Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I have a solution for dscruffy1 if his liberal translations are an issue.

I know everyone's said it already, but the dialog in this game is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

Atomikus posted:

Generally you don't translate things literally, especially swear words; they lose a lot of their meaning that way.
German does have some really colorful swears, however, which do translate directly, albeit that aren't as powerful without the cultural understanding. A personal favorite is "Lech mich am Arsch, du Drecksau!" which literally translates to "Lick my rear end, you filthy pig!"

PS I like that the German spies have accents that are...kinda German? Like, if you're gonna hit the stereotype hard on the "every TH is a Z" front, but then none of the W's get changed to V's, I mean, go big or go home, right?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Time to continue our misadventures in the depths of Eastern Germany.

Berlin By Night
Scene 2/Polsy

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is not the worst library. That one's coming in the sequel. Although there is a fair bit of intel in there...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I dunno, this library seemed to have a bunch of binders on the shelves instead of actual books. Binders are lovely to shelve so it's the worst library for the poor guy who has to reshelve everything!

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
That dang alarm! If there's one thing that I really enjoy about the sequel, it's that the alarm does eventually turn off after a while, so if you're lost and trying to find that one last mission objective, you don't have the added irritation of that siren constantly blaring.

I was never very good at stealth in this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the sequel kind of goes around it because it has enemies respawning whether the alarm is on or not.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
And now we encounter the end of our adventures in Berlin. But who is that dashing man Scot at the end?

Berlin By Night
Scene 3/Polsy

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

But who is that dashing man Scot at the end?
My favorite character, that's who!

Anyway, the the goat experimentation sounds funny but it's not as improbable as you may think.
Neither is Eastern Bloc countries getting hold of Western goods and culture, actually - there was a whole black market running off the few people who had the permission to travel and smuggling was considered pretty much mandatory; an American film tape would be worth its weight in gold. Admittedly, Batman probably didn't make it that far.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 27, 2015

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

My favorite character, that's who!

Anyway, the the goat experimentation sounds funny but it's not as improbable as you may think.
Neither is Eastern Bloc countries getting hold of Western goods and culture, actually - there was a whole black market running off the few people who had the permission to travel and smuggling was considered pretty much mandatory; an American film tape would be worth its weight in gold. Admittedly, Batman probably didn't make it that far.

Eastern Block countries weren't all the same in that regard. It was much easier to smuggle something into Eastern Germany or Poland than it was into Soviet Union (to the extent that people were smuggling poo poo FROM Eastern Germany and Poland into Soviet Union), so it's not implausible that they got their hands on Western films.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
That was one of my favorite cutscenes in the game as well. I agree that the game was and still is pretty ahead of its time in the themes it covers and it only gets better. As unlikely as it may be, Kotaku did an excellent article on Cate Archer (although since it contains spoilers, I suggest giving it a look after the LP is over).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Usually references in media are pretty drat clumsy, but the Batman 66 reference was good in that it was funny even if you didn't know the source.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
My apologies for interrupting the LP, but "Crookz: The Big Heist" is on sale on Steam for less than $10 right now.

As Scruffy is the resident master of heist-related LPs, I thought I'd mention it.

Thank you for putting up the "In The Lounge" music tracks. So many good memories.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I think it's telling how iconic the whole concept is when one immediately thinks of that movie when they hear about re-hydrating a person from powder, even if they're like me and didn't remember the bit about the heavy water. I always remember the world leaders first.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Western movies were certainly popular in Poland. If you lived in East Germany you could even tune in to West German TV!

Also it's CCCP in cyrillic, it's read as "SSSR". Or USSR, in English.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Morholt posted:

If you lived in East Germany you could even tune in to West German TV!
Except for the area around Dresden in the southeast and the far northeastern corner who got dubbed "Valley of the Clueless" because of that.

