Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So, Bruno and the senator are dead. Smithy is gonna blow a gasket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, so far Cate's career in the spying world isn't exactly illustrious. Good thing UNITY is so undermanned.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
To be fair to Cate, it's not like the plan called for Bruno to get killed, and the Ambassador was a lost cause. Extenuating circumstances, and all that jazz. Besides, everyone gets a mission turning south every once in a while.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Yeah, but it'll be more dramatic if the bosses go "UNACCEPTABLE! This is your LAST CHANCE to prove yourself!".

Well, I guess the fat one might see reason. But ol' Smithers? Heh.

(Game rules, Cate Archer is everything Roger Moore's James Bond wasn't.)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I really wish you hadn't shot those guys chatting up the girl. He looked like he had a shot there with his smooth talking. :smith:

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I wonder if the guy who doesn't know what Archer looks like ignores you if you pass him.

I'm also super stoked you're doing NOLF. It's one of my favorite games and your Evil Within LP was ace. And yeah, get as many files and convos as you can and want to. I don't think it disrupts the game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, it froze for me too, on Chrome.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Samovar posted:

Yeah, it froze for me too, on Chrome.

35:25. I was able to skip ahead of it and play it to the end, but there might be something wrong at that point in the video.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Weird. You can skip past it but it does seem to have issues on Chrome. How bizarre. Works fine on Firefox. Maybe it'll screw up some other videos too :v:

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I love the Austin Powers joke in the interrogation scene. I should've figured that they would put in an Austin Powers joke somewhere. Asking a guy 3 times and he divulges information is hilarious.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He's also dressed exactly like Will Ferrell in that movie, so there's that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

berryjon posted:

To be fair to Cate, it's not like the plan called for Bruno to get killed, and the Ambassador was a lost cause. Extenuating circumstances, and all that jazz. Besides, everyone gets a mission turning south every once in a while.

Yeah but having your 1st mission go to hell?

Just look at how Snake ended up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So, Bruno and the senator are dead. Smithy is gonna blow a gasket.

Scruffy did mention in the first video that you make regular trips back to UNITY for more training. And yeah, Smithy and Fat Guy talk to you about how all of your missions go.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I really wish you hadn't shot those guys chatting up the girl. He looked like he had a shot there with his smooth talking. :smith:

NOLF1 was the first game that occasionally made me NOT want to shoot (some of) the bad guys. Sure he's a hired killer, but now I know he has a daughter. Honestly with some of the surprisingly subtle things this game has going on alongside the incredibly obvious things I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the intention.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Kibayasu posted:

NOLF1 was the first game that occasionally made me NOT want to shoot (some of) the bad guys.
IIRC, if Care doesn't have a weapon out, she can still make a melee attack - which is a 60's Karate Chop. If you sneak up behind someone and do that, you can knock them out in one blow, which is sorta useful a few levels from now where stealth is encouraged.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
I didn't expect much of the writing in this game for a reason that I can't properly identify, but I was being an idiot. It hits that perfect note between earnest and camp, where you have a guy threatening to spit on a monkey in one scene, and your old mentor dying in your arms in another, and it all manages to fit together somehow. I'm quite impressed. I'm reminded of TimeSplitters: Future Perfect in a way, which I'm also rather fond of, though the tone in there is more strictly parodic than affectionate.

Anyway, this is one of those games I've been interested in for a while but figured I'd never get to experience, so you got me on board for the duration!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Regarding Smithy and "fat guy", if I remember correctly, his name is rather predictably Mr. Jones. Not sure if you're told that or if it's intel-only, though.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

anilEhilated posted:

Regarding Smithy and "fat guy", if I remember correctly, his name is rather predictably Mr. Jones. Not sure if you're told that or if it's intel-only, though.

I believe he has a nameplate on his desk actually.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

berryjon posted:

IIRC, if Care doesn't have a weapon out, she can still make a melee attack - which is a 60's Karate Chop. If you sneak up behind someone and do that, you can knock them out in one blow, which is sorta useful a few levels from now where stealth is encouraged.

Welp, looks like we're going to need an orphan counter for this LP now.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
...A guy named Clark who is a Russian spy with a fake marriage to a woman named Martha?
Anyone else watched The Americans?

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 21, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Time to effect an escape from Morocco!

