Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The up side jaro is you may get the benefits if the fleet still wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Germans tend to have a bonus to armor, size, and secondaries. Japan has some big guns, but their reload time and turning time is awful.

You really have to look closely at the stats for their secondary and main guns to find out why someone wants to go german.

Also ship size / displacement is a huge thing.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Well, I'm already going down US line, and aiming is already a huge enough deal that takes forever and messes up with adjustments for targets turning, so I'm thinking I'll stay US BB line if I get that AND a in a smaller package than the other nations. Even if it costs some range/pen.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
German BBs have the best pen, best deck armor, middle of the pack damage. Their secondaries tend to be a good category larger, and by extension better pen then the others as well. This tend to follow for CAs as well.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Add the 1 star japanese officer that increases deck/belt armor and the corresponding upgrade slot items and they can take quiet the punishment and will shrug off a lot of attacks that are not from BBs and even those will sometimes bounce.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

German BBs have the best pen, best deck armor, middle of the pack damage. Their secondaries tend to be a good category larger, and by extension better pen then the others as well. This tend to follow for CAs as well.

Their CA line seems to be prominently end in Pocketbattleships.
Which is good + cool.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

What's the best way to get officers without spending tons of money?

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Kylra posted:

What's the best way to get officers without spending tons of money?

Do the events that give merit and save up for a 10 roll. The events that give commanders for hitting certain tiers aren't bad either.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

quote:

thats the way to clear a sub. isnt the sub going to deep water, dont hesitate to send a few pedo's his way. spam pedo's that will make em go to deep waters to avoid the pedo's.. japanese subs are REALLY big 2x the size of a german sub, but they DO carry more pedo tubes,
http://steamcommunity.com/app/390670/discussions/0/496881136922721610/

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Germany's ships catch fire as easily as their loving tanks. :negative:

I'm surprised that their goddamned don't randomly burst into flames like the Pinto.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

Germany's ships catch fire as easily as their loving tanks. :negative:

I'm surprised that their goddamned don't randomly burst into flames like the Pinto.

Is that what the resiliance stat affects?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Kylra posted:

Is that what the resiliance stat affects?

If you highlight the 20-day login commander, it defines resilience. I think it said component health, yeah.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Do the events that give merit and save up for a 10 roll. The events that give commanders for hitting certain tiers aren't bad either.

Is there a reason to save up for the 10 roll rather than go for 1 rolls? they cost exactly the same / roll

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

In case of the gold version it says the 10-roll has an increased chance for higher rarity commanders, same is not true (or at least not llisted in the description) for the merit-only version. So I'd say it doesn't matter how you spend your merrits.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Jaroslav posted:

Is there a reason to save up for the 10 roll rather than go for 1 rolls? they cost exactly the same / roll

Part of me wants to believe they just forgot to translate that it has a higher chance to give rare guys. I mean it's a phone game mechanic, it has to be better than single rolls. :negative:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Applied to the guild.

I am really bad at this. I push too hard and get lit up by the entire team because my team is too busy trying to fire torpedoes across the map.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just a heads-up: If you try to buy something with silver but don't have enough, the game will offer to automatically convert gold to silver to afford it. So make sure not to blindly click through the dialogue windows and accidentally waste gold this way.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Just a heads-up: If you try to buy something with silver but don't have enough, the game will offer to automatically convert gold to silver to afford it. So make sure not to blindly click through the dialogue windows and accidentally waste gold this way.

hope you didn't have to experience this first

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
applied as Junkozeyne

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So I found this in the game files

it was called DIYpaintconfig

so that may be neat

also go to Steam\steamapps\common\Steel Ocean\Binaries\win32\CachedImg to see what flags the game has downloaded to your computer, like the isis flag

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

The MM just decided to not give a gently caress and dropped me in a 5vs5 Tier4 game. With 3 subs on each side, the other dudes had two CLs and I was in an Yubari CL with some BB as backup. Both the enemies CL decided to try to snipe towards the single, central cap point and my BB agreed with this approach. My subs stalked towards the centre while the enemies subs charged right in. Torpedoed and depth charged the poo poo out of them, soloed the game. Second round in the Yubari, 2nd MVP medal and my first "Perfect Play" and "Vanguard" medal for not losing a single allied ship and basically capping solo (80+%). :unsmith:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I gave this a brief spin when it came out a few days ago and wasn't too impressed. Looks like the bastard child of Navy Field and World of Warships.

The good thing is that there are way more ships already than in WOWS, but all in all the game seems to have a much milder learning curve and a lot less fidelity. Might try it again for a few rounds before I decide if I want to stick with it until WOWS get their poo poo together.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerstein posted:

I gave this a brief spin when it came out a few days ago and wasn't too impressed. Looks like the bastard child of Navy Field and World of Warships.

