Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
im active as hell and im as happy or happier as ive ever been in my life, and being active is a big part of it. money is good too, for happiness.

also if you get a lot of exercise and your body looks really nice then other ppl with nice bodies might want to gently caress you which is a big contributor to happiness, access to loving ppl that make you horny.

theres the depression mental illness thing and then there's being a sad piece of poo poo and you'll never know which one you are if you dont find out via personal agency and actions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

this makes sense because i bet even professional athletes experience depression

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
The thing about studies is that individual studies are not enough to form an opinion with. You need a variety of well ran studies to get useful data, and ideally the variables specific to individual studies will be somewhat mitigated by the larger sample size. You should definitely think twice at any person or article who begins a sentence with "A study says,".

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
There's a guy in my office who did a study that says you are full of poo poo OP.

Being in shape is awesome. It's not going to fix a mental health disorder, but it can definitely help with mental health problems. If you don't know the difference, might I suggest you do some corporate management training.

ktvrxiii
Oct 14, 2012
I leave a trail of tears when I go running. I am so lonely and muscular.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So what does help then, rolling over for the Nazis?

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

exercise makes you skinnier / more buff therefore positively affectiing other peoples perception of you for the positive, causing a positive feedback loop of good feels all around

myth plausible

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
The sadness and weight of the world is crushing my soul...

*massive pec bounce while sobbing into a protein shake*

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Dumb poo poo thinks the exercise itself is some kind of super drug. It simply leads to other good things that help your sad brains.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
Well isn't this doctor flawed from the get go studying depression at such a Northern latitude? Really now; suicide and depression occur more where the sun is rare and the weather is poo poo. Seattle, Copenhagen, etc........suicide sad towns.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjyc7oxBmg4

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

im sick as gently caress right now and cant lift weights right now and feel like poo poo and dont know what to do ill probably just jump off the roof of my home

this study is bullshit

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Just another excuse for sadbrain fats to not exercise.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rasmussen posted:

Just another excuse for sadbrain fats to not exercise.

Wait, is this the thin privilege thread?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

down n out posted:

Wait, is this the thin privilege thread?

Thin privilege does not exist.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
If exercise or healthy eating cured your "depression" than you weren't actually depressed.

But you are dumb...

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Saucy Slit posted:

Well isn't this doctor flawed from the get go studying depression at such a Northern latitude? Really now; suicide and depression occur more where the sun is rare and the weather is poo poo. Seattle, Copenhagen, etc........suicide sad towns.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and my doctor doesn't even bother to test for vitamin D deficiency anymore, its universal.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Wicker Man posted:

Dumb poo poo thinks the exercise itself is some kind of super drug. It simply leads to other good things that help your sad brains.

yea, but no way can exercise help actual proper depression. nothing is gonna cure that apart from drugs.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

dude just wants to get out of grad school so he can be another unemployed phd

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
it's almost as if there are more than 1 factors involved in why exercise is good

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

hemale in pain posted:

yea, but no way can exercise help actual proper depression. nothing is gonna cure that apart from drugs.

only gettin g properly rammed in the rear end cures that

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Beef Turret posted:

No you see you have to spend a lot of time doing these repetitive motions over and over until your brain is tricked into thinking your life is good

lol op have you ever exercised once in your entire life

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Beef Turret posted:

No you see you have to spend a lot of time doing these repetitive motions over and over until your brain is tricked into thinking your life is good

ya it's called jerking off

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
I dunno exercise makes me able to do sex better and thus is worth it

I'm good at making sex btw

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
personally nothing makes me feel better than a brisk walk out in nature

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

personally nothing makes me feel better than a brisk walk out in nature

same but i have to be naked

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

its just that living in denmark is fundamentally uncurable without leaving the country

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
uh so what was the "exercise?" was it "run a bit" or was it a rigorous diet and training program that completely transformed the participants' bodies over two years?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Thanks for the heads up OP. Guess I'll stop wasting time bettering myself. Maybe I'll just lay in bed all day, switching between napping and jerking off.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
how many miles do you have to run to equal the effect of one milligram of zoloft

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
When you feel sad and blue, lift a few weiths and hit the treadmill. You'll feel right as rain in no time

-A loving MORON

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

VectorSigma posted:

depression is likely an evolved response to stressful living conditions and the only reason it presents psychologically is its conflict with modern society oh and also a lot of things that get called depression are probably other mechanisms both physiological and mental that are poorly understood if at all and anyone with a cure for "depression" should be viewed as skeptically as anyone who claims to have a cure for cancer

one of the new ideas for a generalized idea of "depression" is an underlying singular mechanism called "experiential avoidance", a simple consequence of having a valuation system (reward prediction errors and relative expected subjective value across cortically normalized topographical maps) that tells you to avoid bad things and go after good things.

