Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tendai posted:

Part of prayer is ritual washing and I'm pretty sure I said "if we pray"

So imagine me flipping you off with like really clean hands

I wasn't responding to you so I'm not sure why you're attacking me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
Dune was good. Like really really good.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I really love the devotion they show in their ritual prayer

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I think the modesty and protection from lustful male gaze that burkas and hijabs offer is a good thing for womenswear

I think western decadent-feminism that encourages women to empower themselves by embracing their utility as objects of male desire is harmful to women.

I think a burka, worn by a woman choosing to follow God, is WAY more feminist than say....Miley Cyrus and the millions of young women who think like her

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
They outlawed debt peonage

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
they invited zero or negative numbers or I don't know what the gently caress but we use them in math or some poo poo

Algebra? Arabic word. Alcohol? Arabic

too bad they dont drink they should own that poo poo at bars they'd get them on the house

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

The Turks invented spirits, they say they only did it to make perfume but nobody believes that. Thanks for the Raki lads

Facial covering is enforced by agrarian patriarchal societies and entrenches control over reproductive rights... but you already knew that :allears:

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

read this as jawas

sand people HAVE killed a bunch of jawas.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Facial covering is enforced by agrarian patriarchal societies and entrenches control over reproductive rights... but you already knew that :allears:

As those societies modernize, secular Muslim men have increasingly decided that they'd rather look at hot women than worry about who's having sex with them and in Westernized Islamic society women who choose to veil themselves are making a deliberate choice to buck the trend, which is cool and good.

Mandatory veiling is pretty lovely though.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

The Turks invented spirits, they say they only did it to make perfume but nobody believes that. Thanks for the Raki lads

It's not always about that.

Facial coverings have a liberating potential for women, but yes they can also be used to oppress.

That's why I said it's good when it's a woman choosing to do it because she wants to follow God

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

As those societies modernize, secular Muslim men have increasingly decided that they'd rather look at hot women than worry about who's having sex with them and in Westernized Islamic society women who choose to veil themselves are making a deliberate choice to buck the trend, which is cool and good.

Yeah what he said :)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Every Musilm I have ever known personally has been really nice?

Ah well I'm sure GBS knows best

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

they invited zero or negative numbers or I don't know what the gently caress but we use them in math or some poo poo

The profound impact of Islamic scholars for mathematics and science can not be overstated

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

A Muslim friend from college is very outspoken about Muslims setting good examples and fighting extremism. He also does s lot of really great community work and has been featured and recognized publically for his work in Ferguson with regards to police brutality. He talks the talk and walks the walk, offering free courses to these communities about their rights and legal services for people who are being abused or taken advantage of.

He basically does all the stuff that most liberals and leftists talk about all the time.

He's proud of his Muslim identity and is one of the most socially conscious people I've had the privilege of meeting.

His demonstration of his faith through action has inspired me to work harder to allow my actions and service reflect my faith in Christ.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

The Muslims I met at university seem to all be examples of The Good Ones, while the Muslims who do bad things seem to come from places with messed up economies, neo-feudalism, or places destroyed by war.

It almost seems like the material conditions have some impact on ideological development

Could it be that......gasp...Marx was right??

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

petra is kind of cool and made a good setting for the 3rd indiana jones movie

true but islam had nothing to do with in since it was made 800 years before muhammed

the taj mahal is good. though I don't know what a current imam would say about constructing a giant palace tomb to glorify your dead wife, as opposed to constructing a giant palace mosque to glorify god (and coincidentally for the imams to live in)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Klyith posted:

true but islam had nothing to do with in since it was made 800 years before muhammed

the taj mahal is good. though I don't know what a current imam would say about constructing a giant palace tomb to glorify your dead wife, as opposed to constructing a giant palace mosque to glorify god (and coincidentally for the imams to live in)

It sucks how the guys son stopped his crazy dad from building the counterpart, that was a wildly financially bad plan that wouls have been rad as gently caress

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Good thing the op's mom isn't muslim because I sure love having lots of sex with her (if she was a muslim it would be haram because we aren't married)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Professor Shark posted:

It sucks how the guys son stopped his crazy dad from building the counterpart, that was a wildly financially bad plan that wouls have been rad as gently caress
the black taj is a good story but completely mythical

a very plausible one though is Ludwig of Bavaria, who was obsessed by building fairy-tale castles (this being the mid 1800s so castles were completely obsolete militarily). the extravagant construction was bankrupting the country so the ministers had him drowned and/or shot.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think women from the middle east are v. attractive. I guess that's not Muslim specific but who cares

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

ThePriceIsRight posted:

they repress their women so they come over here and binge on sex and drug s with me or at least they probably would if i left the house and talked to them

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

While the Lebanon is a place of many cultures and religions, Tabouleh is the best dish ever created

Gabriel Pope posted:

As those societies modernize, secular Muslim men have increasingly decided that they'd rather look at hot women than worry about who's having sex with them

Secular or religious, modernised patriarchal society wants it both ways. Madonna-Whore complex poo poo

quote:

and in Westernized Islamic society women who choose to veil themselves are making a deliberate choice to buck the trend, which is cool and good.

