Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren: THE RECIPROCAL FAILURE KICKSTARTER IS NOW LIVE :siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
Pledge your support at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/208011788/reciprocal-failure-a-photography-zine

Submit your photos to dorkroomzine@gmail.com
Deadline: December 5

Please name your files consistently: "username_realname_imagetitle.jpg" - this makes it much easier to sort. Image title isn't required, just something to differentiate one image in your batch vs. the others.

This thread comes straight to you from the Photobooks thread, where some spitballing was done about the prospects of making a Dorkroom Zine.

WHAT IS A ZINE?
A zine (/ˈziːn/ zeen; an abbreviation of fanzine or magazine) is most commonly a small circulation self-published work of original or appropriated texts and images usually reproduced via photocopier. A popular definition includes that circulation must be 1,000 or fewer, although in practice the majority are produced in editions of fewer than 100, and profit is not the primary intent of publication. They are informed by anarchopunk and DIY ethos.

Since the Dorkroom is such a haven of sophistication and class, there's no way we'll be producing this thing on lovely photocopy paper though. More on that later.

Some examples, to further illustrate the idea:

So, what's this about a Dorkroom Zine, then?
The basic idea is to publish a zine filled with photos by Dorkroomers. I'd like to think it'll be a representation of people's best work, but hey, whatever. Of course, making a physical zine costs real-world money, so if you want to be a part of this crazy project, you're going to have to be willing to buy a copy (price to be determined, depending on how much content we have and the quality of the materials.)

Who are you, elgarbo, and how are you qualified to do this?
I'm probably not qualified, but hey, I've got the time and the willingness to organise it. I've made a zine, I know a guy who owns a company printing these things and did a real swell job on my first run around and the price was really reasonable. I've investigated and priced different qualities of paper. I also have some vague experience with putting together one of these things in InDesign - it's probably not going to be a masterpiece of design, but for a Dorkroom publication it'll probably suffice. I am quite happy to do this as a hobby and have no intention of making any money out of this thing whatsoever.

That said, if there's anyone else with the time and willingness to get involved, I'd be grateful for the assistance.

What's the process?
There are a few things that will need to happen to get this off the ground. They are:

1. People registering their interest in participating.
2. Deciding on a name for this fine publication
3. Deciding on the cover photograph
4. Deciding on paper stock
5. Receiving submissions from everyone participating.
6. Collating it into some sort of vaguely aesthetically pleasing design.
7. Finalising the cost.
8. Receiving moneys.
9. Printing / posting.
10. Celebrate!

So, if I participate, what can I contribute?
I envision that everyone who participates will get a double page spread to show off their work. Each page of the zine will be 8 inches wide by 10 inches high, so you'll have a total space to work with of 16 wide by 10 high across the fold of the page. You can fill that space with as much or as little work as you like, as I see it. I'm also happy to take written text, so if you want to write a little spiel about your photos, by all means. If you want to write a little poem about your photos, unusual... but cool. If you want to draw and scan a little picture that goes with your photos, that's also fine. If you don't want to submit any photos whatsoever, but you want to write an essay about photography, that's also not a problem. As long as it all relates to photography in some way, and it fits across a double page spread.

Let's talk cash money
It's hard to pin down a precise figure, because that will depend entirely on the number of pages and the quality of materials. In all likelihood, the cost could be anywhere between $5 and $20 Australian pesos, not including postage. Postage costs are roughly $2.10 within Australia for one zine, $5 to New Zealand and about $7 anywhere else in the world.

The value of the Australian dollar is currently spiralling into the abyss, so there is every chance that by the time this project comes to its conclusion, your real-world dollars will be able to purchase an infinite supply of this quality publication for the equivalent of a stick of gum.