in a nutshell, experiential avoidance is the removal of an uncomfortable situation that picks up more and more cues for what an uncomfortable situation is until all possible behaviors in a repertoire have been pared down. You can only do this to animals who are literally in an inescapable shock situation, but with people, we live in verbal time, our massive brains continually expose us to automatic valenced thoughts and make connections between events like crazy. depression, like any anxiety or panic disorder, or any substance addiction, as well as many compulsive "addictions" like sex, internet usage, binge watching, binge eating, etc. are easily brought under this generalized umbrella. When everything is stressful, everything gets pared down to the basics, but when everything is pared down to the basics, it turns out the basics in a modern human society are "lay down, cry"

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Yo, imma blob posted:

how many miles do you have to run to equal the effect of one milligram of zoloft

snort ritalin instead idiot

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

corpuscollossus posted:

When you feel sad and blue, lift a few weiths and hit the treadmill. You'll feel right as rain in no time

-A loving MORON

i'm sorry about your depression friend

dont sign your posts

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

i'm sorry about your depression friend

dont sign your posts

:negative:

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the best advise is to kill yourself actually - everyone just hates saying it, it's like how everyone knows its cruel to let their blind deaf old as poo poo dog live but they do it anyway because of misplaced guilt.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
yes my friend, as it turns out depression is one of our most rare and incurable mental illnesses :rolleyes:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and start being awesome instead.

True story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
People on the internet get really excited whenever a new excuse to not exercise comes up.

OPs buddy might have missed something, since at a basic level a lot of depression looks to be rooted in inflammation*, and exercise can lower systemic inflammation.

Unfortunately this conflicts with "shovel pizza, guzzle beer, sit on couch" so no one cares.

*This is a big thing being looked at, and its a massive thorn in the heart of the antidepressant "take them until you die" pill pusher crowd. It also overlaps with "being fat" since that is frequently coincident with inflammation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21485745

quote:

Mounting evidence indicates that inflammation may play a significant role in the development of depression. Patients with depression exhibit increased inflammatory markers, and administration of cytokines and other inflammatory stimuli can induce depressive symptoms. Mechanisms by which cytokines access the brain and influence neurotransmitter systems relevant to depression have also been described, as have preliminary findings indicating that antagonizing inflammatory pathways may improve depressive symptoms. One primary source of inflammation in depression appears to be adiposity. Adipose tissue is a rich source of inflammatory factors including adipokines, chemokines, and cytokines, and a bidirectional relationship between adiposity and depression has been revealed. Adiposity is associated with the development of depression, and depression is associated with adiposity, reflecting a potentional vicious cycle between these two conditions which appears to center around inflammation. Treatments targeting this vicious cycle may be especially relevant for the treatment and prevention of depression as well as its multiple comorbid disorders such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer, all of which have also been associated with both depression and inflammation.

Clinical depression is associated with a 30% increase of inflammation in the brain, according to a new study published in JAMA Psychiatry.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288715.php

Depression's Dance With Inflammation Why the body's natural protective response to injury, infection and stress may have unexpected emotional consequences.
http://discovermagazine.com/2014/julyaug/9-depressions-dance-with-inflammation

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/10/25/451169292/could-depression-be-caused-by-an-infection

quote:

A Danish study published in JAMA Psychiatry in 2013 looked at the medical records of over 3 million people and found that any history of hospitalization for infection was associated with a 62 percent increased risk of later developing a mood disorder, including depression and bipolar disorder.

... The idea that there could be a relationship between the immune system and brain disease isn't new. Autoantibodies were reported in schizophrenia patients in the 1930s. Subsequent work has detected antibodies to various neurotransmitter receptors in the brains of psychiatric patients, while a number of brain disorders, including multiple sclerosis, are known to involve abnormal immune system activity. Researchers at the University of Virginia recently identified a previously undiscovered network of vessels directly connecting the brain with the immune system; the authors concluded that an interplay between the two could significantly contribute to certain neurological and psychiatric conditions.

Both infection and autoimmune activity result in inflammation, our body's response to harmful stimuli, which in part involves a surge in immune system activity. And it's thought by many in the psychiatric research community that inflammation is somehow involved in depression and perhaps other mental illnesses.

Multiple studies have linked depression with elevated markers of inflammation, including two analyses from 2010 and 2012 that collectively reviewed data from 53 studies, as well as several postmortem studies. A large body of related research confirms that autoimmune and inflammatory activity in the brain is linked with psychiatric symptoms.

Inflammatory conditions may precipitate or perpetuate depression, but the precise relationship is unclear
http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/th...e08701d6dc.html

• Locked thread