Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
just do what i do op and nuke your driveway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Elman posted:

I'm told you can't just shoot your gun in your lawn for no reason either, despite castle doctrine, WTF???

you can if you're shooting voles

and they're black

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
u dont need a flamethrower you can just use a big blowtorch. you should do it I know a ton of people who do this.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
just get a 4WD and stop bitching, OP

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Swamp Fancy posted:

Just shoot the snow with your gun, using a flame thrower seems a little excessive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnA9yyE2ma8

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

I'm told you can't just shoot your gun in your lawn for no reason either, despite castle doctrine, WTF???

it's because the snow is white :ssh:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elman posted:

What, are flamethrowers not officially "guns"? I expected better from you, America.

All I know is I can order napalm and a flamethrower online and if that isn't peak America idk what is.

Also Fargo dude owns:

quote:

Fox stated that he was simply “fed up with battling the elements” and that he did not possess the willpower necessary to move “four billion tons of white bull poo poo.”

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 17, 2015

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elman posted:

What, are flamethrowers not officially "guns"? I expected better from you, America.

Some places classify them as airguns? :shrug:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why even use a flamethrower just pour diesel everywhere and light it.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

"A South African inventor brought the Blaster car mounted flamethrower to market in 1998 as a security device to defend against carjackers. It has since been discontinued, with the inventor moving on to pocket-sized self-defence flamethrowers."

LOL

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

This is like when you read stories of some moron burning down his house cuz he tried to thaw the pipes with an acetylene torch

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

haljordan posted:

This is like when you read stories of some moron burning down his house cuz he tried to thaw the pipes with an acetylene torch

there is nothing wrong with this

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The reason you shouldn't use a flame thrower to clear your driveway is because, if you have your car parked out there, most body panels are made of plastic, so lighting a your driveway would be a great way to melt a bumper.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Isaac posted:

Why even use a flamethrower just pour diesel everywhere and light it.

Have you ever tried to start a diesel on a cold day

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Why not shovel *and* use some fire sparingly? There is a middle between dying of a heart attack in your driveway and burning down the neighbors fence.

Honestly I don't give a gently caress I've got a kick-rear end Ariens two stage yall can kiss my show blowing rear end, burn your loving house down I double dog dare you

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
You can get a propane torch at Home Depot for killing weeds and, uh, wreaking havok. It would probably be a pretty fun and inefficient way to clear your driveway.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

JohnnySavs posted:

You can get a propane torch at Home Depot for killing weeds and, uh, wreaking havok. It would probably be a pretty fun and inefficient way to clear your driveway.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

My friend has this for clearing snow in his driveway. It's similar to the one from home depot linked earlier, except he has a backpack for the tank. The only thing he said you need to be careful about is not using it near the car, otherwise it will likely melt parts of it. It's extremely stupid and he lives in exurban Virginia, so I don't know how effective it would be in areas with lots of snow.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Volume posted:

we have one but I refuse to use it because ever since day one of buying it, it's been nothing but trouble and hassle. The snow always clumps in the chute and just sort of dribbles out like an old mans ejaculation. Then I have to get it clean and then I find out it's been so compressed that it's turned to ice so then I have to get some hot water (Because for some stupid reason it's 2015 and I still don't own a flame thrower) to melt it and inevitably this hot water will spill on my glove and give me loving huge blisters and after the third year in a row like that I just bought a decent shovel.

maybe you just suck. try moving somewhere that does not get snow

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
my driveway is heated with magma from the earths core and steam

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

JB50 posted:

Just get one of these for $35:

and do this:

Heres the home depot link for a $50 one. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Inferno-Propane-Torch-Kit-KH825-01/100341111

This review: This tool has many uses but the one I use this for is melting ice around the house. No more chipping with an axe, shovel or dumping harmful salt on the walkway or driveway to clear built up ice and snow. Very fast, safe and easy.
This tool has many safety features that other similiar ones do not.
A great buy.

drat I might buy one myself, MN winters are a bitch.

I've got one of these guys.

The problem with using it for snow/ice is that it takes longer than you'd think. You have to kind of hold it there for a while for packed snow or ice, and it doesn't do a very large area at once. That one might be a bit bigger, but I can't imagine it would be much faster. Plus you would still have to put salt down after so it doesn't just re-freeze.

It's probably useful if you've got a thick chunk of ice that you need to remove, not so much for clearing an entire driveway.

It is pretty awesome for weeds though. I've got a fence that tends to get stuff growing up into it that tools can't really remove because it gets woven through the wire. I spray them with something to kill them, then hit it with the torch a few days later to burn off the dead plants. Just have to wet down the ends where I want the fire to stop and keep water handy in case it goes too far.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

dad gay. so what posted:

my driveway is heated with magma from the earths core and steam

do you use a dedicated steam box or just a regular pc?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It would probably be cheaper in the end to hire someone to clear your driveway.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
honestly OP, it looks like flamethrowers actually suck at melting a driveway. this will take much longer than just shoveling it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1CO6MYt8k

Ministry of Pork
Jun 14, 2012
Snow blower level up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAes7fFpgeY

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Stab posted:

It would probably be cheaper in the end to hire someone to clear your driveway.

The thought did cross my mind to utilize local child labor

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Zahgaegun posted:

Why not shovel *and* use some fire sparingly? There is a middle between dying of a heart attack in your driveway and burning down the neighbors fence.

Honestly I don't give a gently caress I've got a kick-rear end Ariens two stage yall can kiss my show blowing rear end, burn your loving house down I double dog dare you

Real pros use a flame shovel. If you sync up the flaming and shoveling properly you can do double damage to a snow drift.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Spazzle posted:

flame shovel

don't give windows 98 any ideas :mad:

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
actually op trying to flame ice off driveways is extremely inefficient and slow

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Your Rain posted:

actually op trying to flame ice off driveways is extremely inefficient and slow

yeah, flame throwers are for catching flammable material on fire. there isn't enough fuel in them to really melt something cold

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah if you're using some weak rear end bitch flame

look at that poo poo it's orange it's not nearly hot enough

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Don't waste your money.
Just get an eight dollar bug sprayer at Home Depot, fill it with gasoline, spray down your driveway and light the fucker off.

Remove all doubt, sez I.

E: Gasoline kills roaches too.
Two for one.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 17, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

zimboe posted:

Don't waste your money.
Just get an eight dollar bug sprayer at Home Depot, fill it with gasoline, spray down your driveway and light the fucker off.

Remove all doubt, sez I.

Two for one.

i don't think a bug sprayer has any kind of backflow prevention, wouldn't you just blow yourself up?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

zimboe posted:

Don't waste your money.

Remove all doubt, sez I.

Two for one.

please record this with periscope tia

I have a lurid curiosity to watch someone enfield it in real time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rutibex posted:

i don't think a bug sprayer has any kind of backflow prevention, wouldn't you just blow yourself up?

Move the sprayer away from the gasoline before you light it.

• Locked thread