Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I know the dev for Paprika used to post here a couple of years ago. I liked the app well enough but it had some weird Android quirks.

Edit: And it hasn't been updated in a long time.

Updated
January 4, 2015

I use and don't really notice any quirks. However, I've owned it for years and it's been updated maybe 4 times. It's not particularly pretty to look at either, but it does what it's supposed to and I like that you can search all the big recipe sites and import recipes into the app (and you can import recipes from other sites if they are formatted correctly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Well that's stupid. Ugh google...

I'm guessing that their point for subscriptions is that it's an ongoing payment and they can't guarantee that you'll have credit there next time. Same could be said for your bank account, but whatever.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I actually like the MS Outlook client for my non-Gmail e-mail :blush:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

effika posted:

Pushbullet is $40/year now. I like it a lot, but not for that price.

What were the alternatives? I stopped paying attention after finding Pushbullet.

There's still a free version, what pro features do you need?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

THF13 posted:

There's still a free version, what pro features do you need?

Taking action on notifications. So much easier to click something away if I'm at my computer- it doesn't interrupt what I'm doing.

E: I don't mind paying for it, but I can't justify $40/yr to not be slightly annoyed by my phone.

effika fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 17, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Twain of Pain posted:

I just started using Paprika which seems to work pretty well. Not sure if it's worth $5 but it hasn't been a bad use of Google funbux. It's also recommended by The Wirecutter who generally seem to know their stuff.

I tossed Paprika out due to the fact that they charge $20 for a PC interface/version. Screw that.

I'm liking Pepperplate, but I'm also trying out One tsp. which isn't really an app, but also does what I want. Both have a nifty bookmarklet that will copy and paste the recipe into your box (assuming the recipe fits the expected code format.) The benefit of One tsp. is that it is completely cross-platform (a webpage) and you can export and backup your recipes to plain text files. I might be leaning toward One tsp just due to the fact that if I get a new device and development stops, I can still be assured of accessing the page.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

What are people using for recipe storage? I'd like to put a tablet in my kitchen and get rid of the shelf of cookbooks. Basically, I'm looking for something where I can (ideally) copy and paste into a virtual recipe card and save. If nothing else, I need an app that will allow me to save my recipes, and isn't a collection of Food Network recipes (or whatever.)

I'd imagine this would be a perfect use for either OneNote or Evernote. Bonus being you can futz around with the recipes using the PC client as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

spincube posted:

I'd imagine this would be a perfect use for either OneNote or Evernote. Bonus being you can futz around with the recipes using the PC client as well.

That's what I use (Evernote), but I keep my stuff very minimalist and I don't store a lot of recipes. There's nothing like adjusting servings or making shopping lists, which I'd imagine other programs could provide.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Welp, Tasker's back. Hooray.

Do icon pack recommendations count as app talk? I'm using Nova and I'm kinda curious if I'm missing out on a good one.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Meldonox posted:

Do icon pack recommendations count as app talk? I'm using Nova and I'm kinda curious if I'm missing out on a good one.

Maybe better suited for the Android Desktop thread, but I think it fits okay here too. The only icon pack I bother with is Moonshine, but I doubt it ever sees any more additions since it went open source

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

AppleCider posted:

I've been using Mr. Number and Whitepages to filter calls and block spam. While it works well, I'm wondering if anyone has a better recommendation?
Maybe this one? I think it was recommended in the last thread and it has a trial option:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greythinker.punchback&hl=en

BJPaskoff posted:

Are there any good free camera apps? My Nexus 6P and my girlfriend's 5x seem bad at close ups, and unless I'm missing something, the default camera app doesn't have focus modes. Might be a hardware limitation, but I sort of doubt it.
Camera Zoom FX is pretty comprehensive:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=slide.cameraZoom&hl=en

There's also a free version though I haven't tried it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=slide.camZoomFree&hl=en

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Uthor posted:

That's what I use (Evernote), but I keep my stuff very minimalist and I don't store a lot of recipes. There's nothing like adjusting servings or making shopping lists, which I'd imagine other programs could provide.

I've been doing all of this with evernote by simply creating separate "notebooks" so I can separate poo poo as desired.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just got a new phone and I'm really missing the Power Control app that came with the stock launcher with my Nexus 4. How do I get it back?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I just got a new phone and I'm really missing the Power Control app that came with the stock launcher with my Nexus 4. How do I get it back?

Download Power Toggles? What do you need to toggle that isn't in the drop-down shade?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Download Power Toggles? What do you need to toggle that isn't in the drop-down shade?

You know I never once used that. I usually use it to switch Wi-Fi off and on and occasionally the screen brightness (which I so seldom use I don't really need a quick button for it anyway). I'll just use the shade, thanks!

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

Meldonox posted:

I just got minimalistik a couple weeks ago and I have been really happy with it. I posted a screen shot in the android customization thread.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Teaches of Peaches posted:

I just got minimalistik a couple weeks ago and I have been really happy with it. I posted a screen shot in the android customization thread.

I, too, recently bought Minimalistik after about a year of Sorus. It's odd having an icon pack that doesn't have overlays, but it looks too nice to not use it.

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully
:rice:

Thanks for the list.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

pulp rag posted:

I, too, recently bought Minimalistik after about a year of Sorus. It's odd having an icon pack that doesn't have overlays, but it looks too nice to not use it.