The good thing is that there are way more ships already than in WOWS, but all in all the game seems to have a much milder learning curve and a lot less fidelity. Might try it again for a few rounds before I decide if I want to stick with it until WOWS get their poo poo together.

There are a lot of under the hood differences between the two. Fires , while not deadly in the DOT damage sense of WoT, fires can and will blow you the gently caress up if you ammo cooks off. Same with explosions on your ship, etc. The damage model seems a lot more satisfying in this game. Damage feels more simulation like but the speed of combat is more arcadey.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

There are a lot of under the hood differences between the two. Fires , while not deadly in the DOT damage sense of WoT, fires can and will blow you the gently caress up if you ammo cooks off. Same with explosions on your ship, etc. The damage model seems a lot more satisfying in this game. Damage feels more simulation like but the speed of combat is more arcadey.

Agreed. It reminds me of Navyfield in a good way, with a lot of things I wish wargaming would have implemented. The scouting system in this is miles better.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

It's pretty much just MMO Battlestations, which is what I was hoping WoWs would be.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I guess I'm not good enough to drive boates with goons. :smith:

I didn't get an invite again.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Klaus88 posted:

You don't get an invite. You apply.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The speed is really one of the best things about this game. In warships you just spend so much time idling. The fighting itself isn't much faster, guns don't fire any faster and ships don't die much faster. Mostly you just don't wait as long for things to happen.

They got the basic gameplay a lot more right than Wargaming did. It's not bonkers multitasking but you almost always have something to do.

I do hope they bother to look at the game balance. Experience is pretty balanced between classes and I never really feel useless, but it takes really disproportionate effort/luck to win against a decent battleship player when you don't have a decent battleship player of your own.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

I really don't think you are cut out for this. Train for a few years and come back.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Destroyer zigzag charge an open flank and torpedo. Skill won't make them psychic or able to see the future enough to accurately hit where you'll be without luck or if you're predictable. If you move in a straight line, you die to battleships. Simple.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kylra posted:

Destroyer zigzag charge an open flank and torpedo. Skill won't make them psychic or able to see the future enough to accurately hit where you'll be without luck or if you're predictable. If you move in a straight line, you die to battleships. Simple.

If you're at a good range making a course correction when you see the battleship's flashes will often make them miss you. Another way to make battleships less accurate is to fire a long range spread to force them to turn. Of course you have to be able to lead threateningly enough to force a turn, though.

One thing I noticed is that while my Atlanta absolutely shat on DDs and other cruisers, its larger size(especially height-wise) made it a lot easier for battleships to put more of their shots on target.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

How not to BB:

Never stopping

Never moving

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I got a message saying I was removed from the fleet. It won't let me re-apply, is there a way for me to get back in?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Panzeh posted:

If you're at a good range making a course correction when you see the battleship's flashes will often make them miss you. Another way to make battleships less accurate is to fire a long range spread to force them to turn. Of course you have to be able to lead threateningly enough to force a turn, though.

One thing I noticed is that while my Atlanta absolutely shat on DDs and other cruisers, its larger size(especially height-wise) made it a lot easier for battleships to put more of their shots on target.
Lol If you turn your battleship because a destroyer fires it's not torpedo guns at you while you're lining up a shot on said destroyer. Just one shot it after tanking the hit. I only turn for torpedoes or other battleships unless I'm not firing anyway or am going to be completely overrun.

By which I mean give it a shot because a lot of battleship players might actually be scared by that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Duckaerobics posted:

I got a message saying I was removed from the fleet. It won't let me re-apply, is there a way for me to get back in?

Sorry, I did that. No one changed your rank so I knew you were a goon.

We needed space, let me kick some other untagged goons.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Message me as Grithok when you get in the game or bug me on mumble. I can invite you that way via friends list. That is if reapplying fails again.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also I start off assuming that enemy battleships are worse at aiming than I am so I don't turn my battleship for them half the time I'm lining up a shot either. Because they often are.

Torpedoes are mean though.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Applied as Kampkraft

I really like that even low tier battleships can hit something and not hope that RNGesus is there to save them that day.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Played a couple of games. Submarinin' is great fun but Jesus people are bad with them.

Also feels like depth charges could use a bit more oomph. Something like 3x the area of effect. Dc runs are almost trivial to avoid.
Would also like more oxygen thank you verymuch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Consumables can help you with oxygen, or being a large rear end japan submarine. There are a few officers as well.

• Locked thread