Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

AstroWhale posted:

Also the soundtrack is amazing. And the James Bond references. And the gadgets. And the story. And the bosses :allears:

I can't remember where I read/heard it, but there was a deliberate attempt to make the soundtrack as completely un-Bond like as a possible to give it its own identity - Bond is all strings and brass, NOLF is Lounge and Bossa Nova. :v:

I played NOLF2 first, was blown away by how fun it was, and then tracked down NOLF1, and was enthralled. Glad to see an LP of it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oh man this game looks amazing, I can't wait to see how it'll turn out. Eagerly looking forward to watching this through.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I never expected a random mook to start talking about correlation vs causation but NOLF managed to pull it off - it's amazing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

I can't remember where I read/heard it, but there was a deliberate attempt to make the soundtrack as completely un-Bond like as a possible to give it its own identity - Bond is all strings and brass, NOLF is Lounge and Bossa Nova. :v:
Interesting, because this game's theme song always sounded plenty Bond-y to me. Are you sure you didn't read it about the second one?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So part of the included CDs for the game include a bunch of remixed music tracks which aren't heard in the game itself. I feel pretty confident in saying that the additional tracks are definitely not Bond-ish, but I'll leave that up for interpretation. I'm working on a good way to put them online at the moment.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

anilEhilated posted:

Interesting, because this game's theme song always sounded plenty Bond-y to me. Are you sure you didn't read it about the second one?

Looks like I was misremebering the quote - it was on the wikipedia page;

quote:

Whitmore's task as composer was "to capture the flavor of the '50s/'60s spy genre, without infringing on any existing copyrights." In order to avoid any legal troubles over music from the James Bond franchise of films and games, Whitmore was initially asked to refrain from using brass instruments; a directive he compared to "being asked to produce a blues album without guitars".

And that led me to this article about the music.

"Composer posted:

The powers that be quickly got over the legal paranoia, however. I did have one theme refused because of a subtle P5, m6, M6 melodic progression (made famous by composer John Barry), even though I thought it was the least ‘Bond-ish’ of my themes. Actually, I drew more influence from German composer Peter Thomas, whose film scores have more of the lighthearted feel we were after. The Barbarella soundtrack was also required listening.

Welp. Wrong about the Bond.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I would be completely behind this. I don't know many companies that can pull off humorous games, but Valve definitely has the writing staff to do it. Another bond parody type game would be something I'd pre-order and play the hell out of.
Hell TF2 is similar to NOLF aesthetically and they both take place during the 60's.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Right! So! I finished putting uploading/together a playlist of bonus music and remixes that were included in the game box. This also has the title track. I figure since the game is likely not getting a re-release and it's not so easy to find these days, this is the only chance some people will get to hear it!

In The Lounge: Bonus Music and Remixes

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Aw poo poo son I loved NOLF. One of the best FPS games of the day.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
I love this game! It just oozes everything I love about the sixties. The writing is great and it makes for the best reason to be stealthy, you don't get caught you hear more funny dialogue. NOLF 2 is a great improvement on the first game, while it's expansion isn't great I think it is an ok little action campaign.
I really wish there were more games with this kind of fun atmosphere, the only ones I can think of are Team Fortress 2 and Evil Genius. The 60s is a great setting wish there were more games to have fun with it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
You look like a man who needs a monkey! :v:

Misfortune In Morocco
Scene 2/Polsy

I'd say this is the first scene where the game really hits its stride. And it comes so early!

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 19, 2015

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Does the video stop at 25:34 for anyone else?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, it hangs up there for some reason. Skip a few seconds ahead and it'll still work (though at oddly reduced quality).

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm...not getting the same issues on Youtube. I can reupload, it but that's weird. 25:34 doesn't have any hangup for me on the hard drive or on Youtube. If there's more complaints I'll reupload it and see if that fixes it!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes sir! I mean, no, sir! I mean yes to the first part and no to the second part. Sir!

I'll make a complaint if it hangs in about 25 minutes. :v:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I can confirm it hangs for me, too.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
It did not hang for me. A browser issue, perhaps? I was watching it on Firefox.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure about that but I could swear some of the moroccan goons' voicework is done by Bruno's VA trying to mask his British accent with mixed degree of success.
Anyway, note the drunk guy in green suit. He's bit of a recurring gag who pops up in some rather unexpected places.
Also note the level design; we're running through the same place twice but it's hella more action-packed the second time around with the bombs and hostages as opposed to the first time spent sneaking and exploring. Not a bad lesson for modern games there, too bad no one listened.

e: No hanging here; maybe it was still processing?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Wow, that last scene.