There's also the anecdote about teachers asking children in school what the clock counting down to the evening news on TV looked like to find out whether the family was watching "Westfernsehen".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, at least it worked. Right next to Germany all we had was a strictly illegal radio receiver in every other attic. It's kind of funny how the communists never got the connection between the huge boom of wireless communication enthusiasts and what they were using their home-made machines for.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
This is how CCCP is read:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Vncudu4iW8

Which I think makes the "English" pronunciation of CCCP in the game positively hilarious

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Both of these scenes are pretty short so I'll just be putting them together for this video :v:

Unexpected Turbulence
Scene 1/2/Polsy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Scottish guy has got his priorities right.

Way back when I played this game I kept shooting the parachute guy and failing several times before I guessed what I was supposed to do. Nowadays I actually pay attention to instructions in games. :downs:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stealing a parachute while having a running gunfight in freefall?

This game knows how to set up an action-spy setpiece.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Oh, the debriefing to come....

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Please be full of hay, please be full of hay!
Even in a game as full of great one-liners as this one, it stands out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

Please be full of hay, please be full of hay!
Even in a game as full of great one-liners as this one, it stands out.

It wasn't full of hay. :smith:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So we can assume that the Scotsman there works for H.A.R.M., right? Which would mean they knew about another one of our missions and just waited for the right moment to get involved without having to deal with the Russians. That's how I'm seeing it so far.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's been explicitly stated we have a mole so that's a pretty safe assumption (does rule out Bruno, though). I wouldn't speculate much further since we haven't really met all of the characters yet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Every video makes me want to play this game for myself, but I can't.

gently caress legal limbo. :smith:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Worthy of note that it's possible to miss the guy entirely and fall through the roof of the barn yourself. I don't remember where I read this, but apparently you can time it just right so that the cutscene bugs out and drops both the goon and Kate through the roof at the same time. Never tried it myself.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Oh hi, its NOLF, one of the first games I cut my teeth on FPSes, and it will always hold a special place in my heart. :allears:

Its basically Austin Powers the video game.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Among the intel items there was a roll of film you missed (near the guards talking about parachutes); the text signaled someone was taking secret photos of Kate while she was changing her dress.

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 29, 2015

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
I played this game a lot ago, but is funny as ever

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 29, 2015

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Klaus88 posted:

Its basically Austin Powers the video game.

This right here is why I never played this game originally. People would describe it as that, and I immediately dismissed it because the Austin Powers humor is obsessed with pointing a giant finger at its own jokes instead of just letting them be funny. But this game? It simply does something funny and moves on. This game isn't Austin Powers the video game, it's Austin Powers done right.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Felinoid posted:

This right here is why I never played this game originally. People would describe it as that, and I immediately dismissed it because the Austin Powers humor is obsessed with pointing a giant finger at its own jokes instead of just letting them be funny. But this game? It simply does something funny and moves on. This game isn't Austin Powers the video game, it's Austin Powers done right.

I starting replaying this because of the LP and it's more Get Smart (with a dash of Top Secret!) than Austin Powers.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So, we got clonked in the head and lost the scientist.

Smithy is going to blow a second gasket.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Smithy is going to blow a second gasket.

That counts as a success in my book :colbert:

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
I'm rear end at stealth games, but I can't help love this game. It has style and humor. That No True Scotsman joke was just delightful.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
After this mission I had a strange bug where I could bring the MPL you use when you're falling, which is fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LoseHound posted:

I'm rear end at stealth games, but I can't help love this game. It has style and humor. That No True Scotsman joke was just delightful.

I'm pretty sure that's the only reason that villain exists. Like, the only reason Colonel Sanders is named that in Spaceballs is so Mel Brooks could have someone say "What's the matter Colonel Sanders, chicken?" and someone in Monolith wanted to make a dumb logical fallacy joke and here we are.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Kibayasu posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the only reason that villain exists. Like, the only reason Colonel Sanders is named that in Spaceballs is so Mel Brooks could have someone say "What's the matter Colonel Sanders, chicken?" and someone in Monolith wanted to make a dumb logical fallacy joke and here we are.

There's also the classic Bond villain's right-hand man who almost always is an incredibly strong walking stereotype of some nationality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

We haven't even seen the best stereotype yet. It's fabulous

• Locked thread