Sounds rad, I want to get involved.
Sweet. Leave a message in this here thread and we can get to work.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Currently involved:
elgarbo (join me!)
Tony Two Bapes
rohan
Pukestain Pal
iSheep
alkanphel
PushingKingston
365 Nog Hogger
daspope
Dren
MrBlandAverage
feigning interest
BANME.sh
RangerScum
HookShot
8th-snype
Mrenda
BobTheCow
Thoogsby
BetterLekNextTime
Spedman
Jimlad
bobmarleysghost
Shellman
Saint Fu
Soopafly
voodoorootbeer
ansel autisms
unpacked robinhood
Breadnought
Mido
Captain Organ
MythObstacle IV
Jeromas
JSW2
pootiebigwang
ohrwurm
TomR
Ric
Minkee
Putrid Grin
McMadcow
ExecuDork
Helen Highwater
LogisticsEarth
Chekans 3 16
Primo Itch
huhu
VomitOnLimo

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 23, 2015

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
I would like to participate in this zine.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I'm in to contribute and help out in any way I can.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I'm in. I have plenty of photos that I can use to bring down the quality of the zine.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pukestain Pal posted:

I'm in. I have plenty of photos that I can use to bring down the quality of the zine.

Same.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Well I'm definitely in for this.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
I'm all for zine participation.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
In, of course. Thanks so much for organizing!

Are we thinking about distributing a bit or just for internal consumption? If people are thinking of going that way I would want to put in money for some copies to put up for consignment at bookshop or two. It would probably be prudent to not put any specific mention of SA in there in that case...

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

365 Nog Hogger posted:

In, of course. Thanks so much for organizing!

Are we thinking about distributing a bit or just for internal consumption? If people are thinking of going that way I would want to put in money for some copies to put up for consignment at bookshop or two. It would probably be prudent to not put any specific mention of SA in there in that case...

I am totally open to either option. The more copies made the cheaper printing gets. And of course we could make a bit of cash to split between everyone or offset the costs for production or whatever.

It's probably easier to figure out the logistics of that sort of thing when we have a definite number of participants, but it's worth keeping in mind as we design it so we don't end up with a product full of in-jokes that nobody else would have any interest in.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I would be interested in participating. I have experience with layout, paper, and printing if you need any help with that.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I would like to participate. Thank you for organizing. Any idea for how you will accept work? Do you want us to mock up a two page spread? Choose from a list of layouts and select photos ourselves? Give you a bunch of photos and allow you to curate?

Are you going to collect some or all money before you accept submissions?

Dren fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 15, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I'm in.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I'm down

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Dren posted:

I would like to participate. Thank you for organizing. Any idea for how you will accept work? Do you want us to mock up a two page spread? Choose from a list of layouts and select photos ourselves? Give you a bunch of photos and allow you to curate?

Are you going to collect some or all money before you accept submissions?

I'll most likely mock up a couple of sample layouts that people can choose from. I'd prefer to let people choose their photos, but it might be rad if we came to a general agreement about what sort of aesthetic we're going for (democracy is fun.)

Basically what I'm saying is if you submit some sort of technicolour HDR madness I'd expect it won't make the cut.

As for money - I'll just leave it for now. We'll get a full list of interested people, figure out how many pages it's going to be and what the actual cost will be to produce.. then I'll ask for money and anyone who doesn't get it by the deadline will be mercilessly culled. I won't be sending anything to get printed until all the payments balance, so nobody should end up out of pocket.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I'm in. I also have basic experience with layout, but probably no more than you already do.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 15, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
In, please.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm definitely in too.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Im down

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm in.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
This sounds fun, I'll contribute! Thanks for getting it started.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
In.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Count me in. I've never done anything like this before.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So the first order of business, as contributors start to roll in...

What shall we call this heaving beast of a zine? Something short, punchy, camera-related. Any ideas?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
reciprocal failure

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm in too if its not too late.

Wild EEPROM posted:

reciprocal failure

This is a good title.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Spedman posted:

I'm in too if its not too late.

Most definitely not too late.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Bully-curated aesthetics

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Wild EEPROM posted:

reciprocal failure

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Sounds fun, why not. Can't wait for my lovely photos to get lost in the pages amongst other lovely photos.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Count me in.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Sounds like a good time. Definitely interested. Nthing this:

Wild EEPROM posted:

reciprocal failure

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 16, 2015

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

reciprocal failure

I like this

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'd like in too if you'll have me

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Okay. So assuming we're going with Reciprocal Failure, I'll mock up a few possible (simple) logos.

If anyone has any design experience with logos and can do something fancy and wants to try something better, you're very welcome to throw your attempts into this thread

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
I'll participate.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
I'm in.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I wanna throw down.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Here's some logo designs. I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing so please feel free to make something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like the 5th one better. Also I'm in

• Locked thread