Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I'll set up an account shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Okay, let's try this again.

Deadline: December 5, approximately
Instructions: Send FIVE high resolution print-ready files to dorkroomzine@gmail.com where they will be culled mercilessly by ansel autisms and then those that survive will be transformed into a transcendent art zine.

What does print ready mean?
There's probably people who know the answer to this better than I do, so feel free to chip in. For my purposes, I need a file that is at least about 2000 pixels wide along the horizontal plane. Unless your idea of art is having your photos printed to look like a smudgy mess (which may be an improvement, I concede.) Preferably, you'll have calibrated your monitor so you're pleased with the colours in your shot as well.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Thoogsby posted:

Seems pretty obvious to me.

This unironically.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

elgarbo posted:

Okay, let's try this again.

Deadline: December 5, approximately
Instructions: Send FIVE high resolution print-ready files to dorkroomzine@gmail.com where they will be culled mercilessly by ansel autisms and then those that survive will be transformed into a transcendent art zine.

There's probably people who know the answer to this better than I do, so feel free to chip in. For my purposes, I need a file that is at least about 2000 pixels wide along the horizontal plane. Unless your idea of art is having your photos printed to look like a smudgy mess (which may be an improvement, I concede.) Preferably, you'll have calibrated your monitor so you're pleased with the colours in your shot as well.

Also some notes from me:

Please name your files consistently: "username_realname_imagetitle.jpg" - this makes it much easier to sort. Image title isn't required, just something to differentiate one image in your batch vs. the others.
Be aware that what you send is what's going to get printed.

Can we get this added to the OP for posterity?

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 19, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Spedman posted:

This unironically.

It's seriously the best option.

Probably going to use this as an excuse to buy a ColorMunki.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Thoogsby posted:

It's seriously the best option.

If our zine is going to be full of internet jokes I'm out. This is a good idea, let's not ruin it with silliness.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

McMadCow posted:

If our zine is going to be full of internet jokes I'm out. This is a good idea, let's not ruin it with silliness.

Good opinions

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

Seems pretty obvious to me.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I wouldn't drop out if the intro was largely / entirely in-jokes, but I'd much prefer a proper intro.

This is a comedy website and I think the intro / foreword should reflect that fact and mention SomethingAwful.com by name. I'm not insisting that it be jokes, I'd like it to be reasonably serious but with a flavour suited to the ironic / sarcastic theme we've already established with the title and cover image. We can be funny and ironic and sarcastic and silly (in fact, I'd really like that!) but in a way that's accessible to people outside this little echo-chamber and in a way that won't be instantly out-of-date as soon as ink splashes on paper.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

Good opinions

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Yeah we'll have a proper intro. I'm happy to write something myself (I'm an English teacher, I like to think I have some sort of control of the English language...) but if there's a hidden wordsmith lurking in the Dorkroom I'm happy for someone else to have a crack at it.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

dusting projects with memes is cool and good but i'd like this to be more about the photos than our caustic culture

thats just me

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Let's leave the acceleration joke in the internet domain. No need to make it real by printing it on paper.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
if anything bury a joke in the dedication or copywright info not in the intro

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I agree with all three of the previous posts.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I'm in, if my photos pass muster. Either way I'm in for a copy or two since this is a really good idea.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

This is a comedy website and I think the intro / foreword should reflect that fact and mention SomethingAwful.com by name.

I really don't see why it should.

Our work is being curated by the Autist. That's the thread through the body of work, not SA.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The mad bovine gets it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Every contributor, and the originator of the idea* and the curator all have one thing in common - we're all members of this internet forum. I don't know any Dorkroom goons in real life except for my one meeting with Revolucion, a meeting entirely based on a thread in this forum. I don't follow anybody on Flickr or any other image-hosting site. I wouldn't know the name "Ansel Adams", let alone any other justifiably-famous professional or important photographer if not for the discussions here.

My photography is heavily influenced by the SomethingAwful.com Dorkroom. I might be an outlier in that respect, I don't know, but if it wasn't for the posters in this thread (and others), it's unlikely I'd take this photography hobby of mine half as seriously, or gain half as much from it.

I am not an artist, and I have spoken with a handful of self-described artists in my life - and I admit this is a point against any claims I might make to living a rich life. So I am unfamiliar with the level of importance granted by a body of work being curated by a single individual, absent any professional or institutional affiliation. If I'm accidentally implying that SA is comparable to a museum, I apologize, but I think this website is at least as significant a thread going through this project as anything else.

* Can we refer to elgarbo as the publisher?

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I don't mind having humor in the introduction, but having random internet memes that are only local to SA is a bit much. Nothing screams "lack of effort" more than tired, lame jokes.

As for the "print readiness", do we have any other guidelines we could use? Are there any color profiles available? Do we know what paper is being used (glossy, matte etc.). I assume 300 dpi files are the standard. Also, I would assume that not everyone might want to have their images displayed as large as possible. Do we have any control of the layout of the two pages each person is allotted?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

elgarbo posted:

Do you know what the print area of each page is? If so, we could send a file with the correct dimensions to print at a chosen size, so it will be sharpened to the level intended and not altered by any deliberate reduction in photoshop (sharper) or fitting to canvas in indesign (less sharp). Also, an image sharpened for print will look terrible on screen.