Minimalistik isn't showing up on the play store, with a k? So I'm wary of these others.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Meldonox posted:

I've been using Tiny White for a real long time.

Teaches of Peaches posted:

Got a link? Nothing shows up in a play store search.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

bitcoin savant posted:

Maybe this one? I think it was recommended in the last thread and it has a trial option:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greythinker.punchback&hl=en

I'll check that out, thank you.

Torque + a bluetooth OBD II sensor has saved me an awful lot of time troubleshooting fault codes.

ok_dirdel fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 18, 2015

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
Sorry guys not only did I have the name.wrong I thought I put a link. Yay for late night posting. It's materialistik and the link is here. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sikebo.materialistik.material.icons

Admiral_eX_laX
Jul 8, 2009

Historically Inaccurate
Is there an app that does this?

I get mugged, mugger demands i give him password to phone. I give him a dummy password that he enters. The phone unlocks briefly, enough for him to take off. The phone then emails me a picture of mugger, then locks down.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

I get mugged, mugger demands i give him password to phone. I give him a dummy password that he enters. The phone unlocks briefly, enough for him to take off. The phone then emails me a picture of mugger, then locks down.

Ya its called don't leave the house you paranoid twat.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Data thieves must be getting desperate if they are mugging people in the street for the personal data.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

Yes. Setting your phone to sleep instantly with a relatively short screen timeout.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

All security is a matter of tradeoffs...particularly the tradeoff of convenience vs security and AFAIK there is not a non-cloud-based password manager that is as convenient as LastPass.

This is true. I had a subscription to LastPass for a number of years, before they got sold, but got tired of the changes (browser bookmark harvesting, etc), and moved to using various builds of KeePass as a standalone (non-cloud) db that resides across my machines, sync'd to the master on my laptop occasionally.

The android client isn't very fancy, but it has worked reliably, is compatible with the various db formats and encryption types. Apps can be found that run on win/osx/android/linux/iOS and has been problem free, and free.

KeePassDroid

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
All of the sudden, Google music is deleting and re-downloading my pinned music everytime my phone restarts. I have like 18 gigs of pinned music, so it's quite annoying. Thanks, google!!!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Is there anything wrong with Amazon Underground? I seem to recall keeping some old version of Amazon's video app to do my Instant Video viewing but after a recent reset I've been adding back apps again.

If not, is there an old apk from before Underground?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

For icon packs you can't use those with the stock Google launchers can you? I didn't want to spend a buck to try out that Materialistik pack if it turns out I need to install other stuff on top of it, but it is pretty.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Admiral_eX_laX posted:

No, but you can remotely reset your password or wipe your device using Google Device Manager.

Also I'm pretty sure the situation you're describing is not actually a thing that happens.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Is this new?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

For icon packs you can't use those with the stock Google launchers can you? I didn't want to spend a buck to try out that Materialistik pack if it turns out I need to install other stuff on top of it, but it is pretty.

Correct. The only icon packs you can use with the stock launcher are the ones from the Line Deco app because they do some funky poo poo with shortcuts, but the ones you get directly from the Play Store require a third-party launcher.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Just yesterday I got materialistik and nova launcher just so I could use it. I've never used a 3rd party launcher but I have no regrets, it's great.

Now I just need a grenade icon that doesn't suck. (sorry I know this isn't exactly the thread for this)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

Just yesterday I got materialistik and nova launcher just so I could use it. I've never used a 3rd party launcher but I have no regrets, it's great.

Now I just need a grenade icon that doesn't suck. (sorry I know this isn't exactly the thread for this)

One thing I don't think I could give up about Nova is swipe actions for the dock. So for me on the main dock page I have in order: Phone, Hangouts, App drawer, GMail, and Chrome. But if I swipe up from them, I get Contacts, G+, Settings, a folder for security poo poo (Authy/LastPass), and Something.

You can see how they're related to each other (Phone/Contacts, Chrome/Something) but I don't have to have a million icons everywhere even though they're front and center.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Geektox posted:

Is this new?

Unless it's something horribly embarrassing and you don't want to say, what app was this you were buying?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Taffer posted:

I want a good Material icon for SA too.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

kitten smoothie posted:

Unless it's something horribly embarrassing and you don't want to say, what app was this you were buying?

The Material icon pack that was linked earlier, I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I switched from Authy to that Authenticator Plus mentioned in the OP. It was a Good Decision.

The app is simpler, it encrypts your code database locally and syncs between devices via Dropbox.

I wasn't exactly worried about Authy having my poo poo, but switching to Authenticator Plus cost me no features, a little bit of money, and a few minutes of time. All in all, you gain security for little cost.

If you're still using Google Authenticator, you would gain a lot of convenience with only the most hypothetical decrease in security. (As long as you trust Authenticator Plus to actually encrypt the db and not be harvesting your info)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LastInLine posted:

One thing I don't think I could give up about Nova is swipe actions for the dock.

In Apex, I just got rid of the dock altogether. Never really found the need to have the same shortcuts on multiple screens, especially since I only have two of them

Apex hasn't been updated in months, however. Since we'll before Marshmallow came out. That has me worried...

Thermopyle posted:

I switched from Authy to that Authenticator Plus mentioned in the OP. It was a Good Decision.

I don't use Authenticator much (can't decide between it and using SMS), but setting it up on a new phone is a huge PITA. I'm also worried about losing my phone.

Can you just import the db to a new device no problems if you lose your current phone?