That guy is a grade-A certified MORON. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aumanor posted:

It did not hang for me. A browser issue, perhaps? I was watching it on Firefox.
No problems for me either, also with Firefox.

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure about that but I could swear some of the moroccan goons' voicework is done by Bruno's VA trying to mask his British accent with mixed degree of success.
Yes they sound very similar. At first I thought it was supposed to be Bruno in disguise or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I didn't get any hangups watching on an iPhone.

Anyways, I did a little testing and it seems that the Petri .38 and P38 deal almost the same damage. IMFDB claims the revolver is more powerful, but in my experience both are reliable 2 or 3 shot kills as long as you're not making limb hits. The main advantage is that it has two ammo types later in the game that the P38 can't use, one of which is totally unique to it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's also a very good reason to get familiar with the revolver's handling: you'll be relying on it in a couple of fairly desperate situations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Yeah it's a browser issue. It stops working at the 25 minute mark or so on Chrome but I can watch it just fine on Firefox.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wow, you're releasing videos at an impressive pace. For your efforts, do you want a monkey?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We're a little early in the game so far, but I will say that NOLF actually has a surprising amount of variety in its missions and gameplay. I'd best compare it to the console versions of 007 Nightfire.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I think you might want to work on your one-liners...IN HELL!

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
So in less than half an hour both the mentor and The AMERICAN were killed. I know the second one was kind of the guys own fault but I really our track record improves.

8_Escape fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 20, 2015

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

As usual, Some of the mission comments are rather amusing.

For example, shoot the monkey.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How could you be enough of a monster to shoot the monkey? Do you want his children to starve!?

This dialogue is great.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

double nine posted:

Wow, you're releasing videos at an impressive pace. For your efforts, do you want a monkey?
Are you insulting my monkey?!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Another Chrome user here - it hangs in that spot for me, too. I've been holding off on updating Chrome, so maybe that'll fix it.

edit. Nope, still hangs on Chrome at 25:34ish.

racerabbit fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 20, 2015

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Night10194 posted:

How could you be enough of a monster to shoot the monkey? Do you want his children to starve!?

This dialogue is great.

You can also be a jerk and shoot Bruno's body, though why you'd want to is beyond me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sel Nar posted:

You can also be a jerk and shoot Bruno's body, though why you'd want to is beyond me.

You can do something else with the body, with one of your inventory items. The details are probably best left to much later in the LP, though, for sake of spoilers of what the item and reaction are.

For the record, shooting his body gives you a game over for desecrating his corpse.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Yeah, I got a hang at 25:34, too. Managed to skip past it. Glad I did! This game is fantastic, and I'm not sure why I've never managed to hear about it until now.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So basically, killing THE AMERICAN was a thing, but it's pretty plain to me that this whole thing was more of a setup to kill Bruno and Cate.

Also, I much prefer if you do grab as much of the intel as you can, Scruffy. So far, if little else it's been useful for gleaning just exactly how much homework H.A.R.M.'s done on our girl here.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't think Bruno's really dead. I EXPECT PLOT TWISTS.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Derek Barona posted:

So basically, killing THE AMERICAN was a thing, but it's pretty plain to me that this whole thing was more of a setup to kill Bruno and Cate.

Also, I much prefer if you do grab as much of the intel as you can, Scruffy. So far, if little else it's been useful for gleaning just exactly how much homework H.A.R.M.'s done on our girl here.

Oh yeah, I second this! The Intel is too wonderful to miss!

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
Does anyone mind for a moment for me to mention the outfits, god those leisure suits with the fez, are amazing pure camp! I also love that git up Cate is wearing to so groovy.

Also this whole stage of the game reminds me of the movie OSS 117. A great french comedy where a spy is sent to Egypt. Trailer below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw0tlOdn5Mc

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game absolutely adores what it's parodying and totally gets what makes it work, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

Are you insulting my monkey?!

Someone get this monkey off my back.

• Locked thread