True, I have a choice to buck the trend of driving sober but there are some serious disincentives to doing so. OTOH my family won't arrange for a beaker of acid in the face if I do get a DUI

There is nothing in the Q'uran about purdah, its got little to do with God

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 15, 2015

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Commie NedFlanders posted:

They have contributed profoundly to the intellectual development of mankind.

Their grasp of numbers, use of zero, and development of algebra changed the world of abstract symbolic thought. Also their passion for knowledge through testing helped develop the scientific method.

The European renaissance would not have been possible without the interaction with the Muslim world.

Every Muslim I've known personally are wonderful, charitable, service oriented people.

As a Christian, I believe this is a good thread and it's the best way to respond to violent extremists

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Klyith posted:

the black taj is a good story but completely mythical

a very plausible one though is Ludwig of Bavaria, who was obsessed by building fairy-tale castles (this being the mid 1800s so castles were completely obsolete militarily). the extravagant construction was bankrupting the country so the ministers had him drowned and/or shot.

drat!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Pork is often very dangerous, you can be sure food is good quality if it's Halal

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I think a serious jihadista might one day take out Commie Ned Flanders (this is more of a potential good thing than an extant good thing)

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
al-Gebra isn't good, it's bad and uncool just ask any high school student.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
the good ones tend to be pretty left-wing??

their history is interesting??

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

dethkon posted:

al-Gebra isn't good, it's bad and uncool just ask any high school student.

literally googled al-gebra

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
the name of their religion sort of works in that old rhyem i scream you scream we all scream for islam

wait i don't know if that is good or not

are they happy screams or the bad kind of screams?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

It's not always about that.

Facial coverings have a liberating potential for women, but yes they can also be used to oppress.

That's why I said it's good when it's a woman choosing to do it because she wants to follow God

:nsa:

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

the name of their religion sort of works in that old rhyem i scream you scream we all scream for islam

wait i don't know if that is good or not

are they happy screams or the bad kind of screams?

We all scream for Muslims! is the rhyme you are looking for here

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

True, I have a choice to buck the trend of driving sober but there are some serious disincentives to doing so. OTOH my family won't arrange for a beaker of acid in the face if I do get a DUI

What are the serious disincentives for a woman in secular society choosing not to let men ogle her at will?

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

His demonstration of his faith through action has inspired me to work harder to allow my actions and service reflect my faith in Christ.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa get out of here with your works-based salvation

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I wasn't responding to you so I'm not sure why you're attacking me
Oh sorry I misunderstood and also GBS

Sorry friend have a party :toot:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

A Stupid Baby posted:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa get out of here with your works-based salvation

My actions are not righteous enough earn salvation, not st all, I'm a regular sinner. Salvation is by faith and grace. Win this salvation comes a relationship with God that grows as I study his word and practice following his law. It's changed my life!

I simply want to share and reflect the truth of God's love, so that motivates me to follow his law. God is able to love and accept me in all of my awfulness, it's amazing to me. If God can love and accept me, despite knowing every fault and sin, then certainly I can love and accept myself, which allows me to love and accept other people.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Commie Ned, you are actually causing me to come to a deeper understanding of our Muslim brothers (specifically the ones who want to bring jihad)

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Gabriel Pope posted:

What are the serious disincentives for a woman in secular society choosing not to let men ogle her at will?

If that choice involves the veil, social and economic exclusion. it's pretty awesome

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tendai posted:

Oh sorry I misunderstood and also GBS

Sorry friend have a party :toot:

I hope that you as a Muslim and I as a non Muslim can sit down one day as friends and enjoy a cold beer and pulled pork sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I hope that you as a Muslim and I as a non Muslim can sit down one day as friends and enjoy a cold beer and pulled pork sandwich.
Well I don't like beer much and I don't eat pork but how about a joint and a reuben would that work for you

• Locked thread