ExecuDork posted:

So I am unfamiliar with the level of importance granted by a body of work being curated by a single individual, absent any professional or institutional affiliation. If I'm accidentally implying that SA is comparable to a museum, I apologize, but I think this website is at least as significant a thread going through this project as anything else.
Stating SA as a link would understate the juried/curated element. As a reader and as a participant, I would find it a turnoff. It's better to present the work as that of people with an unspecified link.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Putrid Grin posted:

As for the "print readiness", do we have any other guidelines we could use? Are there any color profiles available? Do we know what paper is being used (glossy, matte etc.). I assume 300 dpi files are the standard. Also, I would assume that not everyone might want to have their images displayed as large as possible. Do we have any control of the layout of the two pages each person is allotted?

The paper will be matte or semi matte. 300dpi is ideal but not this being a zine, lower dpi files should be okay if you can't provide that level of quality.

As to size and page layouts, I'll put together some mockup pages a little later in the process so that contributors who make it through the curating process can choose how their photos are presented.

Ric posted:

Do you know what the print area of each page is? If so, we could send a file with the correct dimensions to print at a chosen size, so it will be sharpened to the level intended and not altered by any deliberate reduction in photoshop (sharper) or fitting to canvas in indesign (less sharp). Also, an image sharpened for print will look terrible on screen.

Full bleed is 8x10 inches. We can use the entire dimensions of the page if we want.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

You should provide 2-3 different layouts that people can pick and choose to populate their photos in. That way we avoid a schizophrenic book while keeping it looking different enough.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

bobmarleysghost posted:

You should provide 2-3 different layouts that people can pick and choose to populate their photos in. That way we avoid a schizophrenic book while keeping it looking different enough.

Yep that's the plan, obviously allowing for different formats.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
After this discussion I rescind my approval of this "acceleration" joke.

And the reason why is that I think we should try and make this a recurring zine and not a one off, say quarterly or biannual, with different dorkroom curators perhaps, but the same submission/rejection/printing process we're figuring out now, so the process can become somewhat streamlined.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The zine probably won't have a much of an audience outside of ourselves but I don't really see why SA shouldn't be mentioned in a little blurb somewhere. We all registered for different reasons but we all found our way here and weren't put off by any gbs cuck thread.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I would prefer to keep mention of SA or the dorkroom out of it. One reason is that it would be easier to show people and not have to explain what the dorkroom is.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
We sticking to one photo per page for consistency?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

RangerScum posted:

We sticking to one photo per page for consistency?

IMO we should stick to 1 per but there might be a situation where something like a large image on top with 2 small on bottom would communicate intent more than a single image.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I sent my photos in :)

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Also, potentially panoramic photos could cross the fold.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Spedman posted:

And the reason why is that I think we should try and make this a recurring zine and not a one off, say quarterly or biannual, with different dorkroom curators perhaps, but the same submission/rejection/printing process we're figuring out now, so the process can become somewhat streamlined.

I would absolutely love to curate/edit a future issue. I tend to get pretty hardcore critical as my students know, but I do love the process.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

McMadCow posted:

I would absolutely love to curate/edit a future issue.
Ditto

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

The paper will be matte or semi matte. 300dpi is ideal but not this being a zine, lower dpi files should be okay if you can't provide that level of quality.

As to size and page layouts, I'll put together some mockup pages a little later in the process so that contributors who make it through the curating process can choose how their photos are presented.

Full bleed is 8x10 inches. We can use the entire dimensions of the page if we want.

It would be good to know what is the printer's lpi and printing type e.g. halftone / continuous tone so that we can prepare the files for output sharpening. Plus it's hard to sharpen if we don't know the exact image output dimensions on the layout. So technically this should be done after curation.

Or we can just ignore all of that and sharpen for matte.

With regards to the intro, I'd rather not mention SA anyway but talk more about why we're doing this and about the photos as well. I feel that the curator should have some input in the intro as he is the one doing the curation after all, so he can talk about how he chose the photos, on a general level.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

We should probably send them all unsharpened. If elgarbo is able to make a proof, that will reveal how much if any needs to be done and then it's a matter of running the same level of sharpening and reinserting them into the template. A PITA for sure, but probably the only way to get a consistent product.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

McMadCow posted:

We should probably send them all unsharpened. If elgarbo is able to make a proof, that will reveal how much if any needs to be done and then it's a matter of running the same level of sharpening and reinserting them into the template. A PITA for sure, but probably the only way to get a consistent product.

Since some of us have already sent photos, perhaps it's easier for elgarbo to just take what everyone has sent (and that has been curated by ansel autisms) to do a nice layout and once everyone is satisfied, he gives us the final print dimensions and we do the necessary resizing and output sharpening.

But otherwise I don't mind re-sending unsharpened images again. Depends on the workflow elgarbo wants to do.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Spedman posted:

lets just get this one thing out the door and see how it goes from there, i think scoping anything but this one zine itself is goon-project-pitfall as hell

i have both done and seen this done way too many times.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Hey guys, just send whatever high-res images are most convenient and I'll figure it out from there. If they need sharpening or re-sizing later I can chase you up. Let's keep this process as user friendly and straightforward as possible so as to ensure the highest chance of success.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I would prefer no words, personally. It's a disparate collection of images from many different people, there isn't much to be said other than "here are some pictures, we hope people like them (or not)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I would prefer no words, personally. It's a disparate collection of images from many different people, there isn't much to be said other than "here are some pictures, we hope people like them (or not)"

Eh, since it is exactly that, it would be nice to have a short statement to tie them up into a cohesive whole, and present some sort of a framework.

• Locked thread