearly did nothing to improve my health and happiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

i always feel a lot happier during the weeks where i exercise a lot as opposed to when i'm taking it easy and being lazy.

think i'm going to keep exercising anyway but thanks for the heads up OP.

• Locked thread