Misfortune In Morocco
Scene 3/Polsy

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I can't believe I didn't know about this game before the LP. The attention to detail, the dialogue, it all brings a weirdly refreshing feeling of nostalgia to me.

Is the game a bit easy or is that just because you've learned what to expect where?

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
From what I remember, this game is difficult. Especially later.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
These mooks with semi-autos aren't so dangerous just yet, but they can chew through your armour really quickly given the chance.

Man, I really wish I could find my game CD.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Fleve posted:

I can't believe I didn't know about this game before the LP. The attention to detail, the dialogue, it all brings a weirdly refreshing feeling of nostalgia to me.

Is the game a bit easy or is that just because you've learned what to expect where?

The first mission is pretty easy. The difficulty gets pretty hard if your trying to sneak and get all the conversations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Stealthing is a lot harder than straight shooting and straight shooting isn't all that easy itself later on in the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of HARM taking things... not seriously: we didn't really see the rest of its top echelon yet - Volkov is competent but has a pretty bad hand at choosing his lieutenants. That being said, you'll probably end up feeling a lot for the common HARM mooks; the game stresses that in the world of NOLF, "evil organization henchman" is a perfectly ordinary corporate career choice. Although I don't think it's until the sequel before we encounter HARM's HR department...

Regarding the difficulty, stealthing tends to be really useful in the levels it's not forced on you. Later on you'll be facing overwhelming odds and just about everything in this game is hitscan; you'll learn to appreciate that moment of surprise.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I mean, I could totally see agents of these opposing agencies catching casual lunch with one another before going back on the clock and trying to kill eachother.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Given how easily you seem to be able to blow through these levels, would it perhaps be too much to ask if you did an intel roundup at some point as either a bonus video or just a bonus thing for the thread? If their placement is random and they don't show up in the video, that's not really something you can do anything about, but I'd really like to see as many of them as possible.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

dscruffy1 posted:

Weird. You can skip past it but it does seem to have issues on Chrome. How bizarre. Works fine on Firefox. Maybe it'll screw up some other videos too :v:
Just FYI I'm using Chrome and didn't have any problems :shrug:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Last time we screwed up!

This time we get a second chance to screw up!

Requiem For A Spy
Scene 1/Polsy

Berlin By Night
Scene 1/Polsy

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
To this day I still say "I'd rather run you over with my car." Those code phrases :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If I remember right, the Statsi really DID have ears to pretty much every keyhole in east Germany. Wasn't it one of the most pervasive surveillance states in history?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

If I remember right, the Statsi really DID have ears to pretty much every keyhole in east Germany. Wasn't it one of the most pervasive surveillance states in history?
That's part of it but all the Eastern Bloc countries thrived on carefully cultivated paranoia: getting people to snitch on one another is a great suppressive tool.
Those codephrases are forever burned in my memory.

edit: Dogs are assholes, but we'll eventually get one of the coolest dog-disposal tools in history.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 23, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Mr. Smith is certainly not lacking in the snark department either. I can’t get enough of the dialogue in this game.

Also, the German sign in front of the compound reads (well, I hope I have my Umlauts right):
"Beide Bürgersteige und Fahrbahn gehören zum Sowjetsektor. Vorgarten und Häuser der rechten Straβenseite gehören zum Westsektor."

Or in English:
Both sidewalks and the road belong to the Sovjet sector. Front yards and houses of the right side of the street belong to the West sector.

And, searching for that text has led me to find that that's actually a very real DDR-era sign.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I will not be surprised later on to find Mr. Smith is the traitor, given how this genre goes. Mind you, I also won't be surprised if it turns out he was right and Bruno IS the traitor all along, but again, spy genre.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I love those agent sign/countersign conversations.

And Mandatory FPS Sewer had me cracking up. I don't know how I forgot that one. Such a nice little detail.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Derek Barona posted:

I will not be surprised later on to find Mr. Smith is the traitor, given how this genre goes. Mind you, I also won't be surprised if it turns out he was right and Bruno IS the traitor all along, but again, spy genre.

Or comedy option: They're both the traitor and were simultaneously trying to destroy one another. Their earlier British-Off was a secret attempt to both prove the other was the weaker for their secret masters.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

My German is incredibly weak, but isn't 'geh zum Teufel' more literally 'go to the Devil?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Generally you don't translate things literally, especially swear words; they lose a lot of their meaning that way.

• Locked thread