Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
All of that stuff is gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

this guy gets it

for maximum passive agressive goonage, carry around a newspaper and read it whenever the other person is doing their snapchat or whatever

they wont notice but you can post a thread about it i guess

Do this except a book and make it a good book like Fear and Trembling

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Huh huh yeah right ya know? Like get out there and play with some sticks, play kick the can, roll a hoop with a stick down a dusty road. Basically reenact the script from Stand By Me.

Um yes.

One time I didn't touch any devices or distract myself with books or tv or talking or anything for a week and a half and all I did was practice being present and mindful and it was one of the most difficult and rewarding experiences in my life.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Do this except a book and make it a good book like Fear and Trembling

Lol if you don't carry around a complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Um yes.

One time I didn't touch any devices or distract myself with books or tv or talking or anything for a week and a half and all I did was practice being present and mindful and it was one of the most difficult and rewarding experiences in my life.

Ppl need 2 b entrained.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Lol if you don't carry around a complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica

Stop owning me I just picked the last on my kindle list

See....it's me....I'm the millenial staring at my tablet

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

if you're not training to be a Buddhist monk, there's no reason to do that for a week and a half

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

i literally dont give a gently caress op

naem
May 29, 2011

angerbeet posted:

idk my bff jill

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
the thing is you look like a fag and an idiot with your phone in your lap and your chin touching your chest and your mouth hanging slackly open issuing sniggers and snorts at internet memes and anyone could just walk right up to you and put their dick in your mouth but you wouldnt be able to react in time bc your too busy trolling your racist uncle on facebook and woops now youve got a dick in your mouth and no matter how quickly you pull away that already happened and you cant take it back you are left with the sour and salty taste of hobo dick that no amount of swigs of kombucha will erase from your tongue

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

symbolic posted:

if you're not training to be a Buddhist monk, there's no reason to do that for a week and a half

Just like there's no reason to read Shakespeare if you aren't looking for a career in Shakespeare reading?

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
i kinda love when ppl get their phones snatched because it usually means they were walking down the sidewalk shuffling and stumbling like a drunk person staring down at their phone and some enterprising young individual just walked right up and took it and was gone before they could react because they were walking in a large group of people without looking where they were going due to being self centered beyond any capacity for reason

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
txting furiously in the middle of an intersection during rush hour and some day drunk in a beamer shatters your legs and spine is very tragic and sad but one has to remember that their bodies are still tethered to a big world with many moving parts and sharing salon.com's third article about ben carson in that 24 hour period to your facebook compatriots does not render one insubstantial or immaterial in the physical sense

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

wiffle ball bat posted:

does not render one insubstantial or immaterial in the physical sense
though it certainly does in the sense of your value to society

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Just like there's no reason to read Shakespeare if you aren't looking for a career in Shakespeare reading?
yeah, pretty much

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

symbolic posted:

Sure there is, it's great. If it's nice outside i like to just stare into the middle distance for hours and try not to think about anything

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

A Stupid Baby posted:

i like to just stare into the middle distance for hours and try not to think about anything
i get paid to do this for 8 hours every day.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
What im really saying here is that nature is my Iphone 6™

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

symbolic posted:

yeah, pretty much

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Millenials are so terrified of being bored that they forget that the majesty of creation is right in front of them beckoning them to embrace their freedom and becoming.

Instead of soaking in the truth of something divine and simple like a meadow at dusk, they drive themselves into a nihilistic spiritual oblivion by withdrawing from the world and seeking validation from Facebook likes and minion memes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMpdPSpzdGg

where do Internet forums fit in here

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A Stupid Baby posted:

Sure there is, it's great. If it's nice outside i like to just stare into the middle distance for hours and try not to think about anything
i can understand doing that for a few hours since i've done that before myself, but a week and a half?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ashgromnies posted:

where do Internet forums fit in here

I'm the guy in the other room during dinner posting about liberals and subway

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

symbolic posted:

i can understand doing that for a few hours since i've done that before myself, but a week and a half?

A nice Buddhist organization offers free vipassana meditation courses and the shortest one is 10 days long in silence.

Because it is so easy to get worn out and distracted after a little while, most people don't really push it long enough to really see the benefits. The idea is to go full in and practice like a monk so that you can get the basics.

To really practice and learn the technique, it does take some structure to avoid distractions and remain committed.

They merely offer a free place to learn and practice the method long enough to really get past the early learning curve, so that you can keep it up and benefit for life.

I liked practicing on my own from time to time but being able to dedicate my entire mind and effort to the practice for a long time really helped me to learn to relax my volition, let go of expectations and strengthen my perception

https://www.dhamma.org/en/about/vipassana

Commie NedFlanders fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 15, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If anyone is remotely interested on that note, 10% Happier is a great book by Dan Harris which covers some buddhism and his experience with one of those retreats. Its a pretty easy and enjoyable read, especially because he's a skeptic who's kicking and screaming until it clicks for him. I do get noticeably calmer when I put my phone away and take in the scenery for a few minutes. Its a weird feeling because its both really easy and hard to do. Cell phones made it easier to continue being distracted, but at least for me it was always hard stop and reflect anyway. Without a phone, I would have paced at the bus stop thinking about other things.

Its probably because im a ~millennial~, but I don't give a crap about people using their phones. This one born again hippie dude called me out for using my phone while he was in the same room as me and four other people. He wasn't directly talking to me beforehand, nor was I interested in the conversation about in his trip to see a monk in some southeast asian country. But he got noticeably bothered by it. It seems like old folks don't complain as much about phone usage anymore. Either they're converted and pulling out their iPhone too, or they realized no one is going to listen to their rant.

I get the whole benefits of turning off the phone and connecting and stuff, but really, you're just gonna look like a weird old baby if you withhold the house Wifi password from your guests or something.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my phone is often used as a cover to not have to talk to dolts.

dolts complaining that I'm on my phone too much around them is the price that I pay.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
sometimes i take my phone out and look at it

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Y

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Spit on buddahs rear end hole and look at your phone

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Um yes.

I ended a 7 year relationship today cause I didn't get a email or text reply for 23 hours. Hope you took vacation and told every one you wouldn't be checking in so no ambulances showed up to make sure you weren't dead.

*slightly more to that story, but point is people expect you to stay in touch. It's cool to put the drat phone down through a meal or a day with your mom, but checking out for a week would take planning. Peopple want instant satisfaction for everything

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 16, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ChairmanMeow posted:

I ended a 7 year relationship today cause I didn't get a email or text reply for 23 hours. Hope you took vacation and told every one you wouldn't be checking in so no ambulances showed up to make sure you weren't dead.

Quoting this for the horrible regret within 48 hours

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer
If we all didn't do it there'd be peace across the land but as long as someone's looking at their phone I'll be looking at this thread.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

lotsa broken nerds itt without enough internal life to look out the window during a 15 minute bus ride

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

ChairmanMeow posted:

*slightly more to that story, but point is people expect you to stay in touch. It's cool to put the drat phone down through a meal or a day with your mom, but checking out for a week would take planning. Peopple want instant satisfaction for everything

I believe.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I once went out to a restaurant with my friend and her cousin, who has two young daughters. He and his wife gave their iPhones to the kids as soon as they sat down, with little-kid apps or something. It seemed kinda weird to just park little kids with a phone and have them stare at screens, but on the other hand, they were completely quiet and didn't fuss at all, which was beautiful.

I hate staring at screens, but here I am, doing it anyway!! I do really like being able to check twitter or play some picross while in waiting rooms. I spend a lot of time waiting.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

what does this mean chairmanmeow, goons want to know

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i have a phone w ith me at all times. it is stuck up my butt. i call it my dialdo :grin:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

A misanthrope posted:

i have a phone w ith me at all times. it is stuck up my butt. i call it my dialdo :grin:

No wonder your posts are lovely :grin:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

No wonder your posts are lovely :grin:

now you know :shrek:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

That was too judgemental, I'm sorry.

I'm just upset because I look at my devices too much, I'm projecting you see.

live in the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

A misanthrope posted:

now you know :shrek:

:itwaspoo:

• Locked thread